Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

Selyth, I believe further testing needs to be done on gender ratios but that is the going theory (it doesn't reroll anything)
Fair enough. One last question, from my experience of using my lucky pair of Magikarps for the previous few weeks I've been generating loads of 5 IVs, however considering I am using the 1st slot ability on my Magikarps when I switch in my new pair of mons' the ability should be locked to the first ability of that new mon' (from my understanding.) My Froakies I have been generating have the ability Protean, and I've been getting nothing else. I am using a female Protean Froakie when I switch them in. Although, I thought the ability was still supposed to be locked in to the first slot, especially considering I'm using Froakie which has a 1st slot and 2nd slot (or hidden slot) just like Magikarp. Does this conclude that the ability is not locked in, or am I just being really lucky, OR is the ability just locked to whatever the new female parent's ability is?

I think because:
Magikarp has swift swim for ability slot 1 & 2
and
Froakie's HA is in ability slot 2

So it is possible to generate a seed with HA, BUT since you are scouting with Magikarps, you are never sure because it has swift swim as ability 1 and 2.

*I recall seeing a table somewhere where it said magikarp has swift swim as ability 1 & 2, (but i cant find it anymore)

Last edited:
Selyth it's because you aren't using a female magikarp with Rattled as a scout so there's no way of knowing what slot ability you'll get when you switch out the parents.

I don't know if this is already posted, but what is the chance of getting the exact IV spread you want, using this method?
Not taking gender or ability into account.

I don't know if this is already posted, but what is the chance of getting the exact IV spread you want, using this method?
Not taking gender or ability into account.
Considering there are 6 IV's to choose from and with the Destiny Knot one stat is being RNG'd I believe it would be 1/6 or if you aren't picky on what mon' is turning into a 5 IV (just breeding them to trade) it would be 1/3 assuming you're going for either attack or special attack being RNG'd.

Selyth it's because you aren't using a female magikarp with Rattled as a scout so there's no way of knowing what slot ability you'll get when you switch out the parents.
I know I'm not using an HA female Magikarp to scout. I've switched to Pachirisu with a base of 2000 steps to hatch an egg and has 3 ability slots (including HA.) What I was asking before was; is the ability still being locked since I wasn't using HA parents to scout or was it just my luck that I was switching in the new parents and they would breed me a proper ability egg?

Considering there are 6 IV's to choose from and with the Destiny Knot one stat is being RNG'd I believe it would be 1/6 or if you aren't picky on what mon' is turning into a 5 IV (just breeding them to trade) it would be 1/3 assuming you're going for either attack or special attack being RNG'd.
By correct IV spread, i meant:

- to have the desired randomned stat (attack or sp. att)
AND
- to have the desired IV's inherited from the each of the parents.

so it would be like:

Since there is a 50% chance to get the IV from the correct parent, this would be my calculation (pls correct me, i'm no mathematician)
1/6 * (1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2)

I know I'm not using an HA female Magikarp to scout. I've switched to Pachirisu with a base of 2000 steps to hatch an egg and has 3 ability slots (including HA.) What I was asking before was; is the ability still being locked since I wasn't using HA parents to scout or was it just my luck that I was switching in the new parents and they would breed me a proper ability egg?
From what I understand every outcome (besides non-Masuda shinyness) is determined as soon as you reject/accept the the egg so the ability is always locked.

I just hatched a 6IV female Feebas:

I scouted a M/M/M/F/F/R magikarp, with the Random stat being 31 (I know this because none of the parent magikarps has 31 IV in speed)

I switched in a 31/31/31/31/31/x Deino with a x/x/x/31/31/x Feebas, and then let the magic begin :)

I just hatched a 6IV female Feebas:

I scouted a M/M/M/F/F/R magikarp, with the Random stat being 31 (I know this because none of the parent magikarps has 31 IV in speed)

I switched in a 31/31/31/31/31/x Deino with a x/x/x/31/31/x Feebas, and then let the magic begin :)
Are you checking the matching stats via the Battle Test place in Lumiose? How did you know that the last stat was 31?

Yes the battle test at Lumiose city to record the stats at lvl 50.

Enter the lvl 50 stats with the nature in this calculator: http://psypokes.com/dex/iv.php
It always gives you a range like 30~31 or 17~18.

You can always double check at the IV judge at Kiloude city:

If the calculator gives you a range of '30~31', and the judge says that the stat 'can't be beat', it means that the '30~31' is actually 31 and it's a perfect IV.
If the judge doesn't mention the stat, it means that the IV is exactly 30 (almost perfect).

just got a shiny pokemon from this method! test parents are two gyarados, and the offspring seems to get a 2-3 IV in defense, so this is a bit disappointing! knowing this, I swapped the gyarados for a ditto+ kanga (obviously from different countries) and I noticed that the NON-inherited stat is the special defense and not the defense... the question is, are there only this two different behaviours? I mean, are the choices only between pokes both male and female OR genderless/mono-gender pokes, or can I try other combos to see what happens? also, if you suggest me anything to test out, I can help :) for example, I tried to force the offspring to get gyarados iv defense by giving it the correct power item, but the offspring was no longer shiny! this is something very interesting! so please, suggest me every single test I can do with this beautiful thing:)

Yes the battle test at Lumiose city to record the stats at lvl 50.

Enter the lvl 50 stats with the nature in this calculator: http://psypokes.com/dex/iv.php
It always gives you a range like 30~31 or 17~18.

You can always double check at the IV judge at Kiloude city:

If the calculator gives you a range of '30~31', and the judge says that the stat 'can't be beat', it means that the '30~31' is actually 31 and it's a perfect IV.
If the judge doesn't mention the stat, it means that the IV is exactly 30 (almost perfect).
I knew about the Kiloude IV checker, I use him like gospel. Although, I forgot about online IV checkers thanks!

just got a shiny pokemon from this method! test parents are two gyarados, and the offspring seems to get a 2-3 IV in defense, so this is a bit disappointing! knowing this, I swapped the gyarados for a ditto+ kanga (obviously from different countries) and I noticed that the NON-inherited stat is the special defense and not the defense... the question is, are there only this two different behaviours? I mean, are the choices only between pokes both male and female OR genderless/mono-gender pokes, or can I try other combos to see what happens? also, if you suggest me anything to test out, I can help :) for example, I tried to force the offspring to get gyarados iv defense by giving it the correct power item, but the offspring was no longer shiny! this is something very interesting! so please, suggest me every single test I can do with this beautiful thing:)
That's odd, me having no experience with a shiny offspring so far couldn't tell you for sure but from what I'm hearing is that one of the scout parents were masuda and the other wasn't. Let's say the alternate region Gyarados was the female. I think that when you switch in the new pair you've gotta have a female masuda parent whilst the other being your region.

so wait, you hatched a shiny Gyarados or Kanga?

That's odd, me having no experience with a shiny offspring so far couldn't tell you for sure but from what I'm hearing is that one of the scout parents were masuda and the other wasn't. Let's say the alternate region Gyarados was the female. I think that when you switch in the new pair you've gotta have a female masuda parent whilst the other being your region.

so wait, you hatched a shiny Gyarados or Kanga?
let's clarify boys, I hatched a shiny karp with gyarados masuda parents, and I noticed that the NON-inherited stat was defense (2-3iv). so I softresetted, trying to force one of my masuda gyarados to pass down defense with the power item, and the other gyarados keeps destiny knot (so I simply loose control on the nature); this way, I hatched a NON-shiny karp. so probably forcing IV inheritance with power items changes the fact the offspring is shiny or not.
then, I softresetted again, and try to breed a vullaby (100% female) with a foreign ditto; one has an everstone, the other one has a destiny knot. the result is a shiny vullaby, but the NON-inherited stats was no longer the defense, but the special attack! so, figuring out that for genderless/mono-gendered pokes the inheritance behaviour was different, I soft resetted again and put an ideal couple of parents chosen from mono-gendered pokemon: flawless kanga (english) and flawless treecko (ita). the result was a shiny flawless kanga with 31/31/31/x/31/31, special attack being the NON-inherited stat, as expected from my previous tests! so I finally kept this one... Hope this sort of experience will help in the future people who hatch a shiny! using this pseudo-rng method, they will be able to swap for better parents to decide effectively WHICH poke has to be shiny! :)

Wow, this is great info.
I did not know that Shinyness also was kept.

My theory around the power item: Because the power item locks one 1 IV, it forces the Destiny knot to choose 4 new random IV's to inherit. Therefore the seed is also resetted. This explains why the shinyness was lost

Question: when you hatched your shiny karp with the MM parents, do the parents after the SR also need to be MM? (My guess is no)

There are two different possible inheritance spreads, one for monogender and one for bigender. Masuda shiny inheritance being constant was known, but its good to know that it stays across spreads.

I have already experimented with the power items, my results are in one of my earlier posts.

TL;DR version:
random stat: causes one other stat to become random, rest stay the same
4 of the inherited stats: now inherited from locked in parent, rest stay the same
Last stat: causes one other stat to change to a new inheritance in addition to being locked in to the expected stat. Occurs even if the parent with the power item would've passed on that stat anyway.

Wow, this is great info.

My theory around the power item: Because the power item locks one 1 IV, it forces the Destiny knot to choose 4 new random IV's to inherit. Therefore the seed is also resetted. This explains why the shinyness was lost

Question: when you hatched your shiny karp with the MM parents, do the parents after the SR also need to be MM? (My guess is no)
yes they NEEDED to be MM, because I was so happy for the incoming shiny kanga that I bred my flawless english kanga with an english male blastoise, and the result was a flawless NON-shiny kanga. I immediately understood what I did wrong, so I soft resetted and switched the english male blastoise for an italian male treecko. results: shiny flawless kanga, yes please!

I have already experimented with the power items, my results are in one of my earlier posts.

TL;DR version:
random stat: causes one other stat to become random, rest stay the same
4 of the inherited stats: now inherited from locked in parent, rest stay the same
Last stat: causes one other stat to change to a new inheritance in addition to being locked in to the expected stat. Occurs even if the parent with the power item would've passed on that stat anyway.
Heh, wish I'd checked this thread when I was messing around with Power items. However, I did find something strange you haven't written: certain Power items would change the random IV without changing the inheritance. I accidentally didn't save my results file, but I'm positive that one Power item (Bracer?) kept the random 20 HP IV, three more (Band, Belt, and Anklet) rerolled HP to 8, Lens changed the whole thing (as you said), and Weight obviously switched the randomised IV from HP (to Attack) and rerolled it to 31.
Wow, this is great info.

That might be the case. I guess it explains how switching to a genderless Pokémon made it shiny again (presumably breeding genderless Pokémon removes one RNG call, which the Power item adds back in at the end).

I believe it has a chance of working with non-MM parents, but most of the time it won't (if you're using MM parents, the chance is 6x greater, or at least was in BW2, so one of those 6 RNG rolls is the one used for non-MM parents).

Heh, wish I'd checked this thread when I was messing around with Power items. However, I did find something strange you haven't written: certain Power items would change the random IV without changing the inheritance. I accidentally didn't save my results file, but I'm positive that one Power item (Bracer?) kept the random 20 HP IV, three more (Band, Belt, and Anklet) rerolled HP to 8, Lens changed the whole thing (as you said), and Weight obviously switched the randomised IV from HP (to Attack) and rerolled it to 31.
Yeah I wasn't paying attention to the value of the random stat. Good to know. I find it particularly interesting that the one that didn't change the value is the same one that became randomized when you set the power item to the random stat, assuming your memory is correct.

Sorry I am a little new to this method. Can someone clarify some things for me~?
I am aiming for shiny eggs, I do have shiny charm and a JAP 6iv ditto to work with. So say I put it in the day care with my 5iv Gyarados. Following the insdructions in the first post, I reject the first egg, save, get the next egg then hatch it. Well.. the question is what do I do next if it is not a shiny one? Does it only work on the next egg after rejecting the first egg? Or can I get 5 eggs→hatch them→save→5eggs and keep looping? I am a bit confused on how it is done. ~"~

Sorry I am a little new to this method. Can someone clarify some things for me~?
I am aiming for shiny eggs, I do have shiny charm and a JAP 6iv ditto to work with. So say I put it in the day care with my 5iv Gyarados. Following the insdructions in the first post, I reject the first egg, save, get the next egg then hatch it. Well.. the question is what do I do next if it is not a shiny one? Does it only work on the next egg after rejecting the first egg? Or can I get 5 eggs→hatch them→save→5eggs and keep looping? I am a bit confused on how it is done. ~"~
You need a pair of scout parents. This was stated in the OP where he used a Scraggy. I for example, use Pachirisu it has one of the lowest bas egg hatching rates and has 3 ability slots to scout for abilities. Get a pair of those and/or Magikarps from the Friend Safari/Route 3. Now you've got your Magikarps (using for demonstration purposes but can be Pachirisu) you can put a Destiny Knot on one and Everstone on the other (make sure the parents both have a neutral nature i.e Docile, Quirk etc.) Go to the Battle Test in Lumiose City and put in a Magikarp with two other random Pokémon with the Magikarp not leading. This way you can go the Magikarps Summary and check it's stats. Record all the stats from each parent. Since you've recorded the stats you can now place your Magikarps in the daycare. Run around and reject the first egg. Save right after you do so. Generate a new egg with the same parents, hatch it, and check the offspring in the Battle Test. The stat that is not the same as the Male or Female is the one that is being randomly generated. If you get attack randomly generated and you're going for an special attack spread throw in some new parents that you want to produce a 5 IV offspring from (making sure that they've got the perfect IV's in which the offspring corresponded to on both the male and female.) The result should be a perfect 5 IV with your specified nature. Other things to note are that the gender and ability is LOCKED in as well as the IV spread when you reject the first Magikarp egg. If however, the new parents you put in for the Magikarps are a different gender ratio than 50-50 the gender is now rerolled and random. A video explaining what I just said can be found here. Since you're going for shinies, if the offspring of the Magikarps is shiny you MUST put in a new pair of parents where one is an alternate country to keep the Masuda odds. If you don't do that the new offspring will NOT be shiny. If you don't like the IV spread or the offspring is not shiny (with your odds it's 1/1024) just soft reset and it will bring you back to where you saved after you rejected the egg. Once you do this just generate another egg, reject it and save again. Again, not the best explanation so you might wanna check the video out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)