Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Use this thread to ask questions that can be answered in one post. This avoids the issue of users creating several threads asking basic questions like "what sets does x run?" and "what are the best entry hazard setters?" and provides a centralized resource for all users.

Some guidelines to follow:
  1. Keep the questions related to NU. If you have a question about another tier or something in-game, ask it in the proper subforum.
  2. Don't ask for suspect tests or give predictions on what you think will be suspect tested.
  3. If you're answering someone else's question, quote it when replying so other users can see whose post yours is aimed at.

Are there any Gen VIII NFE Pokemon worth testing out in NU outside of a gimmick? Drakloak has 102 Speed and a usable 80 Atk, Morgrem is one of the few pokemon in tier with prankster, Hattrem has decent bulk and MBounce. The rest don't look too good (outside of the starters when their HA gets released).

Are there any Gen VIII NFE Pokemon worth testing out in NU outside of a gimmick? Drakloak has 102 Speed and a usable 80 Atk, Morgrem is one of the few pokemon in tier with prankster, Hattrem has decent bulk and MBounce. The rest don't look too good (outside of the starters when their HA gets released).
galar Mr Mime and Hattrem, maybe carkol

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Haunter is really solid as a wallbreaker, Piloswine and Rhydon are two of the best Stealth Rock setters in the tier, and Galarian Mr. Mime is one of the few options for entry hazard control. Then you have some more niche options like Duosion, Roselia, Sliggoo, Mareanie, and Dusclops that have some sort of niche. Hell, even Trapinch and Diglett are usable for trapping stuff.

Carkol is dogshit pls no use

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Is Skuntank being used in NU currently?
Not really, but I have used it as a somewhat decent Haunter check. NP sets look good on paper, but honestly not worth running since both Skuntank's SpAtk and Speed are middling. I've tried it as a stallbreaker to decent success, since it is one of the few mons that still have access to Toxic pre-Home.

Not really, but I have used it as a somewhat decent Haunter check. NP sets look good on paper, but honestly not worth running since both Skuntank's SpAtk and Speed are middling. I've tried it as a stallbreaker to decent success, since it is one of the few mons that still have access to Toxic pre-Home.
I wanted to check on the status of my favorite Pokémon in case I wanted to get into the competitive scene.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
What are the common Ghost resists being used in NU right now, if there are any good ones?

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
What are the common Ghost resists being used in NU right now, if there are any good ones?
Can't really say there are any solid ghost resists at all. Silvally-dark and Scrafty come to mind as the more viable options, but Ghosts like Haunter and Cofagrigus have sufficient coverage to dent them hard, with the latter being able to comfortably stomach the physical hits. I did mention Skuntank as a potential candidate in an earlier post, put it still gets hit pretty hard by Haunter's Sludge Wave/Dazzling Gleam.

Also I have been using this Stunkisk set to counter Vikavolt and it also happens to check Haunter pretty well

Stunfisk-Galar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 152 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

EVs are to evade the 2HKO from Choice Specs Vikavolt's Energy Ball and Haunter's Shadow Ball and then 2HKO Vikavolt with Stone Edge. I originally had Scald for a form of status, but you can use Crunch or Sucker Punch to deal with Haunter if needed.

How do people work around the Sp. Attack drop from moves like Overheat/Draco Meteor/Leaf Storm/etc.? Isn't the drop something that would be off-putting? It remains fairly common though and I'd appreciate elaboration on how to better work this into teams. Looking at you, Drampa.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
How do people work around the Sp. Attack drop from moves like Overheat/Draco Meteor/Leaf Storm/etc.? Isn't the drop something that would be off-putting? It remains fairly common though and I'd appreciate elaboration on how to better work this into teams. Looking at you, Drampa.
Switching out is done oftentimes after that. Those moves have enough power to warrant the immediate drawback in some scenarios. It is hard to generalize this because there are so many different Pokemon, sets, and scenarios.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
As Finchinator said, there are a bunch of different scenarios / ways to work around it, but for Drampa I would suggest that you have a way to stop opposing sweepers from setting up on Drampa at -2, or have a mon to force them out / revenge kill them.

If the opponent sees that Drampa is at -2, they might be tempted to set up with a sweeper like NP Swoobat, BD Slurpuff, SD Silvally-Fairy (or many other Silvally types), et cetera. If Drampa is not holding a Choice item, it can solve this problem itself by using Glare (Substitute sweepers notwithstanding). Teammates can also help -- defensive mons such as Garbodor and Cofagrigus can be effective at taking a hit from those sweepers and severely crippling them, and offensive mons with speed or priority such as Sneasel, Technician Hitmontop/chan, and others can outspeed and KO some of them (such as Swoobat, which is super frail).

You can also run Eject Pack on Drampa if you're really worried about getting taken advantage of at -2. Eject Pack is an item that automatically switches your Pokemon out if it uses a move that drops its own stats. However, usually the extra power offered by something like Choice Specs / Life Orb or the utility offered by Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots will be superior.

Hope this helps! :)

Also regarding Drampa/draco meteor specifically, dragon moves have pretty bad coverage, hitting nothing super effective - so pretty much the only reason to use it is to get as strong of a neutral hit as possible when your other moves also aren't SE.

In addition, dragon's other special option are basically limited to dragon pulse, a weak move with no effect. In fact, two draco meteors including the drop (130 + 65) are stronger than two dragon pulses (80 + 80). This is one of the reasons in general that draco meteor is much more common than overheat or leaf storm- while overheat competes with fire blast (similar power and awesome burn chance) and leaf storm competes with giga drain (healing), draco meteor has no real competition

Any suggestions for Wish passing and/or Heal Bell (or Aromatherapy) users?
Slurpuff is really great in this role. It can wish pass, it has Aromatherapy, or you can even run something like Sticky Webs or Calm Mind. It’s a solid check to fighting types, Sneasel, etc.

Other options for clerics are Flareon, Clefairy, Lanturn, or Togedemaru (for Wish).

Is this good?

Slurpuff (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 152 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Play Rough
- Protect

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Slurpuff: 154-183 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Slurpuff: 262-309 (71.1 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

4 Spe is so after Unburden activates (via Knock Off), Slufpuff can outspeed Jolly Sneasel

Last edited:

Rabia

GP & NU Leader
Is this good?

Slurpuff (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 152 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Play Rough
- Toxic

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Slurpuff: 154-183 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Slurpuff: 262-309 (71.1 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

4 Spe is so after Unburden activates (via Knock Off), Slufpuff can outspeed Jolly Sneasel
I would never go Heal Bell + Toxic on a Wish user; you really want Protect over one or the other so you can guarantee the self heal.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Its definitely in the semi-viable range, mainly just functioning as a way to break teams and explicitely lure stuff like Lanturn. Its definitely also not a top tier mon, and realistically should be PU by now on its own merits, as its functionally just a worse vikavolt in the majority of games. Most of its usage is really just ladder trying out a new mon imo rather than Arctozolt being a solid NU mon on its own merits. Here's a sample set:

Arctozolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Hydro Pump
- Stomping Tantrum
- Icicle Crash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)