Speed Support (Sand)

Despite what the title says, this team does not actually rely on sand. It's probably more of a sandstorm counter.
Honestly, I have very little experience playing competitively. After a few weeks of skimming around tiers, I decided on VGC. I'm completely open to criticism, so please write anything you think should be changed. I also need some help with my EV spreads. So far I've gone with the basic 252/252/4, but I don't think it works all that well for some mons. Especially Scizor and Togekiss.
So, here it is:

Garchomp.gif
Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Garchomp is usually my main sweeper. Once it gets a swords dance, it does massive amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and it can easily sweep teams with it's primary STAB earthquake. Dragon Claw works as it's secondary STAB, and covers pokemon with levitate, and flying types. It also works well against other dragon sweepers. I need help with it's item. Usually, Yache berry is just enough to survive HP ice from most mons. Swords Dance works perfectly along with Follow Me support. It can easily shrug off an Intimidate, and still have really high Att. If I boost an extra turn, then +3/+4 Att with Helping Hand OHKO's pretty much everything.

togekiss.gif
Togekiss @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SDef / 128 HP / 128 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Tailwind

Togekiss is almost always my suicide lead. I can't possibly emphasize just how important it is to my team. It's incredibly bulky, AND has follow me support, which lets other mons get a boost. Helping hand works really well alongside Garchomp's Earthquake, and tailwind is perfect for covering faster mons. Tailwind is especially useful to counter latios and latias, and give Garchomp it's much needed edge. Lum berry is usually used for follow me support, to give the other mon an extra turn for boosting/attacking. Air slash is used when it's taunted, and it's just barely strong enough to take care of Conkeldurr or hitmontop.

(Side Note: Unrelated, but what should I do in Gen 6? Same moveset, or replace Air slash with Dazzling Gleam? Serene Grace won't really make any difference, then. Togekiss usually doesn't have high enough speed to get flinch anyway. Also, Dazzling Gleam is a spread move, affecting both opponents.)

Scizor.gif
Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Scizor is a bit of an oddball. Most of the time, I don't really use it. If it has proper support (tailwind or trick room) and gets a swords dance, it can destroy teams just as easily as Garchomp. Even then, it relies heavily on speed control in either tailwind, or cress's trick room. I use the standard Scizor set. Insanely powerful Bullet Punch, and Bug Bite for Cresselia, etc.

Cresselia.gif
Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 SDef / 144 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Helping Hand
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Trick Room

Cresselia is also usually an integral part of my team. Like togekiss, it gives bulky helping hand support, and it can also set up trick room for scizor, or negate the opponent's trick room. Psychic is basically to stop it from getting completely blocked by taunt. I thought that psychic > Icy wind, as I sometimes used trick room for my own team.

Mamoswine.gif
Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Icicle Spear
- Stone Edge

Now, Mamoswine is one pokemon that doesn't really fit into my team much. It's ability as an anti-metagame mon is amazing, but it dies far too quickly, and too often. It's also frustrating to get locked into any of it's moves. I'm thinking of removing the scarf, and replacing one of the ice moves for protect. That way, it'll rely on cresselia/togekiss like the rest of my team.

Volcarona.gif
Volcarona @ Fire Gem
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Volcarona is too amazing to be put in words. I use the standard 'Quiver Before Me'. Once it gets 2 Quiver dance boosts, it OHKO's almost everything that doesn't resist it with Heat Wave/Bug Buzz.
It's only shortcoming is it's 4X rock weakness. Should I replace Fire Gem with Charti Berry?
+2 Fire Gem + Helping Hand - Heat Wave can OHKO everything that doesn't resist it, and sometimes even OHKO those that DO resist it.

The only major threats I can think of are rain teams.
So, here it is. I'm sure it's got lots of holes, and please write everything you think should be changed.

[Edit: Togekiss has sunny day in it's movepool. It might work well to counter Rain teams, and it'll give Volcarona an insanely powerful Heat Wave. Even so, is it worth getting rid of any of it's other moves for Sunny Day?]

[Edit 2: Even Aura Sphere might work well in Togekiss's moveset. Now, I'll actually have something against Heatran with Skillswapped Levitate from Cresselia.

Last edited:
Hmm... Interesting team you got there. Lets start with Garchomp, shall we?

Garchomp's set looks OK. I myself use a similar set. Instead of protect, you might want to get stone edge for coverage against ice types. Also, you might want to replace the berry for Life Orb for more power.

The EV's for Togekiss looks good. Instead of follow me, though, replace it with aura sphere to cover ice and rock types.

Scizor's EV's are meh. You should switch the speed and health EV's.

For Cresselia, replace trick room with energy ball. This could help fend off the threat of rain teams.

Volcarona's set is pretty boss, no change needed there.

Rain Dance teams, like you said before, are a big threat to your team. The biggest threat I can see is swift swim Kingdra. With the boosted speed, Kingdra can sweep your team. Hydro Pump allows it to rip Volcarona and Mamoswine apart. It usually has ice beam so it can take down Garchomp in one hit (without the berry) and take down Togekiss in a couple of turns. It also has access to yawn to cripple your team. Instead of Mamoswine, Ferrothorn should be good. Here is the set you could use:
Ferrothorn@Leftovers
252 Attack, 252 Special Defense, 4 HP
Careful
Power Whip
Explosion
Thunder Wave
Payback
This set could be useful. First of all, it covers your threat. It resists both water and electric types, two types that are common on a rain dance team. It is also a good support pokemon with thunder wave.

Hope I helped!

Hmm.
I'll try your changes, but I have a few objections.
The only reason I kept Togekiss was for it's bulky follow me support, that lets other pokemon like Garchomp, Scizor, and Volcarona set up and sweep. Sure, 60% flinch chance is amazing, but it's usually too slow to outspeed them anyway.
Also, are you sure Explosion is a good idea? It's mainly supposed to be a singles move, and it hurts all pokemon on the field (including team members).

Last edited:
Considering that half of your pokemon have protect, explosion should work fine. Just protect when Ferrothorn is about to go BOOM. This is also a good way to take down 2 at the price of 1.
Keep follow me on Togekiss then if you want to keep your sweepers alive longer. Aura Sphere is also a choice if you want to fend off super effective types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)