VGC Smeargle

[OVERVIEW]
* Smeargle is a Pokemon with access to a strong supportive movepool, allowing it to function as a niche supportive option with great role compression.

* Smeargle works well alongside Urshifu-S, especially Choice Band variants. Along with Follow Me support, Wide Guard can protect Urshifu from common super effective spread moves like Dazzling Gleam and Bleakwind Storm.

* Smeargle's biggest weakness is its abysmal stats, necessitating the use of Focus Sash in order to give it any survivability. Due to it's dreadful Attack stat, it cannot provide any offensive pressure outside of Endeavor, and so it is almost completely reliant on its partner to deal damage.

[SET]
Support (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
Level: 50
Tera Type: Grass / Ghost
EVs: 68 HP / 60 Def / 128 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Follow Me
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard / Burning Bulwark / Endeavour

[SET COMMENTS]
* Burning Bulwark can be used to dissuade Fake Out and potentially burn physical attackers; however, Spiky Shield can be considered to block certain status effects and bypass opposing Focus Sashes.

* Decorate can punish passive play in front of Fake Out pressure and should be used alongside Pokemon slower than Smeargle in order to immediately threaten +2 attacks.

* The invested bulk allows Smeargle to survive a Tachyon Cutter from Iron Crown and almost always survive a Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R after Terastallizing into Grass.

* Tera Grass is generally preferred to be immune to Spore, though Tera Ghost can be used for a Fake Out immunity.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/jesuuuus.627748/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/choruto.646006/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/tbolt.555379/

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]
* Smeargle is a supportive Pokemon best known for learning (almost) every move in the game. This allows it to compress the roles of many supportive Pokemon, and is commonly seen with both wide guard and follow me in order to force pseudo 50/50 situations.

* Smeargle has seen its best success on teams using choice banded Single Strike Urshifu, as Smeargle's disruptive moves like spore, Fake Out (Fake out is huge, I don't think it should be left out) and its redirection can make Urshifu much easier to position. It can also be used alongside a setup Pokemon such as Gholdengo in order to cause enough disruption with spore, fake out and redirection. Decorate can also be used to boost up bulky sweepers under Trick Room (Tailwind smeargle doesn't have time to decorate) like ursaluna bloodmoon.

* Smeargle's biggest weakness is its abysmal stats and it is forced to use focus sash in order to give it any kind of survivability. It cannot provide any offensive pressure outside of endeavour.

* Smeargle's ability Moody gives it additional volatility, with Speed boosted spores particularly difficult to for opponents to handle.

[SET]
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Grass/Ghost
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Follow Me
- Wide Guard/Decorate/Endeavour / Spiky Shield / Burning Balwark
- Spiky Shield/Fake Out (Fake out is a must on smeargle, Spiky Shield has competition with Wide Guard, Endeavour and Decorate, as well as burning balwark, which the highest placing smeargle set at melbourne ran.)

[SET COMMENTS]
Mention something about the choice of moves here, specifically the choice between what third move you can get (eg. a brief explanation on when to run spiky shield and when to run balwark). An explanation behind tera ghost would also be good as newer players/non-vgc players may not understand the obivious immunity to fake out.
* Smeagle will outspeed a non-Speed Booster Energy Flutter Mane at -1 Speed, and most Dragonite, Hisuian Arcanine, commander boosted Dondozo, and Glimmora at neutral Speed.
* At +2 Speed, Smeargle will outspeed non-scarf Regieleki along with (Regieleki isn't terribly relevant right now) some Speed Booster Energy Flutter Mane.
* Smeargle will survive a Speed Booster Energy Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter, and mystic water 252+ surging strikes if it's tera grass (6.3% chance to OHKO)
* Tera grass Smeargle can survive Tera water surging strikes from Choice Scarf Urshifu, although the roll depends on how Urshifu is trained (56.3% chance to OHKO at 156+ Attack)
Add
Remove
Comment
Highlight
Amqc, implement if you like

Choruto

Sylveon <3
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I'll be doing a re-check to see if everything was implemented correctly. Make sure to use proper capitalization and form names, im sure GP's gonna have a field day with this.
Add Remove Highlight Comment
[OVERVIEW]
* Smeargle is a supportive Pokemon best known for learning (almost) every move in the game. This allows with access to a great supportive movepool, allowing (Everyone knows its gimmick, edited to flow better) it to serve a niche as a highly compressed the roles of many supportive Pokemon, option. (AP) (Made it flow a bit better, also got to more why its used, as a highly compressed supportive option on some teams) and is commonly seen with both wide guard and follow me in order to force pseudo 50/50 situations. (You mention this later in set comments)

* Smeargle has seen its best success on teams (Refrain from saying/using success as a metric for a validity of a mon, sucess doesent really explain why its good. Also, you go on to say smeargle makes Urshifu easier to position with disruption, but isen't that true of every Pokemon? Mention specific things like providing immunity to Dazzling/Bleakwind with wide guard, and also fast spores for example) using choice banded Single Strike Urshifu, Urshifu-S, especially Choice Banded variants as Smeargle's disruptive moves (Dont really like disruptive moves, Follow Me isent really disruptive) like spore and its redirection can makes Urshifu much easier to position. It can also be used alongside a s Set up Pokemon such as Gholdengo Raging Bolt (Gholdengo is really random) in order to cause enough disruption (Can you find another way to phrase this? You've said disruption already, and not really why disruption helps it set up) with spore, fake out and redirection (You mention this later). Decorate can also be used to boost up bulky sweepers like ursaluna bloodmoon. (Decorate has like 0 use)

* Smeargle's biggest weakness is its extremely underwhelming stats spread, and it is forced to use focus sash in order to give it necessitating the use of Focus Sash for any kind semblance of survivability (Rewording this, also you dident mention why its stat spread is a weakness). It cannot provide any Its pitiful attack stats means it has no offensive pressure outside of Endeavour. Opponents can take advantage of its passiveness to focus down Smeargle's partners, rendering it useless. (Expanded on this, you could probably write more. Passiveness is a massive problem for pretty much every support, Smeargle being no different, suffering from all my friends are dead syndrome like crazy)

* Smeargle's ability Moody gives it additional volatility (Gonna refrain from completely re-writing this, but volatility is generally not a good thing. Could you phrase this like "Smeargle's ability Moody is a double edged sword, ___"?), with Speed boosted spores particularly difficult to for opponents to handle.

[SET]
Smeargle @ Focus Sash (Give the set a name)
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Follow Me
- Wide Guard/Decorate Burning Bulwark/Endeavour
- Spiky Shield/Fake Out (As said before, decorate has 0 usage, I switched it and protect as fake out is neccesary. Burning Bulwark is generally used more than spiky shield)

[SET COMMENTS]
* Smeagle will outspeed a non-Speed Booster Energy Flutter Mane at -1 Speed, and most Dragonite, Hisuian Arcanine, commander boosted Dondozo, and Glimmora at neutral Speed.
* At +2 Speed, Smeargle will outspeed non-scarf Regieleki along with some Speed Booster Energy Flutter Mane.
(We only mention specific calcs here, this is 252+ dont need to explain it)
* Smeargle will survive a Speed Booster Energy Iron Crown The invested bulk allows Smeargle to survive a Tachyon Cutter from Iron Crown, and mystic water 252+ surging strikes if it's tera grass (6.3% chance to OHKO) almost always survive a Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R after Terastalizing into Grass (Phrased this better, and cut down some of the unnecessary stuff)
* Tera grass Smeargle can survive Tera water surging strikes from Choice Scarf Urshifu, although the roll depends on how Urshifu is trained (56.3% chance to OHKO at 156+ Attack) (No Shifu runs less than 156+ attack)

(Explain the tera choices, why Grass and Ghost?)

[CREDITS]
(Include Credits!!!)
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

Last edited:
I'll be doing a re-check to see if everything was implemented correctly. Make sure to use proper capitalization and form names, im sure GP's gonna have a field day with this.
ok have implemented some of those suggestions. I think the only big thing I kept was calling smeargle's Moody volatile, as I think thats a better way of putting it. ty for th help. lemme know if anything else needs changing

Last edited:

Choruto

Sylveon <3
I'll do one more check after these changes are implemented. Please keep the format provided here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/vgc-2024-analysis-format.3711711/ and here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/analysis-writing-guidelines-new-writers-please-read.3734415/ when writing, and listen to my feedback, this isen't really suggestions more "Please do X". I've sent you a dm on discord with some questions.
[OVERVIEW]
* Smeargle is a Pokemon with access to a strong supportive movepool, allowing it to function as a niche, compressed supportive option. (Was gonna say could be phrased better but I was the one who suggested these changes lol, GP will probably do it.)

* Smeargle works well alongside Single Strike Urshifu Urshifu-S (As I said, form names, this is how you write Urshifu and Lando for example), especially Choice Banded variants. Smeargle's fast Spores support Urshifu against threats like Primarina and Iron Hands, while (Primarina and Hands are like, non issues in the metagame. If you mention fast spores, just say in general like "Smeargle can launch fast spores or smh", even then I wouldent mention fast spores at all) Along with Follow Me support, Wide Guard can protect against be used to shield Urshifu-S from common super effective spread moves, such as Dazzling Gleam from Flutter Mane or Farigiraf, Tornadus' and Bleakwind Storm, or Chi-Yu's Heat Wave (Too many examples, trimming. Also mentioned follow me). Smeargle can also support setup Pokemon, like Gholdengo, using Follow Me's redirection and Fake Out to prevent threats from moving. (As I said before, why Gholdengo? Something like Bolt is a much more present as a metagame threat. Even then smeargle hasent seen any usage with set up mons, you cant afford the passivity of leading smeargle + a set up mon, its why its usually paired with Torkoal, Dark fu,

* Smeargle's biggest weakness is its abysmal across the board stats. It's defensive stats necessitates, (AC) necessitating the use of Focus Sash in order to give it any survivability. Due to it's dreadful attack stat, it cannot provide any offensive pressure outside of Endeavour, and hence is almost completely reliant on it's partner to deal damage. Smeargle can suffer from "all my friends are dead" syndrome, although not as much as some of its supportive counterparts like Amoonguss, as it's frailty and redirection mean it can be hard to avoid KOing Smeargle. When used, Smeargle is often in the lead as it cannot be safely switched in and to avoid it being left alone in the back. (Overwriting, you already got the point across earlier)

* Smeargle's ability Moody gives it additional volatility, (Heres the thing right, you say volatility but you dont mention anything bad about its ability. If its volatile, say then that it can also lower its speed. Honestly I wouldent even mention it at all, its not a massive part of the mon) with Speed boosted Spore (Phrase this differently, It sounds like the Spores are the one being speed booster) particularly difficult for opponents to handle as it outspeeds almost every Pokemon in the game. (I mean obviously)

[SET]
Compressed Support (For set names, you generally put it in the nicknames itself)
Support___ (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Follow Me
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard / Decorate / Burning Bulwark / Spiky Shield / Endeavour (I said this earlier, its just kind of bad, Smeargle is too frail to properly use it and not fast enough to outspeed major threats)

[SET COMMENTS]
* Decorate is best used with bulky partners slower than Smeargle, such as Blood Moon Ursaluna, in order to threaten sweeps with +2 Hyper Voice or equivalent. (If you really really want to use decorate, just use Alcremie in TR then! I just dont see the point)
* Burning Bulwark is generally more popular due to it's ability to burn physical attackers like Rillaboom, although Spiky Shield may also be used to block Taunts from Tornadus, or Spores from Amoonguss. used to dissuade Fake Out and potentially burn physical attackers, however Spiky Shield can be used to block certain status effects and remove opposing Focus Sash. (Trimming a bit)
(Make sure to add a space here!)
* Tera Grass can be used is generally preferred to resist Urshifu's Surging Strikes, and can also be used to safely redirect Spores. Tera Ghost can also be used for a fake out immunity
* Tera Ghost can be used for a Fake Out immunity, along with safely redirecting Dragonite's Extreme Speed. (Merged these 2 for better flow, also removed the type immunity stuff, like your dropping to surging strikes from tera water shifu even if you tera grass lmao)
(Space)
* Smeagle will outspeed a non-Speed Booster Energy Flutter Mane at -1 Speed, and most Dragonite, Hisuian Arcanine, Commander Boosted Dondozo, and Glimmora at neutral Speed.
* At +2 Speed, Smeargle will outspeed some Speed Booster Energy Flutter Mane.
(As I said, its 252+ speed, we only talk about specific investments for evs, not just what it generally outspeeds.)
* Smeargle will always survive a Speed Booster Energy Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter.
* Tera Grass Smeargle will almost always survive a Mystic Water Surging Strikes.
* Tera Grass Smeargle will sometimes survive Tera Water Surging Strikes from Choice Scarf Urshifu
(56% is not an encouraging calc)
* The invested bulk allows Smeargle to survive a Tachyon Cutter from Iron Crown, and almost always survive a Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R after Terastallizing into Grass
(Please keep this format, far more easier to read.)

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

Last edited:

Choruto

Sylveon <3
Yo I missed this, but looks good for GP. Make sure to update the flair and ping them
[OVERVIEW]
* Smeargle is a Pokemon with access to a strong supportive movepool, allowing it to function as a niche, compressed supportive option.

* Smeargle works well alongside Urshifu-S, especially Choice Banded variants. Along with Follow me support, Wide Guard can protect Urshifu from common super effective spread moves like Dazzling Gleam and Bleakwind Storm.

* Smeargle's biggest weakness is its abysmal stats, necessitating the use of Focus Sash in order to give it any survivability. Due to it's dreadful attack stat, it cannot provide any offensive pressure outside of Endeavour, and hence is almost completely reliant on it's partner to deal damage.

[SET]
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Follow Me
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard / Decorate / Burning Bulwark / Spiky Shield / Endeavour

[SET COMMENTS]
* Burning Bulwark can be used to dissuade Fake Out and potentially burn physical attackers, however Spiky Shield can be considered to block certain status effects and remove opposing Focus Sash.

* Decorate can punish passive play infront of Fake Out pressure, and should be used alongside Pokemon slower than Smeargle in order to immediately threaten +2 attacks.

* The invested bulk allows Smeargle to survive a Tachyon Cutter from Iron Crown, and almost always survive a Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R after Terastallizing into Grass.

* Tera Grass is generally preferred to redirect Spore, although Tera Ghost can be used for a Fake Out immunity.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

AMGP Check, implement what you like. Good job overall.

[OVERVIEW]
* Smeargle is a Pokemon with access to a strong supportive movepool, allowing it to function as a niche, compressed supportive option.

* Smeargle works well alongside Urshifu-S, especially Choice Banded variants. Along with Follow me support Follow Me helps keep Urshifu-S alive by redirecting attacks, and Wide Guard can protect Urshifu from common super effective spread moves like Dazzling Gleam and Bleakwind Storm.

* Smeargle's biggest weakness is are its abysmal stats, and needing to necessitating the use a of Focus Sash in order to give it any survivability. Due to it's dreadful attack stat, it cannot provide any offensive pressure meaningful damage (you could probably keep this part how it normally was, I changed it because most support Pokemon don't offer meaningful damage either.) outside of Endeavour, and hence which means it (and hence sounded a bit weird to me) is almost completely reliant on it's partner to deal damage.

[SET]
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Follow Me
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard / Decorate / Burning Bulwark / Spiky Shield / Endeavour (I personally think 5 move options is too much, see if you can cut down on them)

[SET COMMENTS]
* Burning Bulwark can be used to dissuade Fake Out and to potentially burn physical attackers, however Spiky Shield can be considered to block certain status effects and remove and to nullify opposing Focus Sashes.

* Decorate can punish passive play infront of Fake Out pressure, and should be used alongside Pokemon slower than Smeargle in order to immediately threaten +2 attacks or special attack.

* The invested bulk allows Smeargle to survive a Tachyon Cutter from Iron Crown (specify what crown set), and almost always survive a Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R after Terastallizing into Grass. a Tera Grass.

* Tera Grass is generally preferred to redirect Spore's and for Urshifu-R's Surging Strikes, although Tera Ghost can be used for an immunity to Fake Out and Extreme Speed immunity.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

Last edited:
add remove comment

[OVERVIEW]
* Smeargle is a Pokemon with access to a strong supportive movepool, allowing it to function as a niche, (RC) compressed supportive option with great role compression (Saying that a Pokemon is compressed implies that it has literally been compressed, not that it provides role compression.).

* Smeargle works well alongside Urshifu-S, especially Choice Banded variants. Along with Follow me Me support, Wide Guard can protect Urshifu from common super effective spread moves like Dazzling Gleam and Bleakwind Storm.

* Smeargle's biggest weakness is its abysmal stats, necessitating the use of Focus Sash in order to give it any survivability. Due to it's its dreadful attack Attack stat, it cannot provide any offensive pressure outside of Endeavour Endeavor (Smogon uses American English and thus American spellings), and hence so it is almost completely reliant on it's its partner to deal damage.

[SET]
Tera Type: Grass/Ghost Grass / Ghost
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Follow Me
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard / Decorate Endeavor / Burning Bulwark / Spiky Shield / Endeavour (You should only have 3 moves in the set itself, but you can have more in the analysis. I removed Decorate and Endeavor because you discuss Wide Guard, Endeavor, and Burning Bulwark in that order.)

[SET COMMENTS]
* Burning Bulwark can be used to dissuade Fake Out and potentially burn physical attackers,; (ASC, RC) however, (AC) Spiky Shield can be considered to block certain status effects and remove bypass opposing Focus Sashes.

* Decorate can punish passive play infront in front of Fake Out pressure, (RC) and should be used alongside Pokemon slower than Smeargle in order to immediately threaten +2 attacks.

* The invested bulk allows Smeargle to survive a Tachyon Cutter from Iron Crown, (RC) and almost always survive a Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R after Terastallizing into Grass.

* Tera Grass is generally preferred to redirect be immune to Spore, although though Tera Ghost can be used for a Fake Out immunity.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/tbolt.555379/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)