Finals Smogon Premier League XII - Finals [Won by the Wi-Fi Wolfpack]

Status
Not open for further replies.

John W

Banned deucer.
GGs wolfpack, grats on the hard-fought win. Major respect to Tony for always drafting a competitive team, ABR for his dedication, and Star for being the best player in the tour. Happy for my friends on pack

Thanks for the season tyrants, I had a lot of fun getting to team w marcop, cbb, christo, and rey again while meeting some new people. Gotta give it up to Tricking for giving me the 3 attacks hp ice heatran idea to build around in tiebreak. Easily one of the most stressful games I've ever played and to have someone more experienced giving me feedback was reassuring (rain woulda destroyed too kek). Last thing, I gotta give a shoutout to 100p and eo for grinding games w me whenever. You guys were amazing all season and this tiebreak doesn't change that

1617479818232.png

Rumor

when bae sees your sketchers light up
ggs wolfpack! you guys were extremely well put together and i'm happy that we were able to have such a spicy finals.

well tyrants, we had a good run boys. we truly experienced the highest highs and the lowest lows this season and i wouldn't have wanted it any other way. you guys proved yourselves week after week and you never gave up, which is super admirable and I am blessed to have been on this team.

thank you to reyscarface and PDC for hiring me as your Supervisor of Morale. you guys took a chance on an Among US main and I am unwaveringly appreciative of the both of you.

major shoutouts to Gilbert arenas, CrashinBoomBang, and Christo who consistently got the team riled up. you guys truly are the loudest mouths on smogon and you absolutely prove your worth with your play. thanks for being goats

elodin simultaneously the most positive and the most negative member at any given circumstance. you made my life hell so respectfully ligma

lastly, shoutout my boy Eo Ut Mortus. you took me under your wing this season and for that, i'm so fkn thankful. you don't get nearly enough credit for all the work and time and care you put into smogon and I hope one day people will recognize that. talent and good vibes exude from you buddy. thanks for making me and all the tyrants happy, and I hope we made you happy too.

GGS
823996796170403883.png

congrats wolfpack. happy my boys star and kev finally grabbed the red. star youre easily one of the best players on the site and im proud of you

good run to the tyrants as well, 3 back to back finals is no easy feat and something to be proud of as well, especially when you guys were 1 away from the trophy

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
congrats pack you guys definitely deserved it. us throwing 4 games in finals is not deserving of a win.

i have been playing this game for over a decade now, and made it to spl finals for the first time since i was a sophomore in high school. now, i'm a senior in college. time sure does fly when you're playing pokemon. when we made finals this year we had so much momentum coming off the win against the cryos -- i was absolutely sure we were gonna do it. my only regret is not being as domineering as i could have been in finals w/ regards to some team selection and team mechanics. after last season's debacle, i wanted to really be the ideal manager that led the team to victory. didn't end up turning out that way of course, but i like to think i did better this year than the last, where i was just drunk all the time and putting 100 lines a week into the team chat in #gamediscussion.

not sure if i want to manage again, or play again, but seeing my team play and get heckled / lose really fueled a fire inside of me. i understand legitimate grievances with some of the tyrants' members (i have made no excuses for those), but man, some of you are just so fucking insufferable. our little gimmick of being loud-mouths who shittalk anything that moves pales in comparison to the deranged sycophancy and synthesized irrelevance typed out into the smogtours chat. it takes a special kind of stupid to be bad at a game like pokemon and then project on actually good players. sucks.

either way, this season was fun as hell, even if it didn't turn out the way i wanted it to.

eo - from the very beginning me rey and john wanted to pick you as the centerpiece of our team. you have done well all season, and even though the final game wasn't what any of us wanted, i can't fault you for messing up in probably the biggest game of your career. you were a great chat presence and a carryover from the cryos last season, which made drafting you all the more special. i think i really tried harder this season because of you, knowing that you would be the only person able to consistently critique my managerial skill across the two seasons. i wish i could have helped you in ss more, but that metagame very clearly isn't mine (too old i guess). don't let it get you down.

john w - the finals TB game was probably the best game anybody on our team played the entire spl. that matchup was absolutely fucking dreadful, and you somehow found a way to pull it out from the jaws of team preview defeat. you literally could not make a single mistake that game, and had to play to your outs every single time. incredibly impressive performance which gave us the hope we needed to carry on throughout finals. i knew from the second i saw your stour game vs star that i wanted to draft / play alongside you + starry because of how entertaining it would be, and i was damn right. we'll get em next year, or something i hope. maybe i can even play for midwest....

100p - lol get wrecked pussy. nah, another amazing player who pulled off a legendary record this season. the triple SS core we lined up was unequivocally the most staked CG lineup i have ever played with in spl. literally unfuckwitable. anyway, craig you were a very fun guy to team with, and i am super glad we ended up breaking the bank for you early on. i know you have a bit of reputation, and maybe some of it's deserved, but i would have probably reacted the same way to chirpers if they decided to pipe up after i just lost a finals tiebreak game.

rey - i think since we've been on smogon we have both been in the same circles, but never brushed that close. i think we went through a cycle of being enemies/friends over the past decade, and now we're finally solidified under doctor-patient confidentiality. but seriously, i couldn't have picked somebody better to manage with. unlike some other managers who take shit way too seriously, we never forgot to have fun with it. next season maybe we can do it again, or you can just draft me for a CG OU slot and see how it goes. either way, the team we put together was fucking elite and our draft plan was second-to-none. we got everybody we wanted. night and day from last year where i felt like i had to scramble last second.

omfuga - even though you quit, you're one of my best friends on this site and i can't stay mad at you for long. i knew picking you up might go south if people didn't provide the support you needed, but i took the chance for cheap anyway. even though this may be your last tour (for good this time), your legacy lives on. beating tamahome week 1 was an incredible come back story, and i know that if we just provided a bit more you would have been in the lineup every single week. maybe i'll pick up melee someday.

elodin - SEASONED SAVED. WE SOLVED BW. forget finch, we really were the brains behind bw's evolution this season. i swear to god every tech anybody fucking used in bw this season we thought of first, just a shame we're too shitty bw builders to actually have put them in action before everybody else. teaming with you and watching you build reminded me of myself when i still played. i would scramble for a team last second and demand my team help me, only to throw all their ideas back in their face. sometimes it was frustrating, but most of the time it was really entertaining. we made some cool shit this season, especially during the latter stages. now you just need to invite me to that work call of yours.

spies - i forgot who it was between originally, but i remember when me + marco played you after seeing your signup post we had to pick you up for a cheap 3k. nobody else was going to touch you anyway. rby is such a crapshoot, and i figured that it was worthwhile picking up somebody who had such a notorious skillcap back in the day -- if it didn't work out, who cares? spending money on rby is only worth it if you're buying troller. anyway, i know the season didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, but at the same time you probably got the most unlucky out of any rbyer all fucking season. watching your games were disappointing because of how consistently i knew we'd get lucked IN RBY, which is saying something. stick around for world cup, i'm sure some team would want to pick you up if oldgens are included.

marco - i should just post the picture of you vomiting into that wastebasket here. you know how it is. we need to drink more before i go off somewhere else. we also both need to quit this game. more addicting than any of the substances we used.

sadly - gonna be honest, i drafted you mostly because i wanted somebody to do my spanish homework for me. not even joking, this is actually why i pushed for you over some other advers. safe to say it worked out well for me. anyway, you put in enormous effort this szn in adv and in chat in general, and it's gonna be sad to see the presence dissipate in the coming weeks. don't worry, i'll still be highlighting you and the rest of the spanish gang for my homework for the next 2 months. i don't give up that easy ;)

sab - the only other guy from us east besides marco, we knew you'd be active and help out when needed. i know the season didn't go the way you wanted to, and i may have been overly harsh sometimes, but i still think your star will rise one day. for every game i think prep was spot on, it just comes down to the turn-by-turn decisions. i anticipate seeing your growth for this wcop szn....

conflict - last time we teamed was....spl8. 4 fucking years ago now. when we got you for gsc and mdragon finally let you go, i knew we'd have a wild ride. even though sometimes you caused trouble, you were invariably ready to help the team at the drop of a hat. especially in bw and sm, two tiers which we definitely needed the most help in. i honestly don't think there is a single better gscer on this site, and you showed that in many of your games. i don't think anybody understands the tier as well as you, or can wield such unbelievable shit as well. seriously, ursaring? kang? alll that stuff seems so wild to me, i don't know how you do it. anyway, you better give me some of that heat for classic in the coming months, because you know damn well i'm gonna need it. maybe next year we can team up again under the same banner.

cbb - this image pretty much sums up our relationship of the season
pdick.png

teaming with you was going to be a challenge. at least i thought it would be, given how we haven't really ever been on good terms. glad to say that shit is all washed away now. you're an incredible player and came up with some absolutely fire stuff this season. i never felt like you would make the wrong play in any games, and only expected losses when you were lucked or 100-0'd by some bullshit matchup. oras is a madhouse now but you're the mental patient needed to guide it. you said this would be your last team tour, but if you change your mind i'll throw another 20k for the draft next season.

rumor - great chat presence and one of our original "must-buys" for our sub slots. even though you didn't really play, you were always around for a chat. it's guys like you which made the actual discord so fun, because it allowed us to have conversations beyond just pokemon.

christo - the 3k wonder (close enuff). putting you in dpp was seen as a sketchy pick by the rankers, but you performed really well for the price / experience. dpp is a crapshoot sometimes (esp now) and i knew we just wanted a solid player to put in the slot. you evolved a lot over the season, and i am really proud of the stuff we came up with. after that week 1 game i knew we would be on a good track going forward. i should have been more diligent during the midseason slump / finals i suppose, but either way we put in enormous amounts of work. next year i anticipate you returning to the tier with me by your side, well, maybe. idk yet. either way good shit.

+ thanks to roro tricking juan niko blight and gorgie for helping

i sacrificed my literal cock for this season don't ever say i'm not a good manager again. draft me next year tyrants. or see you all for classic.

I just want to thanks the Tyrants for a really fun season and for trusting me with ADV support. It was really fun and Gilbert arenas is an amazing player to work with. :heart:
Really happy we had such a good run (even if the ending was bittersweet), you guys never gave up and I think that is what motivated the team to keep trying even after some hard weeks! I'm sure all of you will end up winning this tour in the future.

s/o UD McMeghan for the ADV help too <3

Finally, I want to congrats the Wolfpack for an amazing performance all season.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
what an incredible tournament. from week 1 onwards this team just had a winning aura around it. not once did i doubt we would win. not once did i feel like we were in a bad spot. we've started more weeks down than with a lead and yet i still felt it was fine, no matter what the score was. i knew i had the most clutch motherfuckers around me. the amount of talent on this team... literally everyone contributed so much. i knew i could trust every slot to bring a win. how often can you say that about a team? how often do you have a team where every individual is a fucking legend? not only from a pokemon playing perspective either. the atmosphere was always good. not one instance of friction. it was a feel good place and it would have been a good time to hang out in the server even if it wasn't for a team tournament. i can't stress enough how much of a pleasure this tournament is and how much respect i have for every single one of my teammates. i don't think i can imagine a better team to play spl with than what i got.

it's time to pay the due respect to my managers, tony and kevin. you drafted an incredible team. all of this is essentially your judgement call being the right call. all of this only happened cause you knew who to get and what to say when it mattered. no better managerial duo out there.

BKC Dragon Tail. this has been our third spl together and 4th official team tour in general. i can't stress enough how i appreciate your trust in me and my skills. it says a lot that you're still out there to get me even after a long absence and without a guarantee that i'd be back in shape. you've got me for my first spl ever and through that and through spending time with you i learned so much. i wouldn't be half the player i am without you. you taught me a no-nonsense approach to mons, but to still be creative when it matters. it's a shame that we don't get to see you compete, cause you're such an incredible pokemon mind. it showed during preparation with you. every idea we came up with, every team that i presented to you. you always found ways to make it better. you found ways to build with combinations of mons that looked impossible to turn into a real team. you found solutions to problems with teams that i didn't think were solvable. your teambuilding skills carried my ass. it took out all the pressure, cause i knew, even if i didn't have a good team ready the day of the game, you'd be there to craft something out of nothing and i knew it would always end up being good. cause you're fucking amazing. massive brain. your contributions to this win can't be overstated.

TonyFlygon Twister. you're the coach. you're what a team needs to stay in the right mindset. you've got the team managing skills needed to win. i would be willing to play for you, even if you didn't know a thing about mons, just for your people managing skills. always picked the right time to shoot a pm, always picked the right words and always there to make fun of abr. ready to bring scouts, ready to give input. not shy of putting in the work, no matter if mons or mindset related. big boy mentality right there. you've got a career i competitive sports with that mindset that you have dude. i appreciate the trust and buying me. i hope you think it was worth it as much as i think it was worth being drafted.

talah Eternabeam (more Lisa). i didn't think it was possible for someone to be as active building teams and contributing to the teams mood as you were. not only did you build countless team, every single one was quality. i knew you were a good builder from stealing your team to use it in ost finals, but i didn't know you were literally incapable of making a bad team. and the playing too omg. always the right trigger pulled. i don't know where you take the energy to build that much and play that well after all the lisa enthusiasm. it must take energy to be that hype about a person literally every breathing second. and even though i will never understand what made you do that dragonite switch it takes a big fucking person with courage to then step it up in the tiebreak like you did. it's testament to your skill that i did not doubt that you would win the tiebreaker, regardless of what happened before that. you've really grown onto me and i will never forget teaming up with you. thanks for being such a good teammate, being a friend. just being someone to talk to and all of everything. you're fucking amazing. stay rocking it.

Tace Dragon Energy. another essential part of the fairy gens core that did so well. it's just so nice to see you play and overcome really difficult match ups, like you did in semis. my favourite part of your whole season was how it felt like you kept improving with every week. 6 big wins, every one of them mattered. i will never forget your game against bbeeaa with that amazing dracozolt and you getting so much mileage out of it. true display of skill. i wish you all the best in every of your remaining games.

Bloody alfa Max Wyrmwind. key moment of the season was us fusing into alfa mael. i'll be honest, i didn't know much about you before this spl but god damn it brother did you impress me. especially that game week 2 against luthier. the amount of balls it takes to make all the plays you made and to win with a team designed like that, you must be dragging your balls on the ground. and then in semis you did it again. staying in on that dragapult like a mad fucking lad. what a win dude. luthier will be having ptsd at every alpha sign he sees for the rest of his life. 6 big wins, every single one more spectacular than the other. such a joyful spirit to have around and always there to motivate the team. keep fucking going dude, you got the courage to do whatever you want.

Relous HP Dragon. Mr. Clinical. your gameplay was astounding. essentially a free win, as long as the match up is not an autoloss. the patience, the planning and the dick and brain to make the right plays. i think you've been one of my favourites to watch, simply cause of how surgical you played. i felt like at the later stages of the tour the opponents knew they'd need to start beating you in the teambuilder cause it wouldn't happen in the game. you ran into dual pursuit + magnezone in finals and you didn't get a single mon trapped. how skillful does one have to be to do that? what a tournament you've had dude. the only thing better than your season was the way you roasted abr. with this performance you've left an imprint and i will always remember you as the reliable win that you are.

Dragon Claw dude, what a pleasure teaming with you. your trust in my skill kept me going at times. but more than that your extensive knowledge of oras just fucking blew me away. you know the metagame inside out, upside down and in any other fucking way imaginable. i LOVED every team you brought and i can't say i've ever liked oras teams at all. my second favourite moment was you bringing a 2015 team with manectric, talonflame and shit and that just being the perfect fucking call. but oh my fucking fuck dude nothing will top that semifinals game that you played. what a pivotal moment of the tournament. we were down at that moment, i had my worst loss of the tournament and it was looking bleak. then you just did That. we've had many good players and many good games but nothing left me as speechless as you winning that against all odds. without that we lose the tournament. you've got that on your shoulders and your numbers don't show that. wouldn't want anyone else playing oras for my team than you. you made our server into your shrine. please maintain that love for the tier, you're the first one to get me interested in oras in years. i love you.

GaryTheGengar Roar of Time. Gary the Carry. The Surgeon. I was not prepared for you to be that good man. You've been our last game more often than not and it was good going to bed on a sunday 9pm, like a Healthy European (unlike the Smogon Europeans xD) and knowing that our decisive game will come down to you. knowing i can rely on you to bring it home. Feels like all you need is a team that lets you play and you fucking get it. and then you overcame the cloyster too. thanks for the input in dpp too, it was helpful. glad we could team up.

Star Spacial Rend. the motherfucking mvp of the tournament. your skill level is far from reasonable. you Farmed that adv pool and then when it was time to step up in another tier you did it in such a convincing fashion. i don't think anyone else wins that finals tie break. i don't think i'd want anyone else have the last and most decisive game of the season rely on than you. you're a fucking free win, no matter what tier. you just don't mess up and you have the dick to make the move necessary to win. who fucking freeze dries turn one into scarf-fini when kyurem is that crucial? you do, cause you know that's how you win that game. legend. no amount praise comes close to being appropriate for your skill. fucking hero. you deserve this trophy and many more.

ABR Clangorous Soul. 36KARATWOLF. Breezy. :noabr: as much as we all mocked you all tournament for your own record you carried this team to an insane extent. i've teamed up with almost all of the great ones of this game but never with you, so i got really excited when i saw that we were on the same team. it's always been very interesting for me to see inside your working process, cause i always thought your approach to mons was the most sensible one. and i was right. you've got such a brain for this game. you understand consistency in mons better than anyone else and it's incredible. no record will tell the story of how your input on team choices and your teambuilding got us countless wins and helped us not fall into inconsistent patterns. you've been the stability that this team needed in how zen you were. you also were responsible for my win against snofall by essentially creating the team that then went on to win 6-0. i valued your input a lot. thanks for that. it was Such a pleasure to team up. not only on a mons level but also on a personal level. you're such a chill guy. dude i have no doubt that you'll eventually end up being considered the greatest of all time, with no discussion around it anymore. your legacy gon be huge.

SMB Dragon Rage. my brother we started out synchronised af. we went for a shit start and then kinda turned it around mid season. your record doesn't represent your skill at all. you've been very unlucky and it's hard to judge you on that. but even though you've been unlucky you've also been willing to put in the effort and do the work. and no matter how your regular season went you got the win in finals when it mattered. you've gotta keep the best game for the end bro and what a game it was. thanks for teaming up, i think you'll have a great career in rby and i wish you all the success you can get.

Leru Dual Chop. my namefellow and my brother. your contribution to this cannot be underestimated. you've been the driving factor of our chat imo always keeping it alive when it mattered and always there to make sure the atmosphere was there. i can't believe you beat the entire emerald game with a single level 5 treecko you crazy person. thanks for all the tests. it's a shame you didn't get to play more cause i know how clinical and smart your playing can be. and your record isn't representative at all. i am a thousand percent sure with more games you would've turned it into a good one. you know a team has to be fucking insane to have someone like you on the bench.

TPP Draco Meteor. dude you've grown onto me so much. you're such a wholesome person and so helpful and always there to lighten up the mood. i can't describe how happy i am to have teamed with you. so much that i stole your colour at some point during the tour rofl. you were definitely crucial to our fairygens success as much as the starting players were. willing to put in work and make that work count too and then still be able to causally reach semis of ost while doing all of that for our team is insane. you were there instantly with the scouts when it was needed. you were there to give input on teams and do whatever the fuck was necessary for us to win. i have no doubt you will eventually get either an individual or several more team trophies. you're worth every penny spent on you and more than that. i love you.

Quaze Core Enforcer. another player on a bench that you would assume to be a starter with how good he is. i have a lot of respect for you as a player and it's a shame that you didn't get to show off a little more, but sadly there is a limited amount of games to be played. but yet you've been there for the team like a starter, always ready to get hyped and always ready to support. and always ready to post your fucking monotype tournament post for us to like right after we win spl. thanks for all of everything man, it's been a blast.

shawyu 1313 Dragon Pulse (Use Timer). shaWyu. No 41 st. what a great person to have on a team. we've played many many tests against each other and even though we ended up putting gary the carry in the bw slot you've been nothing but useful and brought some crucial wins and even when you had your own teams to prepare you were ready to play tests with me whenever i needed and i massively appreciate that. your input was hella valiable. outside of your help in mons it was just good to have your presence cause of how nice and friendly and how much of a fucking bro you are.

onto all of the people who weren't officially on the team (though i honestly couldn't tell with how invested all of you were).

Bouff Devastating Drake. dude you've been a fucking legend. i've played more tests with you than anybody else and you've been crucial to my wins as well as to my mental health by preventing me from losing my shit in the teambuilder not knowing if my teams were good enough in certain match ups. you deserve a trophy as much as anyone else on this team and it's a shame you're not gonna get it. but we all know what you did for us. you're such a homie and i wish you all the best forever. you carried me as much as all of my other teammates did.

Mana Dynamax Cannon. my kaizo nuzlocke brother. i've always respected you so much as a player and even though i love watching you play (you've got the flair of ndomballer) i am glad you didn't sign up, cause we woulda missed out on so much fun without you in the chat. you've ended up being such a good homie and i really enjoy every interaction we have (even if you support the wrong team, but i can forgive you for that). we share a lot of interests i think and you're so smart that talking about those with you is always worth it. i can't wait to see you play again (i know you will). i adore you man, please stay as you are <3

col49 Dragon Rush. you've done nothing but shitpost, but god damn it, was it excellent shitpost. i am sure you're well aware of how much i like you and think that you're an incredible Cool Guy(tm). another person you just want to have around cause you need to have a good atmosphere. i also admire your ability to always make the right music recommendation when i need one. you literally have a 100% success rate, nobody has that. impressive af. i do wonder how you have time to listen to all of that music and then still watch enough movies to nerd out with kevin, but i assume it's precisely the time that we other nerds invest in mons rofl. god damn it you're a legend. stay fresh man.

Excal Scale Shot. you came in clutch for finals and provided a team that essentially guaranteed a win. it's my favourite heavy offense and i thank you a lot for creating it and helping me do the prep for the finals game. massively appreciated. also love nerding out about dpp with you. you love the tier at least as much as i do, which is honestly a task. you're a hero.

Heroic Troller Dragon Hammer. dude you're such a brain for rby, you can in helpful af and i have so much respect for the way you play mons. i always knew you were good but you keep getting better god damn it. thanks homie.

there's also been a bunch of people that were super helpful to me even though they weren't in the server and it would be unfair not to mention them. big thanks to Quaggster and mbh for playing countless tests with me and providing input on my teams. you've been my saviours when i felt desperate cause all of my teammates were americans or asleep during my mornings. Tomahawk Fakes august BluBirD252 snøfall and all of the dpp community in general (i probably could list all of you haha). such a good community to have with so many brilliant minds. this dpp pool was such a pleasure to watch and i loved watching the games as much as i enjoyed playing. it's been a fucking joyride. i also have to give shoutouts to my family dark_psiana, lohgock, lockheeed, iZocker, jonas. i love all of you bigtime and again, i'd be lost in life without you.

let us howl wolves. AWOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

Hiro'

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
RoA Leader
Grats Wolfpacks, you've had such a great season you really deserved that one
I'm particularly happy to see Gary, BKC, Star, Tony, mael and talah with the red

Great season once again Tyrants, i'm sure you'll get it eventually. The CG core was insanely good and quite enjoyable to watch
Major props to CBB, I've never enjoyed watching ORAS but with your matches, I really hope you'll stick around to bless us with your creativeness and your plays

Looking forward to WCop and Classic now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)