Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - September 2009

I predict Scizor will be a suspect and be moved to ubers. No single pokemon should be able to warp the entire OU metagame like Scizor has, and its impact on the metagame is equal to, and possibly greater than, Garchomp's right now.

As for Heracross, just because it's so outclassed in OU doesn't mean it should be UU at all. If Heracross was ever dropeed down there he would destroy it; just look at what Yanmega did, and it's crap compared to the stag (or whatever sort of beetle a Heracross was made to resemble).

I also think Registeel may become a suspect soon. It and perhaps Milotic and Mismagius, considering the folks down at Smogon get bored. Those three are extremely painful and tiring to go up against...

As for Heracross, just because it's so outclassed in OU doesn't mean it should be UU at all. If Heracross was ever dropeed down there he would destroy it; just look at what Yanmega did, and it's crap compared to the stag (or whatever sort of beetle a Heracross was made to resemble).

I also think Registeel may become a suspect soon. It and perhaps Milotic and Mismagius, considering the folks down at Smogon get bored. Those three are extremely painful and tiring to go up against...
-Heracross will be given a test just like any other Pokemon. Just because your theorymon tells you Heracross is broken doesn't mean it is. Remember how broken Dugtrio was going to be? That certainly came true.

-You clearly aren't playing UU. We just added Froslass, Raikou, Gallade, Alakazam, and Rhyperior to the metagame (and Umbreon, but who cares). Registeel and Milotic are massive set-up bait. They're not becoming suspects this round.

I predict Scizor will be a suspect and be moved to ubers. No single pokemon should be able to warp the entire OU metagame like Scizor has, and its impact on the metagame is equal to, and possibly greater than, Garchomp's right now.

Scizor going to UBER is VERY unlikely. Unlike the days of Garchomp, Scizor not only has checks but things that can pretty much counter him VERY well and they aren't gimmicks. Garchomp in his old days, unlike scizor who is often an annoyance, came in and destroyed the whole teams for those that didn't ALWAYS have garchomp checking pokemons. That's why it wasn't an exaggeration when people carried lead, garchomp, garchomp counter, garchomp counter's counter, and what not in their teams (almost always). Scizor, imho, can only be nominated for its support characteristics and I sitll don't believe it's enough to make him UBER. Just because he's used well in UBERS also is pretty irrelevant as to how well he does in the OU meta (if you were also thinking about that). Well that's my opinion. lol.

if any pokemon in OU had any chance what so ever of being tested it would be either salamence or latias (although latias kind of is already being tested). scizor cannot meet any characteristic whatsoever and every top 5 pokemon has an easy way of dealing with him

Yay. First post. I am new to Smogon, not new to competitive battling.

My predictions 40-50 OU.

I know top 50 is NOT OU, 40-50 is the right part of the OU list to speculate about. Speculating about Salamence or Scizor in UU is pointless. I will state what tier they will probably be in in three months.

Roserade: Will go up, I don't see it going back to UU anytime soon. OU.

Tentacruel: Will remain OU probably. OU.

Hippowdon: Same as above. OU.

Dusknoir: UU soon. With Rotom-A increasing, Dusknoir in UU is a realistic idea. UU.

Ninjask: Could be UU when going down too fast. UU.

Porygon-Z: I see it in UU sweeping with Agility. SubPetaya? UU.

Cresselia: UU soon. Very broken. UU.

Heracross: UU soon. I don't see its usage going up. UU.

Umbreon: Could come back to OU every new tier list, then go down again next time. It just makes it or it just doesn't. UU.

Crobat: With Super Fang increasing, Crobat in OU seems realistic. OU.

Please give your opinion on those Pokémon. Will they be UU or OU next tier list?

Celebi

Yay. First post. I am new to Smogon, not new to competitive battling.

My predictions 40-50 OU.

I know top 50 is NOT OU, 40-50 is the right part of the OU list to speculate about. Speculating about Salamence or Scizor in UU is pointless. I will state what tier they will probably be in in three months.

Roserade: Will go up, I don't see it going back to UU anytime soon. OU.

Tentacruel: Will remain OU probably. OU.

Hippowdon: Same as above. OU.

Dusknoir: UU soon. With Rotom-A increasing, Dusknoir in UU is a realistic idea. UU.

Ninjask: Could be UU when going down too fast. UU.

Porygon-Z: I see it in UU sweeping with Agility. SubPetaya? UU.

Cresselia: UU soon. Very broken. UU.

Heracross: UU soon. I don't see its usage going up. UU.

Umbreon: Could come back to OU every new tier list, then go down again next time. It just makes it or it just doesn't. UU.

Crobat: With Super Fang increasing, Crobat in OU seems realistic. OU.

Please give your opinion on those Pokémon. Will they be UU or OU next tier list?

Celebi
Cresselia, Heracross, and PZ are all debatable in UU. Cresselia walls everything and its brother, while Heracross and PZ are hard-hitting sweepers. One can never say, but I see Heracross and Cresselia becoming BL. PorygonZ may have some trouble dealing with Chansey and Registeel.

I also see Heracross and Cresselia in BL. If I played UU (I play OU and Uber), I would definitely use Cresselia. Porygon-Z deals with Blissey in OU by Hyper Beam. Adaptibility Tri Attack/Hyper Beam might be enough against Chansey. I see Registeel walling Porygon-Z.

Celebi

One thing people need to keep in mind, is that if Cresselia becomes UU, that means Heracross will probably be too. Heracross is one of the best Cresselia 'checks' in the game with STAB Megahorn and that huge Attack stat, so Heracross could very likely balance Cresselia out. Cresselia is also set up fodder for Mismagius which is never a good thing.

Heracross on the other hand is probably even more broken than Gallade given Guts and dual STAB.

Cresselia and Heracross will either be both UU or both BL, because they will enter UU together. Only experience can show how they affect the rest of UU.

Celebi

^I realize this, but all I can think of to check Hera in UU is Weezing and Aerial Ace Nidoqueen. Obviously I can't predict what will happen, but it seems that Hera will be much too difficult to deal with, and with that it departs to BL.

Should that happen, Cressy loses one of its biggest checks, which could influence its own status in turn. We'll see what happens.

Maybe discuss Porygon-Z some more? It will probably be BL. It is too much and breaks the Offensive Characteristic.

Aggron: Will it get rid of its NU status? UU? OU? I think UU is possible, OU is hard and I don't expect it.

Celebi

In a metagame dominated by priority, PZ may find itself having trouble staying in long. While Nasty Plot LO Adaptability Hyper Beam does deal with Chansey, it still has trouble against Registeel, and giving a free turn to something like SubCM / NP Missy is never a good idea.

Mixed PZ could work, but is once again walled by Registeel without HP Fighting. Its a toss-up, IMO.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I also see Heracross and Cresselia in BL. If I played UU (I play OU and Uber), I would definitely use Cresselia. Porygon-Z deals with Blissey in OU by Hyper Beam. Adaptibility Tri Attack/Hyper Beam might be enough against Chansey. I see Registeel walling Porygon-Z.

Celebi
Hyper Beam pory-z is rarely seen ever in OU, (I've never seen it executed personally tbh) I doubt that would be a threat as there are simply too many ghosts that can set up on it in UU or any stat upper tbh, if porygon ever makes it to UU imo a vast majority would use specs tri attack with a pursuiter or two. Or simply some NP+3 attacker set. I do however see porygon-z being dropped down simply because it just doesn't fit in well with the current OU metagame.

^I realize this, but all I can think of to check Hera in UU is Weezing and Aerial Ace Nidoqueen. Obviously I can't predict what will happen, but it seems that Hera will be much too difficult to deal with, and with that it departs to BL.
Honestly, have you ever heard of things like Swellow, Moltres, Scyther? They all outspeed and OHKO. Then you have a whole bunch of Fire-types - Moltres again, Arcanine, Houndoom, Blaziken (Speed Tie) and the Psychic types - Alakazam and Espeon leap to mind.

Then, you have counters, in the loosest sense. Rhyperior can take 2 of Cross's CCs without fainting, Registeel can paralyze it for others, and even stuff like Gallade can revenge kill.

It's not that powerful. Sure, it'll cause waves, but it won't overpower at all.

Any half physical wall with a fire move can stay in on Scizor and expect to come out ontop. Most physical walls had a hard time keeping Garchomp in control, nevermind coming out on top.

The definitive reason I believe Garchomp will be Uber and Scizor will probably never even be considered for a suspect test is that there are certain pokemon that Scizor can not stay in on unless it expects to die. There were no pokemon that could reliable stand in the way of a Garchomp from sweeping.

"Heracross and Cresselia keep each other in balance. One of them UU>That one BL. If they are UU together, they will remain UU." Counters is the only thing people care about when banning Pokémon. Don't forget the Ban Characteristics. Cresselia clearly walls "a significant part of the metagame". I see that even without doing damage calculations. Heracross does "sweep a significant part of the metagame with ease".

Please discuss further looking at the Ban Characteristics, not about being able to counter it.

Sure, a Pokémon without counters probably breaks a Ban Characteristic, but a Pokémon with a counter can still break a Ban Characteristic.

Celebi

1) If Psychic has redaunt coverage with Dragon (thus not good on Latias), what is it even good for? Is it a good defensive type?
2) Should Jynx and Gallade use a Psychic move when sweeping? It prevents Tentacruel from soaking the Ice/Fighting combo...
3) Why is it said Ubers are "more about coverage, less about STAB"? Would Mewtwo like beeing another type? Were Psychic moves this ban in Uber even since G/S/C?

Use the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread next time.

1+2: Check out the new Smog. There's an article on Psychics.
3: It's just that there are so many Psychic-types anyways in Ubers, so it's not very good, since most Pokémon will resist it. Plus, you have to watch out for T-Tar, Darkrai, Scizor, Metagross, and Dialga, among others, as well.

In the Ubers tier, what do Psychic attacks hit? Fighting Arceus, Heracross, and Primeape, but that's it, and they are resisted by so many more Pokemon that its not worth it to use them. People cringe whenever they see Psychic on Mewtwo simply because the standard attack combo of Aura Sphere+Ice Beam hit almost all the targets that Psychic would hit at least as hard (well, maybe not Kyogre or Ho-oh, but after some Calm Minds, it makes no difference.)

Also, twash has a cool SnatchBliss set in the Ubers thread that lets it steal Substitute and Calm Mind from Gira-O and Kyogre and Refresh + Calm Mind from Latias/Latios, letting it defeat them rather than struggling. Definitely worth looking into, especially since Snatch has long been considered a gimmicky move. Granted, it can't provide Wish Support to the team and has a worse matchup against Darkrai, but it still merits consideration.

Code:
|   23 | Tyranitar  |   1496 |
|   24 | Metagross  |   1333 |
|   25 | Jirachi    |   1266 | 
|   26 | Kingdra    |   1118 | 
|   27 | Lucario    |    980 |
|   28 | Bronzong   |    962 | 
|   29 | Manaphy    |    883 |

This is realy interested for me to see.

Bronzong, Lucario, Kingdra, Jirachi, Metagross and Tyranitar as OUs have more Usage than Manaphy Uber.

Code:
|   24 | Ambipom    |    124 |
Yeah awesome, Ambipom is more used as Lead in Uber than Jirachi xD

Some Ubers aren't really useful in Ubers, so its not that surprising, I guess. Case in point:

| 30 | Shedinja | 863 | 3.49 |
| 31 | Ludicolo | 772 | 3.12 |
| 32 | Deoxys-D | 673 | 2.72 |
No one loves Deoxys-D. Since its defensively worse off than Cresselia, it really can't do much Spiking, and it doesn't have access to Forry's lovely set of resistances either.

And for a bit more fun...

| 35 | Primeape | 559 | 2.26 |
Lay off, Gen, that's almost 20 battles per day.

In all seriousness, though, I tested Primeape, and I would really only recommend it for stall teams, who usually take it in the balls from Darkrai. Offensive teams need guys that can hit harder and switch in easier. They also aren't so bothered as much by the Darkrai factor anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)