Smogon Premier League XI - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the eleventh iteration of SPL, SPL XI. In this tournament, 10 teams containing the best players on Smogon (and starry) play against each other and duke it out every week, attempting to gather as many wins as they can to reach playoffs. Some of them will fail, while others will bloom. Whatever the case, the matches will be exciting, so without further ado, here are tournament rules and the matchups!

Tournaments Rules and General Guidelines

Matchups

Dragonspiral Tyrants (2) vs (10) Alpha Ruiners

SS OU: TDK vs FLCL
SS OU: CTC vs mncmt
SS OU: Christo vs Empo
SS DOU: marilli vs qsns
SS LC: Luthier vs Shrug
SM OU: blunder vs Gondra
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs xImRaptor
BW OU: John W vs Caetano93
DPP OU: The Grand Babido vs Emeral
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs Alexander.
GSC OU: gorgie vs FriendOfMrGolem120
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Hyogafodex

Cryonicles (3) vs (8) Congregation of the Classiest

SS OU: Sacri' vs suapah
SS OU: obii vs blarghlfarghl
SS OU: Updated Kanto vs Insult
SS DOU: Tman vs DaWoblefet
SS LC: shawyu 1313 vs Serene Grace
SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Relous
ORAS OU: Garay oak vs Persephone
BW OU: Finchinator vs Raiza
DPP OU: soulgazer vs Excal
ADV OU: z0mOG vs Tamahome
GSC OU: Mr.E vs KratosMana
RBY OU: HML am vs Amaranth

Deadline March 8th, 9 PM EST

Last edited by a moderator:
SS OU: TDK vs FLCL
SS LC: Luthier vs jake
SM OU: blunder vs Gondra
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs xImRaptor
BW OU: John W vs Caetano93
GSC OU: gorgie vs FriendOfMrGolem120

SS DOU: Tman vs stax
SS LC: ggggd vs Serene Grace

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
I know it's stupid to call it quits then come back next week because this game is so goddam addictive. However, I want to make the effort, since these last team tours have made it awfully clear I don't have what it takes, and I don't mean skill, but something well beyond that.

I've attempted all I could in order to fix my mentality issues, I've been thirsty to replicate the success I had those years ago, I've been nothing but frustrated. If I wanted to quit this game, I would have loved to do so on a high note, but I'm not going to delude myself anymore. So, this is it for me.

This is the part when I get gay and sentimental, so bear with me a bit. I am grateful to all the people I've met on this website; these past seven years playing this game competitively have been quite a ride, and I wouldn't have made it that far if you didn't back me up, be it directly through support, or indirectly with all the compliments and nice comments. To this day I still can't believe how many emotions and feelings this game can elicit, and it's one of my life phases I plan to hold on to my heart, however childish it may seem.

The adrenaline of playing important games, preparing, analyzing and studying them, having a crowd of people spamming the lobby like apes with every double-switch, overprediction made; all that made me indulge in this game to the fullest. But becoming a complete loser had also made me realize how it feels to be on both sides of the spectrum, as grueling and saddenig as it was, it was nonetheless experience I have acquired, and I plan to harness it through life.

The era of POSHO THE THUNDER is over. I wish good luck to all the new people trying to get a name on this website. Make sure not to do so by being a dickhead. I've kind of grown tired of people focusing more on running their mouths and dissing others to gain recognition. Rant aside, some people have bright futures here, despite all the hatred directed to you by Shake LOL, so make good use of your skill.

I still plan to hang around on smogtours discord because I still have fun talking to people there, but do not expect any further implication on the tournament scene.

Sorry for the long paragraph, but I truly wanted to get this off my chest. Thank you, everyone who has supported me through the end. You know who you are :-)

Posho The Thunder~

Last edited:
first of all congratulations all the teams that are here, they deserved it more than everyone specially classiest. You guys were the better team and deserve to be here over us

some words for my teammates which were amazing the entire season, was a pleasure to team up with guys and talk during these 2 month, specially pasy,lunar and metal somuch fun with u on the discord chat and sorry to my man ToF for not getting you on playoffs this time, youre just a fantastic player and person, im not gonna mention all cuz im lazy af but all of u were really cool and im glad i had the opportunity to make a friendship with you all

on my side well, I started on ss ou cuz i was having fun on ladder and the opportunity to team with my brother trosko was there so yeah, my perfomance wasnt the best and i trolled 2 weeks with gimmicks mons but at least i had some fun, back at oras i at least got some wins, i guess im stuck on this gen forever! 5-4 is not bad but def not good, happens

shoutouts to my good friend soulwind for making the 9-0 im sure we killin it this year in wcop bro and trosko who left me to travel to cuba and i had to use webs twice cuz i had no teams fuck u

before predictions i wanna mention shake and his fucking poststhat are fucking hilarious all the time, i legit cried irl with all his prediction post. maybe ure washed up playing but ure a good showman for sure

hope tyrants/cryos take the trophy, tyrants have the most talented players for sure and cryos have some insane players and good friends there, rooting for a final between u guys

see ya in wcop

Dragonspiral Tyrants (9) vs (1) Alpha Ruiners

SS OU: TDK vs FLCL both had ups and downs during regular season, im just a tdk believer, even matchup anyway fooly is so good as well
SS OU: CTC vs mncmt well i hope he shows up to play this time,,,
SS OU: Christo vs Empo Christo is probably with Sacri the most talented player on SS this spl, happy i could play against him, empo is good but not enough
SS DOU: marilli vs qsns w.e
SS LC: Luthier vs jake being zeb super good, Luthier is playing sooo good lately, dominating the pool with pablo so giving him a small edge here
SM OU: blunder vs Gondra well i cant predict here, i think blunders is def better player overall but Gondras is being fucking amazing this tour, killing it sooo hard. 50/50 game and highlight of the entire semi-finals no doubt
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs xImRaptor worst part of not making playoffs is im not gonna have the opportunity to face cbb this time, sucks, raptors lucky and good but cbbs def way better and hes looking fresh on his teams
BW OU: John W vs Caetano93 losing to sw is ok, John W was still the second best bw'er on this tournament on my eyes
DPP OU: The Grand Babido vs Emeral well hes just way better
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs Alexander. i hate not bolding marcop but alexander is playing so good man like crazy, i knew he was super good before this spl but hes just killing it
GSC OU: gorgie vs FriendOfMrGolem120 looked more solid on my eyes, fomg is good enough to take this one, small edge
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Hyogafodex second best rby'er after my boy metal

Cryonicles (9) vs (2) Congregation of the Classiest

SS OU: Sacri' vs suapah i repeat it everyweek but yeah im the number one fan of this guy, i like his teams, his gameplay, everything. suapah is being a monster this spl but i dont think its gonna be enough to beat sacri
SS OU: obii vs blarghlfarghl isnt this a free win lol
SS OU: Updated Kanto vs Insult bolding kanto every week is being a routine actually but I just think hes so good lol, Insult played good last week tbf but kantos better
SS DOU: Tman vs stax w.e
SS LC: ggggd vs Serene Grace 9-0, i have no more words, this guy dominated the entire pool, massive edge
SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Relous well, i think relous is like 1-7 or so.. Eo is def better
ORAS OU: Garay oak vs Persephone I like persephone innovations but Garay is way more solid and skilled, mucha suerte bro!
BW OU: Finchinator vs Raiza Finch is being dominant this spl along with borja/john W, hes def the better player here and hes playing really good
DPP OU: soulgazer vs Excal bro sg is fucking flexing all the time i fucking love it LOL, yeah some cheesehere and getting away with the W
ADV OU: z0mOG vs Tamahome hard matchup, i think tamas better still but z0m looking fire, i trust on u bro
GSC OU: Mr.E vs KratosMana ye whatever lol
RBY OU: HML am vs Amaranth i guess?

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Dragonspiral Tyrants (9) vs (3) Alpha Ruiners

SS OU: TDK vs FLCL | TDK is strong but FLCL's record is a bit better.
SS LC: Luthier vs jake
SM OU: blunder vs Gondra | Before SPL I would've bolded Blunder 100% but he's been slumping a bit while Gondra went 8-1. Could still go either way though as I do believe Blunder is the better player overall.
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs xImRaptor | Extremely close matchup. Raptor has the better record and beat CBB in the head-to-head before, but CBB has been on fire in the latter half of this tour so I'll pick him here.
BW OU: John W vs Caetano93 | Pretty much same reasoning as above. The doctor won the head-to-head but John has been hot recently.
GSC OU: gorgie vs FriendOfMrGolem120 | Yet another very close one with the two Fear slayers beasting it out. Gorgie is fire but I think FOMG is underrated and he won the head-to-head before.

Cryonicles (4) vs (8) Congregation of the Classiest

SS OU: Sacri' vs suapah | I'm pretty high on Sacri but Suapah's record is a tad better.
SS LC: ggggd vs Serene Grace | 10-0 let's get it.
ORAS OU: Garay oak vs Persephone | Very evenly matched but I feel like Garay's been slightly hotter recently, though he lost the head-to-head. Could really go either way.

I feel like the Cryonicles are the better team but made some weird roster movements. I'm welcome to surprises though.

YAHALLO AND WELCOME BACK TO THE UNBIASED PREDICTIONS

Dragonspiral Tyrants (5) vs (4) Alpha Ruiners

SS OU: TDK vs FLCL | FLCL seems to have some mojo this tour and TDK isn't having a great tour or anything. His recent sheet history makes me a bit skeptical, so I'll give FLCL a miniscule edge in this one
SS OU: CTC vs mncmt | man LOOL I guess I'll bold the basedlord. Not too confident in his abilities right now, but I don't really think the fake jamvad dude is viable. I don't really know anything about this guy other than that he's 6-9 on the sheet so. I'll take my chances with the basedlord.
SS OU: Christo vs Empo | LOOL OML FINALLY, Empo is against a non-meme player lol. You all know that I haven't taken a sip of the Empo kool-aid yet. Christo has made me more and more of a believer every week in his OU abilities. To be fair, his schedule has been kind of a cakewalk, but since I was already a day 1 fan of the Christo-in-lower-tiers-bandwagon, I'll trust him a fair amount still. This game's pretty close in my eyes, but I'll give Christo a miniscule edge.
SS LC: Luthier vs jake | Both have had really good tours. Luthier's doing a bit better in SPL, but Zeb had a superior Snake draft. I don't really have a read here. Tossup it is.
SM OU: blunder vs Gondra | If you told me before the tour I would be betting garbage ass Gondra against BLUNDER, I'd have called you a dogshit loser. BUT GOOD LORD LOOOOOL how things change bros. The decaying corpse we saw in Snake has been revitalized into a new entity known as GOATDRA. He's been absolutely washing people, and he absolutely massacred the entire SM OU field. That normally wouldn't be enough to favor him over blunder, but the YT sensation is having himself a pretty rough go of things this tour, only managing to acquire 3 wins in 8 weeks. The stars have aligned for GOATDRA to take this one.
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs xImRaptor | CBB has reversed course after a brutal 1-4 start to the tour. Raptor's also surprised me, though,putting up solid performances both in this SPL and in the last edition of the Snake draft. That being said, CBB's on a roll right now, and he's still far more proven, especially in this tier.
BW OU: John W vs Caetano93 | Both these players sport similar records, and that feels right to me. John W is a bit inconsistent, and can go from playing really well, such as in his game against dice, to looking like an absolute clown. Caetano has also had his fair share of struggles. Considering how unproven both these players are on the big stage, it's hard for me to give either of them the edge.
DPP OU: The Grand Babido vs Emeral | Bab's somehow 7-2 LOL IDK what to make of that, honestly. That record feels inflated for sure, but he is one of the best DPPers of all time, so I guess there's that. I still have no idea if Emeral is viable, and he currently sports a shoddy 1-3 record. Decent edge for Bab in the variance memehouse.
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs Alexander. | marcop's good, but I drank the Prinz kool-aid long ago. I'm a big believer in his abilities, and I think he's a hair better than marcop.
GSC OU: gorgie vs FriendOfMrGolem120 | This series actually has a lot of close games LOL Everyone's been talking about how fire gorgie has been this SPL, but he and FOMG actually boast the same 6-3 record. FOMG also beat floppy back in Week 4. I thought floppy was completely unviable before this tour, so while he has proven me wrong, I'm still not going to act like I'm a massive believer in him or anything, at least not yet. I also never hopped on the FOMG bandwagon, but it is undeniable that he is a bit more proven in recent memory. I trust him enough to give him a miniscule edge in this matchup, I suppose.
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Hyogafodex | Troller's the best RBYer and Hyoga is an unviable goon. Well, at least they didn't waste prinz in rby LOL Thank god for that. Big edge...well, as big of an edge as you can have in this joke tier.

Cryonicles (6) vs (6) Congregation of the Classiest

SS OU: Sacri' vs suapah | Sacri's fire, but suapah has really turned me into a believer this tour. He's gone 7-2 against a pretty tough schedule, and I like how he's played most of his games; I think he's been a bit unlucky as well. This is a close one, but I'll give suapah a miniscule edge.
SS OU: obii vs blarghlfarghl | LOOOOOOOOOOL BRO WHAT ARE WE DOING? OBI? SS OU? Bro...my man's 3-14 ON THE SHEET LOOL jesus. I don't know how I've suddenly ended up bolding blargh every week, but apparently its the new trend. Massive edge to the gerk in this jerk vs gerk showdown.
SS OU: Updated Kanto vs Insult | The Kanto bandwagon has gone off the rails this tournament LOL He's in a rut right now, but I'm still a believer in his talent. Insult has put together a solid tour, but I was never a real believer in his skills. When these two faced off in Week 1, Insult had a perfect counterteam and cruised to the victory. I can't see that happening again. Small edge for Kanto.
SS DOU: Tman vs stax | stax has been on FIRE this tour, and it seems like he's finally ready to live up to the massive hype he'd been given the past few years. Tman hasn't been that great.
SS LC: ggggd vs Serene Grace | serene's been decent, but Pablo looks like the best LCer in the tour. He seems to be one of the only people who consistently knows what he's doing, and I haven't really seen him misplay either. Solid edge.
SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Relous | I already congratulated Eo on his semifinals win so LOOOL This game's a disaster. Eo's amazing, and Relous has been one of the worst players in the tour. He currently sits winless at 0-7, and the only reason he's playing right now is because the team's other option is....false. yeah LOL The Classiest are historically bad in SM OU this year, currently sporting a 1-8 record. I'd be shocked if Eo didn't wash Relous here. Huge edge
ORAS OU: Garay oak vs Persephone | I'm not really a big fan of either of these two in ORAS OU, but Garay's been a hair better from what I've seen. I don't really have faith in Persephone to win a game where he doesn't have an insane matchup. Garay's also more proven on the big stage, albeit in non-OU. Miniscule edge.
BW OU: Finchinator vs Raiza | Raiza's definitely better than his 2-7 record, but finch is on another level. He's way more proven on the big stage, and he's probably going to prep for 200 hours for this game. Solid edge.
DPP OU: soulgazer vs Excal | Excal's had a nice tour, but I need to see a lot more before I'm ready to deem him viable. SG's enough of a sheet warrior to farm lesser players in the thinking gen, so I'll trust him in this one. Miniscule edge.
ADV OU: z0mOG vs Tamahome | z0m's record is inflated by luck, but he's still had a solid tour. Unfortunately, he should be no match for Malfoy. Tama's amazing at ADV, and he's infinitely more proven in this tier. Big edge.
GSC OU: Mr.E vs KratosMana | MrE has definitely been unlucky this SPL. Now, I don't think he's been AS UNLUCKY as he seems to believe, but nonetheless, I think he's definitely better than his 3-6 record suggests. That being said, Anti has caught fire this SPL, and has shown that he's without question one of the best GSCers on the site. He handled the pressure well against dice last week, and I'd be a fool to bold against such a heat in-form player here. Solid edge.
RBY OU: HML am vs Amaranth | Both have similar records, but TIN's been a hair better. TIN is also more proven on the big stage, so I guess he can have a miniscule edge.

Tiebreak:

SS OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs. suapah | I don't know, honestly. suapah beat Eo earlier in this season, and Eo hasn't been amazing in this tier. IDK, maybe I'm ignoring the results too much, but I just have faith that he would win this game. To be fair, I didn't really believe in suapah at all until this tour started so. Miniscule edge for Eo here.
SS LC: ggggd vs. KratosMana | LOL This might be the dumbest prediction yet LOOOOOL I lost my mind OMG I think the Cryos have no pick besides LC, so that's a no-brainer. The Classiest's three best players are suapah, anti, and Tama, so that naturally means anti will have to play LC. Now, how much does anti know LC? Well...he probably doesn't LOOL That being said, do I think LC is really THAT HARD to learn, especially when Anti would probably be assisted by starmaster in prep if this tiebreak happened? I'm not sure, but I do know that, without question, Anti is a better player than Pablo. Whether that translates over to LC is anyone's guess. I'm not always the biggest believer in the "mons is mons" philosophy that users like blargh and z0mOG have spread across Smogon, but I just have a hard time believing Anti would lose this one.
ADV OU: z0moG? Finch? vs. Tamahome | It would be inconceivable for Tamahome to not be in the tiebreak, and since he apparently doesn't play SS OU, the Classiest have no choice put to put him in ADV. I think he's definitely better than anyone the Cryonicles have to ADV, so I think this one makes sense.

Did I really just predict the CRYOS TO LOSE AFTER HYPING THEM ALL SEASON LOOOOOOOOOL Man I've lost my mind. Well, that's what happens when you put obi in SS OU.

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
SS OU: CTC vs mncmt | man LOOL I guess I'll bold the basedlord. Not too confident in his abilities right now, but I don't really think the fake jamvad dude is viable. I don't really know anything about this guy other than that he's 6-9 on the sheet and was involved in that nonsensical controversy last year when his team tried to get him banned for "cancering." Yeah...I'll take my chances with the basedlord.
mence is not menci.

cant believe it ends like this.. the one week we actually want to tie..

was a real fun ride bros. from the low expectations into week 1 where we immediately tie (what else LOL) the big bad bully tyrants and start to believe.. with still only 2 points after 3 weeks (2 ties at this point!) and the threat of the wheels falling off completely but we completely smash the scooters to get our first win... with another tie and another win and suddenly we're in the thick of the race... into reiku actively rooting for me to lose because we somehow only won those weeks LOL.. with the most complicated week 9 playoff scenario of all fucking time in a week where we go from 2-0 to 2-4 to 5-4 just go get our hearts crushed at 5-7.... so we end up at 4 ties into the 5 we so desperately wanted...

i had an absolute blast this spl and finally got to a point where i cared just enough to not get stressed out before/during games. i feel like im still improving and i think my records over the years show that too. i have to absolutely thank my teammates for just dealing with me coming up on gameday, looking at their scout and picking something out of the builder.

either way that's probably it for me in spl. at this point i dont think ill ever be motivated enough to learn a new tier and don't think i'd reach the level i did in rby. either way it's incredibly gratifying to go out with the most rby wins all time in spl, guess my name might be remembered even if ill never have a trophy to show for it.

shoutouts
Kingler12345: man im so glad you listened to me and drafted me looool i practically begged you. i felt you werent superactive but when you were around the whole atmosphere always felt better, you're just so easy to chat with and the first one to make fun of yourself which is refreshing. i know being a new manager put some pressure on you and you had to deal with some critiques but you can look back and be proud

Corporal Levi: it was real nice to see you get more comfortable in your role as comanager, by week 3 the scheduling / discussion / prep were so well-oiled it was fantastic. you also put in hours and hours of talk and prep with Lily, i felt so comfortable before every LC game even though we all knew Lily's timer was gonna give us heart attacks LOL. you were amazing

pasy_g: THE CRUX OF THE CHAT :dabsire: idk how you did it but you were always online to talk or troll or just spam emojis and go with the flow, also a very decent record at the end that you haxed together lmaooo, hmu for random battles any time man

reiku: ily reiku, idk when it happened but suddenly you were our team's best energy and you really got rolling when we put you in ORAS where you could just sticky web the competition LOL. your playing is very precise and you're also really cool.

dice: part 1 of the gay core! it was so nice to see you step up in GSC when we needed a change in the line up even though you brought the most random ass teams and just absolutely fucking refused to click the move Rest!! dw about this week, your big balls plays usually left me in awe but sometimes thats how it goes man, i think your price in draft was right where it belonged.

ToF: you're a standup dude man. i loved seeing the whole old dpp gang of roscoe, august and you deciding on teams every week and then you going out, making some crazy ass plays and destroying. im sorry we couldnt get you in the playoffs, you're definitely a playoff calibre type player if thats any consolation bro. one day shake will predict for us too im certain

LilyAC: low timer lily LMAO i hope you read up in the discussion chat when we add you back. i think it's like 50% us screaming "TIMER", 25% flashing Levi if you made the right play and 25% shouting you're the goat. your channel was always so active and beaming with ideas, you were discussing something in the middle of dice's GSC game like wow. hope you keep up this energy in mons, you'll go far

Lusa: you stepped up big time man. it was so nice of us that through the shuffling we had always a reliable SS1. i knew right away week 1 when you read Nat like a complete book and correctly predicted Shadow Ball vs Flash Cannon from an insanely threatening specs Aegi 6 or 7 times in a row and discussion chat just exploding, we couldnt believe what we were seeing. i know you're not happy with your performance this week but the road goes with ups and downs, you're a great player and definitely SPL starter worthy

Trosko: always a pleasure watching you play. i think you built like 80% of our SS teams even though we switched you to SM, just an incredible team player that wins his games and makes others win their games as well. every team would be lucky to have you. pls dont go to shitass countries w/o internet next spl D:

kaori: sam! was very nice to team up with you again on team Raiders. your synergy with Lunar was fantastic and seeing how unselfish you guys were was very nice. really didnt care who ended up playing as long as the team and the strategy were on point. love me a reliable doubles player / combo

Lunar.: part 2 of the doubles core! your willingness to be a sub so you could potentially be a last minute Sunday sub was fantastic team dedication, i don't think i've seen anything like that when the starting spot was basically yours. loved talking to you as well, shoot me a pm sometimes bro

Posho: part 2 of the gay core! i know you had a rough time but you'll always be "viable" or whatever they're calling it nowadays in BW man. you came up with some strong prep but you got unlucky in matchups and games, you're definitely better than what your record says. wish you the best man

Vulpix03: man im really glad we listened to pasy_g and drafted you. you got some bigass wins, clutching that week vs aim when he shows up with the vish was pretty incredible to watch. i know your last 2 games werent very great and we clowned your week 8 especially but we wanted to bully you into playing better!! your upside is real high man and also a great chat presence, any team would be lucky to have you next year

Simia: dude i was certain we were gonna sell you back LOL then i come back from my vacation and suddenly you're 2-0 and looking like the next coming of jesus christ. your ability to show up 30 mins before a game, look at a paste and drag out a W like it's rby was quite stunning. keep it up

Lycans: bro i have no idea what happened to you, you disappear for like a month and then we drop you in SM and you clutch 2 big games like it's nothing LOL that was incredible. i hope you liked the experience of being on an SPL team that seemed like it was going somewhere

UD: putting you in for the grudge match vs z0m and then you destroying him turn 1 was probably one of the best moments this spl. enjoy the chiefs super bowl win, thx for being around to help pasy_g

Earthworm: EW :tooty: it was nice to team up with one of the biggest legends of smogon and even nicer to hear you thought i was a good player :D. nice having you around and fuck's sake you can type fast

Chill Shadow: last but not least, thanks for providing all the scouting and help and being active in discussion so much! wish we couldve carried you to a trophy like Lavos and lax did, alas

Last edited:
hf tyrants and thanks for letting us in playoffs.

SS OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs. suapah

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Doing predictions but also wanted to give a huge thank you to Stone_Cold and Void for believing me enough to pick me up after the entire Ojama fiasco and to aim for pushing so much to get me in the first place. Even though we didn't get to the playoffs, I had a ton of fun on the BIGs and hope to team with you guys again sometime.

Dragonspiral Tyrants (6) vs (6) Alpha Ruiners

SS OU: TDK vs FLCL - This was my closest game of the week for either matchup, these are two really high level players that have put up solid performances this tour and I could see this going either way. I'm gonna favor the hotter hand in FLCL here, he's had some incredible recent performances, outplaying the hell out of people left and right, and he's had a better tour overall.

SS OU: CTC vs mncmt - As much as people rag on CTC, he still has a storied past as a player, and I'm a hell of a lot more likely to favor him than someone who's only had one game this tour and is super unproven overall, and even moreso in high pressure situations. Looking forward to seeing the offensive battalion that CTC whips up in preparation for this game.

SS OU: Christo vs Empo - Christo's been an absolute beast this tour, but I feel like Empo has really been rounding into form these last few weeks, scoring 3 wins in a row and an especially impressive one over bro fist, who many people consider to be the top SS OU player. Christo has looked really good from a technical standpoint this SPL, but I feel like he tends to crutch on certain mons, and Empo is going to be able to exploit that in the teambuilder to give himself a good advantage before the game coupled with his playing ability.

SS DOU: marilli vs qsns - Honestly, if this was at the end of week 4, it would have been an easy bold for marilli, but qsns has some impressive wins against top guys like SMB under his belt and he's on a roll right now, albeit with some dubious assistance in his week 8 victory.

SS LC: Luthier vs jake - Another insanely tight game, it's really hard to imagine jake losing to the same guy 3 times in a row, but I have to stick by my "Indians are jake's cryoptonite" theory, and regardless Luthier is on fucking fire right now, racking up 6 wins in a row and doesn't look to be slowing down, even if he's playing on other people's alts.

SM OU: blunder vs Gondra - Gondra is way hotter than blunder right now, but come on this is fucking blunder we're talking about. Regardless of what people say, he's a top player, and he's back in SM OU on top of that. I think people are definitely having a bit of recency bias predicting this game and not considering that blunder's got the experience and playing ability to take this one.

ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs xImRaptor - CBB had a disappointing start to this SPL, but has come roaring back in recent weeks, having an epiphany after his loss to Santu, and rattling off 4 wins in a row. On the other hand, Raptor has had more of a steady SPL, finishing with a solid 6-3 record and a lot of impressive wins. I'm going to go with both the hot hand and the experienced playoff performer in CBB here, we saw the havoc he could wreak in high pressure situations during WCOP playoffs, and I don't see things going any different here.

BW OU: John W vs Caetano93 - THE DOCTOR IS IN OML, both guys have had near average performances, but I've gotta pick the doctor here. Both guys are good friends and great guys that I'm happy to see doing well, but I think that Caetano has a much higher ceiling and he's got more experience, seeing as he played during WCOP. With that extra experience combined with his unorthodox ideas and high playing ceiling, I give Caetano a slight edge here.

DPP OU: The Grand Babido vs Emeral - Heist has been a god this tour whereas Emeral has had a pretty middling performance. Most longtime DPP players have a higher opinion of the guy than the general public, but I don't think Emeral is going to be able to overcome his nerves and take down an all time great in such a high pressure situation given the difference in their performances up to this point.

ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs Alexander. - Both guys have been pretty fire, but I'm just a bit higher on marcop's playing ability overall, he's got a very distinctive style that focuses on maximizing his wincons while also making timely, aggressive plays to punish the opponent, and I think that naturally does well against someone who's as aggressive as Alex. Very close game that could ultimately be decided when marcop loses his mind and rolls up with Delibird for absolutely no reason.

GSC OU: gorgie vs FriendOfMrGolem120 - Both players have had strong SPLs so far, with gorgie finally showing that he indeed has it all and FOMG cementing his place as a high level GSC player, so this is sure to be a great game. FOMG has the prior results for me to trust, with an incredibly impressive playoffs win against Lavos during his 4-1 WCOP campaign and I feel like he's played a bit more solid overall this tour, so I'm going to be favoring him here.

RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Hyogafodex - Hardly think this needs an explanation

SS OU: Sacri' vs suapah - I think Sacri's quite good, and I think his record is right at where I evaluate him skill-wise, but I feel like proclaiming him as being THE BEST player in SS OU is a bit of a jump. On the other hand, suapah has been on absolute fire this SPL, putting up an impressive 7-2 record against arguably the hardest strength of schedule in the entire tour, and I see him keeping the momentum going here.

SS OU: obii vs blarghlfarghl - Admittedly this is a bit biased from knowing obii, but I feel like blargh is exactly the type of guy that obii can beat. I expect obii to put an absurd amount of effort into preparing the best counterteam that he can come up with, likely with assistance from the vaunted jerk. Blargh's playstyle is likely based on how he feels during games combined with what he perceives his winpath as and is less calculated than that of guys like ABR and John, and I think that obii's got the ability to punish slightly suboptimal lines when playing at his best, so I'm going to pick obii in what's apparently an enormous upset.

SS OU: Updated Kanto vs Insult - Insult has been an absolute madman this SPL, putting up a 6-3 record and is back on a roll after some mid-tour struggles, and he's hot off of winning two sets in a row against Tricking, who looked unstoppable at the time, in the SS release invitational tour. I think that Insult's just got a lot more momentum behind him and has more solid team choices as a whole, so I'll take him to win this one.

SS DOU: Tman vs stax - Stax has been on fire this SPL, putting up an absurd 7-2 record and has significantly more experience on his resume. I'm no doubles savant, but in a tier I don't know a ton about I'm always going to favor the guy with both a better resume and a better current tour.

SS LC: ggggd vs Serene Grace - Serene's got like 6 million wins in a row, but pablo hasn't dropped a fucking game all tour, so I'd be an idiot to pick against him here.

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Relous - Prior to this tour, this game would actually be pretty close, considering that Relous was coming off of a nice performance in snake. However, he's looked like a shell of his former self this SPL and Eo has done Eo things, taking down the seemingly unstoppable Well among other strong players, and I think that the current SM OU metagame is perfectly suited for his playstyle. This game looks like a wash honestly and it'll be really surprising if it goes otherwise.

ORAS OU: Garay oak vs Persephone - This game's honestly a toss up to me, but I'll favor Pers's innovation over Garay's reliance on fairly orthodox and known teams in a playoff format where prep is going to be a pretty big factor for who wins.

BW OU: Finchinator vs Raiza - Finch is actually surprisingly clutch in playoff situations, at least during WCOP, and is having a pretty typical SPL for his standards, so I expect him to take care of business against a struggling Raiza, who's had a fairly poor SPL between being super unlucky and too predictable with his teamchoices.

DPP OU: soulgazer vs Excal - I'm very high on Excal, but sg is going to get an incredible amount of support from osgoode this week and he's had a ton of experience over the years. I think that Excal can definitely take this one, but he'll have to play out of his mind and avoid the DPP bot simultaneously, which is a pretty daunting task for someone in their first SPL.

ADV OU: z0mOG vs Tamahome - Tama has been incredible this SPL, and going 3-1 in both DPP and ADV, and he's number one on the all time team tour wins sheet for a reason. z0m's had a better SPL record-wise, but I feel like Tama has still played more solid overall and I've gotta favor his experience and numerous clutch performances over the years in such a high pressure situation.

GSC OU: Mr.E vs KratosMana - Going into the tour, I thought that anti would do better than his record, but nothing near what he's achieved so far. He's played like a man possessed, notching key wins against top players like McMeghan and FOMG as well as taking down dice with the season on the line. I think Mr.E is better than his record indicates and could easily pull a 6-3 in SPL if he got over his defeatist mentality, but I'm not going to pick against anti, with him playing as well as he has.

RBY OU: HML am vs Amaranth - I think that TIN is probably a hair better than HML, but he's cursed after the super cocky post he made following the Classiest's qualification for playoffs so that'll split the difference.

Others have already predicted an LC tiebreak, so I figured I'd do another take on what I think is more likely here. I think that the cryos obviously have a very high chance of picking LC in tiebreak, as pablo's had an absurd SPL thus far, but I think the Cryos are going to go for their veterans in the tiebreak over the hot hand. Going with "the hot hand" has backfired a lot in past SPLs, such as when the Wolfpack chose ORAS against the Raiders and when the Tyrants put in z0mOG over blunder, both in SPL 9. So, they're going to put Finch in his home tier and the Classiest would pick ADV, with Tama having a sizable advantage against whoever he faces.

Tiebreak:

SS OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs suapah - This game was really hard to call and even though I place a lot of weight on experience in my predicts, what suapah has done this SPL is undeniable and I'm going to bold him against every name he goes up against until proven otherwise.

BW OU: Finchinator vs KratosMana - I really wanted to bold Finch here with how well he's done all SPL, but anti has been a ball of fire this SPL and he's come up clutch in numerous high pressure situations, accentuated by his win against dice last week that was basically as pressure packed as game 3 of a tiebreak to make or break the season. Finch is no stranger to coming up big in clutch situations, being 2-0 against US West in WCOP playoffs, but I've just gotta favor anti here, regardless of the tier.

ADV OU: soulgazer vs Tamahome - I think if this matchup were to happen, the Cryos would probably put in sg over z0m because he's got a lot more tenure around here and just feels more like a tiebreak player. Pretty silly reasoning, but it's mostly off of my gut. Obviously I favor Tama in this game, but sg is no slouch and he could definitely pull off the upset here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)