So who here likes to garden?

What are you growing?

I tend to let weeds grow if there pretty, edible, or are good for local wildlife
My mom had a really huge garden, but Sense I've moved out the one i have is really small and am bubed about that. Besides what already there im growing lettuce and mustard greens

I have a small garden that we've used to grow peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes. The results were actually pretty good, the peppers and cucumbers were great.

My childhood babysitter and family friend also has a garden that we eat from sometimes. Things like peppers and sesame leaves are grown. Sesame leaves are really good and I recommend them to anyone who hasn't eaten them before, which I assume would be a good amount of people.

I'm going to build a vegetable patch! I always wanted to grow my own vegetables although the ones I wanted to grow are mostly out of season (potatoes and pumpkin). I might get a carrot patch going for now.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not a gardener, actually I don't even own my own place yet so it's not something I'd be doing for a while but the idea of gardening always intrigued me since green lawns are boring lawns. Just some general questions though:

1. Is there any practical reasons to maintain a strictly organized garden? I've always preferred a more chaotic, natural look to gardens and landscaping but for the most part people tend to keep things categorized. Would doing so be better for the overall growth and health of the plants or is that merely just an aesthetic choice?

2. I've always heard weeds are typically bad for the garden, but what are some weeds that do have a positive impact? For example you said some are good for the local wildlife, some have culinary application, etc.

3. Is it bad that I really like dandelions? I remember growing up the dandelions ended up sprouting spiky things on the stems and that made them very uncomfortable to lay down in :(

I have one garden box in my family's garden. It has a raspberry bush (That's like 6 that merged.) and a load of strawberries. They are doing really well this year and I'm finding ripe strawberries every day now, and there are load of raspberry flowers so I can't wait for those to grow.

We also have blackberry bushes growing along the fence for our horse arena (That thing people ride their horses in.) that is basically a giant litter box because we have no horses.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm not a gardener, actually I don't even own my own place yet so it's not something I'd be doing for a while but the idea of gardening always intrigued me since green lawns are boring lawns. Just some general questions though:

1. Is there any practical reasons to maintain a strictly organized garden? I've always preferred a more chaotic, natural look to gardens and landscaping but for the most part people tend to keep things categorized. Would doing so be better for the overall growth and health of the plants or is that merely just an aesthetic choice?
1. it might be more of an aesthetic choice, look up companion planting and food forests. people spend a lot of time finding a space to garden and then they want to maximize, so even the unorganized seeming looking gardens may still be 100% planned.

2. weeds are by definition not planned, they happen anyway. You can dig them out and compost them. as always it depends on the weed. the 'blackberry' problem, i.e, there be wild blackberries, they are delicious, they are taking over your garden. nettle tea. several weeds have edible flowers; and all nightshades are considered weeds (idk why)

I wish I had the land to do it. My backyard is too small and full. My aunt grows mangos, limes, bananas, and more. I always wanted at least my own mango tree.

I'm currently growing some herbs, cherry tomatoes, and peppers inside along with some flowers to attract bees for when I move them outside my window. I tried growing cherry tomatoes last year but didn't have much luck. So I think it was due to lack of bees.

I'm growing a bunch of plants right now, they all started inside but some I have moved outside in the meantime. My courgette and cherry tomato plants are outside, inside I have carrots, fennel, broccoli, paprika and some more plants. I also have a pickle plant I should move outside sometime soon. The weather in the netherlands is really unpredictable and last year I had all my plants outside die to on me except for two leeks so that's why I'm keeping them inside until they're big enough to move. Some plants just keep dying on me though, my radish and spinach plants for instance and I'm not sure why.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm growing some cooking herbs in pots right now (mint, lemon balm, thyme, oregano, chives, scallions) alongside a potted tomato plant. New house doesn't have any soil in the backyard, so I have to make do. Trying to grow a raspberry plant, but right now it looks like we speared a stick into a large barrel of dirt. :/

My grandparents have a huge garden with a nice greenhouse(?), so whenever I'm there I always like to mess around. Unfortunately I don't even have a garden myself, so it's not something I can do whenever I want.

I've started to begin a tiny garden including chives and oregano, I kinda also wanna grow rasberries out in front for the aesthetic :)

I wish I could garden :( I grew up in a huge drought and even green grass still seems unbelievably beautiful to me (especially because I lived somewhere with yellow grasses!)

I have major respect for people who garden, whether it's aesthetic or not, but especially for people who cultivate native plant species and who plant trees, even trees they'll never see reach maturity. One of the few decent things my father ever did was create a cultural research garden using native plants. My plant diversity lecturer from Biology 2 told us in the lab if we hadn't gone out and had the experience of growing something, we needed to do that, and I took it to heart very deeply; there's an intricate beauty to plant life and adaptation (which makes native plants especially cool imo) that I think would feel special to cultivate. There's a tree outside my old house that I'll never see grow to maturity but I worry about it being sick and stuff because as long as I believe it will reach maturity and help someone else, I'm happy

I'd love it if you guys posted pictures of your gardens :)

Reactions: fx

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bumping because, after 3 months, my garden is finally starting to bloom!

1)

2)

3)

4)

Family Portrait:

I'll update with more pictures whenever the rest of my plants decide to bloom. My psychiatrist says that it's a great achievement that I've managed to get my plants this far, so we'll see what happens next.

Edit: More Zinnia.

Last edited:

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't necessarily have a garden, but I love collecting plants, especially novelty and carnivorous ones! Currently right now I have a baby Venus Fly Trap, a pointsettia that I once tried to kill, and little cherry tomato seedlings. I'm hoping when I get a little bit more space and money to get a Pitcher plant or a sundew. I also want to dabble in the art of moss gardening as it seems both versatile yet wonderful.
Here are my spawn =) (sorry for shit photos i only have an iphone 4)

venus fly trap!!

pointsettia!!

tomato children!!!

I wish I had stability in my life right now to have an outdoors garden. So, I just compensate for it by having a small plant collection and a decent aquascape.

l to r: big air plant, phalaenopsis orchid, cryptocoryne fusca and moss mini terrarium, pingculinas, and other air plant

l to r: pingculina gigantea, 2 pings, other air plant, and an african violet

3.5g jarrium with tons of plants (cba listing them all), shrimps, and snails. It has been grown in a bit more.

If you're thinking about getting plants/garden, be sure to research all info. Plants are very difficult to kill if you take care of them properly. Green thumb is having knowledge and applying it.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've been known to garden on occasion but my garden doesn't look as great as it could. I might get into it next year once summer roles around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)