Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - February & March 2010

Interesting... Stat analysis time!

Developments at the top of the Food Chain

Scizor is losing useage, but still remains #1.

Tyranitar is gaining useage, probobly Scarftar, because just over 25% had scarf in Febuary, while 32% have a Scarf in March!

Heatran took a massive dive in useage. I heard Scarftran was in decline, but it rose from 40% to 41% in March.

Salamance is staying rather put.

Latias useage took a major dive. I think Scarftar's to blame though. And the fact that a pokemon who usually wasn't seen with a Scarf outside of a 'gimmick', has become the #1 set, to Counter Latias, just shows. Remember people, the Uber characteristic is 'A large proportion of the metagame'. Tyranitar alone is not enough to disprove Latias possibly being Uber, if anything, the metagame adptations mirror those to Garchomp.

Rotom-A is also dropping, again, I blame Scarftar.

For some reason, Gyarados took a MASSIVE dive, despite it being rather good vs Scizor, and, if it sets up a DD, being able to deal quite a bit of damage to Scarftar. With Rotom lowering in useage, and Latias, I don't see why Gyarados is dropping like a stone. Maybe people are sick of the same old, same old?

In fact, most of the metagame is dropping. Out of a total of 600% useage [6 pokemon per team], the following accounted for the Top 10:

The Top 10 in Decline? [Rotom -A counts]

January: 205.41 % [1 in 3 Pokemon are from the Top 10]
Contained, in Order: Scizor, Tyranitar, Salamance, Heatran, Latias, Rotom-A, Gyarados, Jirachi, Metagross, Gengar

Febuary: 198.31 %
In Order: Scizor, Tyranitar, Heatran, Salamance, Latias, Rotom-A, Gyarados, Jirachi, Metagross, Gengar

Changes: Heatran overtakes Salamance

March: 192.1%
In Order: Scizor, Tyranitar, Salamance, Heatran, Rotom-A, Latias, Gyarados, Jirachi, Swampert, Metagross

Changes: Heatran and Salamance swap again, Rotom-A overtakes Latias.

In a 3 month period, the Top 10 have lost 13.31% in useage. A 3 month period of shrinking, in finance, is a recession, so, has the Big 10 hit a recession? Is OU becoming less centralised around the Big 10?

Don't the next teir lists come into force soon? I wonder where certain pokemon will place... speaking of, time for the Borderlines:

OU/UU Border:

Using Rank 49 as a guideline, as there are currently 49 OU's. I shall take 3 from each way, as the 'danger area' Rotom Formes are discounted, making the cut-off 50.

45: Heracross [OU]
46: Umbreon [UU]
47: PorygonZ [UU]
-
-
50: Alakazam [UU]
51: Cressellia [UU]
52: Abomasnow [UU]
53: Crobat [UU]

Dosn't look like any real changes from UU and OU, except maybe the return of Umbreon... wish he'd make up his mind.

UU/NU Border:

Looking at where the two start to blend, remember, UU currently has 54, so anything above that is suspect to rise, and anything below is at risk of falling. Anything in the 'blend' region is at risk.

50: Miltank [Highest NU, will probobly rise (Thank Goodness)]
51: Regirock [UU, may fall, but will probobly stay put]
52: Electrode [NU, may Rise, a final kick to Rain Dance in NU]
53: Hitmonlee: [UU, may fall [As if NU needs more fighters]]
54: Jumpluff: [Currently NU, could go either way]
55: Nidoking: [UU, at risk, lowest UU]
56: Goyrebass: NU

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sure some of you know that I'm the biggest advocate for OU Claydol leads there is. If not, check the February lead statistics. :P

Glad to see Weavile and Electivire are still safely OU. They're terribly underrated for their usefulness. One is a certified dragon/revenge killer while the other is basically an insta-sweeper. What's not to like?

Heracross is inching dangerously close to UU. If it does make it there, I'll give it a week before it's banned. I've tried to use it in OU these days out of intrigue and it's still one of the best damn wall-breakers there is. I'm not sure why more people aren't using it.

Dugtrio da best. Needs to return to OU to combat these scarftar.

Look for Machamp to hop into top 10 leads by next month.

Great job once again Doug.

UU/NU Border:

Looking at where the two start to blend, remember, UU currently has 54, so anything above that is suspect to rise, and anything below is at risk of falling. Anything in the 'blend' region is at risk.

50: Miltank [Highest NU, will probobly rise (Thank Goodness)]
51: Regirock [UU, may fall, but will probobly stay put]
52: Electrode [NU, may Rise, a final kick to Rain Dance in NU]
53: Hitmonlee: [UU, may fall [As if NU needs more fighters]]
54: Jumpluff: [Currently NU, could go either way]
55: Nidoking: [UU, at risk, lowest UU]
56: Goyrebass: NU
I really want to see Jumpluff and Gorebyss rise. It seems wherever Electrode goes, Gorebyss follows behind closely since it relies heavily on Electrode's rain.

I'm sure some of you know that I'm the biggest advocate for OU Claydol leads there is. If not, check the February lead statistics. :P

Glad to see Weavile and Electivire are still safely OU. They're terribly underrated for their usefulness. One is a certified dragon/revenge killer while the other is basically an insta-sweeper. What's not to like?

Heracross is inching dangerously close to UU. If it does make it there, I'll give it a week before it's banned. I've tried to use it in OU these days out of intrigue and it's still one of the best damn wall-breakers there is. I'm not sure why more people aren't using it.
About, Weavile and Heracross, it's actually crazy to think that the top 15 was once:

1. Blissey
2. Garchomp
3. Gyarados
4. Gengar
5. Tyranitar
6. Salamence
7. Weavile
8. Heracross
9. Metagross
10. Skarmory
11. Forretress
12. Starmie
13. Infernape
14. Bronzong
15. Cresselia

Infact, it's weird to think that Cresselia was once #9, but now it's not even standard!

About, Weavile and Heracross, it's actually crazy to think that the top 15 was once:

1. Blissey
2. Garchomp
3. Gyarados
4. Gengar
5. Tyranitar
6. Salamence
7. Weavile
8. Heracross
9. Metagross
10. Skarmory
11. Forretress
12. Starmie
13. Infernape
14. Bronzong
15. Cresselia

Infact, it's weird to think that Cresselia was once #9, but now it's not even standard!
Things really have changed...before 4th Gen, Kingdra wasn't OU. Vaporeon started out UU and moved up a tier every generation though it's probably capped at OU. Still, it's surprising the changes within a generation.

Thanks for the stats. Scarftar rising so much was to be expected. What surprised me was the fact that swampert is aproaching the #1 lead spot tough. I like it.

Thanks a lot Doug! Been waiting for this for what feels like years.

I believe the cut-off point is 3.4%. Using that, and assuming no major shifts in April, let's see...

Heracross: Will stay OU (thankfully, we don't need that in UU)
Umbreon: Could go either way. Very slightly above the cutoff in March, but quite a bit below it in February. Time will tell.
Miltank: Will move up to UU.
Hitmonlee: Will stay UU.
Electrode: Will move up to UU.
Jumpluff: Will move up to UU (haven't seen this one at all; to be honest this surprises me quite a bit)
Nidoking: May fall to NU. Tough case to call.
Nidoqueen: NU. Not even close.
Drifblim: Again, NU easily.

Things really have changed...before 4th Gen, Kingdra wasn't OU. Vaporeon started out UU and moved up a tier every generation though it's probably capped at OU. Still, it's surprising the changes within a generation.
Yes. Infact it's strange to think that all those years ago, when I first came to Smogon, Pokemon such as Venusaur, Tauros, Rhydon, Dusclops, Exeggutor, Magneton, Regice, Slaking, Gardevoir, Charizard and Claydol were standard!

Well, I suppose Venusaur is still having great success, being #1 in UU for like half a year and everything, and Claydol is okay but the rest have all disappeared into nothingness!

1. Blissey
2. Garchomp

3. Gyarados
4. Gengar
5. Tyranitar
6. Salamence
7. Weavile
8. Heracross
9. Metagross
10. Skarmory
11. Forretress
12. Starmie
13. Infernape
14. Bronzong
15. Cresselia

Wait wait wait, there was a time when Garchomp was in Standard and it wasn't Number 1? It wasn't at 70 odd %?

I mean, the first stats I could find in the archive, July 08, had this order:

Garchomp
Gengar
Gyarados
Lucario
Heatran
Deyoxys - E
Blissey
Metagross
Heatran
Tyranitar

So where you're pulling stats from is beyond me, because Garchomp was #1 right up until he was banned.

Thanks a lot Doug! Been waiting for this for what feels like years.

I believe the cut-off point is 3.4%. Using that, and assuming no major shifts in April, let's see...

Heracross: Will stay OU (thankfully, we don't need that in UU)
Umbreon: Could go either way. Very slightly above the cutoff in March, but quite a bit below it in February. Time will tell.
Miltank: Will move up to UU.
Hitmonlee: Will stay UU.
Electrode: Will move up to UU.
Jumpluff: Will move up to UU (haven't seen this one at all; to be honest this surprises me quite a bit)
Nidoking: May fall to NU. Tough case to call.
Nidoqueen: NU. Not even close.
Drifblim: Again, NU easily.
Yea...Jumpluff in NU is quite surprising considering its places in the generations before. It was OU in Gen2 and BL in Gen3 so let's only bring it down one tier and end Gen4 with Jumpluff being UU.

Wait wait wait, there was a time when Garchomp was in Standard and it wasn't Number 1? It wasn't at 70 odd %?

I mean, the first stats I could find in the archive, July 08, had this order:

Garchomp
Gengar
Gyarados
Lucario
Heatran
Deyoxys - E
Blissey
Metagross
Heatran
Tyranitar

So where you're pulling stats from is beyond me, because Garchomp was #1 right up until he was banned.
Yep, infact I'm seeing some quite shocking things looking through the old stats. Deoxys-E was originally quite close to UU!!

And yes, back in 2007 (and to be honest, probably the 5 years before that too XD) Blissey was the most used Pokemon, more used than Garchomp.

http://shoddybattle.com/stats

stats from october of 2007. boy things have changed
I found this thread where we all discussed the November 2007 statistics.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32851

There's some funny posts actually. Everybody whining that Blissey was #1, Cresselia was #9, Gyarados being the most used lead, etc. :D

And everybody, including me wondering if we could get moveset and item stats too. If only we knew.

Anyway, I'm going to discuss the current stats from now on.

40.8% of Chansey in UU use Stealth Rock!? I guess since it can't use Ice Beam...

I'm serious! The changes are just O.O
Next Gen, things are going to change even more and we're going to look back and laugh and say things like (just an example so Breloom fans don't get mad) "Remember when Breloom was OU in DPPt? How'd that happen?" or "Remember when Xatu was NU and now it's a crazy butcher in OU!"

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks a million Doug, you rock!

Nothing much to say except that I would be extremely mad if Umbreon shifted to OU.

Venusaur is just so versatile and useful, so naturally it'd stay number one. Milotic surprised me though. I knew it'd be top five poke but I didn't expect it to be 2, but I guess people are that scared of Moltres. Clefable, Mesprit, and Rotom took big jumps up, and sadly quite a few good pokes fell. Slowbro and Weezing that low is depressing, because they're very useful pokes, but I guess if something doesn't counter Moltres or Raikou it's useless nowadays. Also, why is Hitminlee that low?!?! Cress is gone and it drops? That doesn't make any sense. I suggest people try out the substitute set because choice isn't the only thing Lee can do. Lastly, finally Jumpluff starts climbing to UU where it belongs.

I expect large rises for Altaria and Torterra next month, and just wanna say a nice F U to and Froslass.

Thanks a million Doug, you rock!

Nothing much to say except that I would be extremely mad if Umbreon shifted to OU.
Yeah, Umbreon does seem to fluctuate a lot.

Well, I suppose a lot of other Pokemon fluctuate in a similar fashion, but Umbreon happens to be doing it around the standard/UU cut-off.

Wow, thanks for the stats DougJustDoug.

Look for Machamp to hop into top 10 leads by next month.
Yup, this will definately happen as it really beats all of the other leads in the current metagame.

Yeah, Umbreon does seem to fluctuate a lot.

Well, I suppose a lot of other Pokemon fluctuate in a similar fashion, but Umbreon happens to be doing it around the standard/UU cut-off.
It could go into BL but the problem is that BL is so small that it's hardly a tier and everything in BL is pretty much stuck to being used in OU. If 35+ Pokemon are in BL, I guess it could be a full-fledged tier. Right now we have 9. That's nowhere close to running on its own. OU has 49 and UU has 54.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Moltres goes from #18 to #4 in one month. And who cares if bl is a tier or not...? It isn't supposed to be a tier, it's a banlist, and bl status is determined by power in uu and not how it would affect bl. It's the ubers of uu.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It could go into BL but the problem is that BL is so small that it's hardly a tier and everything in BL is pretty much stuck to being used in OU. If 35+ Pokemon are in BL, I guess it could be a full-fledged tier. Right now we have 9. That's nowhere close to running on its own. OU has 49 and UU has 54.
Completely wrong. BL is a banlist for UU. Its not a tier and no place for a pokemon like Umbreon.

Protip people: STOP USING UMBREON IN OU!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)