Smogon's Official Ladder Tournament VI - Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader

(Art by ium)

Swiss is done, there's no more second chances now. Lose now and you're out. Good luck all of you who made it this far.

Remember, all matches are to be played in a BEST OF THREE format, and all standard SM OU rules apply.

Round of 16

Empo vs Tace (Replays: 1 | 2 | 3)
le LLiolae vs Twixtry (Replays: 1 | 2 | 3)
Kebab mlml vs Typhlosion48 (Replays: 1 | 2 | 3)
Updated Kanto vs Sacri' (Replays: 1 | 2 | 3)
Hayburner vs ABR (Replays: 1 | 2 | 3)
frisoeva vs Tricking (Replays: 1 | 2 | 3)
Dora vs Mob Barley (Replays: 1 | 2 | 3)
Liones vs Charmflash (Replays: 1 | 2 | 3)

Please, let us know in the thread when you will be playing once your games are scheduled, we would all very much like to spectate.

Deadline
Sunday, September 29th @ 11:59 PM EDT
Extension deadline: Tuesday, September 24th @ 11:59 PM EDT

The path each player took to get this far can be found http://spo.ink/olt6standings

Last edited:

talah

from the river to the sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Empo (60) vs (40) Tace - love tace and rooting for him but i do have to bold empo. tace's generally pretty predictable style vs empo's italian mafia prep & attitude puts empo at a decent advantage; i do think tace has more than enough in him to win this so this is the highlight of the round as far as im concerned.

le LLiolae (45) vs (55) Twixtry - neither player was very exciting before playoffs, but twix is a bit better overall imo. i'd wanna say he also has better support behind him but he hasn't really brought any new teams so take that as you will. lliolae had a few alright games and a few not so alright games but he seems to be more varied of a player so this is probably pretty close.

Kebab mlml (60) vs (40) Typhlosion48 - typhlosion had a pretty killer breakout, but kebab is another one with the pasta mob behind him. i wouldn't give a clear edge to either playing wise(maybe a slight one to kebab?) so i do think it'll come down to MU a lot.

Updated Kanto (43) vs (57) Sacri' - sacri is more versatile of a player and i do think he has better prep support. kanto has xtra behind him so you never know what he might bring, but dunno if it's going to be quite enough. i wanna say they're about equal as far as playing skill goes atm but kanto's highs are pretty great. hoping for a good one here.

Hayburner (40) vs (60) ABR - hay's not been playing that well lately but i wouldn't wanna quite write him off, since he's been getting better, slowly but surely. abr is abr. i'd wanna say this set will be closer than most ppl will think, since hay actually has quite good support behind him with leviathans & what not. 2nd highlight of the round.

e: nvm hay sucks 80-20 ABR

frisoeva (30) vs Woatli (70) - tricking just wins games, has the better prep, more experience and is generally the better player(click click). frisoeva hasn't been too exciting as far as i can recall but he's had a couple moments here and there. big advantage to tricking.

Dora (45) vs (55) Mob Barley - dora just came off a 2-0 vs ojama so he's probs gonna be better than i'd otherwise have thought. slight edge to mob because he has more experience and i think is better as a player.

(Mimolette vs Liones) (25) vs (75) Charmflash - i'd say this is the biggest difference of any of the sets; mimo is pretty decent & has some cool ideas but i find his builds pretty straightforward and 'same-y', which is someone charm would do very well against. liones is not very impressive from my perspective, and i'd say he's slightly worse than mimo. even if he won the set, which is definitely very possible, i'd give about the same edge to charmflash.

Last edited:
Empo vs Tace - highlight probably
le LLiolae vs Twixtry - the spirit of samqian is with twix
Kebab mlml vs Typhlosion48 - close call
Updated Kanto vs Sacri' - kanto has been on fire
Hayburner vs ABR - can you guys play lets go pikachu instead that would be sick
frisoeva vs Tricking - friso just went 0-2 into 3-0 so upset potential here
Dora vs Mob Barley - dora was quite impressive on recent sets
(Mimolette vs Liones) vs Charmflash - i fucking hate charmflash's playstyle if im honest but it works very well for him

Last edited:

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
Empo vs Tace - Yeah, large edge for empoor here, I think his skill ceiling is a lot higher than tace's and his team choices are overall better. I don't see Empo getting elimated here.

le LLiolae vs Twixtry - Mostly an even skill level , but this will make for an overall good series as both of them are pretty good

Kebab mlml vs Typhlosion48 - Kebab uses fun and unique offense mainly while typhlosion's team choices are very predictable in my opinion but he has been doing pretty well so far. Both of these guys have notoriously high timers throughout their games so this really can go either way if they decide to do something dumb. But I think with the right prep and without clicking anything dumb, kebab has a good chance to win.

Updated Kanto vs Sacri' - dang very slight advantage to sacri but both are good players and could for sure go either way. Sacri's and Kanto's team choices are cool in different ways, looking forward to this

Hayburner vs ABR - So far Hayburner has been using standard as fuck shit, but he has been playing pretty well. ABR has also done well so far and had some impressive games such as the one vs Chaitanya, however I feel like he will be able to abuse Hayburner's team picks to his advantage. Could go either way for sure, both of them have what it takes.

Frisoeva vs Tricking - Frisoeva hasn't been too impressive in my eyes, cheesing/reusing shit for the most part while on the other hand user WOATLI makes good team choices and plays good shown by his slaughterfests recently, i dont see him losing this at all.

Dora vs Mob Barley - Mob is favoured here because of his experience in situations such as this, and his skill level is a lot higher. While I do respect dora's unique team choices, I just think it's a hit or miss most of the time. on the other hand mob is no stranger to players such as Dora and I think he has this pretty well under his belt

Mimolette vs Liones) vs Charmflash - If I know something about Mimolette it is that his teams lack no mercy in terms of stall matchup. Liones has been using alot of Clef/Pex/Steela balance builds when he's not using Rain so I think Mimolette will crush him for the most part. I know Liones is a good builder so hopefully he brings something unique. Speaking of matchup fishing, we have Charmflash which I think will just crush both of these in a matchup fish given his success with it so far. Charmflash is most favoured here probably having a little higher skill ceiling than mimo/liones, don't think he'll get much further from this though. Mimo and Liones have good chances to both win as well if none of them get losing matchups right off the bat

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Empo vs Tace - Tace you're my man, but Empo is easily one of the top 5 active players right now and has been at a high level for a while. I made a mistake the last time I predicted against him, and I'm not gonna repeat it again. If anyone is gonna pull off an upset against empo, it will be tace between his access to great building support on his snake team and aggressive playstyle that can match empo turn for turn at his best.

le LLiolae vs Twixtry - I'm having a tough time getting a read on this one, considering their very similar levels of experience, but Twix has played more solid to lately imo and I've definitely liked his teams more on top of that, so I think I'll take him to win this game.

Kebab mlml vs Typhlosion48 - Neither has been turning heads so far this tournament outside of Typh's first swiss series, and I think both have brought teams of approximately equal quality, so I think it's fair to say that this is a toss up. Obviously both have had their fair share of missteps late in games, but I've liked the aggression that I've seen from typh more than kebab, and that's why I'm gonna give him a slight edge here.

Updated Kanto vs Sacri' - Kanto hasn't lost a SM OU game in 62 years somehow and Sacri seems to be slumping right now, so I think my pick for this set is just gonna be a case of the hot player catches the more consistent one while he's on a cold streak. Sacri's obviously very good and could take this, I just really feel like Kanto is playing akin to some of his games during that amazing SPL 9 run and don't wanna get burned picking against him right now.

Hayburner vs ABR - The bold would go the other way if this was in LGPE, but unfortunately they're playing dogshit SM OU instead. I'm a lot higher on Hay than most people are, but it's kind of impossible to favor him against ABR with how the two are performing right now. Hay definitely has the willingness to go outside the box in the teambuilder as well as the ability to play big time games in high pressure settings (see WCOP 2018), so he can pull out the upset here, but there's just no reason to pick against ABR against anyone right now.

frisoeva vs Tricking - Tricking is Tricking, but then again friso is insanely hot in OU right now, having ripped off like 3 series in a row as well as winning 2 in a row in snake, so he's got the momentum to be able to pull off the upset, but I'd have to be crazy to actually pick him to win this series given how dominant Tricking has been in SM OU lately.

Dora vs Mob Barley - Both players are similar in terms of being willing to play aggressively and take risks throughout the game as well as favoring similar types of offensive teams, and while Mob has more experience overall, I think Dora's had some gnarly team choices as well as playing really really well for stretches in some games that's gonna allow him to come up with the win here.

(Mimolette vs Liones) vs Charmflash - In spite of some of the names we're seeing in these playoffs, Charmflash is actually my favorite to take the whole thing just because of his really cool unorthodox building style combined with his ability to play his way out of seemingly anything these days. Obviously, Mimo and Liones aren't bad, they're just not near his level right now.

Last edited:

Hiro'

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
RoA Leader
Empo vs Tace
le LLiolae vs Twixtry
Kebab mlml vs Typhlosion48
Updated Kanto vs Sacri' - really good series right here, i'm always rooting for Sacri' no matter what
Hayburner vs ABR
frisoeva vs Tricking
Dora
vs Mob Barley
(Mimolette vs Liones) vs Charmflash

Either Empo, Sacri' or ABR to win it all.

Empo vs Tace - Empo made his own name in this generation and has arguably grabbed his spot as a top 5 SM player, with some peculiar downs here and there throughout his recent showings but nothing that would discredit him by any way. I think he has what it takes to bring home this trophy and hes surely in the upper echelon of this series, Tace has showed flashes of high level playing but hes not there yet I feel.

le LLiolae vs Twixtry - Enough experience on the big stage, current success in general and solid teams along solid wins against good players are the things that make Twix get the credit he has been getting, and I dont really see he losing to the belgian LL atm.

Kebab mlml vs Typhlosion48 - Closest series, if it was 100% based on what Ive seen recently, cyndaquill would get bolded for sure, but kebab is one of my current players and I know what hes cappable of, otherwise he wouldnt be with me. That being said, both are underdogs atm and we cant really bet whats gonna happen for sure, maybe the fire starter has a slight edge but kebabs ceiling is too high to count off.

Updated Kanto vs Sacri' - Before this tour UK would be considered dead in a matchup like this, but he actually has been showing a great amount of spice in both playing and team choices every time i see he playing. Sacri is someone that I usually rank upper than some other people would, and he probby can take games of anyone in SM OU, and I surely favor him in this one based on his general high level. Close one.

Hayburner vs ABR - ABR can breathe since he doesnt have the magician to kick his ass off this tour this time around bop. Being serious tho, he might be the best player remaining along Tricking, and in a predictable world the tour would be decided in the moment they faced each other. BUT, we all know pokémon isnt always like that, and in the end he can always get owned by someone like Hayburner for having a stroke, getting unlucky or simply misplaying, but I dont see it happening.

frisoeva vs Tricking - WOATLI is a top player already and top contender along ABR as I said above, frisoeva has been doing REALLY great in both tours hes playing atm but I cant predict hes taking off the italian this time around. Both are playing in snake too so like, I hope Tricking doesnt fuck it up by losing in the one that matters (whichs not this one ofc).

Dora vs Mob Barley - Hey have a wonderful day smogon. Hope you all are doing great irl.

Liones vs Charmflash - Za meowdo joined the spreadsheet warriors squad led by myself (the magician) and Cdumas, and hes actually pretty solid in SM OU overall. Hes a rank bellow tricking/abr/empo but I dont count him off to take this tour. Liones isnt a bad player by any way tho, just not there yet.

Good luck everyone, weird not seeing Star and Ojama here now but LOL their very own fault by being subpar players I think.

Typhlosion48

RBTT Champion
Lost, ggs to kebab. I'm satisfied with how far I've come considering I started playing ou this year and I'm grateful that I was able to play and meet some amazing players in this tour. Shoutouts to martha for the constant support/advice throughout the tour and yako for his incredible teams building skills, and many people like Sacri, wigleetuff, ydw, beatiful, kratosmana, insult(prolly missing a few) for helping me in one way or another.
Hopefully I'll be able to compete with such players sometime in the future. Good Luck to everyone who's still in it :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)