ORAS NU Space Bound [NU] RMT

DEG

the night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Introduction so you don't get bored: In Space no one can hear you scream, yet you decide going on the top of Mega Steelix to space to solve the Mystery of Pokemon. You get on Planet NU and what you see is amazing, thousand of rotom flying around you. You continue your road on the planet between these Rotom and see a house made of Sand. You enter and see a Rhydon holding a letter between it's teeth saying: ''Welcome dear traveler, you're here to solve the mystery of Pokemon and your first task is to fix this team, when you're done you will receive the first Key that will grant you access to a hidden chamber where you will find another letter that will help you in your mission.

Team at glance:

The Team:

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Rock Blast

First I started with Rhydon, I wanted a Bulky Pokemon and a Stealth Rock setter plus Rhydon happens to be one of my favorite pokemon. His Bulk let him Survive an attack, Set Up Stealth Rock. It has Rock Blast to break subs and damage pokemon that are weak to rock since it has some nice Attack stats. D-tail is for phasing and is useful when you predict a switch , SR+D-tail cause some serious damage to your Opponent Team. EQ is for steel pokemon. Adamant is to make Rhydon hit hard while having bulk.

Lilligant (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Petal Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lilligant is a special hard hitter, it is the answer for annoying water pokemon and setup sweepers when hazards aren’t up on my side yet. With sash and Sleep MissPowder Lilligant can set up a Quiver Dance, or put to sleep foes that threatens the team. Petal Dance has great power and is enough to Lilligant, still debating about the Hidden Power, HP Ice is for flying pokemon.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

I needed a Pivot and some immunity to ground and there it is Rotom, holding a scarf and having Volt Switch which is good to shift between team mates, Trick stops Ferroseed, Miltank… Shadow Ball is for coverage and WoW is present to cripple physical attackers.

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

Feraligatr is the team’s star and physical sweeper, Lum berry makes him escape burns that threatens feraligtr. This pokemon creates an offensive pressure against the opponent’s team with Waterfall/Aqua Jet STAB and Sword Dance. Ice punch is for Grass Types.

Miltank (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Milk Drink
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Toxic

Miltank is all about tank, curse and bodyslam are presents to cripple the opponent’s team with Para, and toxic is for ghost types. Actually it’s my only answer to Serperior if most of my teams member are down and one of my answers to ferroseed which is quiet annoying to the team

Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 164 HP / 92 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Great mega in NU, Steelix proved to be threatening when it’s checks are down, I’m actually using the curse talk set which, when used correctly can deal great damage to the opponent. This Pokemon owns great bulk which makes this set great when used with Rest that lets our friend to slack off the damage done to him while Sleep Talk makes him able to setup or attack while sleeping (Or nothing, ihu sleep talk)

THREAT LIST

Quiet annoying pokemon to the team, all i can do is trick it with Rotom or suicide kill it with Feraligatr, Miltank walls it but can't kill it making this a PP stall.

This thing is a monster with Contrary Leaf storm granting it a nast plot boost with damage it can destroy my team if Miltank is dead.

Will add more when I discover.

REPLAYS

Importable

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Lilligant (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Petal Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Miltank (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Milk Drink
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Toxic

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Steelix @ Steelixite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 164 HP / 92 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Hey this seems like an alright team, although many of the sets are somewhat subpar and there is a glaring weakness to fighting types. As long as Rotom goes down early, pokemon like Sawk and Gurdurr are capable of straight 5-0ing you without any problems, bar maybe Mega-Steelix living a hit at full health. Furthermore, your team seems incredibly reliant on Gatr's Aqua Jet / Rotom to revenge kill, both of which are weak at best, especially given the easy nature at which opponents can set up on passive pokemon such as Miltank or a sleeping MegaLix, a major issue. This passive nature specifially makes this bulky offense team not quite click, as it deteriorates the ability for Lilli / Gatr / Rotom to succeed to their fullest. I also found your team was worn down very easily across matches, especially with a lack of hazard control.

To start off with, I suggest getting rid of your Fighting type weakness and making your team much harder to wear down by utilizing Stealth Rock Mesprit / Healing Wish over Rhydon. You don't lose much utility in the sense that Steelix and the rest of your team carry similar bulk and resistances, but what Mesprit offers is a glue that can consistently pivot in and check fighting types but more importantly a fast Healing Wish, super important to easy to wear down teams like yours, as it gives stuff like Pivot Rotom, MegaLix, Gatr, etc. a 2nd life to use, potentially creating more opportunities to sweep.

Mesprit @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Dazzling Gleam / Signal Beam

The next thing that I would suggest is using All-Out Attacker Kangaskhan over Miltank. Your team wasn't very weak to Serperior to start with, and Kangaskhan doesn't make you any moreso since it easily revenges Serperior anyways. However, what kangaskhan does offer you is a legitimate revenge killer and patches up your issues with the passiveness of Steelix and Miltank, as even if they allow the opponent to set up, Kangaskhan's dual priority will consistently remove the threat. At the same time, it packs a lot more of a punch, and synergizes a lot better on bulky offensive teams than a momentum losing Miltank does.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Drain Punch / Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Minor Changes:
Lilligant: Life Orb > Focus Sash, Giga Drain + Hidden Power [Fire or Rock] > Petal Dance + Hidden Power [Ice]. Giga Drain is absolutely better than Petal Dance, as locking yourself into a grass move when Sap Sipper and Grass Resists to beat serp are rampant is never a good idea, and with the backing of Life Orb it gets pretty similar damage output. Focus Sash is nearly never useful, as lilligant has decent bulk, and furthermore a sleep powder to ensure setup. HP Fire hits Steel and Grass types [Also baits in and KOs Ferroseed, which you cited to be a threat], while HP Rock nabs both Flying and Bug Types, both of which get more utility than HP Ice.
Steelix: Honestly the attack EVs don't help you, and you would rather just increase your SDef to better chances of setup, so 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef is the way to go. I would suggest EQ, but Curse seems ok so whatever.

Reactions: DEG

DEG

the night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Implemented the changes, thanks for the help also, I'm gonna put EQ on Mega Steelix over Sleep talk to see how will it work. Thanks for the help :]

Will update the changes on the thread later

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Dream Eater Gengar nice looking team you got there.

To start off looking at your team the Fighting-type weakness is the main thing that stands out to me. With no resist and only one immunity, all it takes is one prediction of you switching in Rotom in on a Knock Off and then they will be free to spam Close Combat. I do not agree with switching out Rhydon to solve this weakness, as you are then lacking a Fire-spam switch in and Typhlosion can come in on half of your team and pretty much 2HKO your entire team at that point. To start off I'm going to suggest changing your Rhydon spread to a Specially Defensive Tank spread of 252 HP / 16 Atk+ / 240 SpD which will allow you to have an easier time checking things such as Typhlosion, which from watching your replay I saw that Eruption did over half to your current spread. I'm also going to suggest running Roar > Dragon Tail as it is a much more reliable way of phasing and Xatu will be afraid of your Rock Blast to risk switching in on the Roar. If you find yourself struggling with Malamar, you can run Megahorn > Roar, as I can see Malamar being a problem for this team if its brought in at the right time and Feraligatr is weakened. So on this next switch I debated a while on what to suggest as I was looking for a Fighitng-type resist that could consistently switch in to absorb Close Combats or Knock Offs and couldn't seem to find a Pokemon that fit the bill. I ended up deciding on Gurdurr > Miltank as you can easily check all relevant Fighting-types in the tier and recover off damage with Drain Punch while giving you a much better "Curse" mon with Bulk Up. Something to be aware of is that this doesn't give you a resist or anything to really deter the opponent from spamming Close Combat, you will have to play a bit more carefully around Fighting-types but they can't really come in on anything on your team for free; so they will either take massive damage coming in on the switch or have to sac something to come in, this also gives you another priority user. Some minor spread changes and move changes; switching Feraligatr's spread to 184 HP / 252 Atk+ / 72 Spe will let it outrun max speed Adamant Cacturne and other max speed base 55s while still maintaining good bulk. I agree with the suggested changes to Lilligant by Brawlfest. On Steelix running Heavy Slam > Gyro Ball is much better as you pretty much have max power (base 120) with Heavy Slam against all the same targets as Gyro Ball while having more PP. I've also found that Curse Steelix is a little bit underwhelming, so I'm going to suggest running Earthquake > Curse you can use the spread you currently have because without Curse you wont be doing as much damage.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up

Hope this helped ^.^

Hi! Apart from just conplain about small niggly things like EV spreads like Montsegur has done, I'll just propose some more fundamental and structural changes to your squad in an attempt to make it more reliable as a team.

1st suggested change= Physically Defensive Garbodor over Rhydon.
I can see this team being extremely effective at being a balanced squad and since most of rhydons checks overlap with mega steelix I figured I would suggest adding a spiker to also add an area of great physical defensive, but spikes support which can be used to aid your main sweepers in Gatr and Lilli. Also, Garbodor has the rocky helmet + aftermath combo for whatever you want to kill but steelix can't handle.
Its probably one of better spikers in the tier right now.

2nd change= Physically Defensive Xatu for Miltank

This change is a bit more personal preference. I choose Xatu because a balance team needs a way of controlling hazards, and xatu I find is one of the most effective mons in the meta at doing this right now. It can also double as a win-condition like your Miltank originally. It must be warned however, if you do this change mega steelix should revert to a stealth rock/eq/slam/filler set rather than cursetalk as rocks is neccesary on every team, especially balanced ones.

But hey, that's just my take on it

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

DEG

the night belongs to you
Alright, so i'm trying what you guys are telling me and made different teams following the changes said, already implemented brawlfest's change and I felt that my team was weak to typhlosion, now I'll add some changes that Montsegur and HJAD mentioned and i'll post replays here, then when I'm done I'll fusion all the changes and fix the main team. Thanks for the help!

Edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-203927330 WIN
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-203930913 LOSS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-203933691 LOSS

Which would be better Dragon Dance or Sword Dance Fera for the team?

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Which would be better Dragon Dance or Sword Dance Fera for the team?
I've always found Dragon Dance a bit underwhelming, I recommend using Swords Dance 99% of the time.

Also Ryhdon is the one thing on your team that can switch into fire types, if you're going to replace it with Mesprit you will need something else to check Fire-spam. I recommend keeping Rhydon, or if you use changes from two different rates trying out Mesprit > Rhydon and Hariyama > Gurdurr / Miltank.

On my phone so I'll just give you the spread and its with Assault Vest, if you need the moveset I can reply back later. 252 Atk+ / 252 SpD / 4 Def

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Of all the rates so far, I'd probably say Montsegur's fixes the most issues, but one big problem most didn't mention is that your team is really slow. Even among your offensive mons, the only one that's particularly fast is Rotom, which leaves you pretty open to fast stuff with good coverage (even moreso the Pokemon that don't really mind Rotom). I'm going to agree that having two bulky Ground-types is rather redundant even with the two providing certain resistances the other can't, so I would look into replacing at least one of them with some sort of fast offensive Pokemon like Sneasel or Archeops. The former has Ice Shard and provides certain useful resistances to Ice and Psychic while the latter less exacerbates your weakness to Fighting-types.

Sneasel @ Life Orb | Inner Focus
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD | Jolly
Knock Off | Icicle Crash | Ice Shard | Pursuit or Low Kick

Archeops | Defeatist
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD | Jolly
Acrobatics | Earthquake | Roost | Taunt

To address your Fighting weakness, it's a bit tricky to cover that without just leaving you open to other threats, but I agree that Miltank is probably the most expendable Pokemon currently. Again, a bit barebones on what exactly to replace it with, but Montsegur's suggestion of Gurdurr is probably worth testing. If you do end up settling with Gurdurr, I'll also note that the Ground-type you should keep is Rhydon (and replace Steelix with one of the mons I listed above).

I also agree with the changes to Lilligant, Feraligatr, and Rhydon suggested above

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)