Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What would be the potentially easiest and fastest way to earn one of those Showdown custom sprites with Trainer+Pokemon layout?
It should be noted that only the best of the best play in these tournaments. A more feasible way to earn a custom avatar is by contributing on smogon and earning it though badges.

Simonn

Banned deucer.
there is a clear disparity in the quality of espathra sets in randbats that lets the calm mind set be level 80 when it really shouldn't be. I heard that randbats does not intentionally nerf a pokemon and therefore i wonder why sets like specs are in the pool given how inferior they are to calm mind. Calm mind speed boost is literally banned to ubers and yet it is allowed to be level 80 in randbats because it is nerfed by how bad the other sets are. Either remove the other sets or remove the broken set.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
there is a clear disparity in the quality of espathra sets in randbats that lets the calm mind set be level 80 when it really shouldn't be. I heard that randbats does not intentionally nerf a pokemon and therefore i wonder why sets like specs are in the pool given how inferior they are to calm mind. Calm mind speed boost is literally banned to ubers and yet it is allowed to be level 80 in randbats because it is nerfed by how bad the other sets are. Either remove the other sets or remove the broken set.
That's not much of a question. Also posts like this are better meant for the Random Battles Section. Specficially this thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/scarlet-violet-random-battle-sets.3712619/

Smogon likes/other reacts in your private messages should count towards your reaction score - why wouldn't they?
Let's say, hypothetically, that 10 people were in a group DM chat, with the goal of farming as many likes as possible. They could make hundreds of post within the group chat and gain thousands of likes under the rest of our noses. The clout economy would be in complete shambles.

C0nfiden1 0yster

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
is a Pre-Contributor
RUPL Champion
hv a question, why is assault vest listed as a popular item in the teambuilder when there are very few users of the item this generation? It is relevant because new players like to use this item on anything and everything even though it is just garbage in most cases. It just confuses new players

Last edited:
Honest question, if I were to put my discord server in my signature or in the website part of my about page, would that break the rule of advertising other sites/communities?

LouisIX

UPL Champion
hi there, My forum name in the showdown server is registered but inactive at all. may I know how to get that user name?

hi there, My forum name in the showdown server is registered but inactive at all. may I know how to get that user name?
if I recall correctly [you want to claim your forum username as your Showdown! username but that name is already registered] you need to be a contributor to Smogon [at which point you're a badgeholder] or a contributor to Showdown.

You can read more about this here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...s-contacting-upper-staff.3538721/post-6227626

hope this helps.

Is there a reason voter ID threads for suspect tests aren't made immediately when the suspect thread is created? I usually get reqs within a couple hours of a test being announced then I have to wait like a week just to log back into the throwaway account and screenshot my GXE, it's annoying

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
How to become a voter in theses suspect threads?
Full details are in the main suspect thread, but to simplify:
Each suspect thread will have a unique "prefix" - the OU Walking Wake suspect, for example, had "OUFR". To qualify for voting, you need to make an account starting with this prefix and play on the metagame's ladder to get a specified GXE/Games Played requirement. Getting these requirements (aka "reqs") gives you the vote.

To qualify for voting, you need to make an account starting with this prefix and play on the metagame's ladder to get a specified GXE/Games Played requirement.
I can't just use my regular account? It's mandatory to be a new account just to the test suspend?
... And also, I don't need to subscribe somewhere before doing this account to a specific test suspend?
And where I can be aware of next tests on the tiers?

Gangsta Spongebob

"Mama I'm a Criminal" - Badass Smoking Caterpillar
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I can't just use my regular account? It's mandatory to be a new account just to the test suspend?
... And also, I don't need to subscribe somewhere before doing this account to a specific test suspend?
And where I can be aware of next tests on the tiers?
You cannot use your regular account, every suspect test requires you to make a new Showdown Account that was created after that suspect had been announced.

As for your other question, I don't know if there is somewhere that announces every suspect, but I've seen the Smogon Happenings thread list many of them - Smogon Happenings -- post here for publicity (YES, YOU) | Page 291 | Smogon Forums.

Not sure whether this falls under the category of simple questions but i don't know any better place to ask, so:

I'm trying to understand how to interpret this part of the General Smogon Global Rules:

Do not flame, insult or otherwise belittle other users for any reasons. Do not spread hate speech or other bigoted views, including racism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, or anything else that may fall under that umbrella. This will be punished extremely harshly. Note that this will be punished regardless of where it happens—if private servers or PMs are reported, you are liable for them just as much as you would be for posting directly on the forums.

(found here just to be clear.) What exactly does Smogon define as a private server? Who is eligible for punishments? Consider the following hypothetical situation:

In a private and personal discord hosted by a a friend or relative of mine, I happen to find out that two of the other people there are also using smogon. After a regular discussion, one of these people (let's call them Person X) starts insulting me using extremely hateful slurs, let's say antisemitic, homophobic or racist ones for the hypothesis. Now I and the third person there save detailed chatlogs and screenshots of this, that can prove that the messages containing slurs relate to the corresponding Smogon-account of Person X. Now I wonder:

a) would Person X face punishments from / across smogon and smogon afffiliated sites in response to this?

if yes, would b) Person X still face punishments if that action was to have happened several years ago or perhaps if
c) instead of having insulted me, they would have insulted another smogon player, and
d) would Person X still face punishments if this had occured in a WhatsApp Group?

So, summarized, can Smogon hold any Smogon user accountable for anything they ever said regardless of platform (discord, whatsapp, instagram, chatzy, whatever) and time and can any sort of chatlog / screenshot of any user breaking the specific mentioned part of the rules be reported?

Thank you for your time if you have read trough all of this.

Luigi

spo.ink/shadowtag
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 27 Championis a Past SPL Champion
a) would Person X face punishments from / across smogon and smogon afffiliated sites in response to this?
yes
if yes, would b) Person X still face punishments if that action was to have happened several years ago or perhaps if
maybe, depends on what was said and how many years ago
c) instead of having insulted me, they would have insulted another smogon player, and
yes
d) would Person X still face punishments if this had occured in a WhatsApp Group?
yes

My account for some reason has the wrong year for my birthdate. It says to contact an administrator, but I’m not sure exactly who to talk to about this

Hello,
I'd like to create a private server to organise/host some tournaments. Thing is, I am not familiar with how servers work from a technical standpoint, and I would like to learn a bit more about it before engaging myself in something I do not understand nor master. Is there any ressource available on the website that would allow me to learn the ropes about that?
Thanks

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)