Smogon's Official Ladder Tournament VIII - Top 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader

(Art by ium)

Remember, all matches are to be played in a BEST OF THREE format, and all standard SS OU rules apply.

Top 16
MichaelderBeste2  vs  SoulWind
Ahsan-219  vs  Rubyblood
Empo  vs  Punny
Sagiri  vs  Misterioussaint
Bushtush  vs  Ox the Fox
devin  vs  Insult
Storm Zone  vs  Tricking
Lusa  vs  beatiful

Please, let us know in the thread when you will be playing once your games are scheduled, we would all very much like to spectate.

Deadline
Sunday, September 12th @ 11:59 PM EDT

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
MichaelderBeste2  vs  SoulWind - Closer than some may imagine as Michael is a fantastic up-and-comer, but SoulWind has been dominant for...well as long as anyone can remember at this point. His occasionally sloppy CG OU play seems to have been worked past, too, so he is one of the favorites in this and any other field. Tough draw for Michael as he continues to prove himself, but better days likely lie ahead.

Ahsan-219  vs  (winner of TDNT vs Rubyblood) - Rubyblood can be a little crazy, but his aggressive style can go a long way here. I am not as familiar with TDNT, who seems to be having a nice little run of his own, but Ruby has stood out vs some strong players. As for the Ahsan-219 match-up, this will be tight, but I think Ahsan is a little hit-or-miss with his teams. Sometimes he has crazy cool ideas that hit big and bring in solid wins, but other times it is off the mark. I think I have a little more faith in Ruby, but it can go either way.

Empo  vs  Punny - Impossible to predict against Empo given how amazing he has been. Punny is one of the few people I could see taking him out, but even then I would not bet on it. These two are both amazingly talented players with unique teambuilding footprints and fantastic in-game instincts, so it is unfortunate seeing them paired here. I expect this to be one of the best pairings in the tournament and I hope for a tightly contested 3 game set.

Sagiri  vs  Misterioussaint - Sagiri is one of the more underrated players in this field, especially coming off of a solid 2-1 in WCoP this year. Misterioussaint I am not as familiar with, but I think Sagiri has what it takes to make a deep run and maybe even be a dark horse to win it all if a few things go his way.

Bushtush  vs  Ox the Fox - Don't let Bush hear this, but he has been on a really impressive run across a wide array of metagames this year. His competency across them all impresses me, but I think he may be in over his head here. Ox has been one of the best SS OU players for most of this year now, having dominated ST qualification, WCoP, and now this OLT. He is a wrecking ball at this point and given how well he builds, it will be hard to prepare for him. I can see Bush outplaying here and there, but I do not give him enough favor in the game to make up the difference. I expect a close set that could go 3, but lean Ox.

devin  vs  Insult - Both are great, but for very different reasons. devin is a trailblazer in the builder, taking unique risks and coming up with novel structures to make his offensive choices work out. Insult is a generational battler, doing very well in most tournaments across a number of OU formats. Gotta go with Insult given his strength as a player, experience advantage, and network of friends to help him with teams, but devin could make it sneakily close.

Storm Zone  vs  Tricking - Holy moly this one will be a treat. Storm Zone is a crazy genius. He has his tendencies for sure, but no matter what he is using, there is always a creative flare and an inspiring concept behind it. Players like Storm Zone make games attractive for spectators and help push the metagame forward. On the flip side, Tricking has been doing this and so much more for years now while clawing his way up to being one of the five or so best players of all time. I expect this series to be filled with techs and the chat to be flooded with LOLs over a likely 3 gamer that has some rapid-fire playing, but Tricking will come on top ultimately as he is pretty close to unbeatable in OLT and in general. Storm Zone is one of the few people who I can see doing it, but I still struggle to favor him for the time being.

Lusa  vs  beatiful - Tough drawing for both as Lusa has been absolutely tearing it up recently in individuals whereas bea has been doing so in general for the last year or so. I expect beatiful to take it as I trust his building a little more, but I view both as similarly great players with good understanding of the metagame. Lusa tends to do well when he has a good defensive backbone that still allows for proactive play and I think beatiful can exploit these balanced tendencies, especially if he catches Lusa on a few doubles or predictions. beatiful is harder to prepare for, which will make it an uphill climb for Lusa I feel.

GL all, congrats on making it and have fun!

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MichaelderBeste2  vs  SoulWind
Ahsan-219  vs  (winner of TDNT vs Rubyblood)
Empo  vs  Punny
Bushtush  vs  Ox the Fox
devin
 vs  Insult
Storm Zone  vs  Tricking - it's a crime this is so early
Lusa  vs  beatiful

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Tricking will win this round as well since he can't leave his room because he's a no-vax and in Italy (superior nation) you get shot on sight if you don't get vaccinated. He's been streaming 7/8 hours ladder sessions for 2 weeks now. I wish good luck to his opponent because he'll need it.

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Basing this off of who made it out of Swiss first:
MichaelderBeste2  vs  SoulWind (they both passed from Round 4 but SoulWind is a veteran so hes gonna win this)
Ahsan-219  vs  Rubyblood (they both passed from Round 5 but i know who Rubyblood is so im rooting for them)
Empo  vs  Punny
Bushtush  vs  Ox the Fox
devin  vs  Insult
Storm Zone  vs  Tricking (ok im cheating here but Tricking and Empo were in the same swiss bracket R3, and even tho one of them lost, I still think Tricking can win due to performance history and other tours)
Lusa  vs  beatiful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)