Finals Smogon Tournament #9 - Finals [Won by gr8astard]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
i don't hate gr8astard, i actually used think he was a pretty cool guy, but the actions he took in the double01 scenario and now in ost9 finals are really starting to piss me off. it was his "idiotic actions", not mine, that led me to dislike him, thanks.

i understand gr8's a highly competent bw2 ou player, and i think he's not a bad choice for the recipient of this trophy, but the way he went about getting it was utterly disgraceful. he already lost, and now he's not necessarily breaking any rules but the way he took that game 2 win was pathetic. if gr8astard is so confident in his own skill, he should play a real game 2 with destinyunknown, and not ruin the finals because the other guy loaded his team incorrectly (which i definitely buy, dunk's not the kind of guy to try to scout out his opponent with that much on the line).

echoing phil's sentiments,
* indeed. what a terrible way to end smogon's most prestigious tournament.
Lavos hop off the dick u were still huggin his leg before he played McM, we all know ur doing this so people hate u less for pulling ur shit in the spl so stop trying so hard

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
lol PO sucks, idk how many times it's loaded the wrong team/ability. "no evidence" my ass, it's happened countless times since we started using it for tournaments. i think i've seen like 10 sand veil toxic orb gliscors in spl alone

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The idea that we're letting the matches not be fully played when there are actual tangible prizes being given out is a shoddy decision by those in charge. If we want to not worry about gr8's teams being scouted, we should just have matches 2 and 3 take place at a later date. This is absolute crap, sorry. This isn't just for 256 pixels on an internet Pokemon forum (though that would be garbage enough on its own). Whether it was a glitch or not, to end the finals of Smogon's (now formerly) most prestigious tournament with a default win is ridiculous.

Obviously, it's pretty clear that there are a lot of things at fault here, but I really do urge the TDs to reconsider their decision and the precedent they are establishing here -- that you can abuse every loophole and win with it. It's also easy to see that cash prizes need to be reevaluated... I don't think the community is ready for it, and our staff is not prepared to make calls for it.

No official tournament should be ending this way in any capacity, and it's sad to see that an attempt to make our tournaments more "legitimate" and high-stakes has absolutely backfired.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
this is why you dont add cash prizes to pokemon tournaments, this is exactly what happens once you do

pathetic finals, pathetic tournament. Hopefully there wont ever be any cash prize again. like loki and phil said, back in the day people played to prove they were good. what satisfaction do you get out of being a shit for a trophy if everyone knows youre, well, horrible?

I guess I'll give my two cents about what happened in the 2nd game. Sometimes PO screws up when you load the team in the actual teambuilder, it doesn't load it in the actual file loading thingy w/e you wanna call it. Sometimes it does work and sometimes it doesn't. Another glitch that can potentially happen is when changing servers, your team doesn't load.

I'm almost 100% positive that most people in this thread have had this happen to them at some point playing on PO2.

I think the best solution is if gr8astard refuses to accept the 3ds prize and tshirt, that kind of dissipates the shitstorm without the TD's having to intervene further

congrats on the win though gr8 seems like the most deserving winner in terms of who he has eliminated to make the finals

Lowgock

Doyen & Éminence Grise of the German Pokémon Community
is the 3rd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
hy
why was double01 supposed to replay against gr8bastard

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I really really really hate the tournament crowd these days. Are you all like 13 years old?
i understand the allure of a 3ds but it's called basic human decency
i mean there's really no way to win, considering you've either got the guy who ripped Double01 or the guy who ripped ToF. When my team on PO loaded in a tourney and my Kingdra had twice as many protects and no Draco Meteors, my opponent let me replay. Would be nice if everyone else would do the same.

All this drama to cover up the fact that Gr8astard played better, and IS better than his opponent. Hugo muscled through players like McMeghan, Peachy, and Heist.. Did anyone else this tour eliminate such an impressive list of users? Vinc definitely didn't and he's talking shit. Lavos definitely didn't and he's talking shit. I doubt even the mighty Double01 would have mirrored Hugo's performance.

Congrats on the win Hugo, thanks for the shoutout, fuck the jelly jabba haters. Whatever happens, Hugo is the clear winner, and everyone else is a poor sport.
Why are you bringing someone nice like Vinc into this? are you gr8astards lawyer or something? wow, like he gave you one shoutout now you're all over his dick.

Reactions: trc
gr8 dicked double01, shakeitup dicked aqualouis, tof dicked undisputed, DU dicked tof, then gr8 dicked DU or maybe DU just tried and failed to dick gr8, we'll never know. all very reputable players and people in every respect other than this tournament.

further, I am sure there was a LOT more counterteaming and scouting and ghosting going on that we will never know about, and more shit talking about a fucking children's game than is ever justifiable

at the end of the day NOBODY was a good sport this tournament. gr8 just happened to be the one to win. my guess is enough bullshit happened that no matter who won the tournament, we'd still be calling it a disgrace.

so why hate on gr8astard when in reality everyone is guilty, and why hate this much when at the end of the day we are all still talking about a hobby.

also gr8 please just go decline the 3ds so that everyone can shut the fuck up

Valentine

Banned deucer.
Why are you bringing someone nice like Vinc into this? are you gr8astards lawyer or something? wow, like he gave you one shoutout now you're all over his dick.
Why wouldn't I be on his cock?
Haven't you seen his brand spanking new 3DS?

Also pointing out that Masterclass didn't amass an impressive execution list like Hugo did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)