Smogon Tournament #8 - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon Tournament #8

Tournament Rules | Signups | Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Round 7

Welcome to Smogon Tournament VIII, the eighth edition of Smogon's premier Standard OU tournament. From the hundreds who will register to play in this tournament, a single champion will be crowned and forever become a part of the exclusive group of elite players that hold an Official Smogon Tournament trophy. Winning this tournament is considered by many to be one of the greatest achievements in competitive Pokémon.

• This is a standard BW OU tournament.
  • The tournament will be single elimination.
  • Players will play a best of three series of games each round.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Online (Smogon University server).
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing pokémon.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Wifi Clause: Players must turn on the Team Preview feature where players can view the opposing team's Pokémon and choose their lead Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause*: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets, and cannot give their Pokémon the hold items BrightPowder or Lax Incense.
  • OHKO Clause*: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Timer Clause*: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Uber Clause*: Pokémon that are in the Uber Tier are not allowed to be used. The tier list can be found here. In addition, the following restrictions on abilities apply:
    • Players cannot use the ability Moody on any of their Pokémon.
    • Players cannot have a Pokémon with the ability Drizzle and a Pokémon with the ability Swift Swim on the same team.
*These clauses should automatically be enforced in the Smogon University BW OU tier.
Those who have followed Smogon's official tournaments should be well aware of these, but here they are again:

Identity

I expect many battles to be completed under alts. This can be bad for tournament security, and thus I will make this clear: If I hear any whispers of identity theft (battling as someone you are not) or proxy battling (helping someone else battle through pm) I will not be pleased and I will take severe actions.

Scouting

Next, I do not want to hear anything about counterteaming, at all. Do not complain about it. I also don't want to hear about any blatant scouting. There is a difference between "[user] is known for using stall" and "let me follow [user] around all day to watch all his battles since I am his opponent". I expect a lot of the former and none of the latter.

With that said, I give permission to all battlers to ask any person spectating their battle to leave if they do not want them watching.

Timer Clause

As for taking long between moves, if your opponent asks you to hurry up, please oblige. If you are doing a damage calc for a key turn that is one thing, but prolonging every move is suspicious and annoying. Don't do it. Furthermore, Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason. If you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time.

Disconnections

Finally, in the case of a disconnect, the decision is in the hands of the player who did not disconnect. The options are: redo the battle move for move, redo the battle with the same teams but different moves, or redo the battle with completely different teams. If the battle was without a doubt over, they may also take the win. Any suspicion that a disconnect was committed on purpose to redo a match may be appealed to me, and if I feel this happened there will be severe consequences, don't do it.

Pairings

uraga vs Thatsjustpeachy
Snunch vs McMeghan

Match Descriptions

uraga vs Thatsjustpeachy

This semifinals match pairs future Maryland Community College freshman, uraga, against Bloo’s next romantic conquest, ThatsJustPeachy. Through a combination of divine intervention and his ability to use Roar against a Baton Pass team, uraga has somehow made it to the semifinals. When asked for his opinion on his opponent, uraga responded with an ASCII drawing of a large phallus. Penis expert reyscarface claims that this represents “immediate penetration.” Expect master teambuilder uraga to use Brick Break Tyranitar with much success in his matches vs. Peachy.

Meanwhile, we have ThatsJustPeachy, whose username is definitely not suggestive at all. Her achievements of note include not losing to Choice Band Magnezone and breeding within user Grind Pantera a deep-seeded hatred for females on the Internet. Peachy could not be reached for comment, not that a woman’s comment would ever be printed here.

Will uraga be able to put this victory on this college resume, or will TJP put a stop to his pocket monster? ~ Eo Ut Mortus

Snunch vs McMeghan

You might know him as the most illustrious UU player since Eo Ut Mortus, the strongest member of the PR Pirates besides Eo Ut Mortus, or the guy who didn’t know how to make the Classiest logo transparent in SPL 1 unlike Eo Ut Mortus. Defying everyone’s expectations (except for his own misguided ones), Snunch has made it to the semifinals of the eighth Official Smogon Tournament. Tournament Expert Pidge claims that Snunch “is like flaming hot potato chips, sure you can eat a lot and enjoy this exotic spiciness, but after you're done you will be left feeling fat.”

On the other hand, we see McMeghan has received easy pairing number eight. When asked for his opinion of Snunch, the Belgian wonder responded, “dgaf, [I’m] straight chill . . . [Snunch is] weird [and] shit [and I will sweep him with] . . . Thunder Wave NP Togekiss” (translated). Unlike Snunch, McMeghan is more comparable to a basket of apples: Worms eats him out every day.

Will Snunch lose or McMeghan win? ~ Eo Ut Mortus

Deadline

The deadline for Semifinal matches will be Monday, the 27th of February 2012, at 23:59 EST.

Four deserving semifinalists, good luck to each of you!

uraga vs Thatsjustpeachy
Snunch vs McMeghan

both games are going to be really intense though so it could easily go either way

Backing snunch to win it

semi finals made of 4 people who are really underrated (except for maybe mcmeghan), interesting

rooting for uragg cause hes a scooter

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
IPL was the most deserving of the trophy. However, Peachy is okay I guess since IPL has been eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)