Rejected - Inactive "Simplified" EV Option?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I think this will be a bit of an odd suggestion, and I wouldn't blame it for being rejected. An idea came into my head about a more easily digestible EV display for beginners. This isn't really for me, but others who may be interested. I think this could make it easier to understand what EVs actually do for new players and streamline the learning process.

How about dividing the 252 EVs by 4 to get the "actual stat increase"? 4 EVs = 1 stat point, thus meaning you can add up to 63 points to a stat, so why not add an option to simplify it to make it more easily visualized? Unless there are scenarios where 4 EVs won't add a stat point (in which, please correct me!), I feel it would be reasonably easy to implement.

I do think something like this could cause wider issues in how beginners transfer to the wider scene, though. EVs are a large part of competitive Pokemon. A simplified view could make a conversation more difficult due to two different viewing systems. It could also add complications to resources such as the Strategy Dex. As a result, there could be an adverse effect, debatably making it complicate the system more.

Not sure what I would name a system like this. Perhaps "Added Stat View"?

I believe it should be toggle-able in settings for those who prefer to view the actual EVs (such as myself) rather than this hypothetical view. I think you could possibly place the toggle around where this orange box is.
1589810663036.png

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Unless there are scenarios where 4 EVs won't add a stat point (in which, please correct me!), I feel it would be reasonably easy to implement.
That's the case in the formats that do not use Level 100 as their default level, such as LC (level 5), VGC/BSS (level 50). Sometimes 4 EV won't change a stat in LC, sometimes it'll increase it by 2 points in BSS, and there might be more examples as well.

There are also a few times even at level 100 that 4 EVs will give you 2 stat points (a "jump point", as it's referred to) because of some rounding weirdness with natures.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
The multiple-of-4 nature is sort of ugly, though. It would be nicer to think of it as 127 "points" you can allocate, rather than 508 "bundles of 4 points each" you can allocate.

But the problem is that every other guide talks about them in terms of 510 and 252 point limits, so if we changed how our teambuilder worked, all the online guides would stop making sense.

I think it would be possible to come up with something sufficiently easier to use that we'd prefer it over the current system, but it would take a lot of in-depth design work, and thinking through all the edge cases brought up (every 4 EVs can increase your stats by either 0 or 1 at lower levels, or 1 or 2 at higher levels).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)