SPL XI - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it's been this way since BW was main OU. I can totally get the frustration this causes to the ones that are playing, although as a lurker it is kinda fun I admit. Anyway, pokemon is serious business so you have to be self-sarcastic in order not to lose your peace of mind...

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Unfortunately, it's been this way since BW was main OU. I can totally get the frustration this causes to the ones that are playing, although as a lurker it is kinda fun I admit. Anyway, pokemon is serious business so you have to be self-sarcastic in order not to lose your peace of mind...
If someone punches you in the arm once, you can ignore it. If people keep punching you in the arm in the same spot for 20 years, your arm is still going to bruise whether or not you ignore each individual instance of being punched.

pasy_g

Banned deucer.
If someone punches you in the arm once, you can ignore it. If people keep punching you in the arm in the same spot for 20 years, your arm is still going to bruise whether or not you ignore each individual instance of being punched.
if you are bothered by people punching your arm for 20 years, you might want to consider to not hold your arm in front of other peoples faces and shout at them to punch you

Gratz Classiest!

It is my first SPL journal, my record goes from 3-0 to 4-4 and I played some games poorly, if I can use a sentence to summarize this season, it would be “has a great start, but ends with some pities”. I really enjoyed the process, like talking and testing with you guys. What I can say is thank you for giving me such a GOOD memory, being part of this team is so GOOD!

Special thanks to my “uncle” Rui first. I don’t think I can get bought in SPL without your recommendation. You built for me, tested wiz me, answered my stupid questions, endured my terrible games…You are really a great coach, I would never forget about the help you gave me, thank you.

Big thanks to PDC and Triangle. Thank you for drafting me as a player, draft an unknown player needs courage, and I hope I did not disappoint u guys. When phil left us, u gave me the chance to play on the stage of SPL; When rui was busy, u built for me and test wiz me. It is my pleasure be in ur team and hope we can team up in future.

As I am a BW main player, finch is my idol all the time. He is the most tryhard player I’ve ever seen. Imagine you are playing some other games or drinking outside, when you see finch is writing sth like his strategy or plan in his channel, you will always stop gaming but start talking with finch about his plans. This dude even started building his week 9 team ins week 3! Anyway, if you give me a chance to choose teammate myself in future tournaments, I would always say finchinator, hope I can be the player like him in the future.

The most creative builder in my team would be you, eo, your record cannot reflect your input and capability. I love the style you played and the team you built. Also you are really a nice guy who pmed and comforted me when finch was mad at me (fuck finch). I hope we can play for team china together in the future wcop lol.

When I was drafted, I asked yjh what are z0m and sacri like, are they kind people because he used to team wiz z0m and sacri. The answer is yes, and I feel the same. Both of you have solid records and always bring us good start, it makes me feel less nervous and can play better. Special thanks to sacri for infecting me ur pet phrase lmao.

I cannot imagine the day when Pablo is in my opposing team, it means my team would start with 0-1 lol. 9-0 is such a beast record and u save us many times in crucial moment. Don’t drink too much bro you are still young!

I love kanto and garay a lot, too. I stole every team they used XD. U guys really deserve better records, don’t let luck beat u anymore dudes. I hope we can team up together in the future, same as hml, mre, tman, obi, sg, Jordy, descending and leftiez.

I really hope I can post it in the final thread, but it is not going to happen. I love every player and helper in our channel, as a Chinese saying, goodbye is not goodbye, this is one of my best pokemon memories and hope we can team together in the future! (one more thing, there are a lot of capable Chinese players in Chinese community and I am not the best one. I hope more chances can be given to them in future tournaments and I am sure that they wont let u down. )

The Cryonicles might be the worst franchise in the history of SPL. The team has rarely experienced any form of success, having only made the playoffs twice in 10 editions of the tournament prior to SPL XI. Their last appearance came 6 years ago, when yondie crafted one of the best on-paper rosters I can remember, only to be toppled in the finals by the GOAT franchise. Since then, the Cryonicles have let down their fans year after year. Not even one of Smogon's best drafters, reyscarface, or Smogon's infamous economist, Valentine, could not save the franchise from its destiny. Eventually, Valentine handed off his position to his assistant manager, teal6. teal is many things, but he certainly isn't a competent drafter. His drafts always left much to be desired, as he was blinded by friendship on more than one occasion, leading to ridiculous selections like 10.5k obii. The franchise was an absolute disgrace, as they failed to break into the top 6 on even one occasion under teal's leadership. After coming to terms with his ineptitude and realizing that he would be much better off simply farming clowns as a player instead, teal6 finally decided to relinquish his managing position. The team was then taken over by two veterans: PDC and Triangles. Most people didn't have much hope for this managing core heading into the auction due to their lack of drafting experience and occasionally questionable opinions on the playerbase. They would be starting off with a bit of disadvantage compared to other teams as well, as they would start the tour with no retains to speak of. Could these two really bring the Cryonicles back to the playoffs for the first time since SPL V?

The team started off the auction by picking up resident tryhard Finchinator for 20k. Finch is a solid player, and he was arguably the 3rd best BWer in the pool behind SoulWind and dice. On the surface, 20k is clearly an overpay for Finch; as a player, I would value him at around 15k. That being said, the inexperience of PDC and Triangles makes this pick a bit more justifiable for me. Finch's passion for Smogon is unmatched, and no one besides BKC is probably as invested in SPL as Finchinator is. His tryharding antics are well documented, and he almost certainly assisted PDC and Triangles with the rest of the draft. Finch's "Big Board" has become sort of a meme after its reveal a few years ago; nonetheless, his myriad of opinions on the playerbase almost certainly had a positive impact on the squad. So, overall, this pick was probably fine.

The squad then picked up Eo for 17.5k. Many people including myself were very high on Eo, and the rather defensive nature of SS OU felt like a boon for him as well. This was a pretty good pick to me. The team then selected Tman for 11.5k; based on the official Power Rankings, this was an overpay. Tman was tied with MajorBowman as the highest-paid Doubles player in the tournament, but he was only ranked 5th in the Power Rankings. The general consensus seemed, even among non-Doubles mainers, seemed to be that SMB was the best player in the pool, and he was only 10.5k; this makes the Tman pick look even more questionable. After this, the team picked obii for 5.5k. This felt like a very early point in the draft to be taking substitutes, so I didn't really understand this pick at the time. obii did apparently assist a great deal in the rest of the draft, though, so perhaps this selection was justifiable.

The Cryonicles then decided to make the unwise decision of nominating z0mOG despite wanting no part of him on their roster; they were under the belief that he would almost assuredly be upbid. However, this was not the case, as z0m's personality in tandem with his decision to only sign up for ADV meant that no other team was willing to take a chance on him. Despite the fact that this purchase was accidental, I felt that it was a great pick-up nonetheless. z0m is easily worth over 3k, and with Triangles' ADV support, I figured that z0m could easily notch 4 or 5 wins against a sub-par playerpool. This was one of the first clear steals of the draft to me, and I thought it could help recuperate most of the value the team had lost with their earlier selections. The team's next selection was Sacri', whom they acquired for 20.5k. This felt like a fair price considering how hyped he was as a player; I thought this was a fine selection as well. They then acquired Updated Kanto for 13.5k, who had rebounded after a few mediocre tours with a solid performance in Snake III. I've been a big Kanto fan since he impressed me in his breakout tour in SPL IX, and after his solid Snake showing, I figured that he had the potential to smash the terrible ORAS player pool. This was another very sold pick up for the squad.

The team then managed to acquire the #1 player in the LC Power Rankings, Pablo, for only 6.5k. This was easily one of the steals of the draft; LC prices were rather strange, and it's unclear how such a hyped player was so cheap. Despite his hiatus from the game, he did have some solid results in the tier in the past, and the rather mediocre state of the playerbase made him a safe pick to perform admirably. The Cryos were humming along nicely, getting some solid value picks in z0m and Pablo and amassing a nice core of players. But, of course, every manager in this tour has to have an aneurysm at some point in the draft, I suppose. The Cryonicles, for SOME REASON, decided that it would be wise to draft Leftiez for 16.5k. Leftiez was a notable player in the past, but we all know that the clutches of the crust rule are hard to escape from. Not to mention, Leftiez was never a sheet warrior; he was negative on the sheet heading into this SPL, in fact. Nevertheless, I thought he had a solid shot of putting together a reasonably good season; he was simply about 9k? too expensive. If that pick wasn't bad enough, the team then squandered some more value by drafting Mr.E for 10.5k. I've been telling people to draft MrE for eons; he's a decent GSC player that will most likely grab 4-ish wins. That being said 10.5k was a bit too much for my liking; I value him at around 6-7k. The GSC playerpool was pretty bad, though, so this pick was fine in a vacuum since it wasn't too crazy of an overpay.

The team's next selection was some random named HML am for 4.5k for RBY. I had absolutely no idea who this was, but I liked the move since the team was clearly trying to spend as little as possible in the variance meme tier. The Cryonicles then rounded out their draft by taking Garay Oak and Jirachee for 3k each. There was really no evidence that Garay could succeed on the big stage in non-lower tiers, so this pick felt like sort of a desperation move for me. Jirachee, on the other hand, is a pretty known quantity. He is infamously terrible on the sheet, despite his rather lofty price tags in several SPLs. That being said, he does have a solid foundation in DPP, so buying him for 3k in the thinking gen felt fine to me. The Cryonicles also had DPP enthusiast Osgoode as a helper; I figured that his builds could definitely enhance Jirachee's performance. They also picked up another random named shawyu for 3k, who would prove to be an important part of the team later on.

The masses did not seem to be aboard the Cryonicles bandwagon, as they landed below the consensus "big 3" of the Tyrants / Wolfpack / Sharks. I, on the other hand, was pretty enamored with this team from the beginning. I thought they could easily get a playoff spot and put them 2nd in my rankings. I liked the majority of their draft, and especially liked the fact that they wisely decided to only spend 7.5k on the two variance tiers. Despite some pretty strange moves such as their decision to spend 16.5k on a crust player, the managers somehow managed to navigate the draft successfully and create what appeared to be a solid team on-paper, at least to me.

Things did not start out too well for the Cryonicles, however. They lost Week 1 to the Classiest, which revealed some cracks in their icy shell. Leftiez lost his first game to blargh, which would be a harbinger of things to come. It's never a good sign when your expensive crust player drops his first game; the wheels were already starting to come off for Leftiez. In addition, MrE decided to randomly slap a Smeargle onto a standard team and got absolutely demolished by anti, a good player with little GSC experience on the big stage. These two losses, as well as the overall week loss, were concerning, but I felt that the talent on the roster could overcome an 0-1 start. From here, the Cryos would start rolling. They won their next 2 match-ups, taking down the BIGs and one of the pre-season favorites in the Tyrants. However, despite this victories, the team still had some issues. Jirachee had seemingly vanished out of thin air some time during Week 2, so the team was forced to turn to their rookie, shawyu. Luckily for them, the thinking gen is one of the best tiers for unproven rookies to get slotted in to. With Osgoode's support, shawyu managed to start the season 3-0. Leftiez, on the other hand, would not be so fortunate. The crust rule once again proved that it should not be taken lightly, as Leftiez got smashed 3 games in a row. The team even tried to flex him to SS OU, but to no avail, as he was unable to take down Christo. Buying Leftiez for 16.5k was clearly one of the worst decisions of the entire draft, and the move continued to look worse and worse as the weeks progressed.

Due to Leftiez' inability to win, the Cryonicles were forced to search for other alternatives. They decided that it was in their best interest to ship him off to the BIGs for...soulgazer? This move seemed pretty weird to me, since SG was completely unproven in OU tiers going into this season, and was only worth 3.5k in the original auction. To make this trade even stranger, the team came up with a stipulation that, if Leftiez miraculously took down bro fist in Week 4, the BIGs would have to add Descending to the trade. This convoluted trade proposal seemingly defied all logic, at least to me. If Leftiez was good enough to somehow beat arguably the best player on the site, why on earth would you ever trade him for sg and a filler character in the first place? It just defied logic. And, to absolutely everyone's surprise, Leftiez actually DID manage to defeat John. SG and Descending now found themselves on the Cryos, as the team decided to trade away 16.5k for 6.5k worth of assets. This trade looked a lot better BEFORE Leftiez had beaten bro fist; if he could take down bro fist of all people, surely he can take down some lesser names in the coming weeks. It's not like SG is some OU world-beater or something. It should be noted that Leftiez was apparently rather inactive, while SG is generally pretty active in team tours, so that was a big factor in the trade as well. In addition, SG is a known lower tier sheet warrior, though, so perhaps he could transfer some of that prowess to SS OU and give the team the wins they so desperately wanted from that slot.

The team managed to take down the Sharks after Leftiez astounding victory over John, putting the team at a solid 3-1 record. The team slipped a little bit the following week, tying the Raiders after Eo got upset by a random named Vulpix03. Regardless, the team was still in a very strong position, and I ranked them 1st overall in my mid-season Power Rankings. The Cryonicles absolutely obliterated the 1st-place Ruiners 10-2 in Week 6; after tying the moribund Scooters in Week 7 and losing to the upstart Wolfpack in Week 8, however, the team found itself needing to get 1 point, most likely, to clinch a playoff spot in Week 9. Luckily for them, their final opponent was the worst team in SPL: the Tigers. The Tigers were an absolute abomination, and had just come off an absolutely disastrous performance against the Raiders in Week 8. The Cryonicles weren't too comfortable, though, as the ghosts of Finchinator's past tormented the team and made many of them stand on pins and needles for the entire week. To absolutely no one's surprise, though, the Cryonicles absolutely washed the Tigers, setting up a date with the Classiest in the first round of the playoffs.

The team's main carry was Pablo, who managed to exceed the expectations of even his biggest supporter's and wash all his opponents to claim an undefeated 9-0 record heading into the playoffs. z0mog also managed to put forth a crazy 7-2 performance, albeit with the assistance of a crazy amount of good fortunate. Finch and Sacri' were also doing well, while Eo and Kanto were slightly underperforming. The rest of the team was all doing pretty decent / average as well, with the exception of MrE, who was sitting at a lowly 3-6 record. All in all, though, the Cryonicles looked to be in prime position to continue their solid season and reach the finals.

However, we must not forget that the Cryonicles are, in fact, the worst franchise in SPL. It seems that they had only avoided their date with destiny for a brief 9-week period, as their semifinals series with the Classiest would be one of the most one-sided affairs in recent memory. It all started with Raiza getting some good fortune to secure a win against Finchinator; after this, Eo fell to Relous. Raiza and Relous entered the playoffs with a combined 2-14 record, so losing to both of these players was a severe blow to the Cryonicles' championship hopes. However, the gods did not want the Cryos to be out just yet, as they blessed MrE with scores of luck and put him in prime position to upset Anti and bring the series to 1-2. Unfortunately, MrE refused to accept this generous donation, as he threw away his Zapdos and SOMEHOW managed to get swept by Skarmory. To top it all off, MrE somehow had the gall to blame his demise on hax:

[21:10:20] +Mr.E: wish his lax rolled rest ever tbh

This log is still mind-boggling, even one day later; it seems inconceivable that he could possibly think he got haxed in that game. His teammates seemed to agree with me too, as their harsh comments eventually caused MrE to leave the team Discord in a fit of anger. He apparently said that he would rejoin should the team reach the finals, but the Cryonicles were currently staring at an 0-3 hole with Tamahome still to play for the Classiest, so the odds that they would reach the finals felt slim at best. Sacri' kept the team afloat for a little while longer, though, taking down a red-hot suapah and bringing the series to 3-1. The next Cryonicles' player, HML am, would not be so lucky, though. The gods were out for blood after MrE had spited them a day earlier, and they laid waste to HML am's RBY squad by blessing TIN's Tauros with copious amounts of good fortune that would make even Fear jealous. The team now had to put their faith in...obii? LOL Yes, it's true. The season almost certainly came down to a 3-14 Jerk player the Cryonicles randomly decided to start in the semifinals for reasons that still remain unclear to me. Could he channel some of ABR's magic and bring the team the win it so desperately needed to stay alive in the playoffs? Well, obii put forth a good effort, but he was unable to overcome a disadvantageous matchup. Garay was next to fall, using a rather questionable ORAS team and losing to Persephone.

The team now sat in a 6-1 whole, and now needed SG to bail them out of it in the thinking gen. The gods tried to sabotage him on multiple occasions throughout the game, but SG persevered, and managed to bring home the win in one of the closest games in recent memory. At 2-6, the team was still alive, but things still appeared to be looking very grim. The Classiest decided to stop toying with their food, and sent out their executioner: Tamahome. Did z0mOG have enough magic left in him to take down one of the Classiest's top 2 players and give his team a shot to take the series to a tiebreak? Well, no LOL Tama ended the Cryonicles season in disappointing fashion, as the team could do nothing but watch as their season went up in smoke before SPL Sunday even arrived.

Overall, the Cryonicles had a nice run. They exceeded many people's expections, and made the playoffs for only the 3rd time in franchise history. I did rank them 2nd in my Power Rankings, so I suppose they fell a tad short of my own expectations. That being said, they still had a respectable season; anything can happen in the playoffs, and the team clearly suffered from some misfortune in the semifinals. The team made some intelligent drafting decisions, despite having a few overpays throughout the auction. The one major flaw of the draft, however, was the decision to take Leftiez for 16.5k. That selection was absolutely baffling at the time, and only continued to look worse and worse as the season progressed. If the team didn't waste so much money on him, perhaps they could have upgraded some of their weaker slots. That being said, this was an encouraging season for a franchise that has been rotting in the SPL wasteland for countless seasons. Managers PDC and Triangles showed that they have what it takes to build a competent a roster, and, if some luck breaks their way, I think that they might have what it takes to finally deliver this franchise its first trophy in the near future.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
However, the gods did not want the Cryos to be out just yet, as they blessed MrE with scores of luck and put him in prime position to upset Anti and bring the series to 1-2. Unfortunately, MrE refused to accept this generous donation, as he threw away his Zapdos and SOMEHOW managed to get swept by Skarmory. To top it all off, MrE somehow had the gall to blame his demise on hax
I'm not going to fucking explain the specifics of why this is horseshit because you asswipes just do it on purpose to aggravate me because everyone has a fucking hateboner for me

How the fuck is it scores of luck if my opponent gets equally lucky back? That's just neutral luck. And if I don't get shitty luck early on, I wouldn't need good luck on the backend to catch back up and make it a competitive battle. Early luck matters more than late luck because it forces the player on their back foot to start taking bigger risks to stay afloat or catch back up.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
In theory your argument is sound but I couldn't find early instances of hax from kratosmana. Actually forcing rest on skarmo and snorlax was more like things going in your favor to begin with. Letting Zapdos die and losing the best answer to Skarmory wasn't a wise decision nevertheless.

That being said I don't think people have a hateboner for you, Tsunami even said in his post that he had a good consideration of you coming into this SPL. But if you pose youself in a specific manner, usually blaming the hax and having passive-aggressive remarks thrown around, you will reap what you sow. I'm sorry because I know you had a bad period coming into this SPL, being a reader of the depression thread, just try to be more chill and less aggressive man and I assure you people won't hate you, except the idiots (but that is a given).

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
already did some quick s/os but I had a lot of fun w the scooters and teaming w odin in particular so I wanted to take a moment to share some of the funniest moments from our chat, enjoy

52188A34-3670-47D1-83CD-CE40CD797397.jpeg
087E7C89-2E12-4E2D-8045-730255ECC8DA.jpeg
B8340591-AFFD-43BD-BEEE-04685DEEDC6E.jpeg
41E3575B-ADBD-40ED-AAE8-84F9CF14929B.jpeg
1E55F41D-99C9-4B4D-B77F-7E1A6B2C740C.jpeg
0C7E99EB-7C9A-420C-81BA-18B8FB8D1F51.jpeg
9DB154D0-A835-4A58-B2C5-B438C1B6E110.jpeg
362878B5-38F4-4E37-8558-4B50CEBCFACD.jpeg

quien es Gre=whos Gre
Jirachee tenia cancer=did Jirachee get cancer?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Buckle up, kiddos.

In theory your argument is sound but I couldn't find early instances of hax from kratosmana. Actually forcing rest on skarmo and snorlax was more like things going in your favor to begin with. Letting Zapdos die and losing the best answer to Skarmory wasn't a wise decision nevertheless.
Giving up Zapdos was a bad decision in hindsight, I thought I could get Machamp going and wouldn't need Zapper to get through Skarmory and I was wrong. I'm not perfect, nobody is, but I certainly get scrutinized more than almost anyone else.

Snorlax literally never Sleep Talking Rest and wearing Rhydon down when it had no business taking advantage of that matchup certainly influenced how I played the midgame, though. (And grats to my opponent for winning 3/3 coinflips on Curse vs EQ because if 60% Poisoned Starmie eats EQ or Lax stays in an extra turn versus Curse it's lights out.) It's not as damning as the shit I had to wade through the prior 2-3 weeks, more the point everyone is all "oh look how lucky Mr.E got and he still lost" and I'm only mentioning it as contradictory evidence. Anyone saying I was lucky is either speaking from a place of ignorance or malice. The Rhydon crit on Forretress wasn't relevant in the grand scheme, Raikou eating it was a result of a gross misplay on my opponent's part (which nobody cares about only because he still won), and my "luck" against Skarm was nullified by it immediately Sleep Talking Rest both times I otherwise would've ended up killing it.

It was a mostly clean game. I wasn't disadvantaged enough by the Rhydon thing that I'd normally complain about it if not in self-defense to people claiming I was lucky and the biggest instance of good luck was cancelled out by the other player getting similarly lucky at the same time. I lost mostly because my one major misplay (tossing Zapdos) cost me more than my opponent's one major misplay (tossing Raikou).

That being said I don't think people have a hateboner for you, Tsunami even said in his post that he had a good consideration of you coming into this SPL. But if you pose youself in a specific manner, usually blaming the hax and having passive-aggressive remarks thrown around, you will reap what you sow. I'm sorry because I know you had a bad period coming into this SPL, being a reader of the depression thread, just try to be more chill and less aggressive man and I assure you people won't hate you, except the idiots (but that is a given).
The vast majority do, Shake's a small minority of people that have any respect for me. It's always been this way and I've been chill as fuck for like the past 5+ years. My reputation is just so ingrained in the community that the greater opinion of me will never change regardless of how much I've changed, and I have certainly changed if you compare how I acted on the Scooters in SPL I versus talking to regular teammates of mine in more recent years (such as Finch, soulgazer, triangles).

It's just really cranked up to 11 the past few weeks because apparently everyone was super-offended by my questioning a rando stating that a 1-6 player was playing well... not to say you can't play well and still lose in this game but come on, nobody who watched sulcata's games can say he played well in most of them. I wasn't even trash talking him, it had nothing to do with the fact he was playing me and I was being predicted against.

And he undeniably lucked the shit out of me! My Tyranitar had Pursuit, Cloyster is dead if I don't miss the Rock Slide and it never gets to Explode on anything. If I don't miss Toxic on Exeggutor, it's never a threat because Skarm walls it until it has to Explode for chip instead of trading with my Lax. The first Toxic missing on Lax meant I couldn't stall it long enough with Blissey/Forry that I had to expose Skarm to Selfdestruct at all (which I correctly suspected he had). That's a 90% and two 85% and it still came down to a 50/50 guess as to whether or not I switch Forry into SD, nevermind my decision to stay in was influenced by the fact he crit Skarm so two Body Slams would KO and he'd avoid dying to poison because GSC mechanics. (Neither Blissey nor Forry KO Lax from 13%, sadly.) Now if sulcata wants to pop off because he won, okay whatever. Grats bro, the result is ultimately all that matters. However, I'm not really sure why the entire community has taken to giving me massive amounts of shit for the past month over assuming worse out of a literal emoji post than I meant, as if half a dozen people don't beef way worse on a weekly basis anyway.

I don't blame luck when it's not luck, it just so happens that I'm really fucking unlucky and it's very rare that the community is willing to acknowledge it because too many people around here take sick pleasure in being a complete asshole to me. WCOP last year vs BKC and Zokuru last week are like two of the rare circumstances where it's so blatantly obvious that I got screwed people actually shut their traps, and even then I had people mostly questioning a handful of my decisions rather than accepting my bad luck at face value. You might notice I didn't complain about any of my first three losses this year. I played like ass vs Anti, Floppy played very well and there was so much luck on both sides that I can hardly tell who was more disadvantaged by it (I'd say me because Lax freeze is kind of a big deal but...), and Conflict only "lucked" me in the sense he prepped something off-the-wall that happened to work. (It's still a fucking dumb Eggy set but whatever.) I also acknowledged my rare instance of good luck vs Earthworm, even though I probably didn't need it considering he had a poor matchup against my Lax set and dude literally brought Articuno.

:jynx: This emoji line exists solely to break up the massive wall of text, well-formatted or not. :jynx:

It really doesn't help the depression when the only community in which I've ever been a meaningful part of does nothing but sling toxicity at me, that's what I was getting at in my previous post. I know some people dig at me for interacting with spec chat midgame but it really doesn't distract me as it might some players, it doesn't break my focus on the battle and I know all the people giving me a hard time are just trying to get under my skin. But looking back over the days, months, years and that's the vast majority of my memories of this community, people giving me nothing but shit? It's stressful and mentally damaging.

Remember certain details of SPL VI? I "lucked" Lavos by winning a ~30/70 week 1 and the dude still holds a grudge against me to this day (or at least did up till his ban) even though I totally acknowledged the luck and didn't at all rub my victory in his face. Raish cancered and we had to trade his ass, mostly because he hated my guts even though I didn't do a damn thing to him! He complained about the team not helping him prep enough but at the same time got offended when I specifically tried to help. I was very nice to him the whole time, he just wanted nothing to do with me for some reason. Tiba crits half my team to death in SPL IV Finals, not an ounce of sympathy and multiple people who should know better acting like it didn't matter because I had no chance in the matchup all along (lol ok sure). And Tiba's one of the biggest shittalkers around, so what the fuck's up with that? People just don't fucking like me, that's what. If you want something more recent there's the whole shitshow surrounding my nonparticipation in SPL X, from getting snaked to the Cased saga to getting swerved at midseason. That doesn't happen if I'm not so universally reviled, most people at least begrudgingly acknowledge I'm not the worst player on the planet.

And most of it isn't justified -- anyone with a more substantial reason for hating my behavior of yesteryear are no longer around -- but I still have a reputation that colors how newer people interact with me. They start off on the wrong foot with me, they assume worse of me than I really am. So instead of giving me a fair shake, they have a preformed negative opinion about me and will look for any evidence to justify it because that's just how the human mind works. Then it becomes a bit of a feedback loop: people treat me like crap, naturally causing me to have a negative attitude, causing people to treat me like crap, and so on. Plus, it's easy brownie points for less notable people in the community to pile on.

Thanks for the season, Cryos. PDC and whoever the fuck Alice is on Discord are kinda jerks but the rest of y'all are cool, especially some of my only real allies in this community... I miss Synre and friends, I should've moved on from this place when they did. Anyway, nobody feels worse than me about not pulling my weight this year, I'm a competitor to the bitter end. I know I'm a better player than my record shows but ultimately that's all that matters, you don't get bonus points for playing well and still losing. And since I'm not well-versed enough on metagame specifics of other gens to be of much help otherwise, not winning my games means I'm not doing my job. Sorry, team.

Last edited:
Mr.E you certainly have left your footprint on Smogon, and your legacy will always be as one of the best GSC players to ever do it. Keep your chin held high, you cannot win them all, but I for one am proud of you.

I know from personal experience how easy it is to get down on yourself because of the Smogon culture and how hard it is to try and change people's perception. The circle jerk mentality will never change sadly. People will always judge you before they've even spoken to you.

However, you've handled your situation very well and we all know you give it your all to win your games. If this is the end for you, I'm happy to call you my friend.

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Buckle up, kiddos.

Giving up Zapdos was a bad decision in hindsight, I thought I could get Machamp going and wouldn't need Zapper to get through Skarmory and I was wrong. I'm not perfect, nobody is, but I certainly get scrutinized more than almost anyone else.

Snorlax literally never Sleep Talking Rest and wearing Rhydon down when it had no business taking advantage of that matchup certainly influenced how I played the midgame, though. (And grats to my opponent for winning 3/3 coinflips on Curse vs EQ because if 60% Poisoned Starmie eats EQ or Lax stays in an extra turn versus Curse it's lights out.) It's not as damning as the shit I had to wade through the prior 2-3 weeks, more the point everyone is all "oh look how lucky Mr.E got and he still lost" and I'm only mentioning it as contradictory evidence. Anyone saying I was lucky is either speaking from a place of ignorance or malice. The Rhydon crit on Forretress wasn't relevant in the grand scheme, Raikou eating it was a result of a gross misplay on my opponent's part (which nobody cares about only because he still won), and my "luck" against Skarm was nullified by it immediately Sleep Talking Rest both times I otherwise would've ended up killing it.

It was a mostly clean game. I wasn't disadvantaged enough by the Rhydon thing that I'd normally complain about it if not in self-defense to people claiming I was lucky and the biggest instance of good luck was cancelled out by the other player getting similarly lucky at the same time. I lost mostly because my one major misplay (tossing Zapdos) cost me more than my opponent's one major misplay (tossing Raikou).

The vast majority do, Shake's a small minority of people that have any respect for me. It's always been this way and I've been chill as fuck for like the past 5+ years. My reputation is just so ingrained in the community that the greater opinion of me will never change regardless of how much I've changed, and I have certainly changed if you compare how I acted on the Scooters in SPL I versus talking to regular teammates of mine in more recent years (such as Finch, soulgazer, triangles).

It's just really cranked up to 11 the past few weeks because apparently everyone was super-offended by my questioning a rando stating that a 1-6 player was playing well... not to say you can't play well and still lose in this game but come on, nobody who watched sulcata's games can say he played well in most of them. I wasn't even trash talking him, it had nothing to do with the fact he was playing me and I was being predicted against.

And he undeniably lucked the shit out of me! My Tyranitar had Pursuit, Cloyster is dead if I don't miss the Rock Slide and it never gets to Explode on anything. If I don't miss Toxic on Exeggutor, it's never a threat because Skarm walls it until it has to Explode for chip instead of trading with my Lax. The first Toxic missing on Lax meant I couldn't stall it long enough with Blissey/Forry that I had to expose Skarm to Selfdestruct at all (which I correctly suspected he had). That's a 90% and two 85% and it still came down to a 50/50 guess as to whether or not I switch Forry into SD, nevermind my decision to stay in was influenced by the fact he crit Skarm so two Body Slams would KO and he'd avoid dying to poison because GSC mechanics. (Neither Blissey nor Forry KO Lax from 13%, sadly.) Now if sulcata wants to pop off because he won, okay whatever. Grats bro, the result is ultimately all that matters. However, I'm not really sure why the entire community has taken to giving me massive amounts of shit for the past month over assuming worse out of a literal emoji post than I meant, as if half a dozen people don't beef way worse on a weekly basis anyway.

I don't blame luck when it's not luck, it just so happens that I'm really fucking unlucky and it's very rare that the community is willing to acknowledge it because too many people around here take sick pleasure in being a complete asshole to me. WCOP last year vs BKC and Zokuru last week are like two of the rare circumstances where it's so blatantly obvious that I got screwed people actually shut their traps, and even then I had people mostly questioning a handful of my decisions rather than accepting my bad luck at face value. You might notice I didn't complain about any of my first three losses this year. I played like ass vs Anti, Floppy played very well and there was so much luck on both sides that I can hardly tell who was more disadvantaged by it (I'd say me because Lax freeze is kind of a big deal but...), and Conflict only "lucked" me in the sense he prepped something off-the-wall that happened to work. (It's still a fucking dumb Eggy set but whatever.) I also acknowledged my rare instance of good luck vs Earthworm, even though I probably didn't need it considering he had a poor matchup against my Lax set and dude literally brought Articuno.

:jynx: This emoji line exists solely to break up the massive wall of text, well-formatted or not. :jynx:

It really doesn't help the depression when the only community in which I've ever been a meaningful part of does nothing but sling toxicity at me, that's what I was getting at in my previous post. I know some people dig at me for interacting with spec chat midgame but it really doesn't distract me as it might some players, it doesn't break my focus on the battle and I know all the people giving me a hard time are just trying to get under my skin. But looking back over the days, months, years and that's the vast majority of my memories of this community, people giving me nothing but shit? It's stressful and mentally damaging.

Remember certain details of SPL VI? I "lucked" Lavos by winning a ~30/70 week 1 and the dude still holds a grudge against me to this day (or at least did up till his ban) even though I totally acknowledged the luck and didn't at all rub my victory in his face. Raish cancered and we had to trade his ass, mostly because he hated my guts even though I didn't do a damn thing to him! He complained about the team not helping him prep enough but at the same time got offended when I specifically tried to help. I was very nice to him the whole time, he just wanted nothing to do with me for some reason. Tiba crits half my team to death in SPL IV Finals, not an ounce of sympathy and multiple people who should know better acting like it didn't matter because I had no chance in the matchup all along (lol ok sure). And Tiba's one of the biggest shittalkers around, so what the fuck's up with that? People just don't fucking like me, that's what. If you want something more recent there's the whole shitshow surrounding my nonparticipation in SPL X, from getting snaked to the Cased saga to getting swerved at midseason. That doesn't happen if I'm not so universally reviled, most people at least begrudgingly acknowledge I'm not the worst player on the planet.

And most of it isn't justified -- anyone with a more substantial reason for hating my behavior of yesteryear are no longer around -- but I still have a reputation that colors how newer people interact with me. They start off on the wrong foot with me, they assume worse of me than I really am. So instead of giving me a fair shake, they have a preformed negative opinion about me and will look for any evidence to justify it because that's just how the human mind works. Then it becomes a bit of a feedback loop: people treat me like crap, naturally causing me to have a negative attitude, causing people to treat me like crap, and so on. Plus, it's easy brownie points for less notable people in the community to pile on.

Thanks for the season, Cryos. PDC and whoever the fuck Alice is on Discord are kinda jerks but the rest of y'all are cool, especially some of my only real allies in this community... I miss Synre and friends, I should've moved on from this place when they did. Anyway, nobody feels worse than me about not pulling my weight this year, I'm a competitor to the bitter end. I know I'm a better player than my record shows but ultimately that's all that matters, you don't get bonus points for playing well and still losing. And since I'm not well-versed enough on metagame specifics of other gens to be of much help otherwise, not winning my games means I'm not doing my job. Sorry, team.
Your problem is clearly that you care too much what others think about you. You feel the need to justify yourself whenever someone says any little thing about you. You say you've been chill on here the past few years, but I bet you're the only one that actually thinks so. Stop seeing yourself as the goddamn victim in every conversation and stop getting baited by every little thing bruh. It is not worth the effort and it will lead to nothing good, I had to learn that the hard way too. In case you do all of that to 'stay in the center of attention', then I can tell you there are better ways to do so. These words actually come from someone that likes you to a decent amount, so take them serious

If I'm there already then shoutout to the Sharks for the season. I had fun and probably put in the most effort I've ever done in this SPL... bit sad it didn't work out.
Special shoutout to NJNP for the building help (mostly after midseason) and ofc to all the other people I tested with and teamed up with. See y'all next year, hopefully I'll finally make it!

Last edited:
Dear Mr. E, this is Sister Agatha from the preschool down the road. Did you have a child recently? I ask because of all the crying and whining I've heard coming from your house. The only explanation is that there is an immature person in there, and surely that wouldn't be you, a fine emotionally-stable adult! Please come by and I'll give the child a free lesson in manners! Cheers, Agatha.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
It's not about level of care paid to the dipshit squad, but poke the bear enough and it will eventually bite you. And also bleed.

Don't, though. It's mean.

hi puggy

The Dragonspiral Tyrants have been one of SPL's best franchises over the past couple of years. Hogg and reyscarface always manage to put together perennial title contenders; last year's squad was the first one in the history of SPL to not have a single below .500 player in the starting lineup. Despite their two impressive drafts in SPL IX and SPL X, however, the Tyrants had 0 hardware to show for it. In SPL IX, reyscarface perhaps overthought his tiebreak choices a bit, choosing to send out z0mOG over his team's ace player, blunder. The team fell to the Raiders in the semifinals, losing both tiebreak games; in z0m's infamous live-recording of his match with BKC, he wondered aloud whether BKC's Zygarde could be Weakness Policy...after clicking HP Ice with his Landorus-T. This was a sad end to an otherwise great season for the team. The team looked to build upon their success last year, and looked to be in cruise control for almost all of the season. They managed to amass a 6-2 lead in the finals, before their players slowly withered under the pressure, allowing the Ruiners to tie up the series at 6 games a piece. Smogon's greatest duo, 2019 lax and Lavos, would not let the Tyrants off the hook, as each of them won their games and propelled the Ruiners to a major upset over one of the best teams ever constructed. Expectations were thus naturally high going into this season, and pretty much everyone expected the Tyrants to be favorites for the trophy before the auction had even taken place. Personally, I was nearly certain that I would be enamored with the Tyrants roster; reyscarface, despite his lack of titles, is definitely one of the best SPL drafters of all time. His teams are always remarkable on-paper, and it felt inevitable that his drafting prowess would eventually be rewarded with a trophy. Would the Tyrants finally earn their much-coveted ring in SPL XI?

The Tyrants entered the auction with 3 solid retains: blunder, marcop, and Troller. blunder would be the franchise's cornerstone for yet another season, as the team gobbled up his hefty 28.5k retain fee with no hesitation. It's hard to predict how much blunder would have been in the normal auction, but the general consensus was that that retain was a sensible one. bro fist wound up being 26k in the auction, so its conceivable that the Tyrants could have saved a few thousand dollars by letting blunder go to the open market; however, it was also equally likely that both his and bro fist's prices would exceed 30k in the auction. So, all in all, this was a fine retain. The team's next retain provided them with some much-needed value. marcop was only 11.5k, which felt like a steal considering his past performances in ADV coupled with the rather dire state of the ADV playerbase. This was one of the best retains available. The team's final retain was Troller, whom they purchased for 11k. You all know that I'm not a big fan of spending too much on RBY; that being said, Troller was the consensus best RBY player going into the draft. 11k isn't too crazy of a sum to acquire the best player in a given tier, so even I was fine with this retain. The Tyrants' retain core propped them up for success heading into the draft, and raised expectations for the franchise to an even loftier state.

The team started off the auction by taking their other franchise player, CBB, for 22k. CBB was widely regarded as the best ORAS player in SPL, with the pool expected to be an absolute dumpster fire. CBB isn't really known for being a sheet warrior, but the dire state of the player pool coupled with his high skill level made this a solid selection for the price. The team then took Heist, now known as 'The Grand Babido,' for 11.5k. Unlike the Troller selection, I wasn't too enthused by this pick. I'm not a big fan of spending too much on the thinking gen; even though Heist is one of the best DPP players ever, 11.5k felt like too steep a price tag for someone with hardly any recent results. As we have seen time and time again this SPL, the crust rule should not be underestimated. Regardless, I figured rey could easily recuperate some of the potential lost value in this selection later on, so I wasn't too worried.

The team then picked up Luthier for 7k; he was coming off a solid debut tour in Snake, and was widely considered to be one of the top LCers going into the tour. This felt like a fine selection. The team then selected ima for 8.5k, who was coming off a breakout tour in Snake. I never drank the ima kool-aid, but this price wasn't too crazy, so it seemed like a decent enough selection. The Tyrants then picked up GarytheGengar for 4k, which felt very strange considering the fact that the team had already acquired Heist for DPP. Little did we know that these two, along with eden and Descending, who the team would take for 6k combined a little later on, would be the trade package for one of the best players of all time, Ojama. Ojama was purchased by the BIGs for a price far below his actual value due to his rather abrasive personality; he was naturally miffed at the prospect of having to play for the BIGs, so he essentially forced them to trade him to the Tyrants for ima, Gary, and some filler characters. This trade was probably the most lopsided exchange in the history of SPL; the Tyrants were making off with one of the best players of all time for only 18.5k in draft value.

The team selected John W next for 5.5k. He had done well in the most recent Smogon Tour, and many people were hyped about his odds to succeed on the big stage. I was a bit more dubious, but it seemed like a fine pick for the money. The Tyrants then selected Floppy for 3k to play GSC; at his peak, Floppy was only a mediocre player. Could he really put forth even a decent showing on the big stage while under the clutches of the crust rule? The likelihood of Floppy succeeding seemed abysmal; that being said, he was only 3k would be going up against a rather pitiful GSC pool, so this pick seemed defensible in a vacuum. marilli was next off the board for the team; he was only 3.5k due to a hiatus, and had performed well in Doubles in past tours, so this felt like a solid pick. The Tyrants rounded out the draft by taking ict, Nat, CTC, Christo, and starry. Nat and Christo would be starting in SS OU; there was no evidence that either of these lower tier mainers could succeed in OU, so I was a bit skeptical of their ability to notch wins on the big stage. They were both apparently tearing up the ladder, though, and considering that they were only 6k combined, both players felt like decent selections.

After the draft, the Tyrants felt like one of the strongest teams in the tour. The community would not sit idly by and let the team walk all over, though. The masses were outraged at the Ojama fiasco, and demanded his immediate tourban. One policy review thread and countless hours of Discord discussion later, and Ojama was forcibly ejected from SPL. Instead of having a legendary player on their team, the tyrants were left with ima, Gary, and two fodder slots. Despite still being one of the tournament favorites, the Ojama decision had without question significantly lowered their ceiling. Luckily for the Tyrants, though, another one of the BIG's superstars, TDK, was also distraught. The thought of playing for the BIGs sent shivers down his spine, and the team eventually agreed to ship TDK off to the Tyrants for the same package they had received in the Ojama trade. TDK was slumping mightily heading into this tour, so this move wasn't as slam-dunk of a deal as the Ojama trade. Nonetheless, it was still pretty clearly a win for the Tyrants, with TDK's teambuilding prowess expected to bolster the team's cheap SS OU core and propel them to the trophy. The team was ranked 1st overall in the official Power Rankings by a decent and first in my rankings as well; they were once again the favorites to win SPL.

Things would not start out so hot for the squad, though. Their Week 1 series against a pretty mediocre Raiders team was a challenging one that pushed the team to its limit, albeit with a fair amount of luck on the Raiders' side. The series eventually came down to Floppy of all people having to face off against Earthworm; if Floppy lost, the Tyrants would start off the season 0-1 against some pretty inferior competition. Almost no one expected anything of Floppy; the formerly mediocre player had basically been nonexistent on the big stage for years, and he was going up against Earthworm, a veteran like Floppy who, at one point, was considered to be the best player of all time. Could this journeyman crust player really bail the team out in its time of need? Well...kind of? LOL Floppy vs. Earthworm was pretty one-sided for most of it, with Earthworm firmly in control for the majority of the game. However, even legends aren't immune to the crust rule. Earthworm completely fell apart down the stretch, letting Floppy set up his CurseLax, which swept Earthworm's team and salvaged a tie for the Tyrants. Perhaps Floppy wasn't going to be the liability everyone assumed he would be.

The team smashed the Classiest 9-3 next week, with Floppy notching another win and proving that he may be viable after all. Just when it looked like the Tyrants were ready to be a juggernaut, though, things fell apart. The team was unable to best the Cryonicles, falling to 1-1-1 on the season. In addition to this, one of their SS OU players, Nat, tilted off the face of the planet after losing to Eo. Nat was always known to be a tilt-prone, and after an 0-3 start, it was rather unsurprising to see her quit so early into the season. The team was left with no choice but to turn to the basedlord himself in Week 4. However, as we know all too well, the crust rule should not be underestimated. CTC got smashed by Empo, and the Tyrants fell to to the upstart Ruiners 8-4. One of the team's star players, CBB, was also struggling mightily, amassing only one measly win in 4 weeks against a pool of players that was expected to be downright terrible. Suddenly, it seemed as if the season was in jeopardy. If the Tyrants fell to the revitalized MAGMA BIGs in Week 5, the season would almost assuredly be over.

With the season seemingly in the balance, though, the Tyrants' players showed that they had the hearts of champions, They managed to take down the BIGs 7-5. The rest of the season would prove to be absolute cakewalk for the team, as they would easily win the next 4 weeks and claim their spot in the playoffs. The players that took them there, though, were a bit...surprising. The team was being hard carried by Heist, Luthier, Floppy, and Christo. Troller and marcop were both also 6-3; however, the team's superstar Jerk players, CBB, blunder, and TDK, weren't performing too well. CBB did manage to salvage his poor record by the end of the season, ending on a hot streak that saw him go 4-0 in the finals 4 weeks of the season. Still, 5-4 is still rather poor for a 22k player. TDK was only 4-3, while blunder was somehow two games below .500 at 3-5. The playoffs are a different animal compared to the regular season. The team would almost certainly need their superstar players to perform if they wanted to win the trophy. Nevertheless, the fact that the team was able to cruise to the first seed despite their Jerk players failing them is a testament to the squad's unmatched depth. If CBB, TDK, and blunder could perform to expectations for 2 weeks, the Tyrants would almost certainly acquire those coveted red pixels by the end of the tournament.

The Tyrants squared off with the team that had conquered them in last year's finals, the Ruiners, in Round 1. This match-up looked to be relatively even on paper, so the Tyrants would almost assuredly need their 3 Jerk musketeers to propel them to the finals. The Tyrants started off the series with a bang, collecting their free donation in RBY as the Ruiners willingly sacrificed the slot by sending in an unviable player to face off against Troller. The Tyrants would not be so fortunate in the next game, though; an untimely Draco Meteor crit on John W's Celebi (yes, he used a Celebi in 2020 BW OU, but that's neither here nor there) spelled doom for the Tyrants, as Dr. Caetano leveled the series at 1 each. The team looked to one of their superstars, blunder, to help them retake the lead. However, he was unable to defeat the newly-ascended GOATDRA, who had smashed his competition up to that point en route to an 8-1 record. The team now turned to the basedlord, whose skills had clearly decayed a fair bit from his heyday, courtesy of the crust rule. CTC was in prime position to level the series at 2; just when everyone in the stadium was certain about the game's outcome however, the crust rule reared its ugly head yet again. CTC committed arguably the worst choke of his entire career, donating the game as if he was one of those Red Cross members he had laughed at many years ago. Choking one game in a tight series can spell doom even for the best teams. After qsns claimed a big lead in his game against marilli, the series looked to be over. However, the gods were not going to let the Tyrants, the pinnacle of consistency over the past few seasons, be eliminated so easily. They gave marilli not one, not two...but THREE freezes against qsns, allowing him to cruise to the victory and keep the Tyrants afloat.

This East-esque plot armor was not enough to save the franchise, however. Christo's team was ravaged by Empo's Chandelure, and it was clear that the season was slipping away from the Tyrants. Luckily, the team still had 2 of their superstar players, TDK and CBB, remaining. TDK could not get past his fellow Jerk comrade FLCL, though, as the former lower tier mainer pushed the Ruiners lead to 5-2. Things were looking more dire by the second, as every game remaining in the series was relatively close on-paper; the Tyrants had no big edges left, and were staring at a 3-game deficit. marcop was the next to the fall, as he was unable to topple Prinz's Suicune. Now facing match-point, it was only fitting that CBB, the final one of the Tyrants' three Jerk musketeers, stepped up to the plate. The victory looked to be within his grasp, as he demolished Raptor for the majority of the game. However, an untimely Thunder Punch para allowed Raptor to seize victory from the jaws of defeat with the help of his trust Manaphy, propelling the Ruiners to the finals and sending the Tyrants crashing out of the playoffs for the third season in a row.

The Tyrants were once again unable to seal the deal after an amazing regular season. The franchise seems to always fall short when the stakes are at their highest; no matter how good of a roster reyscarface is able to create, it seems as though the stars just never align for him. I honestly don't even know what to criticize the Tyrants' management for. The only draft move I disagreed with was their decision to purchase Heist for 11.5k, but he managed to blow my expectations out of the water and go 7-2. The Floppy move panned out in spectacular fashion as well. The Tyrants were clearly the best on-paper roster by the end of the regular season; they were just unable to bring home the trophy. The team's three superstar players, blunder, TDK, and CBB, all underperformed relative to expectations; none of them were able to even finish positive in this tour, and all three lost in the semifinals. I can't really blame reyscarface for drafting any of these players, especially since the Tyrants managed to acquired TDK for pennies on the dollar. The Tyrants will almost assuredly continue to be perennial contenders under reyscarface's leadership; one would think that the franchise will eventually win the trophy. The fact that these three amazing rosters were unable to amass one trophy between them is rather insane, though, at least to me. Perhaps the franchise is destined to never succeed. That being said, it would be absurd to count out such a great drafter. I believe that the Tyrants will notch their first SPL victory in the near future. However, three years of playoff heartbreak definitely makes the future a bit more murky than it should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)