Pet Mod Solomods Megathread

Wild'mons
:gigalith:

A quick rundown of Wild'mons:

This is a technically a playable OM(Other Meta) based off the NatDex OU format. Pokemon are only allowed to use moves learned from level-up in Gens 7 and 8, and items are restricted to those found in nature.
Berries, type-boosting items(charcoal), and signature items like Chansey's Lucky Punch are essentially all you have.
Gems, Z-Moves, Mega Evolutions, and Dynamax are all banned as a result.

This is a completely unexplored metagame that spins the entirety of current gen pokemon on it's head, and is fun to theorymon about as well as play! Learn to appreciate a lot of pokemon for their robust level-up learnsets. (Cough cough, :snorlax: and :lucario: cough cough)

As I said previously, this is an OM, the goal however is that after running a Slate 0 and actually playing and exploring this concept, we will move on with a proper slate 1 where we will then go about proposing buffs to pre-existing moves that have zero competitive value(scratch or bubble for example) and by buffing the move, see how it impacts all the 'mons that learn said move.

As of right now there is projected to be no move additions to 'mons, although considerations towards potentially adding a universal option in protect is on the table.
However, no stat changes or type changes will happen, nor will any item additions, and there will be ZERO move removals or complicated bans. This will be a PM about exclusively playing the game and reworking moves.

What is Slate 0 then?

Slate 0 is a full month of playing and figuring stuff out, at the end of it everyone will submit their own personal tierlist(VR ranking for the uncultured) ranking the 'mons that they seen played. From there we'll move forward as said above with the actual 'PM' part of this project. Here below is the slate 0 banner.

1659633450876.png

Anyways, what IS the meta of this you may ask?

Hell if I know. I just know that basically nothing has U-Turn, and the only user of Scald is :simipour: , so that's pretty funny. Highly recommend you join and help discover what the meta is exactly!
Let's actually play some pokemon and have fun.

Here's a link to the discord.

https://discord.gg/VQXMUzSBdu

(This is fully playable, Rezzo has already coded it and we can jam out on the DH server, cya then!)

Last edited:

[Gen 3] Hoennification

In this mod of [Gen 3] OU, play with Gen 4-8 Pokemon in Gen 3! Rules are:

-If their Ability does not exist in Gen 3, or is Sand Veil (banned in [Gen 3] OU), it is changed to Illuminate (no competitive use)
-Only their Gen 1-3 moves are usable
-All Pokemon are updated to the latest standards, such as stats, Abilities, and movepools
-If a Pokemon would normally have Fairy type, it is now Normal type, instead
-Megas are nerfed to be a mid-ground between their base form and their Mega form, i.e. only 50% of the stat boosts carry over. No Mega Stones are needed, meaning they have a free item slot.

Bugs:
-Megas revert to their base forms in-battle (recent bug, didn't use to be like this)
-Hidden Abilities currently are not usable
-Mega Stones are automatically assigned and have to be manually unassigned
-Later Gen items show in TeamBuilder
-EV/IV spreads think Hidden Power is always Special
-Non-relevant Hidden Power types (such as Hidden Power Dragon) show up in TeamBuilder
-Baton Pass might need to be banned

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Wild'posting today :pimp:

I have been playing a lot of Wild'mons recently with the people in the discord and I wanted to give some thoughts about metagame trends that are starting to take place. First off, I'd like to post an updated version of my personal VR
my-image(23).png
Now, bear in mind, this is hardly definitive. First of all, I've only ranked mons I've played with or against. There are still a lot of undiscovered threats and answers, including some stuff I've theorycrafted myself that I decided to keep hidden. Second, it's only my opinion, and third, its bound to change again in some time. This was just to give a snapshot of what things look like right now and where I'll be coming from in my observations.

There are things in this tierlist that I think are ubiquitous, though. Especially in the first row.

Kartana
:ss/kartana:
Kartana is kinda broken. Only a little. A teensy little bit. Originally spotted for its surprising versatility in both offense and utility (it's the only steel type with reliable recovery), its best set quickly proved to be the swords dance machine. Kartana is a particular mon in how it gets access to actual coverage moves: most mons in the meta only have access to 2 or 3 attacking types, kartana has 6. This might sound like not much but its just enough for it to be able to beat any of its checks depending on what it chooses. Obviously, this leads to a pretty severe 4MSS, as you can only chose up to 3 moves along with sd, but that effectively means it can decided which mons it wants to lose against; and it's not hard to build your team in a way that beats those mons anyway.

You pretty much always want leaf blade, as its the only good stab moves it has access to, and sacred sword to deal with :heatran:, mirrors and just steel types in general. This leaves the last move being a choice between night slash, which deals with :blacephalon:, :zapdos:kinda, :moltres: and :necrozma:, or aerial ace, which deals with :buzzwole:, :tangrowth:, :chesnaught: and :volcarona:.

Another OP thing about kart is how little options there are to revenge kill it. In a meta with no scarf, there aren't that many things that can oustpeed and OHKO it back. For a paper mon, its pretty bulky. Zeraora's CC only kills back if kart has been chipped beyond 20%, a simple SR layer wont cut it. And if you haven't, then tough luck! You can always try to win the speed tie and countersweep from there, but thats not a dynamic i would call particularly healthy. That's not to say there are no options: :tornadus:, :talonflame:, :noivern: and :gengar: can deal with it pretty consistently, but all of those mons are pretty fringe options that serve little use beyond rkilling kart. +, you've still lost a mon in the process. A lot of other fast but more useful mons like :zeraora:, :greninja:, :starmie:, :latios: or :latias: just cant ko back consistently, that means you still need to be using more resources in your team to check kart beyond them.

On that note, if I had to tell what makes kart broken in a sentence, it's that you have to commit way too many resources to check it consistently. And you have to; there's very little playing around this mon, especially in a mod where mons have way less options than they do in regular play. It's not impossible to deal with kart, but it forces you to play borderline useless mons to counter it or to use two checks or more to be sure to cover everything it can do if you dont want to insta-lose against a team that uses sd kart as a wincon.

Excadrill (and hazards)
:ss/excadrill:
Excadrill is similar to kartana because it's a sd machine as well. It isn't broken in the same way papermon is, tho. You can blanket counter drill: just run :chesnaught:, :buzzwole: or :tangrowth:. But in some aspects, its even more meta defining and as menacing. This lies in its access to rapid spin. This allows it two things: to be the best hazard control option in the tier BY FAR and to be able to spiral out of control and sweep teams if given two turns of set up. I'm gonna talk about the hazards part later, so I'm gonna focus on the latter aspect for a while.

Once you get a +2 in attack and +1 in speed, if your opponent isn't running one of the three counters above, :slowbro:, :hippowdon: or like aqua jet :crawdaunt:, there's not really any other way to put it: it's gg. EQ + rock slide is a stupidly efficient combo that grants no mercy to anyone, and the few mons that can live them can't really do anything in return (looking at you steel/flyings). As for mons like :quagsire:, :rotom-wash: and :landorus-therian:, since they lost anything close to reliable recovery, they are very abusable and falter after being chipped consistently. Drill's 453 base speed at +1 when jolly means it outspeeds the whole unboosted metagame, even :zeraora: who oustpeeds adamant sets, so keep dreaming about revenge killing. Now, of course, you won't have a +2 +1 excadrill every game. If you give excadrill two turns to set up, that's on you tbh. Excadrill with only a speed boost is fairly easy to take hits from, and excadrill with only a SD up is sorta kart fodder. Even then, that does force you into making some plays if you don't want the drill to wake up. But that's not helped by how easy it is to bring drill out and rapid spin in this meta.

As mentionned above, rapid spin also serves as hazard removal. This is incredibley important as drill is a mon that can beat consistently every SR setter in the tier. This makes the hazard dynamics of wild'mons pretty particular: removal options are so much better than setters, but SRs in a meta where boots don't exist are still insanely good. In some way, this kinda forces every team to be running an excadrill, as elseway you'll be at a pretty huge disadvantage against hazards. :starmie: is an ok option too but it doesnt have the same ease as switching onto the common setters.

Talking about setters, let's go on a little tangent to talk about them.

:ss/necrozma: :ss/diancie: :ss/nihilego:
As you know, in wild'mons, mons only have their level up movepool. That means the pool of good SR setter is severely limited, and so those three mons have risen to be the most common ones, a sort of "big 3" if you want. Necrozma is the the most popular (i think), which makes sense considering its the only one to have reliable recovery in moonlight/morning sun. It's a good check to set up-less physical attackers, and recovery is always a very nice touch. It is very abusable though considering outside of a good stab and the moves mentionned above, it has a pretty bare movepool. At first I thought it was by far the best, but recently I've started to feel like diancie is the most splashable considering it walls :blacephalon:pretty hard as well as a bunch of other special attackers. It also nails stuff surpsingly hard. Nihilego is the worse out of the three imo, yeah double hazards is cool but its complete, iredeemable drill food.

Because yeah, the biggest weakness of these three mons is that all of them are drill food. Nihil is the worse at that but the other twos arent that much better; excadrill can switch in pretty much freely if any of those mons hit the field. Necrozma has access to ID which on stall actually makes it a fun drill check, but its not reliable for 2 cents and balance/bo sets would rather run charge beam or power gem if they could. Another point in diancie's favor is that its gets imo the best tool vs drill out of the three which is reflect. You can decide to set it up instead of SRs and this way get some cool free switches. But yeah in all three cases, the only way to get SRs set up consistnely is to switch a ghost type on the spin... Like yeah, as if you're gonna switch a blacephalon on excadrill.

That's why getting other hazards in instead can be more interesing :)

:ss/greninja::ss/deoxys-defense:
Spikes are in a pretty decent spot in this metagame imo. Gren has the nice trait of being able to brutally murder excadrill; As it outspeeds it, exca isnt safe at all if it switches in the turn it spikes. It can also nail :starmie: with night slash which makes it great at handling hazard setters. It's problems are that it's damage output is fairly weak, at least until it can activate battlebond, but even then it's still one of my favorite pokemon in the tier.

Special mention to Deo-D, haven't seen/played enough with it but its access to recover and knock off is a pretty big deal. There's no way this mon is bad, I just wonder if superpower is enough for it to not be turbo set-up fodder.

I guess the biggest issue with spikes is just that it doesnt touch flying types, which is kind of a big deal for :kartana: sweeps. Well, at least you can set them up lol.

:ss/toxapex:
Toxic spikes are a great segway for me to talk about Pex for a bit because this is a pretty important pokémon as well. As a mon with recover and regen, its still a great sponge for a ton of thing just like it is in regular play, especially for stuff that would be unmanageable elseway like :blacephalon:. It's biggest sin in wild'mons is being kart food, but everything else it can handle somewhat well thanks to a combination of toxic and liquidation. Fun fact: the latter 2HKOs uninvested drill. Makes you think twice about trying to switch on the tspikes turn. But yeah, obviously you can't get your pex on the drill unless you run :tapu-bulu: or something.

About tspikes, those are great in this meta. That makes sense considering boots are no more, but the relatively low presence of bulky steel types makes them hurt a lot more than you could think.

:excadrill:
So yeah, except for gren which is a mon i think im the only one running rn lol, excadrill is kinda having a field day against hazards in this mod. It's existence also makes webs kind of unplayable, since no setter is able to deal with its presence bar like :shuckle: lmao. So, in that sense, excadrill makes for a very meta-defining pokémon. I have a hard time seeing how this meta will look like if we ban it, or even if its a good idea to ban it at all.

~

Those two mons are the undisputable best of wild'mons. I think kartana should be banned asap, I'm still on the fence about drill, and that's about it. Other than that, I'd like to talk about some other stuff that's been on my mind.

Tapu Lele
:ss/tapu-lele:
I love wild'mons tapu lele man, it's so fun. Since murder lens aren't a thing anymore, lele has to resort to some sort of support wallbreaker that wears down steel over time with nature's madness. I've enjoyed playing it with spikes since it makes this task go that much faster. Obviously, a psyshock or a moonblast from 130 spa under psychic terrain still hurts as hell, so it's still a pretty good cleaner and a great core dismantler. The last really fun thing is that its best 4th move option is aromatherapy, which makes it somehow of a utility pick as well. Running it with :kartana: is a great way to shrug paralysis from zapdos off, or to invalidate pex in general. Just a very flexible mon that never fails to make progress.

Hurricane
:ss/pelipper::bw/moltres::ss/tornadus:
moltres' xy sprites is ridiculously big so ive opted for bw instead. I dont really know what to say other than "strong moves go brr" but yea i think all three of those are legitimate offensive threats that are fairly hard to deal with. Pelipper is special because of it's ability allowing it to never fail + having HUGE hydro pumps to nail stuff like :heatran: or :tyranitar: which is just mwah. Moltres is the best one at dealing with steels and can actually handle :kartana: and :excadrill: (on a double-switch) pretty well. Both of them have roost which also gives them a lot more longevity than other wallbreakers of the tier. Torn-I is different as it doesnt learn roost, but in return, it's faster than kart and also learns more coverage. It gets dark pulse to nail :blacephalon: and :necrozma:, extrasensory for :toxapex:, and hammer arm for :tyranitar:. It's kind of unfortunate that :tornadus-therian: is stuck in Uber right now as regen is great for it, making it a very reliable kart check, but for the meantime torn-i does its job very well imo.

The losers
:ss/ferrothorn::ss/weavile::ss/blissey:
Unforunately, with their movepool being cut, those mons are borderline unviable. Blissey is the definition of passivity, weavile's best stabs are night slash and ice shard (LOL) and ferro lost literally every single utility move it had. Enjoy running band gyro ball I guess. Some other struggling titans include corv and skarm, who, without roost or body press, cant respond to :kartana: or :excadrill: reliably at all. Gliscor is just sad man it lost EQ, roost, sr, and the ability to hold a toxic orb lol.

~

So yeah, I've had a ton of fun playing this meta up to now, and i cant wait to see where it goes in the future! Consider joining the discord, the link's in zorz's post up there on this page.

NDEG UPDATE!
The Wonder Launcher now has compatibility and utility for Z-Moves and Dynamax with two new Items! Z-Refresh and D-Refresh can be used from the Wonder Launcher for 14 points each!
(if anyone was coding NDEG in my leave, sorry for the sudden extra work)

I was thinking of the following mod. I hope this is the right place.

Name of Mod: Neo GSC
Mascot (Optional): Snorlax, I guess.
Summary of the Mod: The mod is a blend between GSC and current gen. It blends the metas as follows:

Current gen:
- The fairy type exists. The type chart is the same as today.
- All Pokemon from current gen can be used. Their attributes (base stats, movepool, typing) are completely based off the current generation.
- The Physical/special split has taken place. All physical and special moves behave like they do in current gen, and can be used.

GSC:
- There are no abilities. No compensation for Pokemon that relied on their ability to function.
- You can only use held items from gen2.
- All Status moves behave like in gen2. Status moves that didn't exist in gen2 cannot be used, even if they are copies.
- Status conditions like Badly Poison or mechanics like critical hits behave like in gen2.
- There are no Natures and all stats can be maxed out.

Finally, more mg1 posting

As I am sure you all know as you are all mg1 players (right?!?!?), Dragapult got banned. Gonna go over the winners and losers because you can never have enough mg1 posting.

Winners
:Victini: Pult didnt like twave, but it could check tini quite well
:Corviknight: Doesnt have to let in the best breaker of all time ever whenever it wants to click a move
:Garchomp: Chomper is pretty hard to revenge kill and most teams relied on pult to do that, though chomper doesnt like the increase in psychics/gren either
:Latias: :Latios: :Alakazam: :Azelf: :Greninja: Resident bug weaks don't have to be scared of blazing fast uturns anymore
:Slowbro: One less uturn spammer and less zeraora makes for a happy Slowbro
:Ninjask: One less uturn resist and 100% less mons to eat gambit
:sirfetchd: Doesnt have to choose between Brave Bird and pjab anymore to hit its 2 counters
:cresselia: :deoxys-defense: One of the strongest uturn users can't spam uturn on them and force recovery
:Durant: :Golisopod: First impression go brrrr harder
:Kartana: Very few things that outspeed this can actually ohko it now, so it can make huge holes with steel beam
:Silvally: :Lickilicky: 100% less ghosts to eat explosions
:Accelgor: Accelgor used Final Gambit!
:Falinks: This mon couldnt touch pult at all and couldnt even switch out so it is very very glad it is gone

Losers
:tapu-koko: This is a fake check to pult anyway but it was nice to slap on a team and pretend that you werent still 6-0d
:zeraora: The best offensive pult check is out of a job, still a pretty insane breaker
:stunfisk: Zeraora L = Stunfisk L
:blastoise: Toise quite enjoyed having a mon ohkod by Blizzard (Pult) + another one ohkod by Hydro Cannon (Pult check) on every team
:huntail: Blastoise L = Huntail L
:diancie: :primarina: Still usable without pult around, but significantly worse
:mimikyu: :florges: These two can't even pretend to be viable anymore

This concludes the mg1 posting for today, reminder to join the tour if you have not already, signups close on the 15th.

Hello, silly worm here dropping a random little GSC Doubles guide out of nowhere. Hopefully this will entice more people to play this mod that I've had a lot of fun with.

Basic Mechanics
GSC Doubles uses all of the normal mechanics from generation II, and all doubles-specific interactions are taken from generation III. This means that a Pokémon that faints gets replaced in the middle of a turn rather than at the end, spread moves that only hit opponents like Surf and Rock Slide have their damage reduced by 50% and spread moves that target all adjacent Pokémon like Earthquake and Explosion have no damage reduction, meaning they are very powerful!

Good Strategies/Differences from Singles
A lot of the fun in GSC Doubles is utilizing parts of generation II that you don't see in standard metagames often, whether it be moves, Pokémon, or items.

Miracle Berry - While there is little reason to run this item in singles, the faster paced nature of double battles makes a one-time protection from paralysis or sleep much more valuable. Leftovers is still incredible, especially with increased usage of Protect

Icy Wind - Completely useless in singles, Icy Wind is one of the best forms of speed control with the absence of any move like Tailwind or Trick Room; it allows many mid-range speed Pokémon to have a much stronger presence on the field.

Protect - Anyone with doubles experience knows how important of a move Protect is, and with the much more limited movepools of generation II, it's extremely rare to have a good enough reason to not run it.

Encore - And with all of those Protects, there is a move to punish them. Especially dangerous on faster Pokémon, Encore can punish passive play the same way it would in any other format.

Earthquake/Explosion - Incredibly powerful breaking moves, as long as your ally is using Protect or is immune to them. Ground/Flying duos are incredibly strong especially with Marowak existing, and Explosion can even trade 2 opposing mons for just 1 of yours with the right prediction.

Nerfed Singles Strategies - Stuff you may be used to seeing in regular GSC like Roar/Whirlwind, Spikes, Toxic, and RestTalk haven't really found a place in GSC Doubles for the time being.

Very Very Rough Role Compendium
Leads
:alakazam: / :articuno: / :electrode: / :exeggutor: / :jolteon: / :jynx: / :raikou: / :smeargle: / :starmie: / :suicune: / :tauros: / :tyranitar: / :zapdos:

Speed Control
:alakazam: / :blissey: / :electrode: / :jolteon: / :porygon2: / :starmie: / :zapdos: (Thunder Wave)
:articuno: / :blissey: / :cloyster: / :jynx: / :marowak: / :miltank: / :nidoking: / :porygon2: / :smeargle: / :snorlax: / :starmie: / :suicune: / :tauros: / :vaporeon: (Icy Wind)
:jumpluff: (Cotton Spore)

Attackers/Breakers
:heracross: / :machamp: / :marowak: / :snorlax: / :tauros: (Physical)
:alakazam: / :exeggutor: / :gengar: / :jynx: / :raikou: / :starmie: / :vaporeon: / :zapdos: (Special)
:nidoking: / :tyranitar: (Mixed)

Boosters/Sweepers
:snorlax: / :steelix: (Curse)
:marowak: / :scizor: (Swords Dance)
:snorlax: (Belly Drum)
:jolteon: / :vaporeon: (Growth)

Anti Speed Control
:marowak: / :nidoking: / :steelix: (Ground Type)
:articuno: / :suicune: (Mist, yes I'm being serious, it's a good countermeasure to Icy Wind)

Explosion/Selfdestruct
:cloyster: / :electrode: / :exeggutor: / :golem: / :gengar: / :snorlax: / :steelix:

Sleep
:jynx: / :jumpluff: / :nidoking: / :snorlax: (Lovely Kiss/Sleep Powder)
:smeargle: (Spore)

EQ Immunity
:articuno: / :crobat: / :jumpluff: / :moltres: / :zapdos:

Encore
:alakazam: / :jumpluff: / :smeargle:

Screens
:alakazam: / :meganium: / :starmie: / :zapdos:

Weather Abusers
:jolteon: / :raikou: / :starmie: / :vaporeon: / :zapdos: (Rain)
:entei: / :houndoom: / :moltres: (Sun)

Baton Pass
:jolteon: (Growth)
??????? Other things maybe???????

Heal Bell
:blissey: / :miltank:

Don't be afraid to experiment with Pokémon that aren't listed here! You might just find the next top 5 new meta poke....

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Chatot Reimagination
Mascot: Chatot

Link to Changes: Click
Summary of the Mod: The idea is a metagame with simple changes and some different mechanics;

Changes: The target of the changes is some low tier Pokémon, with some buffs, like stats, abilities, signature moves. Some moves were also changed to be usable or nerfed by a little, or simply another imagination of them. (Note: Move additions from Pokémon Legends Arceus and Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl are present, so things like Abomasnow with Flamethrower and Gardevoir with Recover are present.)
Mechanics Changed:
Hidden Abilities: There are no Hidden Abilities in the metagame, but some Pokémon that are viable only for having those abilities have other abilities replaced by their hidden abilities so they are able to be viable.
New Moves: Some moves have been added to shake some playstyles and Pokémon viability a little.
Z-Moves: Removed!
Gen 8 Pokémon: Generation Eight's abilities, moves and Pokémon are reimagined to fit in a more "past-gen-like" format, so all abilities added on generation 8 are removed, the same with some of the moves.

Competitive Overview:

Some Pokémon could be viable with changes so some examples:
Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard / Icicle Crash
- Earth Power / Earthquake
- Leaf Storm / Wood Hammer
- Aurora Veil / Flamethrower / Ice Shard

Abomasnow now has Slush Rush when it mega evolves and it has some STAB rebalances (-15 on both defenses and +30 spe)

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Glowing Up
- Focus Blast

Ampharos base has Dazzling, and it's able to block priority moves (even if they are unusual). When it mega evolves, it gets Fluffy so it is able to have a decent bulk plus Glowing Up (a Tail Glow clone)

Slaking @ Life Orb / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch / Play Rough / Ice Punch
- Slack Off

Slaking has Defeatist as its secondary ability, so it can be very much stronger, with Slack Off to ignore the Defeatist effects.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Empoleon is now a solid wall that has good defensive types, recovery and pivot.
Interesting and all, but I have one question.

Since when Abomasnow can even learn Flamethrower?

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
:heatran: :air balloon: :snorlax:

Solomod name: Modern Gen 2
Concept: National Dex based metagame with gen2 PS mechanics. No abilities, since these do not exist in this generation.
Explanation: This metagame takes the concept of Modern Gen 1 to apply it to the following generation: legalities of movesets are defined by National Dex, abilities not taken into account. Certain moves and mechanics behave very weirdly in this format, because of the way PS! coded them. Those are accepted as part of the identity of the metagame.
Banned Pokemon
:Arceus: Arceus
:Calyrex-Ice: Calyrex-Ice
:Calyrex-Shadow: Calyrex-Shadow
:Darkrai: Darkrai
:Deoxys: Deoxys
:Deoxys-Attack: Deoxys-Attack
:Deoxys-Speed: Deoxys-Speed
:Dialga: Dialga
:Eternatus: Eternatus
:Giratina: Giratina
:Groudon: Groudon
:Ho-Oh: Ho-Oh
:Kyogre: Kyogre
:Kyurem-White: Kyurem-White
:Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black
:Lugia: Lugia
:Lunala: Lunala
:Magearna: Magearna
:Marshadow: Marshadow
:Mewtwo: Mewtwo
:Naganadel: Naganadel
:Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
:Necrozma-Dawn-Wings: Necrozma-Dawn-Wings
:Palkia: Palkia
:Pheromosa: Pheromosa
:Rayquaza: Rayquaza
:Regigigas: Regigigas
:Reshiram: Reshiram
:Slaking: Slaking
:Solgaleo: Solgaleo
:Tapu Koko: Tapu Koko
:volcarona: Volcarona
:Xerneas: Xerneas
:yveltal: Yveltal
:Zacian: Zacian
:Zamazenta: Zamazenta
:Zekrom: Zekrom
:Zygarde: Zygarde

Banned moves
Fake Out
Shell Smash

Banned items
:alakazite: Alakazite
:soul dew: Soul Dew
And every other item banned from the National Dex format, except Mega-Stones.

Clauses
Species Clause: two Pokemon with the same national pokedex number cannot be used.
Sleep Clause Mod: Players can not induce sleep on more than one of the opponent's Pokémon at once.
Evasion Clause: a Pokemon cannot have Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
OHKO Clause: a Pokemon cannot have Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
No Ability Clause: a Pokemon has to have the No Ability ability.
Endless Battle Clause: players cannot intentionally prevent an opponent from ending the game without forfeiting.
This is, of course, a temporary VR. The meta still is being figured out, so do not expect it to be very accurate - this is just a snapshot of what the meta might look like right now. This is also why ranks are not subdivided yet. Pokemon are sorted alphabetically within the ranks.
S
:melmetal:
A
:blacephalon: :dragapult: :ferrothorn: :heatran: :latias: :latios: :mew: :snorlax: :terrakion: :toxapex: :starmie:
B
:alakazam: :blissey: :diancie: :excadrill: :garchomp: :gastrodon: :genesect: :greninja: :jirachi: :kyurem: :landorus-therian: :regieleki: :skarmory: :suicune: :talonflame: :tyranitar: :victini: :zapdos: :zeraora:
C
:aegislash: :azelf: :coalossal: :dusknoir: :froslass: :gengar: :gliscor: :gourgeist: :forretress: :hippowdon: :hoopa: :hoopa-unbound: :infernape: :kartana: :keldeo: :landorus: :magnezone: :manaphy: :metagross: :milotic: :nidoking: :palossand: :primarina: :ribombee: :roserade: :salamence: :stakataka: :tapu fini: :zygarde-10%:
Council:
:rhydon: 3MoreMinutes
:Magikarp: Noglastica
:meltan: R8

If you want to explore this rapidly evolving metagame with us, make sure to join our discord server, where you can also find replays:
https://discord.gg/bW5qQCY5U5
/challenge gen2customgame @@@ gen8nationaldex, !obtainable, -Alakazite, -Fake Out, -Shell Smash, -Soul Dew, -Arceus, -Calyrex-Ice, -Calyrex-Shadow, -Darkrai, -Deoxys, -Deoxys-Attack, -Deoxys-Speed, -Dialga, -Eternatus, -Giratina, -Groudon, -Kyogre, -Kyurem-White, -Kyurem-Black, -Lunala, -Magearna, -Marshadow, -Naganadel, -Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, -Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, -Palkia, -Pheromosa, -Rayquaza, -Regigigas, -Reshiram, -Slaking, -Solgaleo, -Tapu Koko, -Volcarona, -Xerneas, -Yveltal, -Zacian, -Zamazenta, -Zekrom, -Zygarde, +Celebi, +Cinderace, +Darmanitan-Galar, +Dracovish, +Dragapult, +Genesect, +Landorus-Base, +Mew, +Spectrier, +Tornadus-Therian, +Urshifu-Base, +Shaymin-Sky, !teampreview, -all abilities, +No Ability

Last edited:
I am unretiring RBY 898, and renaming it to:

[Gen 1] Kantoification

In this mod of [Gen 1] OU, play with Gen 2-8 Pokemon in Gen 1! Rules are:

-Special stat is the average of Special Attack and Special Defense, rounded down.
-Only their Gen 1 moves are usable
-Beta mons are in (thanks May!)
-All Pokemon are updated to the latest standards, such as stats and movepools
-If a Pokemon would normally have Dark or Fairy type, it is now Normal type, instead; as well, Steel is now Rock type.
-Megas are nerfed to be a mid-ground between their base form and their Mega form, i.e. only 50% of the stat boosts carry over. No Mega Stones are needed, obviously

Bugs:
-Mega Stones are automatically assigned and have to be manually unassigned

Last edited by a moderator:
:heatran: :air balloon: :snorlax:

Solomod name: Modern Gen 2
Concept: National Dex based metagame with gen2 PS mechanics. No abilities, since these do not exist in this generation.
Explanation: This metagame takes the concept of Modern Gen 1 to apply it to the following generation: legalities of movesets are defined by National Dex, abilities not taken into account. Certain moves and mechanics behave very weirdly in this format, because of the way PS! coded them. Those are accepted as part of the identity of the metagame.
Banned Pokemon
:Arceus: Arceus
:Calyrex-Ice: Calyrex-Ice
:Calyrex-Shadow: Calyrex-Shadow
:Darkrai: Darkrai
:Deoxys: Deoxys
:Deoxys-Attack: Deoxys-Attack
:Deoxys-Defense: Deoxys-Defense
:Deoxys-Speed: Deoxys-Speed
:Dialga: Dialga
:Eternatus: Eternatus
:Giratina: Giratina
:Groudon: Groudon
:Ho-Oh: Ho-Oh
:Kyogre: Kyogre
:Kyurem-White: Kyurem-White
:Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black
:Lugia: Lugia
:Lunala: Lunala
:Magearna: Magearna
:Marshadow: Marshadow
:Mew: Mew
:Mewtwo: Mewtwo
:Naganadel: Naganadel
:Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
:Necrozma-Dawn-Wings: Necrozma-Dawn-Wings
:Palkia: Palkia
:Pheromosa: Pheromosa
:Rayquaza: Rayquaza
:Regigigas: Regigigas
:Reshiram: Reshiram
:Slaking: Slaking
:Solgaleo: Solgaleo
:Tapu Koko: Tapu Koko
:Xerneas: Xerneas
:Zacian: Zacian
:Zamazenta: Zamazenta
:Zekrom: Zekrom
:Zygarde: Zygarde

Banned moves
Fake Out
Shell Smash

Banned items
:alakazite: Alakazite
:soul dew: Soul Dew
And every other item banned from the National Dex format, except Mega-Stones.

Clauses
Species Clause: two Pokemon with the same national pokedex number cannot be used.
Sleep Clause Mod: Players can not induce sleep on more than one of the opponent's Pokémon at once.
Evasion Clause: a Pokemon cannot have Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
OHKO Clause: a Pokemon cannot have Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
No Ability Clause: a Pokemon has to have the No Ability ability.
Endless Battle Clause: players cannot intentionally prevent an opponent from ending the game without forfeiting.
Council:
:rhydon: 3MoreMinutes
:Magikarp: Noglastica
:meltan: R8

If you want to explore this rapidly evolving metagame with us, make sure to join our discord server, where you can also find replays:
https://discord.gg/bW5qQCY5U5
/challenge gen2customgame @@@ gen8nationaldex, !obtainable, -Regigigas, -Slaking, -Fake Out, -Shell Smash, -Soul Dew, +Cinderace, +Darmanitan-Galar, +Dracovish, +Dragapult, +Genesect, +Landorus-Base, +Mew, +Spectrier, +Tornadus-Therian, +Urshifu-Base, +Shaymin-Sky, !teampreview, -all abilities, +No Ability

Wow what a super neat looking format that I have absolutely no personal tie to.

I just wanted to hype up mg2 because I genuinely believe it is the coolest metagame that I've ever played. I made a WatchMojo Top 10 list to get you all to join mg2.

Welcome to Watch Mojo, today, we'll be counting down the Top 10 Most Dangerous Waterslides Reasons You Should Play MG2.

1. :aerodactyl: Hazard Metagame :aerodactyl:
I would argue this is one of the most centralizing aspects of mg2, and that is hazard control. Like in Generation 2, there's only one layer of spikes, but bringing in current gen moves, it adds stealth rocks and toxic spikes to the game. This is also pre-defog buff, so rapid spin is your only way to actually get rid of hazards. The strength of hazards makes it much easier for offensive teams to break through stall, especially with the nerf to Heavy Duty Boots.

2. :heavy duty boots: Heavy Duty Boots Nerf :heavy duty boots:
This is very much a personal complaint, but I absolutely hate heavy duty boots. In generation 8, they get thrown on fat pivots to make them near impossible to break, making hazards feel much less important than prior generations, and making knock almost mandatory for progress on teams. In mg2, boots no longer provide a spike/toxic spike immunity, but still give immunities to stealth rocks. To me, this is the absolute best case scenario, and I believe that this is how boots should have been implemented in Generation 8. This still allows viability to 4x rock weak Pokemon, but doesn't allow pivots to completely ignore hazards.

To make the hazard game even more interesting, Air Balloon itself received an unintended buff when imported into Generation 2. Air Balloon makes its holder immune to spikes, toxic spikes, and ground types, while still taking stealth rock damage. However, it is unable to be popped, (although it can be knocked off) meaning that you can essentially choose to make a given Pokemon either stealth rock or spike+ground immune. We were afraid that Balloon would be too overpowered, especially on something like Heatran, but it turns out that it is not as strong as we initially thought. Most teams do have at least one balloon user, but even Pokemon like Heatran which are 4x weak to ground still favor Leftovers more. The "hazard immunity split" of boots and balloon also makes (annoying) volt-turn strategies less effective as the team using volt-turn cannot be immune to all forms of hazards like in Generation 8.

3. :melmetal: Generation II Mechanics :melmetal:
I really like Generation 2 mechanics, and this is what really gives the tier its flavor. Like Generations 1-3, Generation 2 is part of the physical special split in which 8 types are physical (fairy becomes physical) and 8 types are special. There are also no abilities which can be perceived as a positive and negative, although I like it as it removes abilities like regenerator which I believe are negative for competitive metagames. Generation 2 is also the generation with the BEST Sleep Talk mechanics, in which Sleep Talk can call Rest, which uses rest normally. While this was changed in Generation 3 because of the durability of Sleep Talk users in Gen 2, the more stronger Pokemon available in mg2 prevent this from being as potent as it was in Generation 2. That being said, offensive sleep talk users are very much viable, just watch R8 get 6-0d by Sleep Talk Melmetal.

4. :archeops: A Large Variety of Viability :archeops:
WIth the physical special split and a change in some mechanics, Pokemon like Snorlax with little usage now, yet near 100% usage in GSC OU, are now being used with NDOU Pokemon. My personal favorite example is Archeops, without his ability defeatist, he's a strong lead with access to Stealth Rock and a fast Taunt. Don't tell anyone but I'm building a team with Normal Gem Boomburst Toucannon.

5. :starmie: Lead Metagame :starmie:
One of the most interesting aspects of the meta to me, and something that no longer exists after Generation 4, is the lead metagame. I'd compare mg2 lead metagame to that of DPP Ubers (one of the most interesting lead metagames), where you have opportunities to either try and limit opposing leads to one layer, or try and set up your own first. Leads have been heavily varied from Mew to Greninja to Starmie.

6. :charizard: Balanced Playstyles :charizard:
Although the meta is certainly still young, everything really does feel balanced. At first I was afraid that offense was going to be too overpowered, but people have been experimenting with balance and stall and all three feel very viable. Offense still does feel slightly stronger than both balance and stall, but they're all incredibly balanced.

7. :smogduck: The Community :smogduck:
Feels like a cliche to say, but I do genuinely believe that everyone in the mg2 community is nice. They're all really mean to me personally, but they're nice to everyone else so you'll be fine. All jokes aside, there's always someone online if you want to test certain mechanics or just battle, and it's always fun to see what other people are experimenting with.

8. :metagross-mega: Balanced Mega Evolutions :metagross-mega:
Another unanticipated change was the nerf to Mega Stones. If you switch out after having mega-evolved, you lose your mega stone as well as your mega evolution form, and cannot mega evolve again. This essentially turns mega evolutions into a one time power boost which does reduce the viability of Megas. That being said, the meta feels more balanced as a result, and allowed us to unban some NDOU banned Mega Evolutions like Mega Lucario.

9. :toxapex: Scald Nerf :toxapex:
Everybody loves the move scald, so I'm sure everyone was upset to find out that scald can no longer burn water types (take notes GameFreak).

10. :snorlax: Boom Funny :snorlax:
In Generation 2, using explosion halves the opposing Pokemon's defense, and combined with items like Normal Gem which increase the power of a normal type attack by 1.3, it makes explosion VERY fun to use.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM, and feel free to join our discord. I hope you consider giving mg2 a try!

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Servus! A new update for ADV Now. I've got some unbans, bans, tier & viability shifts

Unbans:
:cloyster: Uber => OU

Bans:
:deoxys-attack: Uber => AG
:kyogre: Uber => AG

:combusken: NFE => PUBL
:dragonair: NFE => PUBL
:vigoroth: NFE => PUBL

Rises:
:medicham: UUBL => OU
:tauros: UUBL => OU

:clefairy: NFE => NU
:golbat: NFE => NU
:metang: NFE => NU

:abra: LC => PU
:chinchou: LC => PU
:croconaw: NFE => PU
:gloom: NFE => PU
:graveler: NFE => PU
:lairon: NFE => PU
:machoke: NFE => PU
:marshtomp: NFE => PU
:pikachu: NFE => PU
:pupitar: NFE => PU
:quilava: NFE => PU
:seadra: NFE => PU
:shelgon: NFE => PU
:staryu: LC => PU

Drops:
:dusclops: OU => UUBL
:tyranitar: OU => UUBL

:metagross: OU => UU
:slowking: OU => UU

:mantine: UU => RU
:miltank: UU => RU
:tangela: UU => RU

:ursaring: RU => NUBL

:butterfree: RU => NU
:metang: RU => NU

:mightyena: RU => ZU
:spinda: RU => ZU

From NU to PU:
:banette::bellossom::chimecho::girafarig::hypno::kecleon::masquerain::pelipper::persian::pidgeot::regice::relicanth::roselia::seviper::stantler::togetic::torkoal::wailord::walrein::wigglytuff:

From NU to ZU:
:aipom::ampharos::arbok::ariados::beautifly::beedrill::castform::corsola::delcatty::delibird::dewgong::ditto::dunsparce::dustox::farfetchd::flareon::furret::glalie::illumise::ledian::lickitung::luvdisc::magcargo::minun::nosepass::octillery::parasect::plusle::politoed::seaking::shedinja::shuckle::smeargle::sunflora::swalot::tropius::volbeat::wobbuffet::yanma:
Rises:
:tauros: B+ => A

:medicham: B+ => A-
:snorlax: B => A-

:aerodactyl: B => B+
:donphan: B- => B+
:flygon: B- => B+

Drops:
:metagross: B+ => B
S Rank

:jirachi: Jirachi
:scizor: Scizor

S- Rank

:dragonite: Dragonite
:clefable: Clefable

A+ Rank

:zapdos: Zapdos
:slowbro: Slowbro
:mew: Mew
:kingdra: Kingdra
:heracross: Heracross
:celebi: Celebi

A Rank

:breloom: Breloom
:nidoking: Nidoking
:suicune: Suicune
:azumarill: Azumarill
:crawdaunt: Crawdaunt
:skarmory: Skarmory
:starmie: Starmie
:tauros: Tauros

A- Rank

:snorlax: Snorlax
:linoone: Linoone
:gyarados: Gyarados
:feraligatr: Feraligatr
:sharpedo: Sharpedo
:raikou: Raikou
:moltres: Moltres
:entei: Entei
:swellow: Swellow
:salamence: Salamence
:medicham: Medicham

B+ Rank

:flygon: Flygon
:swampert: Swampert
:aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
:slowking: Slowking
:blissey: Blissey
:milotic: Milotic
:donphan: Donphan

B Rank

:metagross: Metagross
:tyranitar: Tyranitar
:charizard: Charizard
:blastoise: Blastoise
:granbull: Granbull
:ludicolo: Ludicolo

B- Rank

:hariyama: Hariyama
:registeel: Registeel
:machamp: Machamp
:exploud: Exploud
:dusclops: Dusclops

C Rank

:kabutops: Kabutops
:venusaur: Venusaur
:gardevoir: Gardevoir
:espeon: Espeon
:magneton: Magneton
:claydol: Claydol
:misdreavus: Misdreavus
:venomoth: Venomoth
:ditto: Ditto
:aggron: Aggron
Uber

S Rank

:groudon: Groudon
:rayquaza: Rayquaza

A+ Rank

:clefable: Clefable
:ho-oh: Ho-Oh
:deoxys: Deoxys
:mewtwo: Mewtwo

A Rank

:venusaur: Venusaur
:snorlax: Snorlax
:zapdos: Zapdos
:deoxys-speed: Deoxys-Speed

A- Rank

:gengar: Gengar
:alakazam: Alakazam
:heracross: Heracross

B+ Rank

:deoxys-defense: Deoxys-Defense
:charizard: Charizard
:lugia: Lugia
:cloyster: Cloyster

B Rank

:quagsire: Quagsire
:blissey: Blissey
:jirachi: Jirachi
:dugtrio: Dugtrio

B- Rank

:crawdaunt: Crawdaunt
:mew: Mew
:dragonite: Dragonite
:celebi: Celebi

C+ Rank

:latias: Latias
:shedinja: Shedinja

C Rank

:claydol: Claydol
:wobbuffet: Wobbuffet

C- Rank

:entei: Entei
:latios: Latios
:flygon: Flygon

I will also rotate between the secondary format for this mod. Currently it is Ubers, but for the next two weeks I will make it ADV Now ZU.

That's it for now, cya.

FnF Showdown Logo.png

Name of Mod: FnF Showdown
I know what you're thinking, and no this is not a Friday Night Funkin' mod LOL. This is the pet mod that the FnF (Fun n' Friendly Gaming :) ) discord server has been working on for over a year and I figure I'd post here to share it to the world since we're nearing completion of the original goal!

Mascot: Hypno

Link to Changes: Official Google Sheets Link
All changes are published in the above link. There is very rigorous documentation of each change that is made in the mod which is easily accessible in multiple ways. For example, the Pokedex tab shows you all pokemon quickly at a glance, while the PokeViewer tab allows you to zoom in on seeing one pokemon in detail. Viewers may click the blue box in the PokeViewer tab and type in any pokemon they wish to see. All other changes, such as new moves, custom skins, new abilities, events, mechanic changes, etc. have their own tabs.
Finally, a specialized doc listing the custom pokemon and points system is accessible from the Directory on the doc as well. There, you'll find more information about the custom pokemon specifically, as well as sprites and credits for them all.

Summary of the Mod:
FnF Showdown started as a community project to buff low tier pokemon so that they'd be worthy of being used as as Tier 3 pokemon (in a USUM 5 Tier draft system) or as an RU pokemon or above. This was a relatively simple albeit lofty goal, but as time has gone on it's become so much more than that. We've also created and implemented custom pokemon, made entirely new moves and abilities, and have even had events where people get to follow along with a story and participate to change the story and influence custom pokemon in the future.
At the time of writing, we are almost completely done with buffing low tier pokemon. We have a little bit over 30 left. Each buff takes about 1-2 days to complete as the community engages in discussion on what buff to implement and how it would work in terms of balance. It has been over a year and we've had so much go on that it's exciting to be almost done with our initial goal.
What comes next? Playtesting, balancing, meta analysis/changes, draft leagues, and all that good stuff.
Finally, a very important aspect of FnF Showdown has been the community. Our community consists of a mix of skill levels (all skill levels welcome) and different interests. With the different interests such as draft format, pokemon lore, competitive pokemon, spriting, and community building, we've been able to create something really special that values all its members and gives them influence in the direction of the mod and also maintaining a positive community space.

Competitive Overview:
Many things are completely different in this format! As the meta is still developing every day, we're still exploring each tier as the new beasts are unleashed within them. We've been throwing pokemon in OU, UU, and RU tiers based on their general abilities but plan on starting a competitive ranked season once all the buffs are done so that we could develop more usage based tiers and start ironing out and balancing the metagame.
To showcase some of the new stuff, I'm going to post a few of the new custom pokemon that we have implemented. The new pokemon come in all shapes and sizes. This includes evolutions, megas, regionals, deltas, armored pokemon, pre-evos, primals, custom created pokemon, and even beta pokemon previously scrapped! Below are just a few of the 40+ pokemon we've implemented thus far.

sledgesparce.png

Sledgesparce
Normal / Ground
Mold Breaker / Rock Head / Sand Force
120 / 120 / 110 / 80 / 80 / 30

With Mold Breaker, reliable recovery, excellent stats, and access to both Stealth Rock and Glare, Sledgesparce is a popular choice as a lead and physical wall that boasts remarkable longevity and decent offensive presence even without investment. One of the bulkiest pokemon around, it is a high tier staple and very commonly seen. Not only this, some people have had fun running Rock Head sets using Double-Edge for high powered stab.

Armored_Vespiquen.png

Vespiquen-Armored (Required item: Vespiquen Armor)
Bug / Psychic
Royal Guard: Loyal Combee rush to help this pokemon when in danger. When below half HP, this pokemon deals 1.5x damage and takes 0.75x damage.
76 / 70 / 112 / 125 / 142 / 20

With remarkable bulk both on the physical and special side, Vespiquen-Armored has many tools in its toolbox that help it act as an offensive, defensive, or support centerpiece on various mid-tier teams. It's Vespiquen Armor grants it amplified intelligence and psychic powers, allowing it to use Calm Mind or Trick Room to put itself in a favorable position. It also is a popular choice as a Toxic Spikes user, as it is able to set Toxic Spikes reliably while discouraging most absorbers from switching in.

clefgar front.png

Clefgar
Fairy / Poison
Cursed Body / Magic Guard
78 / 67 / 67 / 113 / 82 / 85

A fusion of Clefable and Gengar, Clefgar contains attributes of both that give it access to a wide variety of options and a fun status as a Jack-of-all-Trades pokemon. Boasting access to every move that both Gengar and Clefable has, switching in almost any pokemon could be a nightmare as it may be hard to tell just what it is running. Clefgar shines in a draft environment, where it could be specifically crafted to take on specific threats.

Parasect1.png

Parasect-FnF
Normal / Bug
Comatose / Overcoat / Unaware
120 / 95 / 85 / 60 / 85 / 10

Now freed from the parasite that once plagued it, Parasect is free to spend its days sleeping peacefully as the Bed Bug pokemon. In fact, it often does so in battle! Comatose and Unaware give Parasect-FnF great methods in beating defensively and offensively oriented teams, respectively, and aid it in either setting up its own boosts, passing wishes, or sleeping peacefully while the opponent fails to break through.

How to Play:
FnF Showdown is available at the following link:
https://fnf-showdown-client.herokuapp.com/

The community, including all discussion, can be accessed in our Discord server. This is the best way to find matches as people usually first challenge each other on discord and then log into the server to battle, rather than challenging each other on the server first.

All other information could be found in the Google Sheets linked above. Thanks for reading and if you're interested I'd love to have new people come in and help develop the meta and share any thoughts about what we've done so far. :)

We’re going a step beyond reserving Solomod slots for future Pet Mod ideas. I’m gonna reserve a Solomod slot for a future OM idea. still a pet mod lol, just a weirder one

It’s with great honor that I present:

:bw/suicune:
Tera Crystal
Summary: This depends on how Terastalizing’s gonna work in SV, but essentially this would bring Terastalizing into a Gen 2 OU format. The Tera Blast the Pokémon gets will be automatically physical if used on a physical type and special if used in a special type. This allows mons with types that don’t mesh well with their stats and moves to better utilize their stats. For example, Sneasel, which has a more notable physical stat than special, but with two special stats, can terastalize into a Normal type to more effectively utilize Slash. Or you could use something like a Ghost Tera type on Gengar to give it a boosted STAB Ghost move and have it shed its Poison typing.

Honestly there’s not much else to add here, it’s a pretty straightforward idea, but I’d be open to opinions on it.

Last edited:
First time doing this, so I guess we’ll see how it goes. And now, introducing

Quintessence
:ss/hydreigon:
Spreadsheet

Concept:
So, the idea with this mod was that I took a bunch of ideas I’d had in the past for fakemon and attempted to make them competitively viable in a micrometa, while staying as close to their original flavor as possible. This led to some… questionable design choices for the sake of balance, such as the Fairy/Steel without access to Moonblast or Iron Head, as well as some equally questionable but much more problematic ones, like the 110 Attack 100 Speed Bolt Beak mon (this is quickbanned). Overall, I think there’s some really interesting concepts in here and I look forward to testing them out with you all!
Sidenote: I am looking for someone who’s willing to code this. If you’re interested, contact me here or on Discord.

Competitive:
Now, let’s look at the details. Like I said up above, this mod has a competitive focus, so I will be keeping up to date with balance changes and the like as the meta progresses. Anyway, Quintessence is a NatDex-based micrometa containing solely fakemon, with some changed moves/abilities as well as a good number of entirely new custom moves, abilities, and items. Nothing here is particularly difficult to understand for a regular mons player, and all core mechanics are untouched. However, it should be noted that full movepools are currently incomplete, and many Pokemon only have a basic ‘working movepool’. I’ll keep updating these over time and ideally that will make the meta slightly more interesting, as mons slowly gain access to new tools.
While the goal was to have every mon be viable in one meta, there are some clear outliers that are a cut above the rest. So much so, in fact, that these are likely banworthy, though I’ve elected to keep them legal for now until the meta develops more. To make things a bit easier for new players, though, I thought I’d discuss some of them here.

Emulomb @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Brave Bird
- Blaze Kick
- U-turn

Emulomb @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Bolt Beak
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Emulomb @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
One of the few mons to have a complete movepool currently, Emulomb is extremely versatile, being simultaneously a very threatening offensive mon and a potent defensive tool. Bolt Beak is the main culprit, as its relatively average offensive profile is propped up tremendously by having the best wallbreaking tool you could ask for. Band is scary at first glance but extremely prediction-reliant (and fails entirely against mons like PhysDef Pythamp), though this is somewhat eased by U-Turn. Bulk Up is very dangerous against slower teams, as Emulomb’s solid natural bulk makes it a huge pain to answer without sacrificing a couple mons in the process. Meanwhile, you can ignore the offensive part entirely and just use it as a defensive utility mon, as the usefulness of an Electric/Flying with good physical bulk and recovery cannot be overstated.

Avellegander-Alpha @ Essence Infuser
Ability: Bladed Tail
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Tail
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake
What happens when you take a Water/Steel, give it good bulk, 160 Attack and 105 Speed, 112 and 125 BP STABs respectively, and SD? Well, you get this monstrosity. A lot of the Alphas are on the stronger side, but I don’t think taking the mega slot quite balances this one. Sure, its STABs are walled by bulky Waters, but anything it can’t handle with those it’ll take out with a +2 Earthquake (which Nucleursa, the only Unaware mon, also happens to be weak to). Its bulk is good enough that KOing it can be extremely difficult, and its speed is good enough to put it above most of the opponent’s team, making it overall very, very hard to slow down.

Bonedent-Alpha @ Essence Infuser
Ability: Hivemind
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Return
- Knock Off
Bonedent is not good. Neither is its Alpha. Usually. You see, because of how Hivemind works you essentially get a free Choice Band boost on turn 1. And uh, on a mon with 140 Attack and Swords Dance, that can get pretty oppressive pretty fast. Luckily, this thing hard loses to basically every Steel in the meta, and those are guaranteed to be healthy on their first turn out, so hopefully it can be kept in check by those.

Virupt @ Chill Drive
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Techno Blast
- Dark Pulse
So uh, Electric Surge Thunderbolt + Chill Drive Techno Blast makes for one of the most ridiculous boltbeam combos ever. Honestly, this is one of the easier fixes, since shuffling around its stats a bit will solve this problem entirely if it ends up being too much.

Omnidrake @ Life Orb
Ability: Neuroforce
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot / Fire Fang / Roost
This thing is ridiculous. Like, there is no saving it. Its flavor was very specific and I did the best I could to balance it around that flavor, but there’s really only so much that could be done. Dragon Dance is the real problem set, but Band and even bulky special attacking variants are also extremely good. The standard set shown above is walled only by Telepler and Buzsard, which are some very shaky checks considering they gets set up on and blown apart unless they tech options to take Omnidrake down quickly, or they just die outright to Fire Fang (though this ends up losing to Sirene). This mon has everything it needs to beat every mon there is, but overall its only saving grace is that it can’t quite fit everything on one set. Not like it needs to, though. It‘s still extremely threatening anyway.

Ravian-Sunrise @ Sun God’s Eye
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Kindle
- Flare Blitz
- Play Rough
- Solar Beam
If you could just play this with no restriction, it would without a doubt be far too much to handle. However, this thing’s fairness really ends up coming down to how restrictive its drawback really is. Being forced to run 3 Fire types on a team sucks, but Embeetle and Ramatum aren’t exactly bad mons, and they sort of almost cover each other’s weaknesses (though everything dies to Rocks). Overall one of the mons I’m most interested in seeing tested.
Of course, these aren’t even close to every viable option, and I’m stoked to see what all pops up as powerful offensive tools or unbreakable defensive titans.

However, I do still need someone to code this. And I know customs can be pretty scary to many coders, particularly ones that haven’t been done before in any capacity. So, to sweeten the deal a bit (I am desperate), I put together some notes to hopefully help out any prospective coders.
Every custom and how to code them maybe (from the perspective of a non-coder who understands coding relatively well).

Moves:
Firecracker/Grating Shriek/Guillotine/Kindle/Mindjack/Night Hammer/Rock Throw/Rough Embrace/Spearmint/Take Heart: No problems here.
Frosty Fists: I don’t think this is too bad, but I just wanted to mention that it checks accuracy in the same way Triple Axel does.
Petrifying Gaze: I know carrying Flinch between turns is a little weird, but some lingering ’status’ similar to Yawn or Taunt should do the trick, right?
Piercing Quills: Shouldn’t be too bad seeing as how it’s just a cut down Mold Breaker effect.
Reconstruct: You can just fully rip this from Joltemons, though if you know how to make it work as intended, be my guest.
Singularity: Torment does something similar, so you could possibly pull from that.

Abilities:
Deadeye/Essence Drain/Evil Eye/Infect/Intrusive Voice/Iron Fist/Landslide/Outlandish/Overcharge/Plant Force/Progenitor/Pure Flame/Radiation/Serene Grace/Soul Vault/Weapons Master: No problems here.
All-Terrain: Mimicry does something similar for the type change. As for the terrain setting bit, I assume you could just pull from other abilities that interact with items (e.g. Ripen).
Bladed Tail: I’ve included a ‘Tail moves’ list on the sheet so this should be no problem.
Concussion: You can directly copy this from FEUU or Joltemons.
Displacement: No clue. The component parts of the ability don’t seem that hard to code though, so I assume putting them together wouldn’t be too bad.
Drunken Brawler: Berserk Gene also does this basically sorta.
Embalm: Check out Teaching Tech from FEUU.
Hivemind/Sublimate: Heal Bell must do a check to see if each party member is statused. Surely you’d be able to alter that to check if they’re fainted instead?
Omnipotence: I don’t know if coding this would be difficult, but since the only mon with it is banned I don’t mind if you just leave it as a placeholder.
Scavenge: Similar to Reconstruct, you can just copy this from Jolte. If you know how to make it Soul-Heart activation though, please do that.
Undying: Uhhhhhhhh Sturdy.

Items:
Essence Infuser: FELT has tied the same mega stone to multiple megas before. I’d check there if you’re having any trouble.
Martial Items: I assume you’d just tie these to the ability.
Sun God’s Eye: Hivemind 2.0. Can’t really help you, hopefully it doesn’t end up being too difficult.
Thank you in advance if you‘re willing to help out, and I hope y’all enjoy!

R8

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Viability Ranking
Hello, we recently updated the VR and i figured i would give some explanations about some of these mons - keep in mind i am not speaking on the behalf of the council though, this is just my pov on the metagame rn.

:ss/tapu koko:
S -> S
In my eyes, Tapu Koko easily cemented itself as one of the best Pokemon in the metagame. Thanks to the combination of Nature Madness, physical Dazzling Gleam and Volt Switch - though options like U-Turn and Thunder Wave are sometimes seen too - complemented by a high crit rate, it is able to force progress against pretty much any team. Nature Madness just chips everything for free, Dazzling Gleam is only resisted by Steels which can be just volted on, except Excadrill - which is a terrible Pokemon right now, as it is a momentum drain against pretty much ground immunity/resist, on top of being too slow and preyed on by dangerous wallbreakers such as Victini and Garchomp - or the very uncommon Steelix. I don't feel like calling it broken yet - as, despite its incredible wallbreakings capabilities, still feels quite manageable in practice - but this is certainly a Pokemon to keep an eye on.

:ss/sandaconda:
UR -> B+
Very underexplored Pokemon until recently (s/o juoean), Sandaconda has all the tools it needs to thrive in this metagame. It counterbalances its poor speed thanks to its very good bulk and typing, allowing it to threaten top threats, such as Zeraoara, Tapu Koko, non Magnet Rise Magearna, and also the everpresent Melmetal. Its access to Stone Edge and Drill Run - both being high-crit moves, so virtually a 195 BP rock move complementing its 156 BP Ground stab move - and the obnoxious Glare makes it very annoying to switch into, and even has access to Hurricane to nuke Virizion - which rose in response to Garchomp's lack of defensive counterplay - and also fo the occasional parafusion fishing. All these traits also make Sandaconda an excellent lead, as it is able to use its bulk Glare lot of things 1v1, and also is able to beat the currently most common lead in Zeraora. I personally expect this Pokemon to rise even further in the future, as its defensive and offensive utility is just huge against the most popular picks.

:ss/latias:
A -> A+
This rise might be a bit controversial, as Latias is not as good at making progress than the other top threats, but in my opinion the utility it currently brings to its teams warranted a rise, as some metagame trends goes in its favor. Garchomp remains one of the dominant forces of the metagame, and its natural that its checks and counters rise in an attempt to neuter its wallbreakings capabilities. It is true that Latias has to wary of crit Draco Meteor, crit Earthquake or the uncommon Bulldoze, but it still is one of the most consistent switch ins the metagame has to offer to it, maybe second to Virizion - which also rose in response to Garchomp. Latias also plays an interesting role in the lead metagame, as it is able to beat two importants leads in Zeraoa and Sandaconda thanks to its access to Psycho Shift, or more generally punish their attempt to spread paralysis over the course of the game. This Pokemon of course still has important issues, as it wishes it had the slots to fit moves such as Baton Pass and Thunder Wave more easily, and does not appreciate Yveltal running around - however i believe it still is an important enough part of the metagame to be ranked A+ (on the lower end of the rank).

Minor mentions:
:garchomp:

A+ -> A+
While i was thinking about voting S- for the Landshark, i decided to vote it to keep its current ranking. While it is one of the most threatening wallbreakers around, it still is annoyed by the usage of Latias and Virizion, is still outsped by a decent portion of the tier, isnt that good as a Melm check (as Melm can trade hits with it, EQ only doing 43-50) and is a Ground type weak to Fairy, which hurts its matchup against Koko and Magearna.

:blastoise:
B+ -> B
(it actually was voted to be B but Copen forgot to put it in B lol)
A Pokemon originally thought to be potentially broken finally did not manage to make an actual impact on the metagame. Sure, it is incredibly threatening still, but so far it struggled to have success at the moment - maybe because we did not figure out what is good with it yet? It also struggles against the aformentionned Latias and Virizion - which could suggest Garchomp + Blastoise could be an idea of a core.

Last edited:

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Small announcement, and a rather sad one (depending on if you like me or not lol)

With me leaving Pet Mods (and most likely Smogon) soon, I'd like to retire ADV Now, since I see no purpose on keeping a mod around, which is only played by one person, who isn't going to active play it.

Furthermore, coding Solomods and the creation of Roovnen is cancelled. I'd like to apologise for making empty promises (yet again). I guess I thought too big about getting these solomds coded.

R8

National Dex Leader
MG3 will be retired until MG2 reaches a satisfying level of development. Contact me if you want to take over it (for the access to the discord and get the paste of the old post)

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Name of Mod: Kaen's Dex
Mascot: :luvdisc: Luvdisc
Link to Changes: Google Sheet
Summary of the Mod: The Fakemons I made now with stats, movepool and everything else.
With over 160 new monsters, moves and abilities, it is pretty much its own generation, all the fully evolved Fakemons are made with the idea of being at least viable and the only banned one is the cover legendary at the end of the list. You can also go and use some of the classic official Pokémons that are receiving an evolution, Hypno, Luvdisc, Shuckle and Arbok for the eviolite experience.
Playable on Dragon Heaven.

Last edited:
What's New with MG2?​

This is going to be a pretty long post about the current state of Modern Gen 2. With our first MG2 exclusive tournament coming up, which you can sign up for here, it felt like a good idea to update players who might not be familiar with the tier on "What's New with MG2?" (trademark pending). It has also been exactly a month since our first official Viability Ranking was released and the meta has shifted, so this will give my unofficial thoughts on the current state of the meta. Consider this a deep dive into the contemporary state of MG2.

Usage Statistics
This contains the usage statistics of the Top 30 Pokemon used in MG2, as well as their winrates. Something to note that isn't apparent in these statistics is that Mega Evolutions are not recorded, so although Slowbro Galar has been used, it has only been used as Mega Evolution, This makes it somewhat difficult to differentiate as Mega Alakazam has been used, but so has regular Alakazam. This also applies for Mega and regular form Diancie. This contains the total usage statistics for all of MG2, so some Pokemon have been banned. As of this list, only Volcarona, Tapu Koko, Mega Alakazam, and Magearna have been banned (although they will all be retested after the release of Generation 9).

MG2 OU

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| 1    | Mew                |   78 |  37.86% |  49.36% |
| 2    | Dragapult          |   70 |  33.98% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Heatran            |   60 |  29.13% |  49.17% |
| 4    | Volcarona          |   54 |  26.21% |  45.37% |
| 5    | Landorus-Therian   |   51 |  24.76% |  38.24% |
| 6    | Tapu Koko          |   50 |  24.27% |  54.00% |
| 7    | Toxapex            |   43 |  20.87% |  47.67% |
| 8    | Skarmory           |   38 |  18.45% |  47.37% |
| 9    | Blacephalon        |   37 |  17.96% |  43.24% |
| 10   | Melmetal           |   36 |  17.48% |  52.78% |
| 11   | Snorlax            |   34 |  16.50% |  41.18% |
| 12   | Latias             |   32 |  15.53% |  40.62% |
| 13   | Regieleki          |   31 |  15.05% |  24.19% |
| 14   | Starmie            |   29 |  14.08% |  72.41% |
| 15   | Alakazam           |   27 |  13.11% |  33.33% |
| 16   | Tyranitar          |   25 |  12.14% |  54.00% |
| 16   | Greninja           |   25 |  12.14% |  40.00% |
| 18   | Latios             |   23 |  11.17% |  56.52% |
| 18   | Gastrodon          |   23 |  11.17% |  52.17% |
| 20   | Blissey            |   21 |  10.19% |  76.19% |
| 21   | Zeraora            |   20 |   9.71% |  42.50% |
| 22   | Terrakion          |   16 |   7.77% |  53.12% |
| 23   | Diancie            |   15 |   7.28% |  73.33% |
| 23   | Garchomp           |   15 |   7.28% |  33.33% |
| 25   | Aerodactyl         |   14 |   6.80% |  64.29% |
| 26   | Slowbro-Galar      |   13 |   6.31% |  53.85% |
| 26   | Magearna           |   13 |   6.31% |  53.85% |
| 28   | Excadrill          |   12 |   5.83% |  66.67% |
| 28   | Kommo-o            |   12 |   5.83% |  29.17% |
| 30   | Hoopa              |   11 |   5.34% |  63.64% |
| 30   | Genesect           |   11 |   5.34% |  54.55% |
| 30   | Ferrothorn         |   11 |   5.34% |  45.45% |

General Turn Length Statistics
The average turn length for an MG2 game is 35 turns per game.
The median turn length for an MG2 game is 29.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 4.24.13 PM.png

This chart details the frequency of the number of games that fall within a certain number of turns. The most common range are games that last 20-24 turns. That being said, these statistics also occur from the entirety of MG2, so included in this list are games with Mega Alakazam and Volcarona, Pokemon that tend to end games quickly, and therefore the current state of the meta facilitates games that are longer. Many of the games that lasted under 20 turns happened near the beginning of the MG2 meta. There's plenty that can be inferred about these statistics, but all I really take away from it is that both offensive and defensive teams can be very viable.

:aerodactyl: Leads :aerodactyl:
Unlike in generations 5-8, MG2 doesn't have team preview, meaning every game you have a designated lead Pokemon. This brief subsection will discuss just some of the popular leads in MG2. MG2 also features a weaker version of Taunt, which only lasts for two turns, meaning two Pokemon using taunt will find themselves in a series of 50/50 mindgames where attacking might be more beneficial than clicking a status move against a faster taunt.

:mew: By far the most common lead with 22% lead usage, over twice the popularity of the #2 lead, and existence on both offensive and defensive teams, Mew has been incredibly popular. Sets all include at least one form of hazards, although it has access to all three (stealth rocks, spikes, and toxic spikes), it also uses Will-o-Wisp, U-Turn, Explosion, Misty Explosion (to hit Dragapult and other ghosts), Knock Off, Taunt, and Softboiled.

:Dragapult: The second most common lead is Dragapult, used mainly for its near guaranteed chance to 2HKO non-leftovers Mew, U-Turn out of negative matchups, and Wisp any threatening physical attacking counter-leads.
Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. Mew: 199-234 (49.3 - 58%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. Mew: 199-234 (49.3 - 58%) -- 61.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:Greninja: Another common lead, almost exclusively found on offense, Greninja has access to a very fast taunt, a positive matchup vs both Dragapult and Mew, as well as access to spikes, toxic spikes, and U-Turn.

:Aerodactyl: Like Greninja, it has one of the fastest taunts in the game, and access to Rock Tomb, slowing down opposing Pokemon in the rare instance it is outsped, allowing it to have the faster taunt after the previous taunt expires.

There are a total of 37 leads across all MG2 games so I will not be discussing all of them, but these are some of the most common leads to consider when teambuilding.

:blacephalon: Building Offense :blacephalon:
The first question you want to ask is what kind of offense you want, whether it is general offense, webs, or screens. Screens are relatively unexplored in the meta, despite the absence of defog making them virtually impossible to remove early. Webs are also a viable option, and as Choice Scarf does not work, Pokemon like Melmetal and Blacephalon can be terrifying with webs.

When building offense you also want to determine what lead you want. This can be answered based on the kind of offense you're building, but it doesn't have to. Webs teams will want to have a sticky web lead, but screens do not mandate a screen lead, although it might be beneficial. Suicide leads are easy to deal with, something like Aerodactyl is a fine choice for it, as it practically guarantees stealth rocks. Strong offensive Pokemon that can prevent multiple hazards from being set up by your opponent is also useful against bulkier teams that are trying to draw out the game. Terrakion is an excellent hybrid choice that can tear apart bulkier teams, while also setting stealth rocks.

A final question to consider is how important hazards (if you have any) are to your team. If you're running a sticky webs team, bringing a ghost type to block rapid spin is a must. I consider Blacephalon a near requirement on offensive teams. Not only does it block rapid spin, but it has access to explosion. To offense, explosion is going to be your most important weapon for breaking through defensive teams. In early generations, MG2 included, explosion halves the defense of the opposing Pokemon, essentially making explosion a 500 base power move. Blacephalon in particular, with its high 127 Base Attack will kill near anything with its explosion, outside of ghosts and steel types which both of your STABs will demolish.

:Dragapult: Building Balance :Dragapult:
I think balance is somewhat tricky to build in MG2 just because the number of offensive threats that exist, and they can be outstalled by fatter teams if not built right. Hazards on balance are practically a necessity, it makes it very difficult to make progress without them. Spinblocking isn't as necessary on balance as it would be on stall teams, but it would still be encouraged. It doesn't have to be a terribly bulky ghost, something like Blacephalon or Dragapult would still work, but you might not get the durability you desire out of them.

Another subfield of teambuilding that is a blend of offense and balance is Superman. A teambuilding concept that used to be very popular in ADV OU, the idea behind a superman team is making hazards completely non-existent to your team. Although made easier with abilities like levitate and the absence of stealth rock, superman in ADV consisted of 4 or more flying/levitating Pokemon that could completely ignore spikes. Hazards play a centralizing role in every generation that they exist in, so while your opponent is focusing on keeping up hazards, you can make progress without them. Like in ADV, Superman teams consist of multiple flying type pokemon (although we don't have levitate) who bring heavy duty boots to ignore both spikes and stealth rocks (heavy duty boots in MG2 only ignore stealth rocks, not spikes). The benefit to Superman in MG2 is that we have a near indestructible Air Balloon, meaning something like Melmetal which resists stealth rocks can also be immune to spikes and ground type attacks, a valuable asset on a Superman team.

:Blissey: Building Fat :Blissey:

Probably the least important aspect of building fatter teams are your leads. While you do want to get your hazards up early, odds are that the opposing lead will be faster and capable of taunting your lead, so making sure you don't fall behind is paramount. That being said, hazards are still a necessity when building fat, as it is the main way you will be making any form of progress. Likewise, having a spinner on your team is also near mandatory, you cannot realistically make progress if you are taking more damage from hazards than your opponent. It is also important to have a good ghost type to block opposing rapid spin. Although still usable, something like Blacephalon is typically too frail to last very long, and it doesn't have a great matchup against the most common spinners being Starmie and Excadrill. Bulkier ghosts like Jellicent, Dusknoir, Dragapult, and even Dhelmise all have a place on fatter teams (I have a strong pro-dhelmise bias).

Other near-mandatory elements of building fatter teams are having at least one user of whirlwind/roar, or explosion if necessary. There's no unaware Pokemon to ignore status boosts yourself, so clearing out status boosting Pokemon is very important, status clearing moves like clear smog and haze also work, but don't get the benefit of forcing out the opposing Pokemon. Building fat seems much more formulaic than building offensive teams, but that doesn't mean it takes away from creativity. Any combination of Pokemon can work so long as they have answers to all the threats in the meta, and role compression is very important. One reason that I love Dhelmise is that it is a great ghost type that can spinblock, but it also has access to rapid spin, and with its good bulk and strong ghost STAB, opposing ghost spinblockers don't want to switch into it. This role compression lets me bring a more offensive Pokemon like Latias which can help me sweep late game.

Being the best council member, I was the only one to actually do subtiers for my original VR ranks, but these were discarded and put under broader terms. Below is the original VR Ranking, and the followup will be my personal (and updated) VR Ranking. One disclaimer is that the mega form is included in a viability ranking, so while Tyranitar is listed, its access to Mega Tyranitar is also considered in its ranking.
S
:melmetal:
A
:blacephalon: :dragapult: :ferrothorn: :heatran: :latias: :latios: :mew: :snorlax: :terrakion: :toxapex: :starmie:
B
:alakazam: :blissey: :diancie: :excadrill: :garchomp: :gastrodon: :genesect: :greninja: :jirachi: :kyurem: :landorus-therian: :regieleki: :skarmory: :suicune: :talonflame: :tyranitar: :victini: :zapdos: :zeraora:
C
:aegislash: :azelf: :coalossal: :dusknoir: :froslass: :gengar: :gliscor: :gourgeist: :forretress: :hippowdon: :hoopa: :hoopa-unbound: :infernape: :kartana: :keldeo: :landorus: :magnezone: :manaphy: :metagross: :milotic: :nidoking: :palossand: :primarina: :ribombee: :roserade: :salamence: :stakataka: :tapu fini: :zygarde-10%:

My Personal VR

S1
:latias: :melmetal:

I think considered undisputedly the two best Pokemon in the tier, Latias is incredibly bulky and still has power to rip through teams with calm mind variants. Its only weakness is the classic four move slot syndrome.

Melmetal is the second best, and also the best Latias check which can ill afford to run coverage for it. Melmetal is potent with its rest talk sets, access to self-destruct, and thunder wave to paraflinch with its 120 STAB move.

S2
:dragapult: :mew:

Dragapult has very little that wants to switch into it, and even receives a slight buff with ghost becoming physical in this generation as it has a slightly higher attack, making it the most fearsome mixed attacker in the tier.

Mew is not only an excellent lead, but can also be incredibly difficult to kill with softboiled and Will-o-Wisp to deal with physical attackers. It also has the best movepool in the game and can run plenty of sets to catch your opponents off guard.

A1
:Blacephalon: :Latios: :Terrakion:
All incredibly threatening attackers, no real reason to use Latios over Latias in my opinion, unless you are running double Lati.

A2
:heatran: :toxapex: :starmie: :excadrill: :blissey:
The two best spinners in the tier, as well as three of the best walls in the game with Heatran, Toxapex, and Blissey, these are incredibly hard to deal with.

B1
:snorlax: :ferrothorn: :lucario: :gastrodon: :greninja: :skarmory:
Gastrodon is one of the best melmetal checks (ironically, Air Balloon melmetal is probably the best), while Ferrothorn and Skarmory are great walls. Snorlax can be threatening with its curse sets, and I consider greninja to be one of the best leads in the game.

B2
:garchomp: :genesect: :landorus-therian: :suicune: :tyranitar: :victini: :zapdos: :zeraora: :gengar: :dhelmise: :raikou:
Garchomp is underutilized and still terrifying, especially with access to its mega. Landorus-T is certainly on the decline and doesn't feel bulky enough to fit on fatter teams especially without intimidate. I consider suicune and tyranitar to be slightly overrated, but they are still decent. Genesect is decent with shift gear and boom. Victini can provide decent bust, and zapdos, raikou, and zeraora are all decent electric types. Dhelmise discourages any ghosts from spinblocking and can spinblock decently. Gengar is really only viable with nasty plot as a mega in which it is decent, but it's nothing that great.

C1
Not gonna go through the C tier because there's too many and I don't want to + they're mid
:regieleki: :talonflame: :azelf: :metagross: :zygarde-10%:

C2
:aegislash: :dusknoir: :froslass: :gliscor: :forretress: :hippowdon: :hoopa: :hoopa-unbound: :infernape: :kartana: :landorus: :magnezone: :manaphy: :milotic: :nidoking: :palossand: :primarina: :ribombee: :roserade: :salamence: :tapu fini::diancie: :kyurem: :jirachi:

UR:
:alakazam::coalossal::keldeo::stakataka::gourgeist:

Zam is banned now, Volc is banned so Coalossal has no niche, Keldeo, Stakataka, and Gourgeist are all just bad.

If you haven't already, consider joining the MG2 discord server which can be found on the thread linked in the introduction, and let me know what you think. God bless dhelmise supremacy

Last edited:

R8

National Dex Leader
:ninjask: :melmetal: :dragapult:
Viability rankings
MG1 Viability ranking update!
Rises:
Magearna A+ => S
Latios A- => A
Sandaconda B+ => A
Blastoise B => B+
Corviknight B => B+
Starmie B- => A
Kartana C => B
Gliscor UR => B
Keldeo UR => C

Drops:
Melmetal S => A+
Latias A+ => B+
Yveltal A => B
Zeraora A => A-
Terrakion B+ => B
Tyranitar B+ => B
Golisopod B+ => B
Rhyperior B+ => B
Alakazam B => C
Blacephalon B- => C
Excadrill B- => UR
Greninja B- => UR
Celesteela C => UR
Diancie C => UR
Durant C => UR
Falinks C => UR
Hippowdon C => UR
Huntail C => UR
Milotic C => UR
Primarina C => UR
Salamence C => UR
Stunfisk C => UR
Turtunator C => UR
Zapdos C => UR

Some quick explanations (my point of view on it, not speaking on the behalf of the council):
:magearna: A+ => S
Magearna pretty clearly one of the best pokemon of the tier, as it not only is a great win condition with its access to Shift Gear + Fleur Cannon (which is physical) with a quite limited number of answers, but also is a great glue in virtue to its defensive typing, as it is one of the sturdiest switch ins to Lati twins, and access to utility options that are getting more and more use, such as Pain Split, Volt Switch, Thunder Wave and most importantly Heal Bell, which is getting significant exploration as of late. Rest with Heal Bell support from a teammate also saw some use, and seems to be quite good!

:sandaconda: B+ => A
Carving its niche for the reasons i mentioned in my previous mg1 post, the snake stood out the test of time, and proved its top tier status in the recent mg1 seasonal. It also had a quite significant impact on the metagame, as you can see if you read some of the drops reasonings.

:starmie: B- => A
Being hard to switch into on top of being an excellent Garchomp revenge killer is a great trait in the current meta. In a metagame lacking water resists, STAB Flip turn can also be really annoying for a lot of teams, even coming from a 60 BP move, and is completed by Blizzard to hit Lati twins (among other things), which are the most common water resists right now.

:Melmetal: S => A+
Melm dropped again, mostly because Sandaconda exists now and can punish it very hard, and that most of what it checks, like Magearna or Lati twins, can para it, and a parad melm cant accomplish one of its favorites hobbies, which is twave into paraflinching anything that isnt a ground type.

:latias: A+ => B+
Latias SUX!!!! People just eventually realized that Latios does pretty much what Latias was attempting to do until now - mostly checking Garchomp and weakening steels - while hitting harder, as the bulk difference between the two really doesnt matter most of the time - as defensive calcs are pretty much the same. Draco Meteor from Latias isnt even guaranteed to kill Garchomp, so Latios outclasses it at checking Garchomp too.

:zeraora: A => A-
Zeraora was a popular kid in the lead departement, until Sandaconda arrived and decided to ruin its fun. To add insult to the injury, one of the best Sandaconda counterleads - Psycho Shift Latios - also completely ruin the electric cat (cat? tiger? rat? idk) as it just eats about anything it throws at it and even punish twaves thanks to Psycho Shift. As an electric type pivot, it also suffer from the competition with Tapu Koko, which is much more reliable at making progress on top of not suffering from some mild 4MSS.

:excadrill: B- => UR
Drill's niche used to be clicking Drill Run and somewhat checking Latis, but it is pretty bad and outclassed at both, as ground immunes and Virizion shatters any dreams drill could have about making progress, while other offensives grounds (Sandaconda in particular) are just better mons overall that can do something against usual ground checks while not being Garchomp/Victini bait.

The bunch of new URs:
As the metagame progressed, it became easier to draw the line between viable and unviable stuff, as some of these mons were either entierely outclassed at what they are doing by something else, not worth using or relics of previous states of the metagame.

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Happy Halloween, everyone! Time for a fun little project.

Dance of the Dead
mortemoth.png
tumbleak.png
grievenge.png
baloonpopped.png
spirox.png
sheegal.png
flamepion.png
Notice how I didn't call it a "Solomod" in that last sentence. Reason for this is that this really shouldn't be treated like a full Solomod, or even much of a full meta of its own. This is a micrometa that has 15 legal Pokemon, and to celebrate the objective best time of year, these Pokemon are all Ghost-types. And I do mean Ghost-types - there's no customs here, nothing is changed from the base game, meaning everything's Ghost moves get the usual STAB boost as well as a 2x super effective boost on most Pokemon.

The point of this meta is not to be played as a normal game of Pokemon, but the goal here is to try and solve this meta. Whether we end up with an "optimal team of six" or a rock-paper-scissors chart of a few optimal team structures that auto-lose to others, the goal is for you all to solve this meta. I don't even know what the solution is myself, and I've tried pretty hard to balance this, but I'm sure I've slipped some things through the cracks.

Want an analysis of what I expect the meta to be? Too bad. All I'm going to say is that I built every Pokemon here with a specific role in mind - there's two dedicated Scarfers, three Normal-types to prevent people from outright spamming Ghost moves, two anti-meta breakers, and three catch-all emergency checks to anything that might be getting out of hand. The last three Pokemon were ones I built as the "big three," those being Grievenge, Baloon-Popped, and Spirox. They all have potentially invaluable roles in this meta, with Grievenge being part Dark-type and having Intimidate + Teleport, Baloon having by far the best stats, and Spirox having the most potential for versatility.

Otherwise, all I'll say on the meta is that Item Clause will be in play here. There's a few items I expect to possibly see too much usage if not, and I feel like it could encourage some more interesting teambuilding. Running no item on a Pokemon might even be possible since there were many Pokemon here specifically built with Poltergeist being their only good Ghost-type move, so you can completely stuff quite a few Pokemon out of their items.

I want you to discover the meta yourself though. Here's the mod's spreadsheet, although honestly you might not even want it because there's not any customs and you can just check the teambuilder. Otherwise, hope you all enjoy this! I'll be removing it from DH when it gets solved or when it loses activity. I'm looking forward to seeing what you may come up with!
Name of Mod: Dance of the Dead
Mascot (Optional): no
Link to Changes: click here!
Summary of the Mod: A micrometa with only Ghost-type Pokemon where the goal is to solve the meta rather than just play it regularly.

NDAG UPDATE
Solomod's Spreadsheet
BIG additions in the form of adding Terrastalization to the solomod concept!
There are now two rules in the metagame NDAG...
Moves not meant to exist (E.G. TM04) and moves that crash the game are banned
moves obtainable exclusively via glitch for pokemon are allowed (excluding moves banned by the crash clause)
Sorry to any individuals who (if any) started working on this as an actual coded mod
if this were an actual metagame, much more use for pokemon from earlier generations as they get more moves that weren't in their original moveset, but considering glitches that mimic pokemon in all but learned moves exist and Poke-transfer mumbo jumbo enables those moves on actual pokemon... And lets not forget the horror that is using Q to allow the move tutor to let a pokemon remember moves of another pokemon... But with this increase in early generation play, the more that newer generations can be just as good in battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)