Smogon Happenings - post here for publicity (YES, YOU - READ THE OP!)

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
This is the Smogon Happenings thread, which was in another hidden forum before. Now it will be out in the public so I'll run down the gist of things. This is where various contributors around the forum post to get more exposure on something that has happened recently and where we the social media people then post it to Smogon's large Facebook and/or Twitter pages.

What you SHOULD post about and that we DEFINITELY will publish:
These are usually taken care of by those in charge of said categories, would only rarely need others posting about these if they were forgotten about.
  • Suspect tests announcements and results for official tiers - posted by respective tier leaders.
  • Council quickban results for official tiers - posted by respective tier leaders.
  • The Flying Press article releases - posted by TFP staff.
  • Competitive analyses releases - posted by respective C&C staff
  • In-game article releases - posted by respective C&C staff.
  • Signups for official tournaments - posted by respective tournament hosts.*
  • Signups for tournaments part of the official circuits - posted by respective tournament hosts.*
  • Other Metagame of the Month/Ruins of Alph Spotlight Community Choice voting and results - posted by respective hosts.
  • Create-A-Pokémon developments - posted by CAP staff.
  • Start of a new translation project - posted by Translations staff.

*Host(s) must provide an art for the tournament. We reserve the right to NOT post said tournament if we don't have any picture for it.
What you CAN post about and that we MAYBE will publish:
These can be posted by various people, but there's no guarantee that we will end up publishing said things.
  • Suspect tests announcements and results for unofficial tiers - posted by tier leaders.
  • Signups for other tournaments hosted on the forums - posted by respective tournament hosts.*
  • Signups for in-game tournaments hosted on the forums - posted by respective tournament hosts.*
  • New Nintendo tournaments and metagames
  • Various new forum projects, resources, and contests
  • New PS/forum features

*Host(s) must provide an art for the tournament. We reserve the right to NOT post said tournament if we don't have any picture for it.
What you SHOULDN'T post about, but that we DEFINITELY will publish:
These are taken care by ourselves and don't need to be posted about here.
  • Official Pokémon game news
  • Our own social media projects
What you SHOULDN'T post about and that we DEFINITELY will NOT publish:
These don't really belong on our social media and such posts will be deleted from the thread.
  • Your personal social media accounts, tournaments, or RMT/art/trading/project/whatever threads - we're not free publicity.
  • Unrelated Pet Mod/Circus Maximus/Sports/Smogoff/Congregation threads
  • Anything else we deem unrelated to Pokémon and Smogon.
These are the people with access to our social media accounts and will respond and schedule the things in this thread:
berry, deetah, dhelmise, Eledyr, Frozoid, grape tylenol, Irpachuza, Kiwi, Lily, Marnie, Melt Gibson, Neko, Perry, Steorra, strawberry, Sulo

Happy posting!

Last edited by a moderator:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Battle Spot forum Twitter would like some exposure or anything you can do to advertise our forum. The metagame is going to change significantly next month because OR/AS and XY are being split into two different leagues so this is a great opportunity to get more people involved. We've also going along as far as resources for newbies are involved. I will update the Singles Viability Rankings soon, we have interest in creating one for Doubles (iirc Kortex is working on it), and we just made a Sample Teams thread covering all formats except for Rotation. We would appreciate you sending us new players our way :)

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Age of Kings i'm interested in having a larger battle spot following here, anything you guys put out i'll be happy to promote, just let us know. If you guys have something biggish in the works we might be able to give you a shoutout on facebook which will be much more effective than the short stuff on twitter (since our fb following is 250k and our twitter is in comparison small at 21.3k)

in fact just thinking about it a "master post" on fb would probably be nice. pick some nice artwork, say that we're trying to grow our battle spot following, link to all of the resources you guys have been developing. i think it would go over well

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks, everyone. We got a bunch of new Twitter followers from that.

As for the big Facebook post, that sounds like an awesome idea. However (ping Hulavuta & EnGarde & co. for their thoughts) I was thinking that stuff should wait until OR/AS. Right now, most of our resources are geared towards XY League but when OR/AS releases they will split Battle Spot into two different metas (KB-only with new stuff and transferred mons without the new stuff). The PGL is also going to go down in two weeks for maintenance so there will be that period where people can't even play outside of the sim. Since most people will probably transition to the new meta, we should probably wait until we have more new resources and additionally catch the in-game players wondering what to do after beating the E4.

In the meantime, our little forum updates will go to Twitter. I'll keep in touch with what we can contribute.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
the uu ladder has been updated again with togekiss being voted back to BL and zygarde being selected as the next test subject.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool idea chaos. I'll follow along with this thread like I do with p. much everyone on Smogon that has a Twitter account. Perhaps updates in tier Viability Rankings threads would be nice as well (primarily for if a Pokemon moves up to or down from S / A+ ranks)

Well I hope this qualifies as a community thing, but Smeargle's is having it's annual art-trade secret santa that is open to everyone. There's an explanation for it in the thread but basically people PM me a request by X date, it gets random'd out to all the people who have signed up/requested a thing and then people draw the request they get, and it's all revealed on the 10 days leading up to Xmas Eve (part of the reason this shit is started so early). It brings nondenominational cheer to all the children.

If possible though, I'd like to have it emphasised that people who request a thing and don't draw the request they get are punished for their insolence... but that's up to you guys. Last year's was our first flake-free Secret Santa (even resident butt Birkal got his pic in eventually) and I'd like to maintain that for this year, too.

Edit: Also this is open for people at all art levels, from art legends such as macle to terrible hacks like Zracknel.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
elcheeso i dont think i can threaten punishment on twitter/fb (twitter especially), if anything that will just invite trolling by people who have no investment in this community. if being flake-free is important, might want to add some light account restrictions, or if its a new account require some verification like a deviantart?

chaos Yeah I figured that might be a problem/just end up encouraging trouble. I'd rather not restrict it in any way, so no big deal on that front. Being flake-free just means less work for me, since I'm the one who makes sure everyone gets something unless some of the other artists taking part are kind enough to volunteer to help.

Issue 4 of The Player is out.

If you want more info to elaborate on, here are the editors' notes:
Editors' Notes said:
Hello, readers!

This month has been pretty exciting - both on the sim and in the webzine. PSPL II has just finished recently, with Italiano being crowned the winners after weeks of intense battling. A well-deserved grats to them. The webzine has also had a lick of paint from Quarkz, who's been updating the layout so that it's exceptionally easy on the eye.

This issue's gone through a lot pre-release, but the end product is marvellous! A special thanks to MiniArchitect for doing a fantastic job with the Spiritomb for this issue's cover art. I hope you enjoy reading this issue as much as we enjoyed creating it.

Happy Halloween!

Issue 4 has some fantastic reads, such as the Sky Battles 102, Interview with Goddess Briyella, and Spydreigon's look at how staff communicate. Thanks to shaymin, Quarkz, and offler for their help during release, and I hope you all have a pleasant read!
Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)