Singles Victim of the Week [Current Victim: Landorus-T] ~ VOTING ~

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Hulavuta
Stolen from Arikado who stole it from someone else

Battle Spot Victim of the Week

Every generation is different and the metagame is constantly changing with new releases and "newly discover Pokemon"; however, there has always been and always will be threats. Whether they are defensive threats or offensive threats, every competent player should have a way to handle top-tier threats. That's where you guys come in! This project aims to gather some of the common top-tier threats in the metagame and find Pokémon that can either check or counter them.

Procedure:

1. Every round, I will nominate a Pokémon for discussion. Within one week's time, you guys will have the ability to discuss and nominate various Pokémon that you think can either check or counter the victim of the week, with a description explaining how they can do that (look at other nominations for example!).

2. After the deadline, we will vote on which set we think is the best, do not bandwagon vote. Bandwagon votes will be thrown out.

3. The results will be archived and the process will continue week after week.

Rules:

1. When nominating your check / counter please include how your nomination checks / counters the victim of the week, how it works, and how effective it is in the Battle Spot metagame. Damage calcs, while not necessary, help to strengthen your argument for your nomination and show other players just how effective your nomination is.

2. Please also post a set with a nature and evs, you can use Pokemon Showdown's teambuilder for easy exportation or just write it up.

3. Follow the definitions of checks and counters that was posted in The Smog Issue 32

4. Only post sets viable in Battle Spot. Niche Pokemon are totally acceptable, but bottom-of-the-barrel stuff like Electivire and Shedinja aren't. The viability ranking thread is your best friend, so if something isn't ranked there, 95% of the time it's not worth posting here.

5. From Saturday - Tuesday, each person can only nominate one Pokemon. From Wednesday to Friday, you get to vote on which set you think is the most viable. Please don't vote for yourself as that is not in the spirit of things.

6. Help people out if you think they're wrong, but please be nice.

7. Be creative!

8. Have fun!

Current Victim of the Week:

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Archive
Week 1
Mega Salamence

Pyritie - Porygon2

Week 2
Garchomp

cant say - Avalugg

Week 3
Cresselia

Artic - Absol-Mega
NOVED - Crawdaunt

Week 4
Mega Gengar

ethan06 - Alakazam-Mega

Week 5
Porygon2

ethan06 - Conkeldurr

Week 6
Azumarill

NOVED - Mega Venusaur

Week 7
Mega Kangaskhan

haban012 - Suicune

Week 8
Aegislash

NOVED - Entei

Week 9
(Mega) Blaziken

Creeper3971 - Mega Altaria

Week 10
Mega Charizard X & Y

cant say - defensive Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar

Week 11
Suicune

DragonWhale - Double Dance Mega Charizard X

Week 12
Zapdos

Creeper3971 - Choice Specs Dragalge
freekhoorn - Life Orb Reuniclus
Lucina09 - Mega Charizard X

Week 13
Mega Lopunny

freekhoorn - Cofagrigus

Week 14
Thundurus

Jibaku - Raikou

Week 15
SwagPlay Abusers

GroudonEmpire - Mega Sableye

Week 16
Talonflame

ethan06 - Tyrantrum

Week 17
Landorus-Therian

~ post your nominations ~​

Ares

Okay, to start things off we are going to be looking for things to check / counter one of the biggest threats in Battle Spot, Mega Salamence!

You have till Tuesday to post your Pokemon.

Happy Posting!

I use Thundurus with HP Ice. Gets a OHKO which is nice and outspeeds an adamant mega salamence, and lives +1 return/double-edge. I've encountered Jolly Salamences that run Outrage, however, so those are a bit of a bigger issue. Probably should spam T-wave when given the chance?

Ares

I use Thundurus with HP Ice. Gets a OHKO which is nice and outspeeds an adamant mega salamence, and lives +1 return/double-edge. I've encountered Jolly Salamences that run Outrage, however, so those are a bit of a bigger issue. Probably should spam T-wave when given the chance?
Hey TrainerRed27 , thanks for replying. To make a nomination for this project you would do something along the lines of this (idk if its your exact set just threw something together really quickly):

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

You would then post how your set works and possibly some damage calcs against the Victim of the Week. The updated damage calc is here; http://gamut-was-taken.github.io/ and while sprites aren't necessary, they do tend to make your post look a bit nicer. I use this site http://pldh.net/ for the sprites and its fairly simple; type the pokemon in the search bar, click on sprites, then the one you want, copy the bb code, and then post were you want the sprite to go. You can use Pokemon Showdown as a way to quickly make a set or you can just type it out following the above format. Hope this helped and you can always edit your post with the importable I gave.

Hi, I'm new here, so sorry if this is formatted wrong.

Does Mega Mence have any reliable counters? I don't think it does.

However, Defensive Zapdos can check offensive DD Mega Mence lacking Outrage pretty well.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Zapdos can easily switch in a Mega Mence that is setting up and retaliate with an HP ice for the OHKO. Fire Blast fails to 2HKO as well.

+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 80-95 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mega Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 53-63 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 41.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

It fails to 2HKO Zapdos if it runs Naive or Jolly nature, and Zapdos can use HP Ice for the KO.

68 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Salamence: 144-172 (84.7 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

If it runs Jolly, however, it's a 2HKO.

68 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 128-152 (75.2 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you'd have to Roost off the damage before hitting it again.

Zapdos isn't the most reliable counter, especially against special variants, but it can counter the ones who choose to run DD+Roost or DD+Fire Blast.

Ares

Nice post!

Do you run Rocky Helmet at all? I've seen that quite a bit on Defensive Zapados and it really helps for checking things like Mega Kangaskhan. Of course you lose out on the recovery from Leftovers, but that can be mitigated by Roost recovery. Not to mention you usually don't have to worry about Stealth Rock so Leftovers isn't as important.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Punch
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Hammer Arm

If you're lucky enough to have one with good IVs like me, this guy is great.

252+ Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 76-90 (40.6 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regirock: 57-67 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regirock: 48-57 (25.6 - 30.4%) -- 5.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Regirock Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 116-140 (68.2 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Judicious use of T-Wave needed but Regirock can KO 1v1 or switch in and severely cripple physical variants of Salamence allowing it to be easily revenged and the set I've posted can tank a Hydro Pump and live to get the T-Wave off if you're sat in front of it and it turns out to be a Special version.

Hey TrainerRed27 , thanks for replying. To make a nomination for this project you would do something along the lines of this (idk if its your exact set just threw something together really quickly):

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

You would then post how your set works and possibly some damage calcs against the Victim of the Week. The updated damage calc is here; http://gamut-was-taken.github.io/ and while sprites aren't necessary, they do tend to make your post look a bit nicer. I use this site http://pldh.net/ for the sprites and its fairly simple; type the pokemon in the search bar, click on sprites, then the one you want, copy the bb code, and then post were you want the sprite to go. You can use Pokemon Showdown as a way to quickly make a set or you can just type it out following the above format. Hope this helped and you can always edit your post with the importable I gave.

Gotcha. Would this be better?

I used Thundurus as a counter/check towards mega-mence. My old set was

Thundurus (M) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

252 SpA Expert Belt Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 178-211 (104.7 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 133-157 (86.3 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

You could easily move some EVs around to make that 12.5% 0 too.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Destiny Bond / Dark Pulse

Yeah that's right, special Sharpedo! I used this way back in XY but haven't revived it yet, Intimidate users think you're going to switch or just expect to tank a -1 move only to be smacked by your special option, so Sal will either DD expecting a switch or take you to your Sash as you kill it either way. Protect is to scout and get Speed Boosts (obviously) and a well timed Destiny Bond can get you a free KO. Admittedly, Sash + DBond is highly susceptible to priority which is very common so it's likely to get revenge killed. I actually used LO + Dark Pulse instead which was good, but would lose to 'Mence in that situation (which goes against the idea of the OP!).

editing for some last minute votes. Mega Sal lives a Mega Sharpedo's Strong Jaw boosted Ice Fang after Intimidate so most would opt for the Dragon Dance expecting you to switch or tank the incoming Ice Fang, you Ice Beam for the free kill and end up with a full health (Sash intact) +1 speed Sharpedo ready to take on the world

Last edited:
Nice post!

Do you run Rocky Helmet at all? I've seen that quite a bit on Defensive Zapados and it really helps for checking things like Mega Kangaskhan. Of course you lose out on the recovery from Leftovers, but that can be mitigated by Roost recovery. Not to mention you usually don't have to worry about Stealth Rock so Leftovers isn't as important.
I do run Rocky Helmet, I just prefer lefties for the extra recovery.

But I sometimes prefer Rocky Helmet for the additional damage on Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan.

But now that I see the bonuses of Rocky Helmet, I think I'm just going to run that now :D

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace / Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Toxic

Probably the only thing that can completely counter mega salamence.

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 82-97 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 156-188 (91.7 - 110.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Alternatively if you give it 92 SpA and 166 Def, jolly/naive/hasty double-edge is still a 2HKO and Porygon2 can OHKO back with ice beam. Adamant double-edge has a 50% chance to 2HKO this set though, but in that case you can just keep spamming recover while mega salamence slowly kills itself through recoil (or gives you a chance to ice beam it if it decides to dance).

If you want to also counter bulky adamant mega salamence, ice beam also OHKOs if Porygon2 runs Analytic. I do think Trace is better for general utility though.

EDIT: also worth mentioning that porygon2 also doesn't give a fuck about special variants either

Last edited:
Listing Rotom-W/H as a Check:
[URL='http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/rotom-wash#'] [/URL]
Rotom-Wash/Heat @ Sitrus Berry/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
Shiny: Dosent matter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch/T-Bolt
- Hydro Pump/Overheat
- Pain Split/HP Ice

They do pretty much the same thing so il dump these together. Anyway, Rotom can switch into most of MegaMence's attacks. Well expect Outrage or the occasional DRACO METEOR. Sitrus Berry is the preffered Item, but Rocky Helmet can also help in wearing Mence down. Heres some calcs:
+1 252 Atk Mega Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 115-136 (73.2 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 75-88 (47.7 - 56%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Mega Salamence Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 19-22 (12.1 - 14%) -- possible 8HKO
4 SpA Mega Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 82-97 (52.2 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 76-91 (48.4 - 57.9%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Rotom-W Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Salamence: 116-140 (68.2 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage
+1 252 Atk burned Mega Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 57-68 (36.3 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Aerilate burned Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 37-44 (23.5 - 28%) -- 86.1% chance to 4HKO
2 4 SpA Mega Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 42-49 (26.7 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Kind of a shaky check but it works if need be. You need me to calc some not +1 attacks?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the sets proposed, I'm going to go with Creeper3971's Zapdos set, although I do like Regirock (except I prefer 4 attacks + Assault Vest to better check special 'Mence, it wasn't mentioned so I'm not voting for it is that how this works? lol)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
cant say because he stole my set

EDIT: Actually changing my vote to Pyritie because I feel that Porygon2 is just way more viable in general

cant say's is still the most creative in my opinion though

Last edited:
A fan of the Regirock and Sharpedo sets but Pyritie's Porygon2 wins for me. Thought it was a good idea since it first got posted a while ago.

Pyritie

There are creative checks but they aren't effective enough for me. Creeper3971 would've gotten a second place for me!

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gotta say Creeper3971 because it's what I use (though with Rocky Helmet) and it works

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)