Hobbies Smogon Food & Cooking Thread 2

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
update to soup season dave

i used our newly gifted soup crocks to make

View attachment 468091

baby's first pumpkin roll / yule log

used all wheat flour and while ive never tried any other recipe, this is deeeelicious :totodiLUL:
Dishes so beautifully finished, y’all better work :afrostar::afrostar::afrostar:

For Thanksgiving I continued to remind these californian people I’m from the deep US south with my family’s fav cherry pie cake (also with a proper photo shoot)

2A61577F-6B9B-4505-9F60-3E388AF498BB.jpeg

Not directly cooking but my stainless steel pan looks... Not good and I don't know why

I bought it in September and used it once for mushroom pasta. I left the mushroom pasta in the pan after I cooked it for a day or two in the fridge. Ever since then, it looks messed up. I tried removing the mineral deposits with a mix of vinegar and water with baking soda but the only thing that changed was that there is this brown ring now

What the hell should I do? Do I need to throw it away? Pics are here
:

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not directly cooking but my stainless steel pan looks... Not good and I don't know why

I bought it in September and used it once for mushroom pasta. I left the mushroom pasta in the pan after I cooked it for a day or two in the fridge. Ever since then, it looks messed up. I tried removing the mineral deposits with a mix of vinegar and water with baking soda but the only thing that changed was that there is this brown ring now

What the hell should I do? Do I need to throw it away? Pics are here
:
1st: Always clean stainless steel right after cooking and dry it immediately. That's the best/easiest way to properly care for them.

2nd: Pour cola in the pan enough to cover the burned-on oil marks. Bring it to a gentle simmer, scrape away bits with a spatula and wash normally.

3rd: If this doesn't work, make a paste using 1:1 ratio of baking soda and dish soap. Spread the paste all over the pan and leave it for several hours. Wash and rinse properly once finished.

Saffron risotto, courtesy of https://www.insidetherustickitchen.com/saffron-risotto/. This is my second time making a risotto, the first of which was a pumpkin risotto, and I wasn't too happy with it. This one is much better and I feel the flavours work together much more naturally. It's not a strong flavour by any means, but it's a good eat, and not a hard dish to make at all.
PXL_20230119_224713226.jpg
PXL_20230119_225032044.jpg

I'm gonna try to post in this thread much more in the future, since I've recently grown to like cooking much more. You all have made such good-looking food so far that I can't wait to see what else you cook up :)

3rd: If this doesn't work, make a paste using 1:1 ratio of baking soda and dish soap. Spread the paste all over the pan and leave it for several hours. Wash and rinse properly once finished.
Did that recently and it helped, thank you. There's a bit of rust and calcium deposits (albeit, I think it could be chalk deposits too) left, but that should be easily treatable

those look incredible, did you steam them or how do they cook?
yeah! so i made the filling (in the pan, so the meat is cooked already) and froze it before I wrapped them. After I let it rest in the dough (to let the dough settle a little more) I used this little elevated perforated steel platform I got off amazon. It goes in a pot with boiling water but keeps the food above it, so its a makeshift steamer!

they were really good but I think I used a little too much cornstarch, I should've maybe tried to reduce it more. It took me about 4 hours all in all, but like 2 of those hours were letting the dough rest so it was pretty easy!! :)

I think I'm gonna make six metric tons of quiche on Sunday. I'm gonna do some that are like ham&cheese, some w broccoli, and some w spinach. if you have any suggestions for like cheeses or other ingredients share em! :)

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm cooking steak for a friend tonight, which is fortunately one of maybe five things that I can cook with consistently good results.

I only ever buy flat iron, which is an absolute bargain (£14.50/kg) from my local butcher in comparison to ribeye (£30/kg) and fillet (£50/kg). The cut is clearly still a relatively unknown quantity here, so for the benefit of the uninitiated; flat iron was "discovered" as a result of a 2002 study to find new commercial cuts to increase meat yield. It's the second most tender steak on the animal after fillet, but has more flavour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)