skrimps art skrimps art

skrimps

cry bozo
is a Top Artist Alumnus
--- SKRIMPS ART ---

Just yesterday I became an approved artist so I figure it's time I make an art thread!
I've been drawing since I was a wee nugget but only about a month ago did I get the tools needed to finally start doing hand-drawn digital art.
phanpy.png

dratini.png

Also, most of these have a white outline on a transparent background (like a sticker) and you won't be able to see it well unless you're using the Smogon Dark display (which you should be anyways?).

---

volbeat.png

Volbeat was one of my favorite Pokemon so it only made sense to use it as my profile pic. I had drawn a few before, but didn't feel like I had really hit the mark on it until I finished with this piece. Coincidentally, it was also my first use of this clean white sticker outline which I'm obsessed with now.

---
dpp zu banner.png

DPP metagames will always be my favorite, from both a competitive and nostalgic standpoint, and I was added to the DPP ZU council recently. The DPP ZU resource hub overall needs some updating, but I wanted to tackle the challenge of making a banner to represent the metagame first. Probopass, Luxray, and Golbat were all natural choices being that they are uniquely "DPP ZU" unlike some other threats that exist in multiple ZU old gen metagames.

---
persian dig.png

Continuing with the DPP ZU trend, I drew my most used offensive core in DPP ZU. Everyone should know what Diglett's role is, but essentially Persian U-Turns out of Rock- and Steel-types to then be trapped and OHKO'd by Diglett's Earthquake. Simple, straight to the point, and dangerously effective.

---
favs.png

I wanted to take a stab at a larger project so I grouped up a few more of my favorite Pokemon -- Grumpig, Gengar, Scizor, Tangrowth, and Tyranitar. There's also just enough room in the middle there to add a Volbeat too if I ever decide to complete my team.
If you see these six together on the DPP OU ladder, you know who it is.

---

Last edited:

skrimps

cry bozo
is a Top Artist Alumnus
roapl viii.png

I just had my first TFP artwork published for the RoAPL VIII recap and it's one of my favorite pieces I've done recently. The Pyrite Pichus won the tournament in style and I was tasked with including their powerful battle cry "PICHUS SWAG" in the artwork so that's why Pichu is rocking shades and the Unkowns are spelled out. There are a few touches on this that I'm still just so pleased with.​

Last edited:

skrimps

cry bozo
is a Top Artist Alumnus
pope art.png

I've been meaning to update this thread with a dump of my published TFP artwork, and what better reason to than a shiny new badge to show for it!

---

rsz_1zupl_iv_coverage.png

This was for the ZUPL IV Coverage article, featuring the mascots for all four playoff teams. This was the first TFP artwork I ever did so there are choices that I'm not too thrilled with now, but we learn. It's also fun to imagine Stunky using Pursuit to chase something down ass-backwards.

---
crit me not lc.png

This was for the article Crit-me-not Sweepers in LC. A totem pole felt natural with Natu, and East Side Shellos (aka good Shellos) had its own little wing things to match. Looking at it now, the line work is a bit too thick for my liking -- but again, we learn. I still like the colored magical power dots.

---
ss mono spotlight lando t.png

This was for the Landorus-T SS Monotype Spotlight article - I had just drawn Landorus-T for the RoAPL article, so I figured I might as well do it again. I didn't want to copy my last Lando completely, so I opted for a bulkier more-dynamic pose instead. I also tried colored outlines for the first time here, but I'm still not sure how I feel about them.

---
dou and ou banlists.png

This was for the Out of My League article focused on the differences between OU and DOU banlists. I originally drew this at such a low resolution in hopes of avoiding the quality drop from resizing, then realized how terrible it looked compared to a high resolution drawing that's been resized.
So this is the second version. Jirachi's sad that it's banned from DOU, while Cinderace and (yes, another) Landorus could not care less.

---

eternatus.png

This was for the Top 10 Titans of Gen 8: Ubers article. I wanted to try something different from my usual approach, and I do think it turned out well. There are painterly elements, but even still, I think I leaned too much into clean lines for what I'd originally hoped to achieve by challenging myself. Whatever -- it's still cool, and I drew an Eternatus without mentally imploding.

---

titans dou.png

This was for the Top 10 Titans of Gen 8: Doubles article. Rillaboom was #1 and Melmetal was #2, so obviously that meant Rillaboom had to play Melmetal's warped body like a drumkit in front of thousands of (twenty four) people. While you might assume the "10" is referencing Top 10 Titans, it's actually an ode to Ben Tennyson, the greatest hero in the universe and an elite Sumo Slammers player.

---
Your art is so clean, crisp, and satisfying... amazing, really. Good job, keep up the great work!!
Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words.
You will be remembered for centuries as the first person to comment in the legendary "skrimps art skrimps art" thread.

Last edited:

skrimps

cry bozo
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Here's an update with my most recent work!

---
pawmot pfp.png

I think Pawmot is an awesome design and it quickly shot up my list of favorite Pokemon when it was released. I'd been wanting a more symmetrical icon for my profile photo, so it just made sense to roll with this.

---

zu titans.png

This was for the Top 10 Titans of Generation 8 ZU article. The #1 spot was Thwackey followed by Rotom at #2 and Gourgeist at #3, and I thought Thwackey's drumstick would play well as a whack-a-mole mallet. I though it turned out well, and I'm still pretty content with some of the finer details that I was able to pack into Rotom, Gourgeist, and the arcade machine.

---

brock soldier bg rsz.png

This was for the FireRed Analysis: Brock and the Starter Stomp article, and it was my first real attempt at digital painting. There are definitely some improvements to be made (and I did cheat a bit by using my pen), but this might be my favorite artwork I've done for Smogon just because it validated that I can successfully expand beyond my comfort zone.

---
zu olympiad banner.png

This was for the first annual ZU Olympiad tournament and the reception was certainly... interesting. Honestly, the number of people who scolded me for this cursed artwork was hilarious, and it only made me happier with the result. Good art gets people talking, right?

---

purple haze.png

I was fortunate to be 'selected' as a manager for ZU Olympiad and this is my team's logo. Of course, drugs are bad and you should never do them. That said, go root for The Purple Haze! The creative process for this was incredibly fun, and I'd love to do more team tournament logos in the future.

---

Between work and other obligations, my time and motivation for art has dwindled lately. Not sure when I'll update this thread next.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)