Smogon Snake Draft III - DOU Discussion Thread

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Welcome to the Smogon Snake Draft III DOU discussion thread! This thread will be used to talk about all things doubles during the third iteration of Smogon Snake Draft. The draft was earlier today, and the following players were drafted for DOU:

Terminus Taipans: Ezrael, kaori
Berry Forest Bushmasters: SMB
Black City Mambas: Human
Celadon City Cobras: qsns, Tman
Shinto Ruin Serpents: Demantoid
Lanakila Nagas: Nails, talkingtree
Sky Tower Lindworms: Croven, Stratos
Ambrette Astrotias: Mint16, AuraRayquaza
Lake of Rage Leviathans: emforbes, Kiichikos
Rumble Hall Rattlers: Spurrific
Any preliminary thoughts? Bold predictions? Sound off below!

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Highlight was seeing AuraRayquaza get the draft he deserved.

Everyone vs Croven + Stratos

(How could this predict possibly go wrong?)

MajorBowman

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Projected Week 1 matchups:

Mint16 vs Spurrific
emforbes vs qsns
Croven vs Demantoid
Human vs Ezrael
SMB vs Nails

Reactions: dom

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Here are my preliminary power rankings of the draft (recusing my own team)
  1. emforbes / Kiichikos - This would be my top pick even if it were just Emilio alone. He's on fire lately, can build and play, and doesn't succumb to nerves. Kiichikos was a pretty dedicated prepper for the XY$ tour so maybe that will be a great pick for support as well.
  2. qsns / Tman - The cobras drafted two starting-caliber DOU players to the same team, and both of these guys are active builders as well. Their builds can both stray a bit to the weird side when alone (hello Magmar), but I expect they will be able to keep each other in check. They're also immune to slump since they can easily both trade off the starting slot if they begin to tilt.
  3. SMB - Even if he's not at tip top shape lately, it's never wise to rank SMB low. His preferred style tends to do well in bo1 environments and I expect that to continue.
  4. Demantoid - Demantoid has always gotten middle of the pack results in team tours and I expect that to continue.
  5. Spurrific - Maybe a bit high of a rating since we're friends, but Justin is the real deal. I think Justin's ability to succeed will depend on if he can get positive matchups against his opponents. That may not sound too likely since he's relatively inexperienced and working alone, but I swear Justin has never lost a positive matchup in his life.
  6. Ezrael / Kaori - Does Sam even play anymore, or is this just solo Jon? Two players with activity issues, but Jon is very good and may be able to carry regardless. If he's active.
  7. Nails / talkingtree - If Nails is as motivated now as he was when he was on my VGC World Cup team in '17, this is going to be a disaster. But Nails has expressed interest in DOU in the past and he's good at VGC, so this could work out. Worst case scenario is that talkingtree starts, which is better than nothing, but he's much better at support.
  8. Human - He didn't do too hot in SPL and someone decided that he would get no support again in Snake. He did have one good seasonal, but that's been his only notable result since. Not too optimistic here.
  9. Mint16 / AuraRayquaza - Avoid this prep channel if you don't want to read excessive whining.

MajorBowman

Week 1 Matches:

[AST] Mint16 vs Spurrific [RAT]
[LEV] emforbes vs Tman [COB]
[LIN] Croven vs Demantoid [SER]
[MAM] Human vs Ezrael [TAI]
[BUS] SMB vs Nails [NAG]

Personally most excited for emforbes vs Tman and Demantoid's return to team tours but all 5 of these games should be quality. Good luck everyone!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
short week 1 predicts (and late! woops!) bc im busy with uni or something

[AST] Mint16 vs Spurrific [RAT]
Given that Mint is something like 0-59 lifetime against Spurrific in tournament sets and is still starting in this matchup, one can only imagine what sort of impression AuraRayquaza's teambuilding efforts left on the rest of the Astrotias. Equipped with a team of 6 Pokemon AuraRay deems broken, one can only imagine how Mint16 will fare against his arch-nemesis Spurrific, a player too epic to be gamed.

[LEV] emforbes vs Tman [COB]
Both players appear to be out of their depth in this match: emforbes will be uncomfortable since he can't intimidate his opponent with his trademark VGC tournament look, while Tman will also be uncomfortable since this isn't a UU match. The advantage definitely still goes to emforbes, though, provided that he wears his bandana while playing this match.

[LIN] Croven vs Demantoid [SER]
The self-proclaimed upstart "is mish mish" against the Prince of mish himself. If mish represented anything than a millennial take on the absurdity of the human condition, this could be a truly groundbreaking matchup. But no, mish is just a byword for unfunny anti-humor, and just like this battle, it will drag on for altogether too long before coming to a completely predictable conclusion. mish

[MAM] Human vs Ezrael [TAI]
There's a great joke to be made here about Jewish people but I'm not quite sure what it is or whether I can legally post it here without getting infracted. In the interests of maintaining my badgeset this is the safest prediction to make.

[BUS] SMB vs Nails [NAG]
Finally, a matchup where both of the three-letter team abbreviations are common English words. From word analysis alone, the BUS is a powerful modern machine capable of mass human transportation over long distances, whereas a NAG is a dying horse capable of transporting 1 human a few miles before it collapses due to old age. I find this comparison sufficient logical ground to predict the outcome of this match, and argue that this is still a better justification than most prediction posts.

General predictions:
  • Some sort of drama involving someone who wasn't even drafted
  • Mr. E posts something stupid
  • Oh, wait, those two predictions overlap, my bad

MajorBowman

Week 2 matches:
[LIN] Croven vs Human [MAM]
[NAG] Nails vs Mint16 [AST]
[BUS] SMB vs demantoid [SER]
[COB] Tman vs spurrific [RAT]
[TAI] Ezrael vs Emforbes [LEV]

Anything yall are looking forward to in week 2 or favorites from week 1? Personally enjoyed the PZ throwback from tommy week 1, I think most of us forgot that mon even existed lol

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Anything yall are looking forward to in week 2 or favorites from week 1? Personally enjoyed the PZ throwback from tommy week 1, I think most of us forgot that mon even existed lol
Megas were 2 Salamence / 2 Metagross / 1 Gardevoir / 1 Charizard Y / 1 Medicham / 1 Camerupt / 1 Abomasnow / 1 Blastoise, I really enjoyed seeing that. There's good megas and less good megas but it feels like there are no Megas that are so overwhelmingly good you have to run them in most of your teams, with the right speed control you can make a lot of different stuff work out and it's really fun to watch.
Curious to see if Enosh will give the Medicham another go in the future because this attempt fell flat on its face and it's an interesting, relatively underexplored mon

Level 51

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
oh woops I thought I posted this already

Week 1 highlights:
  • SMB uses Abomasnow and attacks his own Pokemon in the same game, thereby occupying Human's entire niche in the Pokemon world
  • It's 0-60 now in Spurrific's favor, that's pretty unepic gaming
  • The SMBOAT transforms into the SMBUS and, unlike most buses, runs over Nails without getting a flat tire
  • Not really Snake related but I just noticed TIN changed their username and I only now understand why they were Amaranth on Discord all this time
  • I wasn't really paying attention, can anyone confirm whether there was drama or not last week? Thanks
Week 2 predictions:

[LIN] Croven vs Human [MAM]
Maybe this season things are different and predicting against Croven makes him lose instead? I kinda hope Croven wins here because otherwise he'll probably starve himself for a few days and pay someone to beat him up. Realistically, though, the single most likely outcome from this match is that Stratos gives Croven's Pokemon the Jewish nicknames I was too afraid to joke about last week and gets banned from Smogon again because Croven is too much of a clicker to know how to change his team's nicknames. Also, this time Human doesn't try to ask me for teambuilding advice so he ends up with an actually usable team and wins 2-0.

[NAG] Nails vs Mint16 [AST]
So many similarities in this match! Both players have seen high-level VGC success! Both players are coming off some unfortunate losses last round! Both players are named after small objects that, under certain circumstances, you may feel compelled to put into your mouth! (Okay, maybe one of those similarities may be a little iffy—depends on how you qualify high-level success.) Expect to see weird teams on either side of the field—Nails has been playing DOU for about 8 days since his hiatus ended and is still trying to make me come up with reasons not to use Land Forme Shaymin, while AuraRayquaza appears to be subject to epileptic fits where he sees six Pokemon and places them on a team. Is Kyle's victory Mint to be, or will this match prove to be the Nails in his DOU coffin?

[BUS] SMB vs demantoid [SER]
The only thing stronger than a BUS is a BUSSER (and maybe a BUSSEST, but we don't talk about that). Demantoid doesn't know it, but his team's very existence only serves to make SMB stronger. This is doubtless leading up to the peak of the DOU Tournaments arc! Such exciting times we live in! My prediction: Demantoid loses, but through the loss generates a copious amount of Character Development and evolves into his pure ,odj ,odj form.

[COB] Tman vs Spurrific [RAT]
After the Porygon-Z win, expect to see Tman and qsns riding on the wave of early SM nostalgia teams, with Tman bringing a classic Aurora Veil triple setup team from the first week, replete with DD Zygarde, DD Salamence, and DD Tyranitar. This team will seem like a very good idea until Spurrific reveals he's packing Will-o-Wisp, and since Tapu Fini wasn't really a thing two days into the meta, Justin Burns.

[TAI] Ezrael vs emforbes [LEV]
In this battle between two people who lost Worlds Finals to matchup, it's down to who can, once again, get screwed more by factors outside of their control. I'm predicting that Ezrael will experience a network outage, while emforbes will drop his laptop after being jump by a small domestic animal. In the end, both players will agree to using !pick as a proxy, which would be why this matchup very much feels like a coinflip.

MajorBowman

Week 3!

[COB] Tman vs Nails [NAG]
[LEV] emforbes vs Human [MAM]
[BUS] SMB vs Croven [LIN]
[RAT] Spurrific vs Ezrael [TAI]
[SER] Demantoid vs Mint16 [AST]

MajorBowman

Week 4:

[NAG] Nails vs Ezrael [TAI]
[LEV] emforbes vs Spurrific [RAT]
[COB] Tman vs Demantoid [SER]
[LIN] Croven vs Mint16 [AST]
[MAM] Human vs SMB [BUS]

I've loved some of the teams we've seen so far, some really cool stuff emerging from this tournament. Glad to see people are still getting creative at the tail end of a generation, was nervous we'd just see a bunch of recycled teams or ideas. Keep it up yall!

MajorBowman

semana numero cinco:

[AST] Mint16 vs SMB [BUS]
[TAI] Ezrael vs Demantoid [SER]
[LEV] emforbes vs Croven [LIN]
[MAM] Human vs qsns [COB]
[RAT] Spurrific vs Nails [NAG]

Level 51

These aren't really predictions so let's call this "Week 6 preview"

[AST] Mint16 vs emforbes [LEV]
Mint16 is coming into this match fresh off a solid win where he took a Great Bite out of the SMBUS himself, and will be looking to Excel in this match too. His Mentos state is going to be really important as he seeks to Eclipse emforbes too, as he's demonstrated the ability to get out of some rough Momints with some smart plays as his Life Savers. On the other hand, emforbes has been playing solidly as of late⁠—could Mint end up as the latest addition to the emforbes 3-0d under 30?

[LIN] Stratos vs qsns [COB]
Most people out there think that Stratos won his first and only team tournament match because BLINGAS choked massively and threw that match like a 90kg stone projectile over 300 metres. In actuality, Stratos has a mysterious aura about him that causes his opponents to choke their matches like I choked on a Subway sandwich the other time when I wasn't thinking and told the guy to put every single vegetable into the sandwich. This sandwich-choking aura might seem awfully powerful, but what better player to face it down than competing sandwich chain quiznos? Will qsns indeed make some ham-fisted plays, or will he make the (cold) cut? Lettuce wait and see.

[BUS] SMB vs Ezrael [TAI]
The SMBUS faces down Ezrael, the player who has actually gone 5-0 without me noticing this entire time. Well, it's time to find out if his record Ezraelly deserved! Some might believe SMB might be suffering mild burnout, since maybe before some misplays betided SMB's moves, but such misgivings baffle & surprise me—believers, stay mindful: battling-wise, SMB's mighty! Both sides matched before, & should make brilliantly smart moves. Bloody suspenseful match, bravo!

[RAT] Spurrific vs Human [MAM]
[SER] Demantoid vs Nails [NAG]
I really couldn't think of anything funny to write, I'm sorry D: (I will point out, however, that RAT vs MAM is the classic household showdown of '70s cartoons, and for the other match, the phrase "Demantoid, demishtoid, delegendtoid" is stuck in my head.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)