Hobbies Smogon Food & Cooking Thread 2

I'm not really much of a cook but I guess I can post everything I've made that I have pictures of.
I made this quite a few years ago, it has lamb, rice, and a yogurt sauce on top. It was really tasty!
This was a lot more recent, it's a vegetarian version of Kkanpunggi with chicken, I used this recipe. Apart from me burning some of the tofu due to it being the first time I made this, it was really nice. The noodles are not homemade.
This is the recipe I used, without the pinenuts. It was pretty solid.
Nothing too special about this, just frozen vegetables, egg, soy sauce, onions, a bit of sugar, and sesame oil. It was very tasty though.
This was made with this recipe, I don't remember too much about it, but I think it was fine.
Probably one of the tastier things I've made, used this recipe. The butter wasn't the right temperature so the consistency wasn't the best, and I probably should've refrigerated the dough before adding the chocolate filling and rolling it up and then braiding it, but it was still very tasty.
The original version of what I posted earlier, unfortunately I didn't really get the chicken crispy here and the sauce wasn't very thick, but it was still really flavourful.
I had tagliatelle with chilli pesto, gochujang, sriracha, chilli flakes and a bit of onion and garlic powder. Also put some chilli oil on top with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Similar to above, except I probably missed out a few of these ingredients. It's always really tasty.
Went off of this recipe, it was good but I'm not a huge fan of cheesecakes, and there wasn't enough Biscoff flavour to me (and I was supposed to add double the amount of Biscoff spread anyway iirc).
Nothing much to it really. Hard cheese, cheddar, and a Béchamel sauce, topped with breadcrumbs and more hard cheese, but it's good.
This is all I could find. Hope this isn't too many images!

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Briewear your babka looks great actually for having not refrigerated before braiding, also I understand being afraid of burning so it didn’t get as brown as it could have, which gives it a thicker/crisper top layer that won’t be so quick to absorb the simple syrup brushing and won’t become soggy

The babka is basically the only thing that's been on my mind to remake, but it's been quite a few months now and I still haven't done so. I guess I just haven't really wanted to put in the effort after how it went last time, as even though overall it was good, it wasn't what I hoped. I'm open to suggestions on how to combat this. I may be going on this 2 week cooking course soon so that might help if not, currently undecided about that though.

Ok so, update on this:
I may be going on this 2 week cooking course soon so that might help if not, currently undecided about that though.
Currently on the course, going pretty well so far and got some nice dishes. Definitely been hard on some of the days, but I think it was a good idea to go on this.
Anyway, here's the pics:

Haddock poached in milk, bay leaves, black peppercorns and onion topped with hollandaise sauce, served with poached eggs and spinach, asparagus and green beans. I didn't make the hollandaise sauce, the chef did. This dish was bland, but really wasn't that bad.

Plaice goujons and chips with tartar sauce. Unfortunately I wasn't the one that prepared the fish, really struggled with it and ran out of time, so I had to take some of the chef's goujons. Didn't make the tartar sauce either. This was a very enjoyable meal. I didn't realise how much oil mayonnaise has in it when I saw the chef making it LOL it's like 90% oil. I definitely understand the calories in it now.

Now for the final set of dishes from the week. Made these both on the same day and it was super stressful, but they both turned out great even if they were very rushed due to me falling behind.

Beef stew cooked with a Mirepoix (onion, celery, carrots), flour and beef stock from a cube. At the top is what was supposed to be glazed carrots and parsnips, but again due to falling behind they didn't have enough time to cook. There's mashed potato with butter and milk at the bottom as well. The beef stew was delicious, but the mashed potato was pretty tasteless unfortunately.

Pear and apple crumble. The crumble is just flour, butter, and demerara sugar, and the pear and apple were topped with cinnamon. Unfortunately the apple didn't cook enough due to lack of time. It tasted really good apart from that, though.
So that's all from this week, I'll probably post again at the end of next week :)

Last edited:
More butter, more salt, cheese and pepper. Does wonders

And no butter in the crumble? Looks delicious though
Yea i prob didn't have time to add anything else of anything, didn't try it before eating. But not sure if I'll want to make it again since I've never been a fan of mashed potato. If I do make it, I'll try that.
Ah forgot to put that in, i put sugar instead of butter lmao so I put sugar twice, I'll edit that now. Also thanks, it was :)

Last edited:
So that's all from this week, I'll probably post again at the end of next week :)
As promised, here is the 2nd week of food :)

Risotto with shallots, vegetable stock and Parmigiano-Reggiano, finished with goat cheese (was supposed to be peas as well but didn't have enough time). I went kind of overbaord on the cheese here lol, but i didn't regret it :P

Scones topped with powdered sugar. Unfortunately these went horribly wrong, since I was measuring the salt on top of the other ingredients, so when it was saying 0 grams of salt (I needed 1 grams), it was actually more like 6 grams. So yea, that affected the taste and aftertaste greatly unfortunately... had to throw most of them away. Was a learning experience at least!

So, I had a practice exam on one of the days. I failed pretty badly, only finished 1/3 dishes and it was an under-seasoned soup, so I left feeling pretty demotivated. Thankfully I was convinced to carry on though, don't regret doing so :)

Now here's those dishes in a much better state:

Vegetable soup with Paysanne cuts of celery, carrot, leek and onion, topped with parsley and a poached egg. Unfortunately this actually ended up being overseasoned compared to the prior soup in the practice lmao, but I enjoyed eating it afterwards when adding extra stuff to it.

Chicken madras, served with rice braised in vegetable stock and onions. I didn't add any salt to either of these prior to eating, so the rice was under-seasoned. The chicken was cooked well, but as you can see, the sauce wasn't reduced properly into a thicker consistency, due to me having the heat too low. I still very much enjoyed it afterwards by adding some salt :)

Yes, if you looked at my last post, you'd know I already made this before, but there's a new addition here due to me actually having time to make it: creme anglaise :). Apple and pear crumble with creme anglaise. All the fruit was cooked this time, crumble could've done with a bit more cooking, only reason I didn't was because the outsides were burning a bit. But as I was told, the middle consists of a lot more of the crumble than the outsides, so I should've kept that in mind. The creme anglaise was great. This was really good :)

Bonus picture of my usual pasta lol

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
i will post something in the coming few days
Is this a frozen pizza??
i had a vision of making rice krispee brains for my halloween party and i am pretty pleased with the results!!! i fear one more drop of food coloring would have made them too pinky, so i am delighted by the color turnout too~

View attachment 461484

edit: tasted GREAT
Feeling attacked for never thinking of baking my rice krispie treats?

A friend of mine in college used to always melt the butter, cereal, and marshmallow in a pan which was nasty to me but the alternative never came to mind… zzz too little too late kiddos

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Is this a frozen pizza??

Feeling attacked for never thinking of baking my rice krispie treats?

A friend of mine in college used to always melt the butter, cereal, and marshmallow in a pan which was nasty to me but the alternative never came to mind… zzz too little too late kiddos
lmao i didnt bake them that's just where i placed them to set!!!!! on a baking tray with parchment paper. no baking was involved. i like your friend melted everything into one big pot (fun) then molded them with my hands (sticky fun)

baking them would have like... made them rock hard i bet LOL so i dont recommend

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Whoever rated Whataburger highly in the old fast food tier list y'all need to fuckin explain yourselves, this is not top tier, this is the most average fast food I've had

I'm ready to fucking throw hands over this

Last edited:
Whataburger is mid as fuck but you know what's worse to the point of actually being offensively bad? Five Guys. Made the horrific mistake of going there with a friend once and between the two of us we spent almost 30 bucks on the most subpar hospital cafeteria-quality food I've ever had the misfortune of encountering in my life. If you've got a party of 4, you can walk into a Walmart and buy a microwave and some shitty frozen burgers and replicate the experience basically 1:1 for the same price.

If you're the kind of person who hypes this shit chain up, there's actually something wrong with you. You have an actual malfunction. Get that shit checked out by a doctor before it turns terminal.

antemortem

Socialization Head
Whoever rated Whataburger highly in the old fast food tier list y'all need to fuckin explain yourselves, this is not top tier, this is the most average fast food I've had

I'm ready to fucking throw hands over this
gotta agree here, Whataburger is supposed to be like “What a burger!” but in practice it ends up being like “What, a burger??”
ok chill, the honey butter chicken biscuit was popularized or at least re-popularized (before Wendy’s took off with it) at Whataburger, and as a former Texan, I owe them my life for this effort

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)