Metagame SPL X NU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HANTSUKI

satan saves xmas
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RUPL Champion
Since I'm already too lazy to actually play and be on a team, I might use my vacation to write dumb stuff on the internet right, so...

TOTALLY UNBIASED POWER RANKINGS BY HANTSUKI

#1 Teddeh - Cutest user in the pool and awesome player. Love Teddeh <3 (yeah, I said unbiased rankings)

#2 Lax - despite me being disappointed on Ruiners for buying a guy who engages in triggering suicides and feels good about it, Lax is a great player. Even if I'm not there to give the fire sets, he'll be fine by himself. (snaga sucks smh he doesn't count as help dude will suggest Pinsir again wtf)

#3 Kushalos - great thing that Fooly is not playing to int his matches somehow. If he stops weebing to help Kushalos and be more talkative, they're a very strong core since Kushalos is already a good player himself and Fooly always knows how to use the broken stuff.

#4 Eternally - I would rank him lower, but his timezone is already something hard to beat. If you're playing this man, make sure to always be busy at decent times in GMT+something. Since there's no Nintendi trolling or me missing HJKs, he might win some games even if he's kinda shaky I guess. (I suggest that you try to just force a sub to play since if you're in a timezone after GMT+2, you're already wrong)

#5 Garay Oak - my boy Garay, hope you have a good SPL buddy. You're good and would rank you at #4 if not for Eternally's timezone. You have a slave on Finch to help you out. Use him as a model of what you should not do and you'll be fine. (I'm totally unbiased, not saying he's good because he was my teammate or anything)

#6 Osh - idk this guy did some work on individual tours and has my boy Pohjis to help. I think his success will depend on his buddy SANJAY being indian like his name suggests or not. If it's the latter, he's doomed and will lose unless Pohjis saves him. (but at least it's funny enough to scream SANJAY everytime we see Osh doing something since he's 100% doing a shoutout to him. Is SANJAY another shoutouts Will of Fire?)

#7 Realistic Waters - idk how this guy is doing nowadays, but he was good in the past and the next one is elodin so he has to be better than him. Also shoutouts Will of Fire.

#8 elodin - I'm actually surprised that he's not #10. Elodin fucking sucks and doesn't even have a NU builder to support him. This guy can't build even a RBY team, imagine trying to make an iteration of Slowbro Incineroar Xatu? ABR will have to save him and hope he doesn't int during the games somehow.

#9 rodriblutar/ict - I'm really curious about this one. Imagine a spooky user + someone who can't speak english. Wonder how the calls will go...their success will depend on ict's ability to (bot) counterteam his opponents and if they'll be able to communicate at all. If they make those things work, they'll win some games I guess (love rodri tho) Oh, they also need ict to not get banned till the end of the tourney.

#10 Raiders - idk who is playing for Raiders but whoever is doing it, the community is the one that will lose. We either will have to see Meeps using bad gimmicks and winning/trying to use normal teams and choking or an annoying user talking for some minutes of our lives. Better ignore their matches.

I hope this post was helpful, thank you for reading.

elodin 02/10/2018 we losing r1 its lit
elodin 04/10/2018 i choked af surf won alas i think i lose this one too
elodin 10/10/2018 yea actually i lose
elodin 11/10/2018 YEEEEEEEEEEES OML wait we lose to this
elodin 11/10/2018 WE LOSE LMAO nah we win GG
elodin 12/10/2018 . that teams gonna lose as fuck
elodin 12/10/2018 if i lose its on you fucking asshole dude
elodin 12/10/2018 preach if i lose im bad bop elodin13/10/2018 . we lose oml fire play ok we lose
elodin 14/08/2018 if i lose im quitting
elodin 18/08/2018 yo im losing af
elodin 18/08/2018 damn that killed i lose .
elodin 19/08/2018 so i slowly lose?
elodin 20/08/2018 were gonna lose to viriz as fuck wait fuck we lose to comfey dont we fcking lose
elodin 25/08/2018 ill lose
elodin 27/08/2018 hm im gonna lose as fuck today
elodin 14/09/2018 oh man that was bad we definitley losing to mag now
elodin 14/09/2018 you can actually think i'll lose to any of those players
elodin 20/09/2018 yo thats leftovers we lose
elodin 20/09/2018 dont we lose gets them up we lose we might lose to last mon vap i think we should lose
elodin 20/09/2018 OML WE LOSE
elodin 18/08/2018 yo im losing af
elodin 18/08/2018 damn that killed i lose .

i think LAX and ETERNALLY are gonna SMOKE the competition...

unless ELODIN + OBII yet again play flawlessly to win another moldy cup (if u start obii we lost tho)

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey all! To begin, I don't think I am qualified to create an accurate power rankings for the starting NU players, although PR are usually popularity or opinion based. It's clear that any of spots 2-4 are interchangeable as #1 seems pretty set in stone by the majority of teams. What I wanted to do instead was show you guys my personal power rankings leading into the draft and what I thought of each of the starting players as well as my thought processes through it all.

Disclaimer: If you don't like giant rambles, this post isn't for you. But it's still not a Finchinator post.

These rankings are my finals rankings going into the draft, for that reason their individual skill is the focus and their teammates take more of a backseat.

1. Teddeh: The consensus number 1 among most teams. He was slept on in power rankings last year despite having a very respectable record in NU over his previous SPLs. Teddeh took a hiatus last year before coming back into SPL ranked in the middle of the table and then completely crushing it with a 7-2 record. Going into the draft, we obviously expected him to be retained. With an amazing SPL IX, and then a grand slam finals appearance, it's no surprise he's the guy to beat going into this tournament.

2. Kushalos: Kush had an amazing Snake followed by a very strong showing in NUL IV which basically forced our hand into making him a must retain. In SPL, you look for people who aren't just good players at their tier, but people who are overall talented at pokemon itself, regardless of the generation. Kush can flex into so many different tiers and help in so many areas that he quickly became a priority for us to lock down.

Note: After we locked Kush down though, we definitely considered options where we could flex Kushalos to RU. At one point, we considered Pohjis very heavily and that showed in the auction when we went up to 20k on him which would have let us play the hot hand in NU/RU at the time and given us many player matchups.

3. Lax: Again, completely interchangeable with Kushalos' position. Lax wasn't in our team discussion because his retain to the Ruiners was guaranteed. We thought that the Ruiners got an incredible retain and I think Lax is primed for a very good SPL if he can continue to ride the momentum from his amazing 4-0 in Snake. But let's be real, he played me, so more like a 3-0.

4. Eternally: Windsong has a huge man crush on Eternally. Ironically, similar to what we said about Pohjis, we had talked to Eternally about playing RU or moving Kush to RU. Windsong support w/ Kush/Eternally + Eternally and Kush doing NU prep work seemed like a very strong scenario. We opted out of it because Eternally seemed more focused on playing NU, although we still had him as a backup option going into the draft. Overall, Eternally had an incredible snake and there really is no clear favorite between these top 4. It will be interesting to see if TDK/Rozes can provide the support necessary to really let Eternally continue his run that he started during snake.

5. Realistic Waters: We didn't consider RW simply for the reason that we had Kush. In the event we didn't retain Kush for whatever reason, RW was absolutely an option and our thought process was making sure he had competent help. He teamed with Teddeh in Snake and in my personal opinion, his record didn't reflect how good he actually is. Unfortunately, I could see him posting a record around .500 if he doesn't have enough help in prepping. Regardless of whether he can thrive as an independent player or not, he certainly gives his team a chance of winning every single week and that alone should give the Scooters plenty of confidence.

Note: from here on out, we had spoken to a few of the other players but not necessarily as a NU spot. These rankings were simply our thoughts of who would get drafted in order and not really a measure of skill itself. The 6th ranked NU spot in SPL IX Power Rankings went 7-2 last year. NU has one of the strongest pools in my opinion this year and anyone could really pop off. So instead of doing a specific writeup, I am ranking them in order of who was on our draft plan to who we didn't even really consider drafting and why that was the case.

6. Elodin: Extremely talented player having a pretty fantastic year in the tournament scene. Coming off a Snake victory, Elodin could be extremely motivated to keep the momentum going. Didn't have the best snake, but it didn't matter because he got a very key win in the finals. I do think that the lack of NU support could be troubling personally, but Obii working alongside Elodin has already proven once to be a successful combination. If Elodin puts a high amount of effort into this, he could do extremely well. Ironically, he was a BW option for us given we already had Kush and a big strength about Elodin is his ability to be very good at multiple tiers.

7. Osh: Learned about Osh a bit too late. There we no doubt about his talent and he's probably a popular dark horse in the NU pool to do considerably well. His support on the Tigers is underwhelming as Harris /knows/ NU but really shines in UU/RU a bit more. I think Harris's role will be more of a testbot for Osh who will be more independent in his building. Despite his skill, most of his opponents have experience on the SPL stage, so seeing how he performs under these circumstances will be something to keep an eye on. Regardless, a certain user I won't name sold me on Osh and I rate him quite highly. Was very pleased he got drafted!

8. Garay Oak: I refuse to overrate finchinators help when he was a potato in regards to BW help last year. Regardless, Garay has the opportunity to do well and he has the support to really excel. Tough competition means no give me games though and Garay is one of the biggest wild cards going into this. I did not expect him to actually get drafted for NU, there were so many other options so it's clear Zomog probably had quite a bit of thought into his pick.

9/10: Meeps and ICT: I am pretty sure I had a no touchy on ICT preventing me from even considering going for him to begin with. I think he's a good pick if rey can keep his motivation up. Meeps was a last minute sign up and there's no better team for him than team Cronin imo. Cased has also picked up NU very quickly and is solid. In SPL, being able to stay confident and come up with a game plan is something that is essential to being successful and Cased does that quite well. I think Meeps has a strong support system. Obviously, our retain + Meeps late sign up meant he wasn't in consideration.

I am considering doing something like this for RU/UU as well just to give everyone a different look at how me and Windsong approached things going into the draft. Just send me a line on discord if that's something you'd like to see! Cheers.

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Power Rankings are out!

https://www.smogon.com/articles/splx-power-rankings
  1. Teddeh
  2. Lax
  3. Kushalos
  4. Eternally
  5. Elodin
  6. Realistic Waters
  7. ict
  8. Osh
  9. SPACE FORCE meeps
  10. Garay Oak
I did the write ups for everyone but Eternally, so I wont comment on them, but I am curious to see what you guys think of this overall list and of the writeups themselves. Personally I am a huge fan of this NU Pool as we have a great list of players who have, for the most part, all played NU in team tournaments before. Looking forward to some great games, and being able to help Eternally throughout SPL n_n

Week 1 is also up!

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-premier-league-x-week-1.3645741/

Garay oak vs SPACE FORCE meeps
elodin vs Eternally
LAX vs Teddeh
ict vs Osh
Kushalos vs Realistic Waters

Some great games to kick off SPL, lots of players that were ranked near each other on the PR so these will definitely all be close games if we base it off of that. One of Lax and Teddeh starting 0-1 will be interesting, especially since both of them are coming off of great runs from the last team tour they played with NU in it (Snake and SPL). I'll drop my specific predictions in the SPL thread though, and I urge more of you to either post them here or in the SPL thread as well, as reading them is always one of the highlights of SPL.

So if nobody puts it up I will, Week 2!
LAX vs. ict
Realistic Waters vs Garay Oak
Kushalos vs Teddeh
Eternally vs SPACE FORCE meeps
Osh vs elodin

Some interesting games this week. LAX vs ict will be really interesting, both began with a win week 1. ict suprised everyone to win vs Osh, LAX won vs Teddeh who was everyones #1 in the rankings. Realistic Waters vs Garay Oak will be also really interesting. Realistic Waters won with confidence vs Kushalos what would give him a massive boost, while Garay Oak took (for people) a suprising loss vs meeps while not playing well either. It would be interesting to see how Garay would come back from that loss. Kushalos vs Teddeh is for me the match of the week, both started off with a loss what would mean one of these great NUers will go 0-2. Both would do anything to not go 0-2 so that would be alot of fun. Eternally vs SPACE FORCE meeps interesting since people thought after this week eternally would be 1-0 and meeps 0-1 while that is the different way around, same thing with Waters vs Garay Oak counts for this match. meeps able to go 2-0 to everyones suprise while eternally wants to do anything to not go 0-2. Osh vs elodin the least interesting match this week for me, NU open winner Osh has been bringing the same mons week 1 as he has been doing since he got on his winning streak. elodin won a convincing win vs eternally what would boost him for sure, I don't see Osh winning this if he keeps bringing his standard mons.

LAX vs. ict: Both off to great starts oo, i think Lax is a little more consistent but ict isn't to be messed with

Kushalos vs Teddeh: Highlight match for me, both players are great but I think if Teddeh keeps his cool, he'll nab the win in a close game but he better watch out

Eternally vs SPACE FORCE meeps: Eternally edges to the w with some balance team meme but watch out if meeps counter styles you D:

Osh vs elodin: elodin had some cool techs last game and played really well but I don't think we've seen Osh's true self so I think this game will come down to the last few turns

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Week 4:
Realistic Waters
vs Osh
rw is the cutest user on the site and will probably bring something osh didn't know was a pokemon

elodin vs SPACE FORCE meeps
all I know about either of these two is that meeps is 47 years old and doesn't remember what gen of pokemon we're currently in

Eternally vs Teddeh
I trust eternally to avenge me. this isn't really easy to call though and could go either way

LAX vs Garay oak
lax > garay oak

ict vs Kushalos
kushalos > ict

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Week 4:
Realistic Waters
vs Osh - i like osh a lot but rw is just too good
elodin vs SPACE FORCE meeps
Eternally vs Teddeh - love both so idk for real, teddeh doesn't seem to be in a good shape rn but he's still the goat
LAX vs Garay oak
ict vs Kushalos

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This thread's still dead. Let's revive it with some cool recurring sets I've noticed:
  • Scarf Togedemaru: Something something BWAHAHA THE GOOD SET, but yeah it's been very surprising how often this has been used this season. Its bulky set is pretty bleh so it's pretty cool to see people finding different ways to make use of the mon.
  • Offensive Blastoise: From Icium Z to even Specs, this hasn't been too surprising to see in hindsight. Waters already need to run tons of Speed to check Incineroar, so a lot of teams might as well go all out.
  • Accelgor: Beyond the standard Specs set, Z-Move sets have been been on a noticeable rise for a while. It also has a lot of utility moves like Encore and even Recover that have been rising along with it.
  • Absol: This has pretty much just been running its standard set, though its usage is still notable when it's been so rare beforehand. Its games have really shown off how good it is as a Pursuit trapper.
  • Bulky Incineroar: Hardly a new concept, but there's been a ton of bulky Incineroar variants have been shown off beyond the typical pivot set, ranging from Protect + Lefties to RestTalk + 2 attacks to BU + Power Trip.
  • Whimsicott techs: Been quite a lot of them used recently, from Leftovers with Knock Off to Psychium Z.
  • Sheer Force Steelix: Mainly used by Waters, his game vs Osh shows off how well Steelix can take advantage of AV Slowbro and Golbat teams.
Other stray observations:
  • Bulky offense has been by far the most common playstyle used. Most teams' defensive cores only consist of about 2-3 Pokemon, and even bulky mons tend to emphasize damage and/or momentum.
  • Pokemon with high immediate power have been in heavy favor as well as opposed to setup sweepers; things like Magmortar, Mega Glalie, Vanilluxe, etc have been the go-to wallbreakers, and even the speedy mons/cleaners (Sneasel, Sceptile, Accelgor, etc) tend to avoid setup.
  • Future Sight Slowbrothers have really been shining all season. Eternally vs Waters, elodin vs meeps, and several other games from past weeks have been an amazing display of how dangerous the move can be.
  • Pursuit's been another major disrupting tool, shown off in games like elodin vs ict and Waters vs Osh; you can also see how heavily it influences Kush's play in Kush vs Teddeh.
  • Fat balance has largely been shown to be too easily overwhelmed the few times it's been used. Stall fares somewhat better, but it's pretty evident how matchup-based it is; it's very effective when opponents don't prepare for it, but it's also incredibly easy to counterteam.
Overall though, I think the players have (mostly) been able to find their footing by now, which is good to see. Weeks ~1-2 definitely felt a bit sloppy across the board in both playing and building (and I say that as someone who's far too familiar with starting off sloppy), but it's been quite a bit better since then and with any luck we'll continue to go up. Gl to all the players!

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Edit: I’m bad and I completely forgot to add Osh, oops! I will add him in the morning, it is 12 am and I am tired lol.

Hey all, its Yoshi here! I know I haven't posted much about NU in SPL quite as much as I did in Snake (in fact I haven't posted at all lol). I am hoping from here on forth that I will be able to make more posts for match ups + some videos as well to contribute here since this thread is in need of it. Currently, it is half way through the 2019 SPL season. To commemorate that, here's my midseason power rankings, objectively based off of the players' records, with some subjective notes.

Just to preface the rankings, I am going to drop some hot knowledge real quick. This SPL has had no one who has gone defeated who has played all weeks, and the only person to go undefeated total has only played one week, being Leru. Two players have not won a single game yet, being Teddeh (0-4) and Tricking (0-1) (blobsad). I think that the fact that only one person has gone undefeated thus far is a sign that the NU playerbase is really competitive. I think by the end of this, we're going to see a lot of 5-4 and 4-5 records which is definitely a good sign, as that means there is no one or two dominant players in the pool (obviously some people will have lower records due to a lower game count). I think the pool was great from the start, so it is definitely nice to see that the players are living up to their expectations, although not in the way most spectators might expect. Also, this post will not go over Leru and Tricking as they have only played a single match, and there obviously wouldn't be a lot to talk about in that regard.

#1 - Realistic Waters
Everyone's favorite British player currently holds the (shared) number one spot in SPL thus far. With a record of 4-1, rw has exhibited high octane game play for the past five weeks. Unlike Smogon Snake Draft, where I believed that he used teams on the more standard side, which was contrary to what he had exhibited in the past, this SPL, he has been using teams that use standard Pokemon, but twist them in a way to make new and refreshing builds. Oftentimes this SPL, I have felt that some games have been a bit boring to watch due to certain team choices and structures, but with rw teams, this was almost never the case. One of the better teams I think he used this SPL was his week one match, Kushalos vs Realistic Waters. As shown here, he is using Pokemon that can be considered to be the "standard." However, he did seem to attempt to revive a lesser used Pokemon, Guzzlord, which was popular in the past. I think he did that excellently in this match, efficiently outplaying his opponent, weighing risk vs. reward correctly, and in the end he dominated his opponent. One creative set that I enjoyed seeing this match was Curse Golbat. This is a set people have talked about before, but I don't think it's ever been tried in a tournament setting like this before. It is nice to see that the pool is trying to reinvent the way we think about the NU tier, and I think that rw is a great example of a player who is doing that. I think for the rest of the season, he has a great chance of holding the number one spot, and could perhaps overtake the other number one spot holder, so long as he keeps it up with these teams and raw skill in battle.

#1 - ict
Like Realistic Waters, ict also happens to hold the number one spot. With a record of 4-1, he has also exhibited some great game play for the past five weeks. Coming fresh off of a ban, it is surprising to see that ict has done so well, even though he was regarded as one of the best NU players in the past. It just goes to show that you can't really forget how to play Pokemon, you just have to relearn the meta. Of course, ict has done a great job at relearning the meta. While week one made it seem like he would bring more standard teams to this SPL, his week two match, Lax vs ict, proved that theory wrong. While he did lose the match, it is definitely nice to see him attempting to break away from the standard mold he displayed in week one. Therefore, perhaps a better display of his creativity would be shown in his week three match, elodin vs ict. While this does slightly dial back on the creativity, considering Pokemon like Blastoise have been rising in usage this SPL, it is still an excellent display of what a refreshing team might look like. This match is also a great display of ict's skill. He essentially dominated elodin in this match, using hazards, more specifically Toxic Spikes, to his advantage. It appears that Toxic Spikes is something that ict has been enjoying to experiment with, as he has used Weezing in 3/5 of his matches thus yet. As shown in that match, as well as his week 4 match, it has been working out for him. Experimenting with other not so used Pokemon like Mismagius and Sneasel has worked out great for him as well. I think that ict being 4-1 is definitely a deserved record for him, and if he can keep up what he is doing with his teams, as well as his skill in battle, he can pertain a positive record this SPL. The only fear that I have for him is that at one point, some of his opponents may catch on to his style of building, unlike rw who keeps things a bit more fresh. While ict did use stall this past week, he has been using these bulky offense teams that can have weaknesses to be exploited if he isn't careful. Overall though, an extremely solid player, and will go positive at least this SPL.

#3 - LAX ON STAX
I think that Lax was everyone's favorite player by far going into SPL X. While he doesn't hold the number one spot (so far), he does currently hold the (shared) number two spot. Like most players this SPL, Lax has displayed excellent team building strategies, incorporating some new techniques into his building. For instance, in his week one match, Lax vs Teddeh, he used several uncommon Pokemon, Jynx, Mismagius, and Kabutops, to form a solid hyper offense team. It also shows displays of creative sets on Pokemon that are used, like this Z-Bug Buzz Accelgor, which seems to be rising in popularity this SPL. In this specific battle, it definitely caught Teddeh by surprise, so great tech there. In this match, I think he definitely weighed out risk vs reward properly, and noticed the right weaknesses in Teddeh's team right from the start. This allowed him to sack off the right Pokemon just a few turns in, which is obviously a pivotal skill to have for hyper offensive teams, which aren't exactly meta right now. As an aside, I think if more teams like this arise this year, hyper offense may definitely become the wave again. In his week two match, Lax vs ict, he displayed what I think a lot of people over look in this current meta, stall. A lot of people probably remember stall as being bad, but it is in fact the opposite. Stall has been on an uprise since people realized that you just need Xatu on every team, and you can otherwise be creative in what you use. One of the more unlikely candidates people would assume would fit on stall is actually a Pokemon that is found on most good stall teams right now, Incineroar. I think Lax's build is a great display of that Pokemon, and alongside the other five, creates an extremely solid stall team. Also, just to note, it was very entertaining watching someone 4-0 someone with stall in 58 turns. Overall, Lax has had some awesome builds this SPL. While he hasn't won every game, I haven't felt that he's ever played super bad, and that's always a good sign. You win some, you lose some, as they always say, and I think Lax displays that perfectly. I definitely think his record can improve if he polishes his playing a bit, and could even outdo the number one spots.

#3 - Kushalos
This is my personal favorite player, the chef. I predicted at the beginning that the chef would take the number one spot this SPL, but hasn't done that quite yet. I still have faith in him, so let's see what the chef has cooked up thus far. Although some of his teams have been in my opinion relatively unattractive to the eye, there are still some great looking teams he has made, and all of them are still great displays of creativity. My favorite of his bunch was the team he used in his week two match, ict vs Kushalos. Not only is his team attractive, it uses some of the Pokemon people like to overlook, such as Rhydon (surprisingly overlooked), Clawitzer, and Sneasel. Of course, the Clawitzer is his signature set (and the best Clawitzer set) KUSHAWITZER, which is essentially a Sub + Toxic variant of Clawitzer, which he used in this battle to efficiently chip down Pokemon like Slowbro. Alongside these cooler Pokemon, there are some returning standards, like Magmortar, Xatu, and Vileplume. I think this is a perfect blend of creativity and the more meta Pokemon, and it has definitely been working out for Kushalos this SPL. However, there are a few examples in this battle as to why Kushalos might not have a perfect record this year. To give one example, there is a turn where he mispredicts twice with Magmortar, which clicks Focus Blast into a Slowbro, and then a turn later Z-Focus Blast into Slowbro. I think this is just a simple human error in the risk vs. reward field in this instance, which is something that can easily be worked on. Kushalos has always shown great game play in the past, and while it hasn't always necessarily felt that way this SPL, there are still several weeks left to play this year for him to redeem himself in that regard. While he isn't number one this year just yet, I still have a lot of faith in the chef.

#3 - Osh
This is a late addition to my PR, I apologize for missing out on Osh! I thought I had included him early on, but it turns out I missed him completely. Regardless, he is here now, and is the third player this SPL X with a current 3-2 record. Originally, I admittedly had little faith in Osh due to a lack of team tour experience, and a bit of a controversial Grand Slam run. However, he definitely displayed his skill through the Smogon Championship, and while he didn't take away a ribbon, he definitely displayed some good fights. This SPL, I don't think this is any different. I've enjoyed all the teams he has brought, which I am assuming were built by SANJAY, so great choices on his part. A great example of Osh's skill and SANJAY's building power is Osh's week two match, Osh vs elodin. As shown here, the build incorporates some of the trends we've seen this SPL, including high Diancie usage, as well as a Pokemon that is considered to be on the less viable side of things (in a tournament setting), Sigilyph. He was able to win this match by figuring out his win conditions early on, and was able to execute a game plan to pressure elodin throughout the match, and was eventually able to clean with Rotom. A lot of Osh's losses have actually been fairly close matches as well. Take his week four match, Realistic Waters vs Osh for example. One of the main reasons this match went south for Osh is that Stealth Rock didn't stay up, but other than that, there was really nothing wrong with Osh's playing. Considering the match up, it would've been hard to keep hazards up versus rw's team anyway, as trying to offensively pressure the opponent with a semi stall team can prove difficult. I think that Osh is definitely one of the better players shown this SPL, and I've definitely underestimated his skill. His building partner in SANJAY has also done a great job, and while there is no way of knowing if he has built some of the teams, or perhaps none of the teams, I definitely think he has had an influence on how Osh considers what team he is going to bring, and perhaps how he thinks when he is building himself. Overall, Osh will definitely improve his record this SPL, so long as he keeps up the work.

#6 - Eternally
Here's everyone's (3rd) favorite TL Eternally! This man never ceases to amaze me in tournaments. While he never stands out has being super duper good or super duper creative, he is always there to provide entertaining matches, as reflected in his current 2-3 record. SPL X has proven no different. I think he has been a great example of displaying Pokemon that have been on the rise, like Blastoise and Sneasel. He used both those Pokemon in his week one match, elodin vs eternally. This is also an example of a match where Eternally just plays extremely solidly. While he did lose this match in the end, I didn't really feel that he played poorly during this match. Sometimes you lose due to the match up being in the opposing player's favor, or perhaps that your game plan wasn't as effective as your opponents. That happens sometimes, and I think that's fine. One thing I think Eternally could do is change up his building style a bit, just to play around with some new things. I feel as if this could be beneficial for him, and may change the future course of his adventure this SPL X. To be quite honest, there isn't much else to say about Eternally, as he is really just a solid player all around.

#6 - SPACE FORCE meeps
meeps was actually one of the players I predicted to not do so well this SPL. I only felt that way because he had been gone for a year (and also because he was supposed to play RU lol). As shown by his 2-3 record, he hasn't necessarily proven that prediction wrong, but he has still shown great skill throughout this SPL. For example, his week one match, Garay Oak vs meeps, is a great example of meeps' skill. Throughout this match, he kept up a lot of offensive pressure with Magmortar and Alolan Exeggutor. I think he was really early on able to determine that Magmortar specifically was his win condition, and you can see that with the way he played throughout the match. Some may argue that he was throwing away Magmortar too early, but really it just tore through the team right from the beginning. Playing unnecessarily safe will lead to your opponent taking advantage of you, so pressuring your opponent is usually the key to success in situations like these. I think the match is also a good example of meeps' team building, as it shows Pokemon that haven't been seen all that much this SPL like Alolan Exeggutor and Miltank, which are still very effective in this meta (free Miltank to C+). Another good example of creative building from meeps would be shown in his week 2 match, Eternally vs meeps. This shows a creative way of using Audino, which generally people would assume to be used on stall. However, meeps decided to put it on a balance-type team, which is extremely innovative. This actually worked extremely well for him in the end, because he was able to keep up some pressure with his defensive cores. However, builds more on the creative side have not always worked out for meeps, as shown by his 2-3 record. Overall, I think meeps is an extremely solid player, and I think the only reason he has a negative record right now is because the NU pool is just so solid this year. It would be extremely unsurprising if he turned his record around within the coming weeks.

#8 - elodin
Ah, it's everyone's favorite most improved user, elodin. Joining the NU council in 2018, elodin is a player I have personally looked forward to playing. Despite this, he has ended up with a 2-2 record thus far, moving to BW OU in week five, a match that has been yet to have been played at the time of writing this. Oftentimes with elodin, I notice that his issues are on the field rather than in the builder. His teams are refreshing and they are good builds, it just so happens that playing in battle doesn't always work out for him. I think a great example of this is his week two match, Osh vs elodin. As you can see, his team is actually quite a fun build, but if you'll notice, the issue is the battle itself. Osh keeps up a ton of pressure on elodin throughout this match, and that ultimately leads to his downfall. The same is true in his week three battle, elodin vs ict. However, elodin finds success when the opposite happens. If he manages to gain momentum and the ability to pressure his opponent, he is usually successful. This is shown in his week one match, elodin vs Eternally. While he does not boast the most creative of builds in this match, he clearly pressures Eternally throughout the entire match, and eventually this gets him a win. All in all, elodin is a very solid player, but can sometimes break under too much in-battle pressure. If he manages to keep himself in an advantageous position in his matches, he will almost certainly succeed.

#9 - Garay Oak
Here's another player who's issue is generally in battle rather than the builder. Garay is actually one of my more favorite builders in the NU pool this year, as he always manages to put a twist on seemingly standard builds. Using Pokemon like Alolan Exeggutor, Palossand, Medicham, Guzzlord, Sigilyph, and Miltank, he never fails to disappoint in his creativity. However, as aforementioned, he appears to fail on the field most often, having a current record of 1-4. It seems that most of his faults just come down to matchup losses and things like that, but sometimes he also shares the problem that elodin has, which is failing under pressure imposed by the opponent. An example of this can be found in his week two match, Realistic Waters vs Garay Oak. rw manages to keep up a load of pressure with his Magmortar in this match, and while this is an example of a disadvantageous match up for Garay, I think the way that rw played with his Magmortar definitely affected the outcome of this match in a major way. Overall, Garay has the same issue as elodin. He boasts great builds, but can sometimes fail to perform well if their opponent keeps up the pressure. If he can keep himself out of playing in the back, he will definitely succeed in the coming weeks.

#10 - Teddeh
Ah, poor, poor Teddeh. While he did hold the #1 seed at the beginning of the season, he has somehow ended up with the worst record thus far, not winning a single match. He was subbed out for Tricking week five, who ended up losing anyway, leaving the Sharks 0-5 in NU. Does this mean Teddeh is a bad player? Not at all. I think that his record is just another display of the NU pool being really good this year. Sometimes he just simply loses due to not keeping up enough pressure, or it is a match up thing. However, there are some questionable things I have seen from Teddeh thus far. For example, let's look at his week two match, Kushalos vs Teddeh. In this match, he does display a bit of an ugly team, but that is irrelevant nonetheless. The thing I want to point out specifically is the questionable Poison Fang Golbat. I don't really see the benefit in that tech personally (but perhaps there is some use that just didn't work out in this match up). The reason I point this out is because it is little things like this that has been shown throughout this SPL by Teddeh. While he is known for his cool techs, it just hasn't seem to work out for him this SPL. I think his record can definitely improve, but perhaps this can be possible through taking a different avenue in building.

Last edited:

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Week 6 is up! These matchups are probably the best of the tournaments so far, looking forward to some great games this week, good luck everyone

SM NU: Garay oak vs elodin
SM NU: lax vs Eternally
SM NU: Teddeh vs Realistic Waters
SM NU: SPACE FORCE meeps vs ict
SM NU: Kushalos vs Osh

SM NU: Garay oak vs elodin - i think gary is better than his record thus far would indicate, this just hasnt been his tournament, elodin makes a much more consistent impression to me
SM NU: lax vs Eternally - lax finds a way to exploit anyones playstyle, his diversity in terms is i would say unrivaled in this nu pool and i believe that his ceiling is higher than eternallys
SM NU: Teddeh vs Realistic Waters - Teddeh being without a win by week 7 would be the weirdest thing ever I think. While I hate predicting against rw I don't think Ted is letting this happen though I think waters style of teams generally has a advantagous mu vs teddeh type stuff
SM NU: SPACE FORCE meeps vs ict - fireman vs fireman, I don't think anybody can predict the outcome of this. I expect some unset madness
SM NU: Kushalos vs Osh - I think its clear by now osh is no pushover, he seems to have gotten used to the spl setting quite well. I also believe kushalos is relatively easy to takr advantage of in the teambuilder and osh sanjay and pohjis should be able to make work of that

SM NU: Garay oak vs elodin - elodin's been consistent thus far and Garay's playstyle is pretty passive, elodin will abuse of this and Garay's lack of experience to get a solid win.
SM NU: lax vs Eternally - Despite last week, lax' been on fire and dominated the mayority of the pool, but I just don't see Eternally ending with a negative record. I'm gonna give lax a small edge but this could go either way.
SM NU: Teddeh vs Realistic Waters - I really enjoy watching both players and I especially like rw's creativity, but I just don't see Teddeh going 0-5 so I expect him to come back to his game after last week's break.
SM NU: SPACE FORCE meeps vs ict - Leon came back stronger than ever and he's proven himself to be a top tier player, I'm glad for him. Hard to predict against him though I wouldn't sleep on meeps.
SM NU: Kushalos vs Osh - Kushalos is another really solid player that can definitely be considered to be in between the top 3 and I honestly expected to have a better record at this point. Osh' gonna have a tough time against him and he has to play perfectly to succeed, though I believe in my friend.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Since no one has posted this week yet (or week 7 for that matter) here is week 8!

SM NU: Kushalos vs The Hallows
SM NU: Osh vs lax
SM NU: ict vs Realistic Waters
SM NU: elodin vs Teddeh
SM NU: Eternally vs Garay oak

Lots of great matches this week (although there is one questionable one), ict vs Realistic Waters is definitely the highlight match up. I might post some predictions on these later on this week, although I am unsure.

Where are the replays at? I can’t be the only one who wants to watch some high quality gameplay. SPL replays are a great resource to the community.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Alright everyone, with week 8 out, here is the final week of the main season, week 9!

SM NU: Osh vs Eternally
SM NU: Garay oak vs Christo
SM NU: Hipmonlee vs EviGaro
SM NU: Realistic Waters vs lax
SM NU: Kushalos vs elodin

This week is interesting to say the least, as we have some extremely nontraditional NU players, namely Hipmonlee, EviGaro, and Christo. However, we have a great match up this week as well in Osh vs Eternally, which I am personally very excited to watch. Realistic Waters vs lax is also a great match up (to be fair, any match up with RW is going to be a great game regardless). Drop your thoughts and predictions here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)