Smogon PlayTCG Tournament #8 - Dark Explorers [Won by Mekkah]

Alright, with hopefully most of the flakes eliminated I present you Round 2. If you have a problem with the decisions I made on who to advance in the incomplete matches, please travel back in time, go to your PM inbox and actually reply to the reminder PM that I sent you this Saturday, thank you.

Round 2

Crawdaunt vs Seven Deadly Sins
Cybertron vs Stormfront
starmetroid vs zerowing
Mekkah vs Nigglypuff
LonelyNess vs Steiner
Dotteh vs TEA DEMON
Maaf vs bharmalm
rax vs Alaka

What can we expect from these matches?

Crawdaunt vs Seven Deadly Sins

On our left, we have a guy with a username so obnoxious that I shortened it to just the name of the Kingler clone. It's actually his first season playing but he's already caused Adam Capriola to implement a new spam filter for his article submission form since he just keeps on writing, allowing him to keep plugging his stupid cards in stupid decks and get just lucky enough to have some results to back it up, including some Regional Top Cut goodness. On our right, we have Seven Deadly Sins, season competitor and professional procrastinator. Whenever he is done with work he teleports straight to school just to make sure he is not available to get a match done, but when he does he will be complaining quite a bit.

Cybertron vs Stormfront

Cybertron is no slouch in the VGC even though you should naturally be making fun of Seniors or anyone close to Senior age at any opportunity. He got to the final round of our last oh-so-reflective-and-important tournament (and before you call me out on aiming below the belt, I was the other finalist), so do not underestimate him, even if your name is Stormfront. When your username is identical to the set that brought us cheat cards like Gyarados SF and Gengar SF, having attacks with energy to damage ratio that should be illegal in all five regions, you should not be underestimated. I am not sure if this Stormfront is the same one as the one that keeps providing us with custom Redshark updates until the lazy devs give us the official ones, but if you are thank you and I will hereby accept that bribe and give you the activity win!

starmetroid vs zerowing

I will be perfectly honest and say I have no clue what starmetroid or his Round 1 opponent TalkingLion have accomplished, which is both a blessing and a curse as it means I will quickly shift over the attention to zerowing, who managed to sleep through Round 1 as his opponent was unable to get past the Smogon login screen around 3 days after sign up. While being so bored zerowing took Top2 at a Regional with the most ridiculously boring Celebi/Mewtwo deck you can imagine, I'm surprised he manages to announce anything but Forest Breath and X-Ball when we playtest.

Mekkah vs Nigglypuff

I'm kind of sad Nigglypuff got over taking offense every time someone calls him that. So there's nothing left for me to say but good luck to you!

LonelyNess vs Steiner

Someone please contact LN over Skype to tell him his opponent (he has no other way of finding out), might have to log into LoL for that one to work. His opponent Schteiner (SPRECHEN SIE DEUTSCH) took out my proud semi-tutee LudiImpact in Round 1. Did he remember to send up Celebi after KOs? That's what I've always been trying to teach him....

Dotteh vs TEA DEMON

Dotteh sounds like an unfinished sentence or phrase, but he did finish his match Round 1 which alone warrants a round of applause. On that basis he is already the favourite of this match-up in my eyes. Dotteh is said to practice with outcast locopoke quite a bit, so TEA DEMON better be a little more of a show-up this time. But at least TEA DEMON has good music taste and has shown so on my last.fm shoutbox.

Maaf vs bharmalm

Maaf the ridiculous French man, absolutely bossing it for the Circus Maximus Tigers not even that long ago, has turned towards TCG and so far his journey is going well. He has defeated the RNG-crazy Cassie, whose Groudons just did not have a high enough SpDef IV to withstand an X-Ball for 180 for the final game. Opposing Maaf is bharmalm, who managed to defeat kd24 with the aid of his supportive father shouting rude Indian phrases for an intimidation factor.

rax vs Alaka

And of course random.org saved the highlight match for last. rax, current champion of a Spring Battle Roads (or should I say Battle Road) using her ridiculous Lugia LEGEND deck already had to face the ever enlightening Huy in Round 1, and is now facing a more serious (and thus arguably more threatening) opponent: Alaka, who will put on his pimp gloves to show her who is the boss around here. He consistently did well in most Smogon TCG Tournaments (at least the ones in my selective memory), dominates leagues, and if that doesn't impress you, the guy was halfway through grinding into TCG Worlds with one hand tied behind his back before he decided to drop and go play VGC instead, crushing a legion of Master's dreams in both areas.

Place your bets now, and then quickly VM your opponent 'cause this shit needs to get over with before the end of Wednesday, May 30.

Mekkah, I know to send up Celebis now lol
I lost game 1 beacuse all of my Mewtwos were prized and I had a horrible hand losing on a donk.
Game 2 was really close, but Steiner came away with it.

Maaf

Let's go for Nanar sweep
is a Contributor Alumnus
Was supposed to play friday evening with bharmalm, but he didn't show up. No news since :(

Thanks for getting 7/8 matches done, guys! I'm gonna go ahead and give Maaf the win since he made more of an effort to stay in touch with me at least, posted more, etc. Round 3 will be in the OP in a few secs.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
had a really "fun" time watching my opponent play for 2 hours while I sat and passed a majority of the time.

lost 1-2

for anyone wondering why I'm holding up my own tournament kind of (deadline's Friday), it's because I had something Monday that took up all day and took all my time away to prepare for, then unexpectedly had to work all day yesterday, but Dotteh knows and we'll get it done

edit: Beat Dotteh 2-0. Making new pairings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)