Pokémon Slither Wing

1668937408402.png

Slither Wing

Base Stats
: 85 / 135 / 79 / 85 / 105 / 81 (BST 570)

Notable Moves:
First Impression
U-Turn
Close Combat
Flare Blitz
Flame Charge
Earthquake
Wild Charge
Substitute
Will-O-Wisp
Bulk Up
Tera Blast

Level Up:
Bug Bite
Ember
Gust
Poison Powder
Stun Spore
Flame Charge
Stomp
Low Sweep
Lunge
Superpower
Bulk Up
Dual Wingbeat
First Impresion
Whilwind
Leech Life
Thrash

TM Moves: Take Down, Protect, Low Kick, Acrobatics, Trailblaze, Facade, Aerial Ace, Flame Charge, Low Sweep, Endure, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, Brick Break, Zen Headbutt, U-Turn, Bulk Up, Body Slam, Sleep Talk, Stomping Tantrum, Rest, Body Press, Leech Life, Substitute, Will-O-Wisp, Giga Drain, Heat Wave, Heavy Slam, Reversal, Wild Charge, Earthquake, Giga Impact, Hurricane, Bug Buzz, Hyper Beam, Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Tera Blast

Pros:
Excellent Attack stat of base 135
Access to STAB First Impression
Ability to revenge kill strong sweepers from full (Roaring Moon, Meowscarada, Chien-Pao) or after some chip (Palafin, Maushold)
Breaks past common Offensive Cores whichrely on Flutter Mane as their Bug Resist (chipping it down with U-Turn)

Cons:
Walled by most Posion Types (Toxapex, Clodsire)
Prediction reliant
Difficulty switching in without heavy support

Terastallize Potential:
Using Tera Bug to get stronger First Impressions
Using Tera Blast Ghost or Steel to lure pokemon such as Flutter Mane and Dragapult to put them in First Impression range

Potential Sets:

Slither Wing @ Choice Band
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Bug / Steel/ Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- First Impression
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Earthquake / Flare Blitz / Wild Charge / Tera Blast

the standard set of Slither Wing, throws off strong First Impressions, Close Combats and U-Turns. The last move can be used to lure Clodsire / Toxapex, Gholdengo, Pelliper and Dragapult / Flutter Mane Respectively.

Slither Wing @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Morning Sun / Will-O-Wisp / Flame Charge
- Leech Life
- Close Combat

This set aim to set up with Bulk Up and sweep unprepared teams or break huge holes in such teams. This set's main success is through surprise factor and is extremely matchup fishy, but it can show good results in certain cases.

Overall:
Slither Wing is an interesting option in such an offensive metagame, being able to revenge kill threats while still being able to break past defensive centerpieces can be extremely key in some games. Slither Wing may not be good into some teams depending on what coverage it has chosen, but it is always able to use U-Turn in order to bypass it's 4MSS.

What do you think about Larvesta on steroids Slither Wing? be sure to discuss about it here!

Last edited:
Set I would try on this: U-Turn, CC, WoW, Morning Sun. Walled by Ghost, Poison, Fairy and Flying types, but still an offensive threat vs the rest, excellent Dark check, Ground resist, supporter with WoW and at the same time a pivot. Idk the EVs, leaving those to people who can actually play the meta.

I love using this guy actually. I've always found him to be reliable as a revenge killer for many mons in the tier like Roaring Moon and Chien-Pao, denies Shed Tail shenanigans decently, and his bulk is just good enough to make switch-ins. Reminds me a lot of Scarf Heracross in past gen lower tiers.

Bug/Fighting is not a desirable defensive type in this meta (he does resist all of Great Tusk's moves which is neat) but its truly useful offensively. A lot of the offensive mons in the tier are weak to either Fighting or Bug or take severe damage from a neutral move from Slither. I think the fact he gets a pivoting move AND has bulk is a point in his favor.

Not a top mon by any means but he's fun.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
I’ve been playing around with a Scarf set on my Sun team:

Slither Wing @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Bug/Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Dropping First Impression sounds weird but this set accomplishes the same thing with its speed, although you lose the ability to revenge +1 Roaring Moon and certain Scarfers. Having so much kill power on a fast U-Turn means it excels at forcing switches and getting a free switch to a check.

Out of curiosity why would you choice band with first impression, after using once wouldn't you not be able to attack again?

Out of curiosity why would you choice band with first impression, after using once wouldn't you not be able to attack again?
Choice Band/Specs mons tend to operate as if they will switch out within the turn after their first attack, more meant to create pressure to force the opponent into specific positions by limiting how many mons can safely come into them.

First Impression fits that playstyle since it'll switch before trying to use a 2nd move where the failure becomes a problem, while the high power priority increases what it can scare out since it takes "Frail but faster" out as an option on certain Boosters or Glass Cannons.

Been running It as Bulky Assault Vest offense, gotten mixed results from it so far.
Slither Wing @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge

Cons:
Walled by most Posion Types (Toxapex, Clodsire)
With no item or tera:
252+ Atk Slither Wing Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clodsire: 370-436 (79.7 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Slither Wing Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO
EQ also hits Gholdengo. I would argue that it's difficult to wall slither wing, though it's easy to take advantage of. (i.e. pivoting through Corv, etc)

I am surprised I don't see this pokemon more often. It hits really hard, can pivot, has some support moves, and First Impression.The sheer power of its priority is a big asset against many of the fastest threats such as Chien Pao. It also has really good coverage and can 2ko almost every pokemon in OU. The Posions+Gholdengo gets slaughtered with Flare Blitz/Earthquake. Dragonite, Annilape and Dragapult are some of the biggest threat but they can get burned or paralyzed. It performs much better than I expected

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)