Smogon Tournament #8 - Round 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon Tournament #8

Tournament Rules | Signups | Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4

Welcome to Smogon Tournament VIII, the eighth edition of Smogon's premier Standard OU tournament. From the hundreds who will register to play in this tournament, a single champion will be crowned and forever become a part of the exclusive group of elite players that hold an Official Smogon Tournament trophy. Winning this tournament is considered by many to be one of the greatest achievements in competitive Pokémon.

Specific Rules

• This is a standard BW OU tournament.
  • The tournament will be single elimination.
  • Players will play a best of three series of games each round.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Online (Smogon University server).

Standard Rules and Clauses

• Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing pokémon.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Wifi Clause: Players must turn on the Team Preview feature where players can view the opposing team's Pokémon and choose their lead Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause*: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets, and cannot give their Pokémon the hold items BrightPowder or Lax Incense.
  • OHKO Clause*: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Timer Clause*: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Uber Clause*: Pokémon that are in the Uber Tier are not allowed to be used. The tier list can be found here. In addition, the following restrictions on abilities apply:
    • Players cannot use the ability Moody on any of their Pokémon.
    • Players cannot have a Pokémon with the ability Drizzle and a Pokémon with the ability Swift Swim on the same team.
*These clauses should automatically be enforced in the Smogon University BW OU tier.

Rulings

Those who have followed Smogon's official tournaments should be well aware of these, but here they are again:

Identity

I expect many battles to be completed under alts. This can be bad for tournament security, and thus I will make this clear: If I hear any whispers of identity theft (battling as someone you are not) or proxy battling (helping someone else battle through pm) I will not be pleased and I will take severe actions.

Scouting

Next, I do not want to hear anything about counterteaming, at all. Do not complain about it. I also don't want to hear about any blatant scouting. There is a difference between "[user] is known for using stall" and "let me follow [user] around all day to watch all his battles since I am his opponent". I expect a lot of the former and none of the latter.

With that said, I give permission to all battlers to ask any person spectating their battle to leave if they do not want them watching.

Timer Clause

As for taking long between moves, if your opponent asks you to hurry up, please oblige. If you are doing a damage calc for a key turn that is one thing, but prolonging every move is suspicious and annoying. Don't do it. Furthermore, Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason. If you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time.

Disconnections

Finally, in the case of a disconnect, the decision is in the hands of the player who did not disconnect. The options are: redo the battle move for move, redo the battle with the same teams but different moves, or redo the battle with completely different teams. If the battle was without a doubt over, they may also take the win. Any suspicion that a disconnect was committed on purpose to redo a match may be appealed to me, and if I feel this happened there will be severe consequences, don't do it.

Pairings

Snunch vs yan[sogeking]
Scimjara vs Bluewind
Zak91 vs Jcpdragonx
badabing vs Taylor
Staraptor vs Private
Alice vs Mynism
panamaxis vs xtrashine
Blue_Star vs uraga
Kevin Garrett vs McMeghan
Sunbeam vs imperfectluck
Vinc2612 vs Playa
[K-12] The Madchine vs Thatsjustpeachy
Grind Pantera vs Ojama
toshimelonhead vs SJCrew
Pocket vs twash
shinycarletto vs TheFourthChaser

Highlight Matches

Bluewind vs Scimjara

reyscarface lost last round (to Kevin Garrett of all people, lol). What a shame. Is all ST8 hope lost for Latin America? Probably; since when have they won anything? Maybe if rey had been whinier, gayer, and better at Pokemon, he would have taken the entire thing. We will see, because Bluewind is still in this tournament. Boasting several titles, including twice Smogon tour runner-up, this grudge-filled Brasilian has had to perform several amazing feats to get to this stage, including #communicating #a #time #to #AndViet and showing up to his battle with Firegohan92. His opponent is Scimjara, one of Latin America's more prominent players. Scimjara is known for several things, including having never won a tournament and regularly feuding with Ojama for the title of the most well-known mediocre player - perfect qualifications for beating Brazil's finest. One question remains: Will it be WhiteQueen or Ojama who ends up jacking off to the replays of these series? ~ Eo Ut Mortus

Grind Pantera vs Ojama

You know him by a large quantity of names: Grind Pantera, Hawk Eye, MYST0GAN, Sweepage, the guy who went 0-4 in WCOP 2010, and many more. Now he's back, somehow, in ST8, and he's looking to win another tournament besides the Marriland Tower. He MoPped the floor with MoP round 1, but this round, however, will be far more challenging. He faces one of Smogon's most illustrious battlers, a player whose skills are well-known even far beyond the realm of Smogon. Some would argue that Sweep doesn't stand a ghost of a chance against his opponent. Will Grind Pantera rise to the occasion, or is this just another easy victory for Eternal? ~ Eo Ut Mortus

This battle pairs two players that very well may be the most overrated Singles players Smogon has seen this past year. On one side, we have most recent tour champion Kevin Garrett. A great display of skill and sucking the spermatozoon straight out of God's holy dick allowed him to luck everyone he faced during the playoffs. The result was a victory not even rivaled by Delta's as the least deserved in history, and Kevin's biggest achievement in his entire life. On the other side, we have McMeghan, a new player who has impressed the masses with his one incredible ability: managing to get Earthworm to fall in love with him. What happened after was no surprise. After fabulous displays of propaganda by some users, such as the great Earthworm's vocal advertisements and mighty user Chieliee following him like Bluewind follows Folgorio, a hero was born. The great McMeghan, who has achieved things many can only dream of, such as -- yeah. Will Kevin Garrett defeat another titan of BW? Will McMeghan prove too cancerous for Kevin Garrett and show us why Earthworm gets aroused by the mere sight of his username? Will Limitless cockride Kevin Garrett once more? All these questions and many more will be answered in this match for the ages. ~ reyscarface

yan[sogeking] vs Snunch

In possibly the most lopsided match-up this round, Snunch, a regular Round 2 tournament loser and a better LC player than Indra, faces off against the legendary yan[sogeking], heavily favoured to win the whole thing. While the two players are quite evidently on opposite ends of the skill spectrum, on closer inspection, they have had similar journeys to arrive at this stage. Snunch burst onto the Tournament scene by exceeding all expectations and amassing a 2-7 record in SPL 2, while Sogeking made an equally big splash by dominating WCoP VI with his cunning, wit, .-----------., uh bryan, and charm. It is no surprise that Snunch was retained in SPL 3 for a lot more than 10k, and it is only a matter of time before Sogeking makes his triumphant return to WCoP and leads his home country of Canada to glory. Unfortunately for poor Snunchers, this is not ADV, where he can beat everybody but Earthworm, but he is sure to put up a valiant fight against the Canadian wonder, who, with a Zuruzukin by his side, will assuredly show Snunch how a real man plays Pokemon. ~ Iconic

panamaxis vs xtrashine

The metagame changer more known by xtranus, xtrashit, the boy whose mother always orders him to sleep during important tournaments, or xtrashine faces the almighty panamaxis, whose trophies, battling skills, World Cup records, and sister are impressive. This is a great opportunity for both players, since xtrashine is on the verge of being traded off from Alpha Ruiners and definitely needs to prove his skills, while panamaxis still wants a trophy that will last forever. Will the little saudi battler be traded off from his SPL team? Or will panamaxis' beautiful sister be sad? ~ Blue_Star

Deadline

The deadline for Round 5 Matches will be Sunday, the 29th of January 2012, at 23:59 EST.

Good luck everyone!

Snunch vs yan[sogeking]
Scimjara vs Bluewind
Zak91 vs Jcpdragonx
badabing vs Taylor
Staraptor vs Private
Alice vs Mynism
panamaxis vs xtrashine
Blue_Star vs uraga
Sunbeam vs imperfectluck
Vinc2612 vs Playa
[K-12] The Madchine vs Thatsjustpeachy
Grind Pantera vs Ojama
toshimelonhead vs SJCrew
Pocket vs twash
shinycarletto vs TheFourthChaser

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
expert analysis + commentary

Snunch vs yan[sogeking]: no brainer
Scimjara vs Bluewind: just try not to gay up the battle with your gay
Zak91 vs Jcpdragonx: silent killer
badabing vs Taylor: prince of planet earth vs eyyyyyyyyyyyyyy badaaaa binggggggg
Staraptor vs Private: bird
Alice vs Vemane: vagina
panamaxis vs xtrashine: functional human being
Blue_Star vs uraga: my main men up against each other ;_;
Kevin Garrett vs McMeghan: 18-0 cruising
Sunbeam vs imperfectluck: predicting ipl makes semis and loses on activity
Vinc2612 vs Playa: fuck you playa you bitc h
[K-12] The Madchine vs Thatsjustpeachy: well that prediction was just peachy
Grind Pantera vs Ojama: french vs stench
toshimelonhead vs SJCrew: ?
Pocket vs twash: ok fine, you get one prediction
shinycarletto vs TheFourthChaser: rip tfc

Dont understand why you coinfliped since I was more active, explained you and its his third activity win in a row. It honestly seemed obvious to lots of people. but well,..

Lol, why did Mynism get coinflipped? His opponent was inactive for 3/4 of the previous rounds -_-

EDIT: wise decision EW !

The reason I originally coin flipped was that while I thought Mynism was more active, I thought that the activity difference was not significant enough to justify an activity win.

However, after discussing and reconsidering the activity shown by both players and the content and timing of the VMs exchanged, I have decided to give Mynism the activity win over Vemane in Round 4. The fact that Vemane won off activity for the previous two rounds did not influence this decision. The main reason I have made the decision was that due to timezones and availability, the only viable time to play was the weekend, and while Mynism gave available times to Vemane prior to the weekend, Vemane did not give any specific availability times until later, and failed to respond for the entirety of the weekend.

Sorry to anyone inconvenienced by this.

As host and TD my job is to arrive at the fairest rulings possible to ensure the tournament is successful, and rulings can be reconsidered if new evidence or arguments are presented. If you have complaints about a ruling, please PM me your reasoning instead of posting in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)