Pokémon Skeledirge

1668757900107.jpeg

Base Stats: 104 HP / 75 Atk / 100 Def / 110 SpA / 75 SpD / 66 Spe (530 Total)

Abilities: Blaze | Unaware

Notable Moves:
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Tera Blast
- Substitute
- Roar
- Night Shade
- Seed Bomb
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Slack Off
- Sing (Added in patch)

Pros:
- Torch Song is a solid STAB that provides a guaranteed Special Attack boost, making it a very potent special wallbreaker.
- Shadow Ball is a spammable option that has good neutral coverage in conjunction with its Fire STAB.
- Will-O-Wisp and Hex give Skeledirge a good utility option that gives its Ghost STAB incredible power.
- Slack Off provides reliable recovery.
- Unaware makes Skeledirge a useful blanket check to opposing set-up strategies and enables it to easily defeat opposing Calm Mind users.
- Its impressive physical bulk and adequate special bulk allow it to tank hits if needed and even perform fully defensive roles. It has better bulk in every defensive stat than Quagsire, for example.
- Earth Power enables Skeledirge to beat many would-be checks, most notably Toxapex and Tyranitar.

Cons:
- The base power of its moves are not impressive so it relies on Torch Dance boosts to become a major threat.
- Fire/Ghost is a mixed bag defensively, with many common weaknesses. It relies on Heavy-Duty boots to switch into attackers consistently.
- Skeledirge’s speed is unimpressive at base 66. Many other powerful threats will easily outrun it.
- Skeledirge does not have access to Toxic which worsens its matchup against bulky Water types.
- Its special bulk is unimpressive without significant investment.

Terastallize Potential:
- A Ghost Tera type enables Skeledirge to hit extremely hard with Shadow Ball while becoming neutral to Stealth Rock.
- A Fighting Tera type lets Skeledirge turn the tables against Dark and Rock types and resist Stealth Rock.
- A Dark Tera type can be used to beat the plethora of powerful Ghost and Dark types in the new meta.

Potential Sets:

Slack Off + 3 Attacks

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Ghost / Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe or 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power / Tera Blast
- Slack Off

This set is designed to overwhelm opponents with Torch Song boosts, making its already-great coverage increasingly difficult to switch into. Slack Off keeps Skeledirge healthy from chip damage; if it invests in HP it can also defensively check opponents.

Substitute Torch Song (SubSong)

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Slack Off / Earth Power / Tera Blast

This set allows Skeledirge even more protection as it boosts with Torch Song at the cost of immediate power. It can make for a potent win condition against slow, bulky teams. More optimized EV spreads will be necessary to hit certain speed benchmarks as well as keeping Substitute intact against various defensive Pokémon.

Physical Wall

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Torch Song / Flamethrower
- Hex / Shadow Ball
- Slack Off

Bulky Skeledirge sets can opt for Will-O-Wisp to increase its defensive capabilities even further. This set can be employed on balance and stall teams to handle many physical attackers lacking strong super-effective moves and it can potentially serve as a win condition against opposing bulky teams. Flamethrower and Shadow Ball are STAB options with more PP.

Other Options:
- Choice Specs sets can use its strong dual STABs alongside Earth Power and either Overheat or Tera Blast. However, there is a steep opportunity cost in not using Heavy-Duty Boots and Slack Off.
- Offensive Hex + Will-O-Wisp sets could be effective in wallbreaking. The other moveslots would be any two of Torch Song, Earth Power, and Slack Off.
- Offensive sets with Solar Beam can be used on Sun teams, although with the influx of new Sun abusers the competition for a spot on the team is stiff.
- A Fire Tera type makes Skeledirge hit incredibly hard with boosted Torch Dances.
- A Fairy Tera type is useful for beating Dark and Dragon types and provides excellent coverage alongside its Fire and Ghost STABs.

Overall:

Skeledirge is a fascinating addition to the Pokédex, boasting an incredible STAB option in Torch Song that lets it set up and deal good damage at the same time. Its Ghost typing further enables it to be a potent attacker. Unaware provides both offensive and defensive options, the latter being bolstered by its good bulk. Although it lacks speed and immediate power, Skeledirge’s combination of a decent typing, a limited yet very good movepool, solid stats, and a unique ability will help it find a niche in OU no matter how the meta develops.

In the short term it will have to compete with yet-to-be-banned threats with even more power and much better speed so its capabilities may not be immediately apparent. As such, Skeledirge's viability should increase over time. For now I expect it to be decent.

What do you think about Skeledirge? Have you enjoyed using it or found success with it? Are you just happy to have a quadrupedal Fire starter for once? Share your thoughts below!

Last edited:
I theorymoned this Mon a bit already: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ban-list-post-626.3710554/page-9#post-9394473

Things to note:
Slack Off should be used in every single set.
Flamethrower is better in defensive sets than Torch Song, though that move isn't unusable.
Roar can be useful with Hazards.

Trick Room + Sun will be extremely hard to put together, but if it works, Skeleridge will be a very big threat.
Trick Room alone is really good in an incoming HO Meta, Hatterene is amazing at denying Hazards and Skeleridge can switch into boosted threats even when TR wears out.

A shame I won't be able to actually play for like 2 weeks and will just theorymoning a lot :(

I updated this to add Dark and Fairy Tera types in the Other Options. Dark is very useful right now on defensive mons because of all the busted Ghosts and Darks, and I saw Emvee (aka Mencemeat) using Fairy to good effect lol.

You should add in assault vest as an offensive option as well. Shores up his special defense and allows him time to scale with torch song. Snarl is also a great option to cover his special weakness

You should add in assault vest as an offensive option as well. Shores up his special defense and allows him time to scale with torch song. Snarl is also a great option to cover his special weakness
I strongly disagree. It's slow and weak to rocks in a meta where everything and its mother has hazards, so not having boots usually cuts into its overall bulk. Giving up both recovery and utility (wisp) seems like a really bad decision to me. Imo the only situation where you don't run boots/lefties is if you're using a pure offensive set under Trick Room, and in that case you'd rather run specs or LO for immediate power because you are inherently on a timer

This mon is overall pretty impressive defensively. I saw it take <50% from a utility Garchomp's EQ BEFORE being burned which is insane

I theorymoned this Mon a bit already: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ban-list-post-626.3710554/page-9#post-9394473

Things to note:
Slack Off should be used in every single set.
Flamethrower is better in defensive sets than Torch Song, though that move isn't unusable.
Roar can be useful with Hazards.

Trick Room + Sun will be extremely hard to put together, but if it works, Skeleridge will be a very big threat.
Trick Room alone is really good in an incoming HO Meta, Hatterene is amazing at denying Hazards and Skeleridge can switch into boosted threats even when TR wears out.

A shame I won't be able to actually play for like 2 weeks and will just theorymoning a lot :(
Really good analysis! I honestly think Skeledirge will be a force to be reckoned with when Paradox Suicune comes out (Especially with the theory that Paradox Suicune is going to be Water/Dragon) that and Clodsire will be so much fun to use in VCG format.

I've been theory crafting a general utility tank for skeledirge; equalizing his bulk; jack of all trades master of none so to speak. Thoughts, concerns?

0 Atk IV
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD Def - Spread to equalize stats (if my math is right, based on nature)
Calm Nature - to bolster the weaker defense prior to the EV spread. (Or Sassy for the theoretical sun/trick room, and a 0 Spe IV)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Slack Off
- Flamethrower

Last edited:
I've been theory crafting a general utility tank for skeledirge; equalizing his bulk; jack of all trades master of none so to speak. Thoughts, concerns?

0 Atk IV
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD Def - Spread to equalize stats (if my math is right, based on nature)
Calm Nature - to bolster the weaker defense prior to the EV spread. (Or Sassy for the theoretical sun/trick room, and a 0 Spe IV)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Slack Off
- Flamethrower
'equalizing defensive stats' should never be the reason you run a specific ev spread.

Ev spreads on defensive Pokémon should be partitioned to live specific meta game threats you want to check, or if you aren't sure of what you are checking, it is almost assuredly better to invest wholly in one Stat.

Also, torch song is almost always a better move than flamethrower in my opinion.

'equalizing defensive stats' should never be the reason you run a specific ev spread.

Ev spreads on defensive Pokémon should be partitioned to live specific meta game threats you want to check, or if you aren't sure of what you are checking, it is almost assuredly better to invest wholly in one Stat.

Also, torch song is almost always a better move than flamethrower in my opinion.
Skeledirge is generally tanky enough with Def that I would expect most to try to swing at it with SpA, and with an even spread (math required to see what would be needed to counter specific meta SpA/SE moves) you can catch them off guard by doing less damage than they expected with some priority into SpD. I called it a jack of all trades master of none on purpose; it becomes generically decent in most scenarios instead of really good into only some scenarios.

Above the reasoning for flamethrower > torch song was already mentioned in an earlier comment; this build is intended for willowisp/hex; you're not generally going to be using your alternate attack move, so IF you do, the one with higher base power is probably better in that moment. That's the theory, atleast.

Last edited:

memesketch

won't look back, i must shine
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I would offer two suggestions: first of all, that Torch Song be non-negotiable as the Fire-type STAB on the defensive set because it goes through Substitute as a sound move. Therefore it counteracts the Shed Tail setup strategies that Skeledirge will have to deal with as the Unaware user on defensive teams. Also that the main Tera Type be Fairy on the defensive set, since it flips all of Skeledirge's weaknesses and gives it the best typing possible to blanket check physical setup sweepers like Chien-Pao, SD Iron Valiant, and Dragonite.

do yall prefer boots or lefties? lefties has been my default, since after tera fairy/water/whatever you're not rocks-weak, but hazards are everywhere

do yall prefer boots or lefties? lefties has been my default, since after tera fairy/water/whatever you're not rocks-weak, but hazards are everywhere
I think boots is better in most situations since Skeledirge isn't always going to be changing types, and if it stays part Fire I consider boots a necessity, especially when Slack Off only has 8 PP which makes recovering less frequently a big deal. I'd rather not need to heal from the hazard damage. Even after Tera, not taking any chip is super valuable regardless of its new type.

The main set I've been using is

Skeledirge @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

I set-up on set-up sweepers,I set-up against walls,I set-up against everything,the Tera water is so good aswell (turning that mf into Suicune),I feel like this mon is really good

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Slack Off

I've been using this, and it's been working. It's a good wall because it can tank special hits and will-o-wisp physical attackers. I basically just spam torch song until I need to slack off.

Has anyone else tried this thing in Trick Room? It's pretty good because it's already naturally slow and can boost it's special attack with Torch Song. I gave mine Torch Song/Shadow Ball, Earth Power/Yawn. Yawn was for an occasional surprise on the final Trick Room turn that allowed you to get off a transition easier.

Forgive the naivety on this one, but wouldn't Throat Spray be really potent as an opener on some kits? Strikes me as odd when Choice Specs gives a similar result but locks you in.

Side note, wow is this account out of date.

While it's been lower ladder, defensive unaware skeledirge has been a bit of a thorn, able to tank some hefty hits in the lower ladder. And it has healing, making it a really interesting choice for unaware

Forgive the naivety on this one, but wouldn't Throat Spray be really potent as an opener on some kits? Strikes me as odd when Choice Specs gives a similar result but locks you in.

Side note, wow is this account out of date.
Throat Spray is usable but the problem is that Skeledirge is prone to getting forced out by faster attackers immediately after it gets a kill. This isn’t an issue against slower teams but fast offensive builds make it much less effective. Right now the meta is very biased toward fast offense.

However, I think Throat Spray is ideal for a Trick Room purpose since changing moves is much more important and it doesn’t have to worry as much about being revenge killed. This set should work fine:

Skeledirge @ Throat Spray
Tera Type: Ghost / Fighting / whatever
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast

252 into sp Def to cover its lower defensive stat then 252 sp atk 4 in physical defense

Leftovers

Slack off
Wilo-wisp
Hex
torch song

Tanky healing with leftovers slack off
torch song= becoming stronger while healing up If necessary

104 health with this EV spec should do well taking hits and dishing out in retaliation then healing if necessary

911.png

Skeledirge @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earth Power
- Slack Off

Good pivot into Iron Valiant, Iron Moth, Volcarona and many others while also being able to put in place threats like dragon dance Dragonite, Kingambit, Roaring Moon, etc.
Pressures Gholdengo (water Tera), Garganacl and Glimmora too with Earthpower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)