Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Ilegal stuff is not allowed to be discussed, as per the Global rules.
Ah my mistake, didn't realize that RPG Maker Fangames fell under that, I'll delete my post.
I have no authority whatsoever, but I'm pretty sure that only thing that the rules forbid is directly linking to pirated ROMs. There are multiple threads for romhacks/RPG Maker games in the Orange Islands subforum, so discussion is definitely allowed there.

Edit:
Do not ask for links to emulators or ROMs, provide access to them, or discuss ways to exploit them for personal gain. Let's Plays of Pokémon hacks are fine, but do not provide links.

Where can I find the SS OU Viability Ranking? There was a Generation 8 thread below the SV thread, but I can't find it anymore. Thank you

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Where can I find the SS OU Viability Ranking? There was a Generation 8 thread below the SV thread, but I can't find it anymore. Thank you
you can find them here; for future reference, at the very bottom there's a link for "Thread Cryonics->Closed Forums" where all old gens go once a new generation is fully implemented.

Last edited:
hii, i´m not sure if i can ask this here, but can someone help me, i have to do a team for gen7 with this pokemons: magearna, butterfree, incineroar, turtonator, hariyama and cradily, could someon help me pls

there is one ban that I don't fully understand: king's rock.

this item has been banned in gens 5 8 and 9 but for some reason it is allowed on every other gen.
I understand about gen 4 allowing it because only the last strike of the multy-strike moves has a flinch chance, but why is it legal on gens 6 and 7?
wasn't it banned due to cloyster's 40% flinch chance?

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
there is one ban that I don't fully understand: king's rock.

this item has been banned in gens 5 8 and 9 but for some reason it is allowed on every other gen.
I understand about gen 4 allowing it because only the last strike of the multy-strike moves has a flinch chance, but why is it legal on gens 6 and 7?
wasn't it banned due to cloyster's 40% flinch chance?
King's Rock was quite broken on Cloyster and probably even more on Maushold

King's Rock was quite broken on Cloyster and probably even more on Maushold
maushold didn't exist in gens 8 and 5.
and cloyster was still available at gens 6 and 7 but king's rock wasn't banned there. why wasn't it banned there?

(also I don't think that cloyster abused this item thaaaaaaat much, not compared to dpp jirachi's paraflinch which had 70% chance of success each turn compared to cloyster's 41%. dpp jirachi was very ban worthy.)

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
and cloyster was still available at gens 6 and 7 but king's rock wasn't banned there. why wasn't it banned there?

(also I don't think that cloyster abused this item thaaaaaaat much, not compared to dpp jirachi's paraflinch which had 70% chance of success each turn compared to cloyster's 41%. dpp jirachi was very ban worthy.)
I mentioned Maushold because King's Rock is also banned this generation. As for 6 and 7, I'm not sure. Perhaps the addition of Mega Stones and Z-Crystals invalidated using King's Rock.

There is not always pressure to look at RNG items (King's Rock, Bright Powder, etc.) because their unreliability tends to result in low usage. However, it's implicitly understood that if usage ever picks up (which hurts the competitiveness of the game), they can be banned at will by the council because do not have a legitimate competitive usage. Removing it does not change the metagame beyond removing an unreliable cheese strategy. The only reason it's not banned in Gen 6 and 7 is because nobody spammed King's Rock Cloyster enough to cause an outcry from the userbase.

The situation of Jirachi is incomparable because it is heavily bound into the metagame Gen 4 OU. It cannot simply be removed because it may heavily disrupt an old metagame, so there has to be agreement from the competitive playerbase to take action. From a practical standpoint, it is also easier to find checks which can take an unboosted Iron Head than it is to find checks which can repeatedly take +2 Icicle Spears and Rock Blasts.

In general, is there a particular reason to Smogon disliking complex bans or even bans of a move as opposed to a Pokemon? I understand it's part of "Policy", but is there any actual rationale behind this rule?

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
In general, is there a particular reason to Smogon disliking complex bans or even bans of a move as opposed to a Pokemon? I understand it's part of "Policy", but is there any actual rationale behind this rule?
-You could unban pretty much anything with complex bans
-There probably are billions way to balance a metagame if you include complex bans as an option: tiering policy already often can be a mess, if people also have to debate how a broken threat should be handled it is going to be nightmarish. If a mon is broken, just ban it

What would be the potentially easiest and fastest way to earn one of those Showdown custom sprites with Trainer+Pokemon layout?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 8)