Singles Victim of the Week [Current Victim: Landorus-T] ~ VOTING ~

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
STEELDRAGON
While a bunch of the other mons can still ko Talonflame when they're burned Heatran is the only one that doesn't mind switching in to WoW besides Macargo.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Well you know how it goes, the more options the tougher it is to pick just one. I like power and I'm a fan of Tyrantrum so I'll have to go with ethan06. I've always loved Tyrantrum as a Scarfer in all formats it's used in, and part of it is because of that awesome 119 defense that lets it take the various priority moves it's weak against surprisingly decently, ultimately making it tougher to revenge kill. Outrage as a secondary STAB is also awesome for cleaning, so it's a scary threat with no shortage of coverage. Special Defense still sucks limiting its switch-ins against other threats but Tyrantrum is something I have to use at some point, for beating Talonflame or otherwise.

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cant say

Regirock is a beast, and in this case, a counter for Talonflame.
Mono Rock typing is also nice, which removes the possibility of having to take a 4x effective Natural Gift at +2 (although the Natural Gift set is quite rare).
Even with 0 def investment an adamant +2 salac berry Talonflame will fail to do more than 65%, and will get KO’d in return.
Ice Punch has a high chance to OHKO SR Garchomp and OHKOs Lando-T (if coming in after Intimidate).
Now the REAL beauty with this thing is the ability to check BOTH Charizard, both X and Y.
Thanks to Assault Vest Regirock can shut down those who like to lead with Charizard.

Calcs

+2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 102-120 (54.5 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Regirock Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 164-196 (89.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Regirock Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 172-204 (104.8 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sword Dance + Flame Charge Adamant Zard X
+2 252+ Atk Charizard Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 62-73 (33.1 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Charizard Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 102-122 (54.5 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 165-195 (88.2 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 138-164 (73.7 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Modest Zard Y
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 116-138 (62 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
RandomBro because rhyperior is pretty versatile, has a great movepool, and checks a lot more stuff than just talonflame, making it relatively easy to fit into a team, so it isn't a niche pick that counters talonflame and not much else.

I like mega ampharos too but really don't like the given set. I feel like no dragon STAB and a weak electric STAB is a complete waste of its potential.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
cant say

Regirock is a beast, and in this case, a counter for Talonflame.
Mono Rock typing is also nice, which removes the possibility of having to take a 4x effective Natural Gift at +2 (although the Natural Gift set is quite rare).
Even with 0 def investment an adamant +2 salac berry Talonflame will fail to do more than 65%, and will get KO’d in return.
Ice Punch has a high chance to OHKO SR Garchomp and OHKOs Lando-T (if coming in after Intimidate).
Now the REAL beauty with this thing is the ability to check BOTH Charizard, both X and Y.
Thanks to Assault Vest Regirock can shut down those who like to lead with Charizard.

Calcs

+2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 102-120 (54.5 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Regirock Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 164-196 (89.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Regirock Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 172-204 (104.8 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sword Dance + Flame Charge Adamant Zard X
+2 252+ Atk Charizard Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 62-73 (33.1 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Charizard Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 102-122 (54.5 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Modest Zard Y
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 116-138 (62 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 247-292 (67.8 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You forgot mega evolution + trait...

Voting for Cant say

MentalDaemon
As said clearly, Talonflame does not want to mess with defensive chomp and having to deal with recoil damage, rocky helm damage, and rough skin damage. Rock Tomb is also neat to have with higher accuracy than stone edge and pretty much guaranteeing the OHKO after Talonflame attacks.

bobochan

Defensive Mega Ampharos deals with a lot of threats other than Talonflame with a great all out attacker moveset. It can also pivot out with Volt Switch or use HP Ice to punish Ground types, especially seeing that Garchomp is the most used Pokemon in Battle Spot Singles.

Joint Cena
Hippowdon is actually a legitimately viable mon and pretty cool.

fun fact: over 3,000 people are killed by hippos per year, talonflame is one of those many victims

Misaka mikoto has to win because magcargo shuts talonflame down completely! Especiallly both variants, choice band and bulky will-o-wisp can not do anything to it, it works better than all other entrys i saw so im voting this one.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I just got a great suggestion from freekhoorn which we're gonna give a trial run to. When we get a heap of entries we run the risk of having a bunch of entries on a tie. That's why we're gonna have a second round of voting for those on equal votes! If you've already voted then vote again! Here goes:
In the original voting I went for ethan06 so I'm obviously going to stick with it! Rock Head + Head Smash + Choice Scarf is a cool combination and wrecks Talonflame, as well as doing a heap of damage to most switch ins (coz who leaves a Talonflame in against this thing?).

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Voting cant say - as cool as Mega Ampharos is, I don't like how badly it gets merked by Garchomp (same reason I shy away from using Dragalge...) AV Regirock doesn't have this problem thanks to its gargantuan mixed bulk and has a great matchup against a lot of the meta. Voting for myself would be poor form haha

I vote for ethan06 since Scarf Tyrantrum is a cool pokemon in this meta. Not to mention it will avoid Will-o-Wisp from the likes of bulky Talonflame if it's already switched in, since it's faster and will OHKO.

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cant say

Sorry about the wrong calcs on Mega Zard X :c
It was a very close one between ethan06 and cant say.
In the end the Regirock set was slightly more appealing to me, both in terms of freedom to switch moves, and it's great overall bulk thanks to AV.
No recoil Head Smash and the awesome speed is nice, but the accuracy is still unreliable.

Looking at the top 12 usage, Regirock does a better job at dealing with Kangaskhan and Blaziken (will protect expecting the scarf since it's the most used item for those that run Tyrantrum).
While Tyrantrum does better against Rotom-Wash:
252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 84-100 (53.5 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tyrantrum also falls to possible Focus Sash leads (Garchomp, Greninja, Lando-T) which will all OHKO back.

ethan06
tyrantrum is really cool and is hard to switch in to as well, i hope this wins in honor of jurassic world

i would've voted for ampharos, but i dont like the moveset at all. i prefer resttalk with physically defensive ampharos, and dragon stab at the very least.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I voted for Tyrantrum last time and that hasn't changed, so ethan06 again. Like really, Head Smash is cool when it doesn't miss and a lot of the things that wouldn't mind a Head Smash certainly don't want to take an Outrage. Having two high powered STAB moves really helps it do its job effectively too. You better hope you made the right switch against this thing when you see it in front of your poor Talonflame.

I'm going to back up my vote for cant say's Regirock. The strength of this thing has been discussed in other threads and I'm pretty sure it did well in the Charizard vote of this one too. It's got genuine versatility and excellent bulk.

Either of these would be a great shout but I think Regirock has more about it. No Mega-slot opportunity cost or forced move Choice restriction.

Im going for bobochan because ampharos does not really mind being burned by will-o-wisp because hen is specially attacking, while the other two get crippled by it.

Joint Cena

I swear I'm nice!
Bobochan still getting my vote.

Underated mega, it does really good against Talon and other mons that are common in BSS No tryhard rock mon

Same reason as my previous post eheh

ethan07

Choice Scarf Tyrantrum outspeeds a variety of threats and with the ability Rock Head, it can spam Head Smash continuously without taking any recoil in the process. Tyrantrum also has nice physical bulk which allows it to switch into certain attacks safely without taking a lot of damage. Having a secondary typing, an okay revenge killer and good coverage against many foes gets my vote.

EDIT: ethan06 Sigh~

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well that second round of voting worked out nicely, a winner has been decided and it's ethan06's Tyrantrum! If you have trouble with Talonflame (and also wanna spam recoil-less Head Smash) then give it a try!

The next victim is a Pokemon that you'll run into no matter which format you play, in fact it is the number 3 most used across all formats combined! Even though Ice-type moves are thrown around the singles format it still finds a way to be one of the best Pokemon to use. In case you haven't guessed, we're going to discuss Landorus-Therian. Now before you go and nominate something random carrying Hidden Power Ice, remember that to counter Landorus-T your Pokemon, by definition, needs to be able to manually switch into it and win 100% of the time without factoring in hax. This means it needs to be able to avoid taking too much damage from Landorus-T's powerful STAB Earthquake, and also its Rock, Dark, and Fighting coverage moves. Also remember that while Landorus-T's most common set is Choice Scarf, it also often carries an Assault Vest, Rocky Helmet or even a Focus Sash, so take these into account when nominating your set!

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Shell Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Toxic/Fire Blast

slowbro vs defensive landorus

0 Atk Landorus-T Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 34-40 (16.8 - 19.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
0 Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 34-42 (16.8 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO
0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 37-45 (18.3 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO
4 SpA Mega Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 204-244 (104 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

slowbro vs landorus with maximum possible attack investment

252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 72-85 (35.6 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Mega Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 204-244 (124.3 - 148.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

slowbro also hard checks a myraid of physcial attackers outside of landorus. scald and surf are interchangeable. surf is stronger while scald is haxier.

ice beam is for grass types and dragons. slack off is basic recovery. toxic is for opposing walls and other pokemon that slowbro cant damage much. this can be switched with fire blast to roast scizor and ferrothorn along with most other steel types.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)