Smogon Tournament #8 - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon Tournament #8

Tournament Rules | Signups

Welcome to Smogon Tournament VIII, the eighth edition of Smogon's premier Standard OU tournament. From the hundreds who will register to play in this tournament, a single champion will be crowned and forever become a part of the exclusive group of elite players that hold an Official Smogon Tournament trophy. Winning this tournament is considered by many to be one of the greatest achievements in competitive Pokémon.

Specific Rules

• This is a standard BW OU tournament.
  • The tournament will be single elimination.
  • Players will play a best of three series of games each round.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Online (Smogon University server).

Standard Rules and Clauses

• Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing pokémon.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Wifi Clause: Players must turn on the Team Preview feature where players can view the opposing team's Pokémon and choose their lead Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause*: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets, and cannot give their Pokémon the hold items BrightPowder or Lax Incense.
  • OHKO Clause*: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Timer Clause*: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Uber Clause*: Pokémon that are in the Uber Tier are not allowed to be used. The tier list can be found here. In addition, the following restrictions on abilities apply:
    • Players cannot use the ability Moody on any of their Pokémon.
    • Players cannot have a Pokémon with the ability Drizzle and a Pokémon with the ability Swift Swim on the same team.
*These clauses should automatically be enforced in the Smogon University BW OU tier.

Questions and Answers
  • Q: Should I save a log of my match as proof of my victory?
    • A: Yes. While it is not mandatory to show us the log of your victory, it is the only proof you have in the case of a dispute and it is always a good practice to keep the logs of your tournament matches.
  • Q: Will there be a Predictions Tournament like last year?
    • A: Yes. It is hosted by Hipmonlee.
  • Q: Can I change teams between battles/rounds?
    • A: Yes.
Rulings

Those who have followed Smogon's official tournaments should be well aware of these, but here they are again:

Identity

I expect many battles to be completed under alts. This can be bad for tournament security, and thus I will make this clear: If I hear any whispers of identity theft (battling as someone you are not) or proxy battling (helping someone else battle through pm) I will not be pleased and I will take severe actions.

Scouting

Next, I do not want to hear anything about counterteaming, at all. Do not complain about it. I also don't want to hear about any blatant scouting. There is a difference between "[user] is known for using stall" and "let me follow [user] around all day to watch all his battles since I am his opponent". I expect a lot of the former and none of the latter.

With that said, I give permission to all battlers to ask any person spectating their battle to leave if they do not want them watching.

Timer Clause

As for taking long between moves, if your opponent asks you to hurry up, please oblige. If you are doing a damage calc for a key turn that is one thing, but prolonging every move is suspicious and annoying. Don't do it. Furthermore, Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason. If you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time.

Disconnections

Finally, in the case of a disconnect, the decision is in the hands of the player who did not disconnect. The options are: redo the battle move for move, redo the battle with the same teams but different moves, or redo the battle with completely different teams. If the battle was without a doubt over, they may also take the win. Any suspicion that a disconnect was committed on purpose to redo a match may be appealed to me, and if I feel this happened there will be severe consequences, don't do it.

Pairings

ShinyAzelf vs Firestorm
Lunar. vs Dubulous
Giga Punch vs NoJohns
DittoCrow vs Scarx
davidness vs afterburn
Hogan vs ShakeItUp
Blue_Blur vs Curtains
CaptainBlue vs OVERGRO
Steamroll vs wraith
Stone_Cold vs Indra
badabing vs shevio16
ZandgaiaX vs Stunt
noobiess vs Rurushu
shinyskarmory vs Eternal
Go10 vs HBK
Amell vs Raseri
lily vs comatthew6
Helba vs Earthchomp
Mekkah vs HSA
HoiPolloi vs -Dragon9
Jcpdragonx vs iss
Morty vs Jayde
Lamppost vs H3ckt1k
buttered vs Innocent Criminal
waterwarrior vs BankaiBro
Spaniard vs BKC
Zack Drake vs H-C
gene vs pokemonrocks777
Derk vs symphonyx64
PokeKid5 vs Engineer Pikachu
Tyranitarphantom vs jpchato
barry4ever vs Chieliee
Vaz vs Deku La Situacion
Davy Jones vs OdeDischarge
Byrn Dragonstone vs intentional
xtrashine vs ColeWorld
Xone vs AvaZard
Darkon vs 7014gree
Eos vs LazyLosLobos
ginganinja vs dachickens
Solar Thunder vs tomtom5858
FM vs Ningildo
Aeromence vs Chapolin
Maaf vs Moo
Princess of Johto vs Gil4
Lady Salamence vs TalkingLion
yee vs Katakiri
Sayan vs Hugendugen
Aqualouis vs New World Order
Krack vs Smith
makiri vs EspyJoel
sasu vs Afonso97
Bloo vs Shining Latios
ssbbm vs Rewer
Jackal vs Akola
Pippy vs Gabranth
MCG93 vs ToF
DC. vs Playa
SethZiBritannia vs mostwanted
Rydro vs Chaotic
LonelyNess vs Pr0man
Juanca529 vs dpg2172
undisputed vs obina.
Just0r vs Rediamond
Sunbeam vs MCRandom
Fizz vs Insomniac.
Astamatitos vs dragonuser
Steviej321 vs leo999
Expert Evan vs SoulWind
whitesocks vs bugmaniacbob
Ricardo Toddy vs Soul Ulquiorra
prem vs Mizuno
KingGliscor vs Pidge
Shmerganderf vs Butterfreeak
shofu vs Iceblade157
[K-12] The Madchine vs BattleStar
Heist vs ultimateteam
¬Chase™ vs KnightoftheWind
Soto vs mew420
6A9 Ace Matador vs cartercr
Ninja-persian vs Zak91
SGV vs eBit
Delko vs Vexatious
ZaChAttAcK101 vs Gen. Empoleon
Alaka vs rexxsix
celebi_vor vs CMx
-Manu- vs SasukeNF
Blue Kirby vs _AlexiS_
reyscarface vs M Dragon
Novaray vs OneTeD
bubbly vs Light The Thunder
Quiz vs jdesai927
AlphaJolt vs BIHI
Poppy vs BUMBACLOT
SuperChillarmy vs -Marcel-
Chacal vs HanzoHattori
Bboy235 vs Quagsires
yondie vs RageTheEagle
Fried Rhys vs Hot N Cold
Omglolitsj vs Drums
Tomahawk9 vs D4RR3N
IronBullet93 vs Crux
DarkLoïc vs Sandslash
Terrador vs Philip7086
toshimelonhead vs Lakers
SevilitheArcanine vs Impact
Brotom vs Plusle
EpicTurtle vs mien
malcolmpc vs Ralts
sheep vs Malekith
smashlloyd20 vs Royal Flush
EdgeHead vs Gideon
hanke vs crueLity
Final Fantasy vs Toaster
Z-rex vs Basti
MYST0GAN vs Aeroblacktyl
Mr.Pooh31 vs liberty32
Mynism vs Aeolus
Fear vs Giorgosss
San_Pellegrino vs PasY_G
Nachos vs Dublinnaser1
FelixMinamimoto vs pkmner
christos21 vs Stathakis
Joeyboy vs SOMALIA
!Nexus vs blarajan
Juice! vs jonathanrp
bharmalm vs Terraquaza
drcossack vs Faladran
Gimmick vs avalanche3387
ITSU vs pedrokabu
Atoni vs lapras6666
Kevin Garrett vs Omicron
IceCarAdler vs mfhoundoom
sky JIR vs Staraptor
Scimjara vs bwburke94
SilentRevolver vs kokoloko
Eranu vs giara
HardCore vs X5Dragon
Tobes vs ¬Itachi
yaya0 vs Umby
Altair vs Saijo
twash vs Quickbobhero
CheezitKing vs Ojama
Disposable Puppets vs Foster
Ciele vs SJCrew
Solace vs Alice
Vratix vs billymills
risenreturn vs Taker
Pako vs kd24
Sixonesix vs Birkal
ZzCuDizZ vs RBG
The Kyle vs The_Chaser
wilson46 vs DestinyUnknown
YoshiX vs Thorns
BIG loven vs -okara
AshPe vs Lowgock
Pedrock vs omgitscal
Blackhawk11 vs LizardMan
theamericandream38 vs Blue_Star
DrMohammadLi vs Solstice
Exppoint vs Golden Sun
LebronJames vs jessifer
fatty vs Skillie23
Yamata no Orochi vs SPF
Pesadilla vs Pkrs
Reiko vs Jets
Grimm70 vs T-Dogg
TheDuzzMaster vs Taylor
itzGator vs macle
djayceofhearts vs Myzozoa
Rudy vs Squirrel.
Iconic vs Husky
MSB vs yan[sogeking]
CrackeroxD vs Hantsuki
kael vs elDino
Sir vs waffles101
panamaxis vs Methmite
Pearl. vs style_rbk16
MarceloDK vs Professor Lamb
Zephir vs rukkiko
KidChameleon vs zdrup15
Majestic vs Delta 2777
DetroitLolcat vs BurningMan
Charizard92 vs Seafunks
franky vs Phetto
Wario Land 3 vs Twannes
CTI vs McMeghan
Swaggersaurus vs Pansage01
Benis vs sst222
shadowxevo vs Master of the Six Kings
SlimMan vs SkyNet
LighTz911 vs eaglesrock
Texas Cloverleaf vs Pocket
Noodlez vs TV-Rocka
Dark_Psiana vs kuja20
Basics vs NastyGoldyloxx
Windsong vs 13Random37
imperfectluck vs Razza
Private vs Drifloon
JabbaTheGriffin vs Nails
Dexs Kid vs ENZ0
mode.9800 vs Aldaron
CriCri95 vs Cicada
MrHsim vs DracoMalfoy
Alpha00 vs --mew--
Vinc2612 vs Metal Bagon
PenguinX vs FastFlygon
Chicken_Vagitas vs Furai
august vs Munhojun
FAFUS vs YAYtears
_TyRoGuE_ vs Blightbringer
Bluewind vs WarriorPrince
Mithril vs Folgorio
Shun DK vs uraga
AndViet vs Fantom0
Freitas vs B-Lulz
Stallion vs SSJ3Gojuan
Seven Deadly Sins vs WECAMEASROMANS
Bartman101 vs Chimpakt
MikeDecIsHere vs Nike
idiotfrommars vs Vemane
Arctic Eclipse vs Limitless
DeathxShinigami vs Nubagator
Psycho Cut vs Fishkiller nomore
Snunch vs TEzeon
-Gallade- vs Ruppy
Colchonero vs Ashley Young
moot vs Pwnemon
tennisace vs Heathcliff Huxtable
TheFourthChaser vs HellPowna
Google Knight vs Cristal
Dude24 vs Tizio Potente Ao
The Wolf vs Fener
dragonboy52 vs Agammemnon
Mforz vs TheValkyries
Hawkstar vs Eo Ut Mortus
ala vs lucasky
Thatsjustpeachy vs SuperSimon
Zurich vs Dragone
Bowl Cut vs Max212
zarator vs bro fist
Darkdiglett vs Steven Snype
Sapientia vs AccidentalGreed
holloweman2 vs Dummy007
.Robert vs Xephyr
Takua vs By Myself
Frizy vs justenough215
Breefun vs CRAAAAAAAAAAB
jas61292 vs Asterat
DarkLucario vs Lohgock
Firegohan92 vs DjGopher
shinycarletto vs Tan
Evan Falco vs Brophlosion
- Mirox - vs ~GreenCore
199 Lives vs Palmers_Raichu
Cometk vs tito

Highlight Matches

Stone_Cold vs Indra

DACOPBOSS is set to take on Stone_Cold in what is sure to one of the fastest bo3 matches ever. Will Indra's dgaf attitude triump over Stone's unorthodox playstyle or will Stone show Indra who the true boss is? Get your predictions in quick because there won't be any johning in this match up. ~ panamaxis

makiri vs EspyJoel

One of the most prolific VGC players goes up against long time singles player, tutor, and recent tournament winner EspyJoel. This is sure to be an intense match.

Jackal vs Akola

The Canadian head of tournaments and captain of Team Canada goes up against a French player who managed to top the Smogon ladder by almost 100 points. We will soon see whether Jackal can hold his own against this upcoming Frenchman.

DC. vs Playa

DC. is an upcoming player who managed to win a Tutee Tournament, and he plays against Playa, who reached top 16 in Season 11 of the Smogon Tour and helped Team Oceania earn their third successive World Cup victory. This match will certainly be interesting.

reyscarface vs M Dragon

This match is certainly the hottest in Round 1. As two of Smogon Tour Season 12's Semi- and Quarter-finalists, both of these players need no introduction. Will reyscarface's history in tournaments and recent tour success give him the edge over one of the most successful Spanish players? Stay tuned to find out!

Ciele vs SJCrew

Ciele has won a tournament in the past and been successful in the Smogon Premier League, while SJCrew is one of the most vocal posters in Dragonspiral Tower. Will SJCrew turn out to be all talk or will he manage to beat the Brit?

CTI vs McMeghan

McMeghan is one of the best new BW players and is now well known in the Tournaments scene. CTI might be relatively unknown, but he certainly shouldn't be underestimated. Don't miss this match if you get the chance to spectate.

JabbaTheGriffin vs Nails

One of the most well known singles players goes up against heavyweight Little Cup player Nails in what is sure to be a great clash.

zarator vs bro fist

Another interesting match, Italian three-time tournament winner zarator goes up against the recent tournament winner Latin American bro fist. If you get the opportunity, you won't want to miss this one either.

MYST0GAN vs Aeroblacktyl

Two of the biggest egos and biggest attitudes on Smogon, Not only will this be a great match, but one of the most entertaining as words of hate will be sure to be slung versus each other. Definitely one of the big matches to look out for. ~ Stone_Cold

Deadline

The deadline for Round 1 Matches will be Sunday, the 11th of December, at 23:59 EST.

Good luck everyone!

You can expect the predictions thread to go up by tomorrow. Also, I am reposting what I posted to close the Signups thread here. It contains important information, so please read it:

Signups are now officially closed.

Thank you to everyone that signed up. It is thanks to you that not only will the finals not have a round robin, but this tournament will also be the biggest Smogon has ever held in its history at 512 participants.

Regarding rejected entrants...

Some of those who signed up were not permitted to enter, but I was very lax on taking out players this year because I wanted to reach 512 participants. The approximate criteria I used was: if you have five or fewer posts, I then checked your join date and investigated whether you have browsed the Smogon forums while being logged in during the last few days. If you had not logged in to check the forums, in most cases you were removed from the tournament. In a couple of cases, I removed a player that had browsed in the last few days. A few players were allowed in because they had been registered on the forums for longer than most of the others. These decisions were made subjectively by me.

If you were denied entry to the tournament, you may PM me to request to be a substitute. I know this is directly contrary to what was in the Q&A section a while ago, but if I don't accept substitutes from this pool of players, I will probably not have enough people to replace the group of players that will inevitably be inactive.

Regarding the current situation with the Black/White OU tier...

You may or may not be familiar with the current situation regarding Deoxys-S' tier. In a nutshell, the fate of Deoxys-S will be determined within the next couple of weeks by Aldaron, JabbaTheGriffin, and myself. This affects Smogon Tournament 8 (ST8) because if Deoxys-S is banned and ST8 continues with Deoxys-S allowed, players may find themselves struggling to test their tournament teams once the Smogon ladder adapts the new ban. I am announcing now that if the tier list does change during the tournament, Smogon Tournament 8 will adopt the new tier list from the beginning of the next round. It will be made very clear in the new round's thread if there are any changes to the tiers or other rules.

Regarding substitute players...

As I mentioned earlier, there will inevitably be players who go inactive during Round 1 or drop out due to personal reasons. If your opponent is inactive during the first round, post in the thread or PM me telling me this and I will endeavour to find a replacement player after a reasonable length of time has passed. To avoid replacing players who go missing but still intend to play, if you know you will be missing for a part of Round 1, please let me know. Substitutes will only be implemented during the first round, and since there will be no extensions given, they will be implemented with about one week remaining in the round to give ample time to play. If someone is clearly inactive then I may replace them sooner, but it is unlikely I will replace them later than that.

That should be everything, so without further ado, it is time to let the tournament begin!
Please use the time you have before you can battle to exchange timezones with your opponent and schedule your battles against them.

ight contacted

ya ik i posted somewhere else in this thread stating activity, but this is so much easier to find ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)