Project Spill the Sinistea - chlo edition!

ishtar

your affection
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
Approved by Specs.
Inspired partially by the previous iteration of Player of the Week as well as
Player Interview.
Art by the awesome Citadark Isle and myself.

chlo
Favorite Pokemon: :vileplume:
Most used Pokemon in SS PU: :togedemaru:

Most known for: Newest PU tier leader
Hi chlo! Gm and welcome to the first iteration of "Spill the sinistea"! How are you doing today?

i'm doing well keppy hbu :3

Glad to hear!!! I am doing just fine :3 Can you tell us a bit bout yourself outside of Smogon?

oki, i am chloe, im 23 and i've lived in australia most of my life! i've studied a few things at uni mainly alternating between computer science and linguistics, still yet to know what i really wanna do with my life but i'll figure it out! i work as a receptionist part time as well while this is going on and yea!

Omg yass a fellow linguist, thats awesome!! Moving onto Smogon related stuff, I wanna congratulate you (once again) on becoming the newest PUTL! Your enthusiasm for the tier always shows whenever I hear you talk about it. I am curious though, how is it that you got started in PU? What attracted you towards it?

thank you very much, i appreciate that!!! i got started in pu because i got bored of oms and wanted to play something else, and my friend yogi begged and PLEADED for me to try pu and even offered to tutor me as an incentive. the next day he quit the site, so i had to teach myself and the rest is history :>

LOL, that story does not surprise me at all. Glad you stuck around tho! This totally correlates with my next question as well! Many people will know that you used to be an OM and AG leader in the past. In your opinion, what are some of the qualities in leadership that could translate from staffing communities like that to PU?

hmm. i'd like to think i was good at listening to the community and making decisions in their best interests, which is hopefully a trait i can transfer to here so i can do the same here! leading oms and pu shouldn't be too different solely in terms of community engagement and that is what i'd mainly believe to be the main carry-over there!

That's a great answer! I'm a firm believer in communication as one of the main traits needed in a position like this. Knowing this what would you say are your main ambitions and plans as a TL?

my main ambitions here would be to grow the playerbase and continue to make pu a fun and active tier! i love our community, and it's no secret that some sections of the playerbase have seemed a little bit disinterested in the current meta recently, but hopefully with upcoming tier changes we can further stabilise the meta and make the remainder of ss an enjoyable time for everyone.

Yassss this tier has a lot of potential. On the topic of changes, we get tier shifts really soon! What are some of your concerns and what are you particularly excited about?

as with every shift i'm scared we're going to lose yet another crucial pokemon, but thankfully this shift doesn't look like we'll lose much if anything at all. i'm looking forward to seeing comfey, which looks like it's dropping! garbodor looks likely too which kind of has me a little scared with how little removal we currently have but it should hopefully be okay. i'm hoping we get a fair few more toys to play with but i'm keeping my hopes low because nu keeps finding ways to disappoint me :(

Yeah, feels like we're still adapting to this meta post Espeon so adding garb do that equation sounds dangerous. You voted BAN for espeon. How do you think the meta has developed since then and how happy are you with it right now? Goodbye bignus!

i'm definitely grateful that espeon is gone as the tier seems a lot more manageable and familiar right now, i do think hazards, and especially spike setters are annoyingly a lot better now without such a potent bouncer and our metagames lack of solid removal but most other changes have been overwhelmingly positive in my eyes. espeon was incredibly annoying to deal with, especially considering its set versatility, and now matches less likely come down to whoever loses their steel type last. the metagame just generally seems a lot healthier now.

There's so much to play with right now and am glad that despite the close vote things turned out alright! With that being said, theres been no PU tournaments recently so some people might not be aware of some recent developments. Can you name 3 of your favorite sets/mons in PU right now that people might not be aware of?

some of my favourite sets right now are choice band poliwrath, which abuses jellicent's inability to reliably check it by bopping it with toxic or lariat on the switchin and alternatively just starts breaking through most teams. lurantis, which is our closest replacement to tsareena (not garbage eldegoss), has an actual offensive presence for grass-type removal and forces out most mons / knocks zard switchins. obviously not a 1 to 1 comparison, tsareena was amazing, but it's definitely still a nice mon that more people need to try. for a third mon, i'd say something that's not really a new set by any means but one i think has risen substantially in effectiveness lately, sub sd perrserker is just rly rly nice. other than zard there are pretty much no switchins, while it abuses the prevalence of pokemon like weezing and toge and sets up on them and that's really nice i think.

Yasssss I am so glad to hear u mention how bad elde is, lurantis slays a lot more. And with that bit of knowledge out of the way, it is time for art media question of the day! Have u been into any fun media/art/games lately? (Books, shows, music, movies, podcast, vids, w/e)

i play upwards of three hours of geoguessr every day! i played a lot of legends arceus when that came out and that was a really fun time. lately i've been just spamming random puzzle games, stuff like baba is you, golf peaks, LYNE which have all been fun. i've been watching the mentalist lately which is a really fun show but i suck at binging stuff sob. otherwise the only other thing i really watch is hockey which i enjoy a lot.

Omg im glad ur back into geoguessr, so fun!
It is time to "Spill the sinistea" with Chloe! This is the segment where we ask the interviewee what people REALLY wanna know. Now tell me, if you were a PU or lower pokemon in the pocket monsters universe, who would you wanna be?
Which Pokemon do you think your fellow TL specs would be? Would your species be friends with his or would you be mortal enemies?

i think i'd wanna be a phanpy bc it's just a cute little elephant that could do no wrong :3 specs would probably a togepi bc hes rly nice and couldn't hurt a fly. i'd like to think we'd get on well!!!

That is a very wholesome answer, thank you. We are almost out of time on set but I got a last couple questions to ask you. What's the dumbest PU set you've come up with that you initially thought was the most genius thing ever?

Raichu @ Magnet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Magnet Rise
this isn't THAT dumb but i was convinced this would be BROKEN as hell. because its a fast strong electric type that sets up on and beats sandaconda. but then i realised i couldn't hit grass and dragon types 2 games in and it all fell apart :((((

Noooooo, is okay, I'm sure raichu would try their best to win for u anyways. Finally, what's been your most embarrassing failed geoguessr guess and your proudest "nailed it" moment?

on a 103 streak i saw dutch license plates and language on the cars and went straight for the netherlands. as it turns out, cars can in fact move, and they were only from the netherlands on vacation sob if i had turned around i would have recognised it as czech straight away.
can't really think of a specific nailed it moment but i am very proud of how far i've come in it as i'm currently top 500 in the world in competitive

Omg epic, gz! And with that we should be done! You care to do some shootouts bout some of ur favorite people on here?

i know so many cool people on here so i unfortunately can't shoutout everyone but thank you to my closest friends Z Strats Lily Kate Lumari for being amazing, and everyone i talk to on here, especially everyone in the PU community for making being involved here so enjoyable, i appreciate you all <3 also thank you very much for interviewing me keppy, you're great :>

You're awesome too and thank you for showing up! Ik I speak for many when I say that we are very excited for the future of PU with you here. Have a great night!

Chloe sent a team that YOU, reader, are invited to try out:
:perrserker: :lanturn: :leafeon: :magmortar: :aggron: :ribombee:

this is kind of just an unconventional team built around sub sd perrserker. it isn't perfect by any means but is a whole lot of fun to use. started off by pairing it with lanturn which walls zard switchins and leafeon which checks ground types like conda very well, both being arguably perrserker's biggest threats. leafeon is in general a criminally underrated mon too and is super fun to use so glad to give it a little bit of a spotlight. fits here well bc the perrserker abuses most weezing so well which is leafeon's main check. defensive magmortar is fun to use, not an amazing set but helps with random physical attackers, weezing, togedemaru and catches a lot of people off guard. the rest is pretty basic, aggron is the steel type and sets rocks. ribombee is the scrafty answer and limited speed control. that's pretty much it.

Ask chlo some epic questions about things you care about like how she's able to find X country in the map!

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
what are some of the dumbest sets you saw on the ladder?

how would you rank these pu gens from favorite to least favorite?:
RBY GSC ADV DPP BW ORAS SM SS
dumbest set i saw on ladder was confusion galarian articuno, fitting move given my reaction when i saw it :worrywhirl:

hmmm that's a good question. i think sm > oras > ss > adv > dpp > gsc > bw post simi ban. i haven't played rby pu but it'd be cool to sometime

What's your favorite Swedish word
skogstokig

1. any mon u think could get suspected? (can b a banned one yass)
2. is there any nu mon that wasnt pu at some point this gen u think could b a nice addition to the tier?
3. favourite oldgen?
1. nothing rly seems pressing at all, i feel like garb dropping is going to make me wish we could resuspect espeon straight away but alas.
2. doublade! i'll take any new steels and idt this would be remotely broken
3. sm i think but i've been enjoying oras a lot lately too so it's between those.

do you think the usage stats cutoff for ss tiers should be higher/lower/same?

what player have u lost the most times against?

what is ur best quality in being a tier leader?

fave mainline pokemon game?

whats ur most used toge set?

whats ur most sketchy toge set?

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
1. do you think the usage stats cutoff for ss tiers should be higher/lower/same?
2. what player have u lost the most times against?
3. what is ur best quality in being a tier leader?
4. fave mainline pokemon game?
5. whats ur most used toge set?
6. whats ur most sketchy toge set?
1. i don't really know. it did feel better last gen when we had much lower cutoffs, but yea don't really know!
2. in pu specifically i think it's probably been punny who knocked me out of open and was my only loss in the last ltpl.
3. i kinda sorta answered something similar in the keppy questions but i like to think i'm good at listening to the community's views and taking them into account.
4. diamond! platinum is better pretty much but diamond will always have a special place in my heart.
5. probably just standard iron head tox wish tect!
6. :ss/togedemaru:
Togedemaru @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Work Up
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- Magnet Rise

fun little set :3 not very good obv unless ur facing a slow team with a conda on it but its sketchy which is what you asked!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)