Singles Break that Core (Week 17: Hippowdon + Lucario + Dragonite) ~ VOTING (post #395)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I just checked and apparently the event Articuno that you get from XD/Gale of Darkness (forget which) has Heal Bell so if you're lucky enough to get one, wouldn't Roost/Heal Bell be better than RestTalk? Might be worth slashing in at least as an option that's more reliable but more difficult to obtain.

should also be worth noting that Articuno gets Mind Reader/Sheer Cold.

If you're standing at both of them together not being able to 3HKO you, you can just let off guaranteed sheer colds without much worry.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I KNEW I should have posted last night, thanks for the snipe Demantoid :(

I just checked and apparently the event Articuno that you get from XD/Gale of Darkness (forget which) has Heal Bell so if you're lucky enough to get one, wouldn't Roost/Heal Bell be better than RestTalk? Might be worth slashing in at least as an option that's more reliable but more difficult to obtain.
Sleep Talk lets you use Sheer Cold without wasting PP, and can even select it if its 8 PP has run out, and Sleep Talk lets you get a Roar off without the negative priority so you can phase a boosted Lax before it hits you

should also be worth noting that Articuno gets Mind Reader/Sheer Cold.

If you're standing at both of them together not being able to 3HKO you, you can just let off guaranteed sheer colds without much worry.
Switching negates Mind Reader, I guess you can think of it like Yawn, but on Articuno I reckon it's a wasted moveslot when it has Roar, Roost etc..

I would have used Timid so you can outspeed as much as possible (good for SleepRoaring with rocks up) but bulky is also good.

Reserving Pinsir, got something in my mind that i can make work probably

Pinsir
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Normally you would probably want to get some speed EVs and maybe a Jolly nature but against this specific core I really needed the power from Adamant and wanted to build as bulky as possible.

Basically you take the first turn to set up Swords Dance then go for the kill. There's not much Snorlax can do against it, even when investing fully in HP and Def it's going to take a 0HKO after a Swords Dance. You can probably even set up Swords Dance twice against Snorlax as none of his usual moves deal more than 45%. Why? Because Slowbro sadly has good odds of surviving a +2 X-Scissor and with prior damage of Snorlax Slowbro can kill you with Fire Blast.

If you start off against Slowbro and it has Fire blast (14.48% of all Bro's) or Thunder Wave (46.45% of all Bro's) things are worse. First turn you set up Swords Dance while Bro paralyzes you, second turn you attempt to take him out with X-Scissor while first taking a hit. If it's Scald or Ice Beam you still have a pretty good shot at winning this, X-Scissor + Quick Attack will take Bro out, you might have enough HP left to also take out Snorlax with Close Combat.

+2 252 Atk Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 186-218 (92 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Pinsir Close Combat vs. 144 HP / 188 Def Snorlax: 294-346 (116.2 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir: 60-72 (34.8 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Slowbro Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir: 110-130 (63.9 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir: 45-54 (26.1 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 52-63 (30.2 - 36.6%) -- 53.7% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Snorlax Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 20-24 (11.6 - 13.9%) -- possible 8HKO

Last edited:

Clefable
Unaware
Bold nature
252 hp/252 def/4 spdef
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Flamethrower/Heal Bell/Stealth Rock/Minimize/Stored Power

Simply Clefable. I don't even need to talk about the set actually as almost any physically defensive variant of Clefable easily takes on both of these together, with Selfdestruct coming from 252 adamant Snorlax being the only move that can actually hit Clefable for enough damage to render it useless for some time or to beat it if it isn't at full health (and forcing one half of a core to selfdestruct leaves it broken). Unaware-Clef stomps on Curselax, using it as setup-bait while also being able to live 3 body slams from the curseless offensive set sometimes, which lacks any recovery, meaning it will win against almost every Snorlax unless it is really unlucky with the paralysis. Scald-burns from Slowbro may hinder Clefables defensive capabilities and some sets even carry toxic, but thanks to Slowbros lesser special defense and inability to boost with calm mind, Clefable can easily overwhelm any Slowbro daring to stand in its way. Also there is always Magic Guard oder Heal Bell against status (and for those who really need it... Minimize to counter Body Slams cheap luck-tactic with your own cheap luck).

Some calcs:
252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 63-75 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- 77.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Snorlax Self-Destruct vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 147-174 (72.7 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 46-55 (22.7 - 27.2%) -- 50.2% chance to 4HKO

4 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 51-60 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 93-109 (46 - 53.9%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO

after one mere boost, slowbro is already scared out

Last edited:

Clefable
Unaware
Bold nature
252 hp/252 def/4 spdef
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Flamethrower/Heal Bell/Stealth Rock/Minimize/Stored Power

Simply Clefable. I don't even need to talk about the set actually as almost any physically defensive variant of Clefable easily takes on both of these together, with Selfdestruct coming from 252 adamant Snorlax being the only move that can actually hit Clefable for enough damage to render it useless for some time or to beat it if it isn't at full health (and forcing one half of a core to selfdestruct leaves it broken). Unaware-Clef stomps on Curselax, using it as setup-bait while also being able to live 3 body slams from the curseless offensive set sometimes, which lacks any recovery, meaning it will win against almost every Snorlax unless it is really unlucky with the paralysis. Scald-burns from Slowbro may hinder Clefables defensive capabilities and some sets even carry toxic, but thanks to Slowbros lesser special defense and inability to boost with calm mind, Clefable can easily overwhelm any Slowbro daring to stand in its way. Also there is always Magic Guard oder Heal Bell against status (and for those who really need it... Minimize to counter Body Slams cheap luck-tactic with your own cheap luck).

Some calcs:
252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 63-75 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- 77.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Snorlax Self-Destruct vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 147-174 (72.7 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 46-55 (22.7 - 27.2%) -- 50.2% chance to 4HKO

4 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 51-60 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 93-109 (46 - 53.9%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO

after one mere boost, slowbro is already scared out

Another Pokémon that can break apart this core (albeit being a rather shaky check that needs to be played more carefully):

Gyarados
Intimidate
Adamant nature
252 hp/252 atk/4 speed
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Bounce

This one needs more prediction than just full-stopping them with Unaware-Clef. Using Substitute on a Slowbro that tries to status Gyarados or fishes for a burn grants a free turn to set up while also scouting for T-Bolt. However, a psyshock from Slowbro cleanly breaks the sub even with a minimal roll, but never 3HKOes. At +1, Gyarados can actually 2HKO Slowbro with Crunch, so with smart plays, Gyarados will always emerge victorious here. Against Snorlax, Curse-users are unable to deal meaningful damage at -1 while Gyarados can hit Snorlax very hard even with an unboosted waterfall. Getting lucky with flinches even makes Gyarados position much better after the fight, meaning it can also dish out some damage to slowbro for example. Curseless offensive variants will never 2HKO at -1 except by selfdestructing, leaving them open to enough waterfalls for the KO. Even though Slowbro can switch into most of Gyarados moves to save Snorlax, it will then be overwhelmed by Gyarados most of the time while Snorlax can neither switch into any move nor deal with a boosted Gyarados after it has taken care of Slowbro.

-1 0 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 42-51 (20.7 - 25.2%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 63-75 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- 77.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 102-121 (38.2 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 67-81 (25 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 58-69 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 1.3% chance to 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 112-133 (47.6 - 56.5%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 55-66 (27.2 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 100-118 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand last but not least the most offensive (and unsafe) check:

Nidoking
Sheer Force
Naive nature
188 atk / 68 spatk / 252 spd
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Pretty simple set: TBolt cleanly 2hkoes Slowbro while Superpower gets the 2hko on Snorlax even after the drop. Nidoking is also able to live through one move either of them is using, meaning it can 1v1 both pokemon (however, beware of slowbros scald burns or snorlax with earthquake) while none of them can switch into it safely. Nidoking should only be used if you have the momentum in your favour, as it can't switch into either of them except into a predicted Slack Off from Slowbro. This set also loses to a boosted Snorlax, so a way to force that one out is appreciated. Basically Nidoking is less useful in truly breaking the core but more useful in keeping both pokemon out of the game so the core can't do its work. Becomes very powerful in combination with a strong VoltTurn-User.
Uh dude you can only nominate one pokemon so other people have a chance especially this week since the options to choose from are very limited. Also, clefable almost always loses to snorlax and how does minimize counter body slam. I think you're unaware (pun intended lol) that body slam's power doubles and never misses against minimize users.

Also, clefable almost always loses to snorlax and how does minimize counter body slam.
You have the calcs right there. Snorlax either runs curse, which means Clefable can safely Calm Mind to +6 while Snorlax struggles with even 4HKOing clef, or a full offense set, which means Snorlax will eventually be whittled down as it never deals enough damage to clef and is unable to recover from continuous moonblasts.

You have the calcs right there. Snorlax either runs curse, which means Clefable can safely Calm Mind to +6 while Snorlax struggles with even 4HKOing clef, or a full offense set, which means Snorlax will eventually be whittled down as it never deals enough damage to clef and is unable to recover from continuous moonblasts.
Almost every snorlax has fissure which ignores evasion boosts. Snorlax also has great special bulk and a huge hp base stat. Also, since you haven't posted the calcs when snorlax is taking hits from clefable, I'll post them for you using the same clefable set:-
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 48-57 (17.9 - 21.3%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 94-112 (35.2 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 189-223 (70.7 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Even if somehow clef gets to +6 it doesn't ohko snorlax.

Almost every snorlax has fissure which ignores evasion boosts. Snorlax also has great special bulk and a huge hp base stat. Also, since you haven't posted the calcs when snorlax is taking hits from clefable, I'll post them for you using the same clefable set:-
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 48-57 (17.9 - 21.3%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 94-112 (35.2 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 189-223 (70.7 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Even if somehow clef gets to +6 it doesn't ohko snorlax.
Fissure not seen that often on Snorlax (and even if it is used, then never on the curse set). Also with 30% accuracy, there is a good chance that Snorlax will go down from repeated moonblasts before it connects or at least be damaged to the point where it can't wall anything anymore (since offensive Lax has no recovery it can't switch into most special moves anymore after taking 3 moonblasts). Like I said before, the offensive Snorlax is just whittled down. So even if Clefable does take more damage from Body Slam than Snorlax from Moonblast, Clefable can just use Moonlight to recover any damage and then proceed to fire off its next moonblast. The most important thing is that Snorlax can neither beat Clefable nor recover from damage so unless it gets really lucky with paralysis, Clefable will automatically win this battle. You seem to forget that Clefable is pretty bulky, so even it it doesn't OHKO at +6, that doesn't matter since it can sponge Snorlax attacks pretty well.

Fissure not seen that often on Snorlax (and even if it is used, then never on the curse set). Also with 30% accuracy, there is a good chance that Snorlax will go down from repeated moonblasts before it connects or at least be damaged to the point where it can't wall anything anymore (since offensive Lax has no recovery it can't switch into most special moves anymore after taking 3 moonblasts). Like I said before, the offensive Snorlax is just whittled down. So even if Clefable does take more damage from Body Slam than Snorlax from Moonblast, Clefable can just use Moonlight to recover any damage and then proceed to fire off its next moonblast. The most important thing is that Snorlax can neither beat Clefable nor recover from damage so unless it gets really lucky with paralysis, Clefable will automatically win this battle. You seem to forget that Clefable is pretty bulky, so even it it doesn't OHKO at +6, that doesn't matter since it can sponge Snorlax attacks pretty well.
Fissure is the most common move on snorlax. Also, rest is fairly common as well so it does have recovery. To beat snorlax, clefable needs atleast 5 turns on the field. In those 5 turns, fissure has a great chance of hitting. Body slam also has the the chance to paralyze clef which is very handy. Look, you are entitled to your own opinion and if your clef has countered lax in most of your battles, then good for you. But in my experience, clef has always been destroyed by lax.

Fissure is the most common move on snorlax. Also, rest is fairly common as well so it does have recovery. To beat snorlax, clefable needs atleast 5 turns on the field. In those 5 turns, fissure has a great chance of hitting. Body slam also has the the chance to paralyze clef which is very handy. Look, you are entitled to your own opinion and if your clef has countered lax in most of your battles, then good for you. But in my experience, clef has always been destroyed by lax.
If I'm doing the math right (1st year stat student), Fissure has a 92+% chance to hit over the course of 5 turns. It's worth mentioning that Minimize is absolutely useless here, because evasion can't stop OHKO moves. With 2 boosts (putting Lax on a 4-turn timer upon switching in unless it has Rest) that chance is smaller. Yes, it dies to +6 Clefable, but give me a mon that doesn't die to +6 Clefable and can OHKO it in return.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voting time! Put your votes in bold friends.

ethan06 : Taunt Gengar
Demantoid : Bold Resttalk Articuno
Benzi : Swords Dance Pinsir
Saywhaat : Calm Mind Clefable

I must go with Demantoid here. Articuno just beats these two as even Snorlax's Body Slam is not a 3HKO without boosts, and Articuno will eventually land that Sheer Cold.

Voting for demantoid as well. Luck is a huge factor in Kanto Classic and if it's on your side, you win the game. I don't think there is any other pokemon that can deal with these two as articuno can.

I think it's a toss up between Gengar and Articuno, but I'm gonna vote for Demantoid. Articuno has the advantage of being able to recover off damage and status, and can switch in on both Slowbro and Snorlax without fearing much of anything, unlike Gengar.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In case it wasn't obvious from my earlier post, I'm also voting for Demantoid. RestTalk Articuno (with Roar over Freeze-Dry though) is one of the first things I tried out and it's one of the few things I've stuck with.

I never got around to nominating something myself because I didn't like anything as much. I was gonna do Machamp but it doesn't do shit to Slowbro, and relies on being able to come in on Snorlax for free (coz using Fissure on predicted switches is a thing). I was then looking at a physically defensive Venomoth who can set up on both, but Body Slam paralysis stopped me and that was enough to not nom it for me (that and you need to get to +3 or +4 to 2HKO Lax so the paralysis chance is high with all those turns).

Yeah I already had that feeling that Articuno would win, it's a really solid counter. I'm also voting Demantoid, it's the best nomination there is. I entered a nomination of my own for the heck of it though, to keep the competition going somewhat.

DragonWhale

is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations to Demantoid for unanimously winning this week with his Articuno nomination! Don't forget to prepare for OHKO moves everyone.

This week we're going to go back to the usual Battle Spot Singles format, but with three Pokemon this time! These two Pokemon are often seen together thanks to their amazing synergy in the form of weather, and the strategy was strong enough to get it banned in BW OU. It's Excadrill and Tyranitar! The last Pokemon is a Pokemon that is seen together with this duo thanks to its ability to switch into Water, Ground, and Fighting type attacks the sand duo is weak against: Salamence!

Good luck breaking the first three-mon core!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Tomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

-1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 100 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 75-88 (42.3 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 108-128 (63.1 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
156 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 120-144 (57.9 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-T: 108-128 (61 - 72.3%)
156 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 194-230 (104.3 - 123.6%)
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 100 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 52-62 (29.3 - 35%)

Simple AV Landorus-T with HP Ice tech for usually beating Salamence. I EVd it to take two Jolly Double-Edges but honestly Salamence is ridiculous so I suggest pairing it with a strong priority user that's capable of taking off the last 40% of Salamence's HP in a worst-case scenario i.e. crits or boosts, or prior damage from Excadrill (Mega Kangaskhan and Mamoswine have the best matchup against the whole core, but Weavile and CB Talonflame are also solid picks against Salamence). As for the other two, Landorus can take a hit from both (barring full special or physically defensive Tyranitar which, stupidly, has a good chance of taking two Earthquakes) and OHKO Excadrill in return, as well as 2HKOing most Tyranitar.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 52 Atk / 244 SpA / 212 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- High Jump Kick / Superpower
- Protect

244 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 177-208 (104.1 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz or Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 328-385 (176.3 - 206.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 395-473 (225.7 - 270.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 265-317 (151.4 - 181.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 218-257 (117.2 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If they don't lead Salamence you can pretty much win turn 1. Unless they know you're special Blaziken, lead Salamence and Dragon Dance on your Protect, LO Blaziken walks all over this team's typical setup. That being said, the beauty of LO Blaziken is that they usually won't know you're special, and if this team leads anything other than Salamence then it has to play some very careful switches with Blaziken and hope it drops to Life Orb recoil + sand damage. With Superpower being so good here you can also avoid Flare Blitz recoil anyway. Blaziken is commonly paired with Thundurus or Rotom-W as well so in the event that they do have Salamence lead you can pretty safely go into Rotom-W and either burn or paralyze the Salamence. Rotom-W in particular checks the rest of the team decently since Excadrill is unlikely to be Mold Breaker with this core.

reserving Heracross + Cresselia k never mind

Suicune @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Rest

Super standard CroCune. Since all 3 of the listed mons happen to be physical, Suicune serves as a good counter to them. It will require a bit of prediction unlike using LO Blaziken (thanks for the snipe Psynergy), but in the end a skilled player should come out on top. Facing this core, you should probably lead with Suicune rather than keeping it for later; that way, a Salamence can't set up safely. You'll generally want to start with a Calm Mind, giving you the firepower to take out Tyranitar, Excadrill, and Salamence. Then, simply Rest off any big damage, and take them out.

Offensive Calcs

A Suicune at +2 tears this core apart. Without sand, you'd only need 1 boost, but Tyranitar's Sand Stream boosts the SpDef of itself and Excadrill, meaning you'll need 2 boosts to take out Tyranitar.

+2 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 212-252 (62.1 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 446-528 (123.2 - 145.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 0 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Mega Salamence: 368-436 (93.4 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Yes, even SpDef Salamence loses to this Suicune once it's set up.

Defensive Calcs

Suicune won't be OHKOed by any attack thrown out by this core; however, you'll want to watch out for an Excadrill that wants to set up Swords Dances; similarly, a Salamence that has too many boosts can be troublesome.

252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 109-130 (26.9 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 157-187 (38.8 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 313-370 (77.4 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
This shouldn't happen normally, but if it does, it can be problematic.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO
Being the only attack that has a chance of 2HKOing Suicune, you'll want to watch out for Salamence. Remember how I said you'll want to lead with Suicune? Yeah, this is why- so you can set up a Calm Mind, Rest, then finish it with an Ice Beam.

+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 271-319 (67 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Things look somewhat better if a Salamence tries using Suicune as setup fodder, that way, you can just go for an Ice Beam.

Last edited:
image.png

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- anything, not relevant for this core

Greninja plainly OHKOs all of this core while outspeeding, and only needs a bit of luck hitting Hydro Pum on Exca(which will outspeed in sand, so you have to watch out for that,) and Exca with lots of bulk investment and an AV ,as live a Hydro Pump. I excluded defensive calcs for Greninja since all these pretty much OHKO(except the TTar I was calling with, but I'm sure most don't run max physical bulk and instead have some Atk. I was just showing it doesn't matter what they run.) The last slot doesn't matter for the purposes of this core, and Greninja has a lot of options, so I thought I'd just make this easier(on myself,) and not list that move. It does depend on the rest of your team.

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 234-281 (113 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 291-346 (157.2 - 187%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 198-234 (107 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Really only TTar at +2 Speed, specially bulky AV Exca, or Megamence at +1 are beating Greninja reliably, and you shouldn't be giving the foe time to set up, and I don't think most Exca have lots of HP and/or SpD investment, and of those that do it's only the AV ones that count. Also, TTar and Mence with some speed boosts beat Blaziken as well, unless it has its own boosts Ofc.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 52 Atk / 244 SpA / 212 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- High Jump Kick / Superpower
- Protect

244 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 177-208 (104.1 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz or Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 328-385 (176.3 - 206.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 395-473 (225.7 - 270.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 265-317 (151.4 - 181.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 52 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 218-257 (117.2 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If they don't lead Salamence you can pretty much win turn 1. Unless they know you're special Blaziken, lead Salamence and Dragon Dance on your Protect, LO Blaziken walks all over this team's typical setup. That being said, the beauty of LO Blaziken is that they usually won't know you're special, and if this team leads anything other than Salamence then it has to play some very careful switches with Blaziken and hope it drops to Life Orb recoil + sand damage. With Superpower being so good here you can also avoid Flare Blitz recoil anyway. Blaziken is commonly paired with Thundurus or Rotom-W as well so in the event that they do have Salamence lead you can pretty safely go into Rotom-W and either burn or paralyze the Salamence. Rotom-W in particular checks the rest of the team decently since Excadrill is unlikely to be Mold Breaker with this core.
Is it too early for me to vote?

DragonWhale

Voting time! I was hoping tco would finish his bro reservation, but it's been a week so here goes. Make sure to put your votes in bold.

ethan06 : AV HP Ice Lando-T
Psynergy : LO Blaziken
6tennis : CM Suicune
Omastar68 : Special Greninja w/Low Kick

My vote goes to Psynergy. Like he said, this core doesn't have a lot of options against a lead Blaziken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)