Smog Awards 2018: Voting Round!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
All the nominations have been tallied up, so let's move to the second and final round of this year's Smog awards!

Click the boxes before the names of the users you want to vote for, and when you're done, click "Submit" at the bottom of the page. As a reminder, you can vote for multiple candidates per category.

Thanks for bearing with us, and feel free to use this thread as a discussion thread; voting closes in a week, on Feb 7th, noon EST / 6:00 PM CET.

Congrats to all the nominees, and may the best one win!

—Smogon's Flying Press Staff
Quite Quiet The Dutch Plumberjack Codraroll LifeisDANK Luna martha tiki

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Wow I've been nominated for something! It's kind of weird how LL gets nominated for most improved user a second year in a row :pikuh: (I <3 you dude). All jokes aside, thank you for everyone who voted for me so far! It is an incredibly humbling feeling to be recognized for my improvements, and while I do occasionally quit after getting called out on Discord or losing a match 6-0 to Autotomize Necrozma (@frens), I still do very much enjoy Smogon and all the people I've met playing Pokemon. It's amazing how you can meet your best friends on an unofficial Pokemon discussion forum, even if they live all across the globe. The past two years has had its ups and downs, including being tournament banned, finding myself in several communities, and still being bad at Pokemon somehow. Therefore, I'd like to give a shoutout to some of the wonderful people I've met on this site since I joined back in 2016. Thank you all for making this a wonderful experience!

Failures - I know you quit a long time ago, but you do still sometimes log onto Discord just so you can flex playing Fortnite. For a long time, you were my best friend. Even though you're an 18 year old girl, and I somehow found that out maybe a few months ago (?), I still very much appreciate the friendship we have. Whether it was trolling the OU room back in early 2017, making fun of Andrew for being bad at kunc early in GC back in 2018, or even that one time we played Fortnite together, you have been a massive influence on my growth as a person. I don't know if you'll ever see this post, but if you do, thanks for always being there for me, even when I would act a little crazy.

GW - You're the second Failures. Just kidding, you've also been one of my best friends playing Pokemon. I know we haven't talked too much in a while, but it is still nice to see you log on to the NU room and win a couple of tournament games now and again. You haven't quit, but you have been very busy irl playing tennis (???) and just with tournaments overall, so I applaud you for keeping up with the clan I create every other month. I think if you really tried this year, you could definitely make smogtours playoffs, so try again this year! You were so close, you're definitely one of the most underrated players out there right now. Once smogtours becomes 8/7/6, I know you could even bring home a trophy. Keep grinding dude, and have fun playing tennis in the summer instead of winning Grand Slam with me!

banks - It feels weird to have known you well over a year now. It seems like just yesterday that I was a newbie to NU and building mega standard teams and then replacing a mon with Cacturne. When you took me up as a tutuee, it was a very great experience. You've taught me that I do have inner potential as a player, and that I have all the skill and talent there, I just need to stop and take a breather sometimes, and slow down and think. Of course I am stubborn and have never used that advice since, but once I get older and learn how to focus better I am certain that will come into play. You have been one of my best friends on this website, and while we do get into occasional arguments, it is always nice to play test games with you and steal your teams. You're one of the best contributors on this site, so congratulations to your nominations as well! I know you sometimes feel like you aren't the most appreciated user (even though you don't externally admit that), so I hope this does change your mind.

Funbot28 - What a ride the past 3 months have been. Even though we were kind of close before we started LGPE, I think that that tier really brought us together. Even though we didn't end up getting everything we wanted (yet), it has still been an awesome experience breaking away from OMs, getting our own subforum, and having a 650 user community. I know sometimes it is hard to be patient, but sooner or later all of our hard work will pay off, and we will find ourselves much happier with how the tier and community has progressed. You've been a great friend so far, and remember, patience is key (this sounds like a letter to myself reading it back tbh).
quziel Eternally Abejas poh Raseri Kiyo Finchinator Blast kay Rabia neomon rhydonphilip Chokepic Espeonage. Hootie spink Rapture Snou Go0d Garay oak i like cute things Kushalos MARCU5theBAW5 Earth Quite Quiet nui Yui. Tangelo lax Realistic Waters Ismail - Thank you all for literally raising me to be a better person both on and off the internet. If I forgot someone please don't murder me.
TONE Megazard allstarapology tondas Specs Jigglypuff Ophi0n Aaronboyer Chrisloud1 dibs Taskr Jmash324 UberSkitty - Thank you for banning Alolan Exeggutor, discussing Smash, and for some of you, making great ladder buddies at 11pm at night.
Funbot28 Ezaphs Kris ABR Cased Hayburner aim that ivy guy DatHeatmor rhydonphilip Theorymon tennisace - Thank you all for helping me in growing one of the fastest growing and biggest projects in Smogon history. I know it hasn't always been sunshine and rainbows, but we've gotten through the dark ages, and now all we have to do is wait for C&C to start before we have a growth burst once more. A special shoutouts to tennisace for guiding us when we needed help, always being there when dealing with site policy, as well as just helping us overall growing the tier and the community. I know you're busy with SPL and other Smogon 2019 plans, and I know I may annoy the shit out of you with questions, but I am extremely appreciative of what you've done to help us. Thank you :toast:.
martha Mr. Uncompetitive Hulavuta Kris (again lol) GatoDelFuego The Dutch Plumberjack Fireflame479 - I'm definitely missing people here but these are the people I remember the most so thank you guys for conversating with me, I really don't get to conversate with people on the Internet like I do on the GP server. You guys are all very accepting and somehow put up with my bullshit. Special shout out to martha for being literally the best leader alive. You're probably on my list for the top 5 best users on this site. You're always helping me out with LGPE, anything I need GP related, and can even help with PS! relations. Seriously dude, you're awesome. Remember when I was admin on Amethyst and you were a driver? Good times. Also, shoutouts to TDP for answering any questions I have, even if it's unrelated to GP or articles. You're a great guy my friend, and also another incredible contributor on Smogon. Keep doing what you're doing, you're an amazing GP checker, articles and GP leader, and overall admin. Oh, and thanks you two for running this whole awards thing!

To not leave anyone out, I guess I should mention that the RoA community that I have very quickly gotten myself acquainted with over the past week or so. It has been a real fun challenge for me to run a project of the size of the RoA C&C Revamp project, so thanks to all of you for helping out! I'd like to give a big thank you to xJoelituh Jellicent and Earthworm for helping me lead this massive project. Hopefully we can get this done before the end of 2020 (lol).

I think that's all I have to thank! I know this seems a bit weird to post in this thread before the final results came in, but this is really just a reflection of my experiences on both PS! and Smogon since I started playing online Pokemon in 2015. There are plenty of other people I can thank, like the WG crew and some of the tours community, as well as some individual mentions like Jordy and Ampha, but really I believe these were the most influential people to me this past 2018. Thank you all again so much, and even though we're already going into the second month of 2019, let's make this year a great year.

I apologize for possibly adding another cringy post, but anyways:

I had exactly 0 clue about where would I be at 2019 when I started hanging around in C&C section as a user with nothing in the early 2018. Though I can't say I made a significant progress with what I currently do here it helped me deal with heartaching pains that I experienced irl back then. As soon as I finished dealing with my own business, writing strangely turned into a hobby in this website and I kept going without taking a break.

A lot of users (users that are genuinely new to the Smogon or contribution fields) that I interact with PMs tend to tell me that they have been reading stuff that I write and say I am good at those despite appearing out of nowhere; though I appreciate those types of compliments, I had a lot of stumbles in the beginning who took a hiatus from playing Pokemon for a while and coming back after Gamefreak released Pokemon USM. As a person whose primary language isn't English I still have issues dealing with grammar (very few GPers step up to actually check my things) and I needed a lot of help for about the first 4-5 analyses.

Now, I do not wish to sound like a person who tries to be a humbling asshole after getting nominated for C&C contribution fields, but I struggled to find a proper place to share my thoughts for months. After seeing countless number of users who are just too timid to tackle on C&C and just endlessly tiptoe around the subforum, I just wanted to say that it will never hurt to give a try, go through a failure, and try again. Though I started to see increasing number of users contributing to the subforums from the end of 2018, I still see / hear about a lot of wrong perceptions about how C&C functions; just like what I went through, you can always bug QC team, bring up a conversation, and learn something every time. The only reason why I could actually bring up quality of the contents I create in the C&C section over time is because I took advantage of the existence of the QC team in the Discord ready to talk with me about anything. I'm fairly confident that anyone in with a decent amount of experience with competitive battling and open-minded attitude can at least do decent work in contributions field and complete a work that cannot be ignored by the community - you don't have to be a guy that plays in SPL / Exhibition, nor a person that peaks PS! ladder on a regular basis. I believe opening a chance for anyone to be a contributor is the true beauty of C&C that so many people fail to properly acknowledge.

Though it would be a blatant lie if I were to say that I am not overly delighted to be listed as a nominee for some awards for 2018, I still want to praise all contributors throughout C&C that put in massive work for C&C in 2018; last year has been crazy with about 20-30 people working for the betterment of the website getting recognized in a lot of ways. It is unfortunate that Smog Awards credit only a small population of avid contributors throughout this website, but I just wanted to say that even users who put in a lot of work that did not end up in nominees' list will still remain as 'good lads' in the hearts of the rest of the community, and they will eventually find their names listed in the awards, whether it will be at 2020 or later.
I'd also like to say something in defense of Ubers C&C section; when I lurk around a lot of C&C related places I hear a lot of mumbling about the tier's analysis format or the standards of the QC team. I honestly believe this is a bit too prejudiced because I know that while we may have relatively higher standards than other metagames' C&C sections we still aim to create contents that will be the best source to educate the readers. This belief may sometimes make my contents look 'fluffy' but I think it is rather better to write an analysis that goes over a lot of advanced details that beginners may struggle to entirely understand rather than making a thread filled with something that can be learnt by looking at a type chart or playing in PS! for a day or two. I have also been trying to fix myself and 'go with the flow' after Gary posted a thread about removing less important information from analyses, so I hope my personal flaws from the writing doesn't reflect the philosophy of Ubers C&C.

In addition, a lot of users I hear from PMs say that auths from Ubers C&C tend to be strict, but they will always be around if you show enough enthusiasm to learn. As long as you aren't being a stubborn asshole like I used to be, they will gladly educate you surprisingly well. Hop into the subforum some time if you'd like to give a try, and I'll try my best to make it a good experience.

Although the beauty of C&C is how fast you can get involved with the community, don't spend too much time on it though; balance out your things and actually hang out with other users and get on PS time to time, or you might end up like me and actually have a lot of people unfollow you as you turn into a nerd with one-dimensional activity.

Before the post gets longer and becomes more painful to read I'll just say that without TDP and Fireflame479 70-80% of the content creations from me will not exist today. I'd like to give them (and the rest of the GP team tbf) a huge thanks for dealing with a random foreigner who likes to spam the queue without taking a break. Lastly, I'd like to deliver my thanks to the Ubers community (especially Nayrz and his gang) for letting in a nerd who literally came out of nowhere - although outsiders may say otherwise, you guys are friendly, wild, and fun to hang around with.

dream is my favorite tournament host btw don't @ me please
Also make "Most Overlooked GPer" section so that I can spam the shit out of Fireflame next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)