OU SM OU Secret Santa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
approved by mods!

1639050443637.png

art by Kiwi!!
Happy Holidays everyone, and welcome to the SM Secret Santa event! It’s similar to real-life Secret Santa exchanges, except grown adults won’t look at you funny for gifting them teams of Pokémon! In case you’ve never participated in a Secret Santa before, here’s how it works:
  1. Sign up to participate by Tuesday, December 14th
  2. DM me, and provide a single Pokémon or small core of Pokémon you would like to have a team made with.
  3. Get anonymously paired with another user.
  4. Design a team for your partner around their chosen Pokémon or core before the submission deadline (Wednesday, December 22nd)
  5. On Christmas Day, receive your gifted team via DM from me!
  6. (Optional but recommended): Discuss your team/thank your Secret Santa in this thread!
General Rules:
  • To sign up, post "in" in this thread (or otherwise make it obvious that you want to participate in your post).
  • Please, only sign up if you can commit to building a team for your partner. I can help a little if needed but can’t build for everyone!
  • This is a Secret Santa – don’t reveal what your request was or what request you received!
Submission Rules:
  • DM me (on Discord @Magnum#1320 or on Smogon) with your requested Pokémon/core after signing up, but before the submission deadline. If you don’t send me a request before the deadline, your sign-up will unfortunately have to be disqualified! Don’t make me be a Grinch!
  • Try to keep requests limited to UU-viable Pokémon. If you really want a team with an unranked Pokémon, you can request it, but the resulting team may not be as viable as you might hope!
  • Requests of cores are preferable to requests of individual Pokémon (for example, Ash Greninja + Garchomp, instead of just Ash Greninja), unless one of the Pokémon is difficult to build with.
  • It will make it much easier for your Secret Santa to build a team you like if you also include the style of team you would like built with your requested Pokémon/core (ex. bulky offense, balance, hyper offense, stall, sun, etc.)
  • If you would like the Pokémon you request to have a specific set, please mention this in your request!
Again, the all-important deadlines:

The sign-up deadline to participate in the project is: Tuesday, December 14th
The final team submission deadline is: Wednesday, December 22nd

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

Last edited:

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reminder for those of you who’ve signed up to message me the Pokémon you’d like either here or at on Discord (Magnum#1320)! There’s still a couple days left to sign up!

Rae

valiance and vigor
Changing this up due to my decreased availability during the holiday season: When you are done building your team, wait until Christmas Day. When the big day comes, send it in here and discuss! Hopefully this is also much nicer as you yourself are giving the gift :]

Merry Christmas to all in advance!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The pokemon my requester wanted is Mega Diancie: a useful offensive entry hazard setter and denier. I like it a lot, however I find it hard to build around it, as it is frail and threaten by common pokemon and attacks-:greninja-ash::landorus-therian::kartana::scizor-mega:etc...One of its main advantages is its capacity to chase off Mega Medicham and dragon types as well as beating Tornadus and Zapdos for its teammates. We mainly see it with offensive mons weak to stealth rocks such as Kyurem Black and Volcarona, but this time, with the recent ban of Kyurem in the current gen and the cold season we are entering, I wanted to try something with regular Kyurem.
---------------------------------
A Shiny Winter

:sm/diancie-mega::sm/Kyurem::sm/magnezone::sm/tapu-fini::sm/celesteela::sm/landorus-therian:
click me

• :diancie-mega::diancite:: Diancie is our stealth rocks setter. It works great with Kyurem, while Diancie can protect Kyurem from hazards, Kyurem can get rid of annoying mons forDiancie such as Tangrowth or Bulu. Its good speed tier, powerful moonblast as well as a way to hit steel types such as heatran and magearna makes it a dangerous asset of this team.

• :Kyurem::metronome:: Kyurem, sadly only an average pokemon is smou. But still, its typing, bulk, and ability can transform it into a powerful breaker against a lot of balance or BO, especially the ones relying on Gliscor core. Ice beam is strong, threatening every single ground type in the game and with metronome becoming a pressuring attack for the opponent. Earth power completes the ice-ground god-like coverage. Don't think I need to explain further what can do a sub-roost mon with pressure.

• :magnezone::electrium-z:: With Diancie and Kyurem together some pokemon are hard to break, mainly Celesteela, Ferrothorn and Scizor which Magnezone can trap.

• :tapu-fini::leftovers:: Fini is our main ash greninja and fire moves switch in and defog user. A bulky spread makes it useful against rain (Kyurem being already annoying for it) and fighting moves coverage (and Hawlucha).

• :celesteela::leftovers:: Celesteela completes the defensive core with Fini, being able to switch on psychic and grass. It reduces our weakness to scarf kartana as well.

• :landorus-therian::choice-scarf:: Landorus is mainly here for speed control and a way to revenge kill Lopunny, Koko or Alakazam. It forms a double defog core with Fini which is useful but you could run explosion as well.

---------------------------------

Is it over? Will you only get one gift this year? Believe it or not, another "surprise" is here for you. I don't know what style you like to play, so I decided to build an HO around the core of Diancie and Magnum's mascot Dragonite (to be honest I wasn't convinced by the first team). In my opinion, this one is better, but I will let you decide which one you prefer.

A Warmer Light

:sm/diancie-mega::sm/landorus-therian::sm/dragonite::sm/kommo-o::sm/serperior::sm/magearna:(so tiny)
click me
  • :Diancie-mega::diancite:: Diancie all-out attacker with hp fire and the three other classic moves. Try to catch Ferro or Scizor on the switch. Don't hesitate to use magic bounce aggressively to preserve Dragonite's multiscale.

• :Landorus-therian::focus-sash:: suicide lead Lando with defog to prevent any hazards on your side. Rock tomb is really useful btw.

• :dragonite::flyinium-z:: Dragonite is a powerful sweeper with its Z-fly and its access to extreme speed. Straight forward to use.

• :kommo-o::custap-berry:: Custap berry sword dance Kommo-o is really good. Substitute and drain punch gives it longevity while thunder punch is mainly here for Toxapex. You can try an ice punch, thunder punch and drain punch set for better coverage but it would be harder against the pex. If you are low on health, the Custap will activate and drain punch will give you a second chance at breaking. mess recently with it on the ladder, it is crazy cool. You can always use the belly drum set if you don't like the custap.

• :serperior::choice-scarf:: a way to break rain, to glare things, to get rid of uncontrollable kartana and an emergency defog for Dragonite.

• :magearna::shuca-berry:: lure landorus or Garchomp and gives you another finisher. I tried a calm mind version to break the opposition but it leaves you with narrow coverage. your choice here.
I hope you will enjoy these teams and your holidays. Thank you for organizing the event, it was fun! If you want to suggest some improvements for the teams or just your feelings about them, I will be happy to discuss it with you.

Last edited:

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
Here to share the team I made, based around Choice Band Hippowdon as requested. Whoever you are, hope you enjoyed the final team as much as I enjoyed making it :smogduck:

Sandy Sparks: CB Hippo Electric Terrain BO
:sm/hippowdon::sm/kyurem-black::sm/tapu-koko::sm/scizor-mega::sm/landorus-therian::sm/kommo-o:

(Click sprites above for importable)
:choice-band::hippowdon:is pretty much outclassed by other Ground- type wallbreakers in the tier. Hence, this team works by its ability to lure its standard switchins and smack them hard, which is complemented by the beautiful array of its offensive movepool: STAB EQ cleanly OHKOes:toxapex:greedy enough to stay in expecting a defensive set and Thunder Fang in Electric Terrain allows it to 2HKO:celesteela:& even:skarmory:, all of which is appreciated by SD:scizor-mega:. Moreover, Fire Fang hits opposing :scizor-mega:&:ferrothorn: while Ice Fang lures in Ground- types like:landorus-therian:&:gliscor:which gives the offensive core of:kyurem-black:+:tapu-koko:more opportunity to wreak havoc.:icium-z::Kyurem-black:is another wallbreaker for the team: helps overwhelm:rotom-wash:, deals with other Ground- immune targets like:zapdos:&:latias-mega: and bulky Grasses like:tangrowth:&:venusaur-mega: which:hippowdon:can't threaten, while:tapu-koko:provides pivoting & electric terrain for the previous 2 wallbreakers. Next,:Scizor-mega:checks:kartana:& PsySpam, more pivot, and the team's wincon as it appreciates the former members dealing with its checks. With:hippowdon:taking an offensive route, another Ground- type to check opposing Electric types is a welcome one - hence:choice-scarf::landorus-therian:, which additionally provides speed control, Ground immunity, Defog, and soft checks various physical attackers. Lastly, SpDef:kommo-o:provides Stealth Rock and checks:greninja-ash:&:heatran:.

252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 338-398 (111.1 - 130.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Thunder Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Electric Terrain: 180-212 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor-Mega: 284-336 (82.7 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Ice Fang vs. 244 HP / 52 Def Gliscor: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everybody reading this, see you around in the SM forums! :psyglad:

~~:hippowdon::kyurem-black::tapu-koko::scizor-mega::landorus-therian::kommo-o:~~​

Last edited:

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Merry Christmas guys! While in my country it's slightly under two weeks before this celebration, the atmosphere created by everyone makes me feel holiday-ish too!
Anyway, I was requested to build a team around SubPunch MMawile + CM Clefable. Coincidentally, I have been trying to make this MMawile work for quite a bit time, so I was strongly determined to create a nice squad. There we go, the result:

(click the mons)
For starters, I took the liberty of changing the initial EVs of Clefable to a fully physically defensive spread, since I believe you need it here. Thunder on Clefable not only can overwhelm Toxapex but also has a potential to spread paralysis around, supporting the slow MMawile.
My initial idea after seeing the core was fitting in Spikes — they would definitely help both members to perform their tasks. Ferrothorn was the first hazard setter I've tried to work in, but that resulted into some atrocious frameworks & restrictions. So Greninja is the go-to setter here; funnily enough I managed to add it as a last Pokemon while have ditched the (Ferrothorn) Spikes idea.
Celesteela and Kommo-o together with Clefable complete the defensive backbone of the team. Celesteela was the first Steel-type that came to my mind, since the requestor mentioned a huge weakness to Psychics in the framework they've tried. Kommo-o was a perfect fit when i was searching for a Stealth rock setter, Heatran & Ash-Greninja check and an Electric resist. Scarf Landorus-T ended up here fulfilling some other crucial roles, as usual, and also providing the U-turn support the requestor mentioned.

Whoever has requested this: I truly hope you will enjoy the team! While it mostly avoids big issues against Psyspam, that kinda traded for another problem — Rain; but I don't mean it's unwinnable, just hard to play around. Also apologies that I couldn't fit two VoltTurners as you wanted, but I personally feel like one should be enough on that framework. Again, I hope you (and everyone who reads, at that) will like this one! Happy holidays y'all!

Wildcat Formation

flexibly adaptable to the situation
is a Tiering Contributor

Hey. So I got M-Tyranitar + Serperior as a request. To be honest, this core was tougher than I thought. I couldn't find one solo team that I truly liked, so instead I'll show you 6(!) teams that I tried out and tested.

:tyranitar-mega: :toxapex: :tornadus-therian: :magearna: :gliscor: :serperior:

This is the first version of the team that took 5 minutes to decide the 6 mons. M-Tar is the classic rocks 3 attacks. Superpower is a good catch-all move that hits Ferrothorn and Heatran hard in one slot. I felt that Toxpaex was necessary for this core because it can remove Toxic Spikes, something that M-Tar and Serp really hate. AV Gear to slow down Psyspam, Torn-T for a faster pivot with Defog and a nuke Z, and SD Gliscor as the sturdy Ground and Ground-immune that can be a win-con. Made Pex Payapa to get a surprise Toxic on M-Medicham and/or Lele/Zam. It was tough deciding Serp's set but I couldn't get away with no HP Fire. No Leech should be fine when you have 2 good Heatran pivots in M-Tar and Gliscor. Team looks ok on paper but kinda flopped in tests for some reason.

:tyranitar-mega: :toxapex: :tornadus-therian: :magearna: :serperior: :excadrill:

Makes sense to try out Excadrill sand when you have a M-Tyranitar. Magearna is Shuca to alleviate an Earthquake weakness and can surprise Thunder Wave Torn-T and M-Zam. Torn-T is AV here to better play around M-Zam. SpA investment is enough to 2HKO Gliscor with HP Ice. HP Fire is still needed on Serp here, but I'm running Leech over Glare to chip Heatran better.

:tyranitar-mega: :gliscor: :magnezone: :toxapex: :celesteela: :serperior:

When you have Serperior as a request, you definitely want to at least try out its best set, robopoke Serp. His RMT single-handedly rose Serperior to OU, yet I feel like he doesn't get enough credit for inventing the set. Nevertheless, the best SubSeed Glare Serperior partner on paper is Magnezone who can trap Ferro and M-Scizor for it. Unfortunately I had to make it Scarf here because the team desperately needed speed. Celesteela was added as a Ground and Psyspam check. With Magnezone support, it can run HP Ice to counter SD Gliscor. Gliscor is the Defogger and secondary Heatran switch. Pex is the filler Z-Haze, but Z-Haze is nice vs Hawlucha in particular.

I like the last 3 teams more than the first 3. I'm really paranoid about Toxic Spikes, and M-Tyranitar and Serperior I would say hate it more than the average mon. Another option was running Tapu Fini over Toxapex for the Misty Terrain support. I was hesitant to run it at first since its Leftovers would be canceled out by M-Tar's sand, but it isn't the worst thing in the world.

So this team is a version of the third team with better speed control since it has Scarf Lando-T. Fini can serve as the secondary Heatran pivot, Defogger, and Toxic Spikes deterrent. Made Magnezone Timid so it has a chance to chip down or outright trap opposing Magnezone. Only frustrating thing about this team is that it's hilariously weak versus AV Tangrowth out of all mons. I just try to trade blows with it using M-Tar and possibly Pursuit trap it. Magnezone can be either Z really.

Zapdos is a good partner to M-Tyranitar and Serperior. Of course it pairs nicely with M-Tyrantiar since it checks Kartana, but the combination of M-Tar + Zapdos can really punish Torn-T which opens the door for Serperior. Zap has enough speed for Jolly Lando-T and enough SpA to 2HKO any variant of Gliscor. It is wearing the filler Z; it can switch into Kart's Knocks easier and can get a surprise KO vs mons that thought they tanked after revealing Volt Switch. This team is more reactive that prioritizes on keeping hazards off rather than keeping them up. Team also utilizes 4 attacks M-Tar which is a pretty cool breaker, so the rocker is on Excadrill instead. Fini is full Physdef just so it can force out M-Medicham once; didn't like the idea of immediately saccing something if it wants to make the hard switch vs M-Tyranitar.

Hyper offense! This is probably the best way to use M-Tar + Serp together, but I'm real good at building HO. I gave it a shot here. Because, once again, I'm paranoid about Toxic Spikes, I wanted some counterplay versus it. There was a CM Soak Fini set that I've read about before, and I thought it was a good fit here. All of a sudden Pex and other Fairy resists can't just sit vs it. Standard HO stuff outside of the relic Autotomize Celesteela, which was added moreso for some defensive utility than an actual sweep. Very hit or miss Pokemon, but it can weaken Heatran for Magearna in the back.

These two were fun to try and build around. I hope whoever requested this core likes any of these teams, and happy holidays!

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
I was requested to build around Porygon-Z: one of my favorite cleaners in the tier. I'm really tired after today and I wanted to get this out to whoever it was that wanted it, so let me give this a short breakdown:

Porygon-Z + HP Fire KyuB Bulky Offense

:ss/porygon-z::ss/landorus-therian::ss/scizor-mega::ss/kyurem-black::ss/rotom-wash::ss/tapu-fini:

Z-Conversion Porygon-Z is capable of using numerous Pokemon such as AV Magearna, Tornadus-T, Skarmory, Celesteela, Mega Scizor, or Rotom-Wash as setup fodder and utilize its access to Recover to stay healthy for incoming priority that may attempt to revenge kill it. As such it can be a really potent cleaner, but is incredibly positioning reliant in order to get that initial Z-Conversion off. The idea of this team is to pick away at standard Porygon-Z checks like Excadrill and Ferrothorn utilizing a specialized Kyurem-Black set as well as repeated momentum spam in the form of Mega Scizor, Choice Scarf Rotom-Wash, and Landorus-T to position Porygon-Z and chip at potential Porygon-Z blockades.

:landorus-therian: - Landorus-T is Landorus-T; your standard Electric-immunity, Earthquake immunity, Stealth Rock setter, and defensive pivot which can also be amazing in positioning Porygon-Z against its setup fodder.

:scizor-mega: - Mega Scizor is a fantastic defensive pivot and a highly solid blanket check against a gigantic amount of the metagame, including threats like Mega Alakazam, Mega Lopunny, Tapu Lele, Kartana, and Excadrill. Knock Off/Superpower are solid alternatives over Swords Dance but Swords Dance gives it consistent cleaning power if Porygon-Z can't pull it off against Chansey structures, and is also a great beneficiary of Kyurem-Black's breaking abilities.

:kyurem-black: - Kyurem-Black is a dedicated, general-purpose wallbreaker with a smidgeon of defensive utility against Rotom-Wash if you can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Hidden Power Fire lets it snipe Ferrothorn, Excadrill, and Mega Scizor, the former two of which are major annoyances for Porygon-Z.

:rotom-wash: - Rotom-Wash utilizes a Choice Scarf set here, and not only can use Trick to cripple Special walls but makes use of one as pretty fantastic Speed control which this team otherwise kind of lacks. Scarf Wisp is a delicious punisher against speedy threats like Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham which can be egregious to pivot around, and is also a solid midground if you don't want to commit to Hydro/Volt one way or another while Choice locked.

:tapu-fini: - Tapu Fini is your standard defensive Defog variant. The much needed Ash Greninja check with the ability to very reliably accrue damage/disrupt fat with the combo of Taunt + Nature's Madness, which can be great for Scizor and Porygon-Z. Misty Terrain is nifty for Porygon-Z and Scizor which can be inconvenienced by Toxic and Wisp respectively.

but wait, there's more

:porygon-z::landorus-therian::scizor-mega::kyurem-black::tornadus-therian::tapu-bulu:

This variant is also solid. A bit of an oddball set with Tapu Bulu, but the idea of it is to compress speed control and an Ash Greninja check into one slot; the SpDef EVs are designed to take two Hydro Pumps after Stealth Rock damage. You can also do this with Tapu Fini if you'd prefer, but Grassy Terrain + Leech Seed on a forced switch can be really nifty for keeping your Speed control and Ash Greninja check around, while also making setup a bit more straight-forward for Porygon-Z. Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu also is just a lot better in the Rain matchup.

In general I've found you can really mix and match Rotom-Wash, Tornadus-T, Tapu Fini, and Tapu Bulu around for the last two slots. It's really your call either way, but Fini/Bulu do need to have a Choice Scarf when using Tornadus-T, and Rotom-Wash needs a Choice Scarf if not being run with a Scarfed Tapu since this team is critically lacking in speed control otherwise.

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpA / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness / Defog
- Trick

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Defog

I hope whoever requested this enjoys this! If you have any questions you're more than welcome to VM me. Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)