Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Solgaleo is the only Pokemon that use regularly a Teleport set (a SightPort to be precise) so far in the meta, alongside with the pretty rare Xatu. Both have very different role, so it's hard to say which is the "best"!
Is there any merit to using slowbro to cover DMN/Groudon/Zygarde? I was thinking Scald/Ice Beam/Recover/Teleport?

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
I was looking at the sample teams and saw this set for Zekrom:

Zekrom @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Claw

It was on a webs team but like is this a prominent set outside of that one sample team?

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
I was looking at the sample teams and saw this set for Zekrom:

Zekrom @ Roseli Berry
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Claw

It was on a webs team but like is this a prominent set outside of that one sample team?
Mixed Zekrom is a really good set on its own, but yes in the sample it has several notable things; Dragon Dance is usually played with Roost or Magnet Rise to capitalize on passive targets / Ground attackers that don't have a Dragon coverage such as Necrozma-DM and Groudon. Not only this, but Roseli Berry is also pretty rare but definitely good on Zekrom, it aims defensive Xerneas as +1 Bolt Strike will always 2HKO it. Usually, Mixed Zekrom is played like this:

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Scale Shot

Life Orb ensures Zekrom to always 2HKO defensive Xerneas (as long as it doesn't carry Leftovers, which diminish your chance 252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 230-270 (50.4 - 59.2%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Mixed Zekrom is a really good set on its own, but yes in the sample it has several notable things; Dragon Dance is usually played with Roost or Magnet Rise to capitalize on passive targets / Ground attackers that don't have a Dragon coverage such as Necrozma-DM and Groudon. Not only this, but Roseli Berry is also pretty rare but definitely good on Zekrom, it aims defensive Xerneas as +1 Bolt Strike will always 2HKO it. Usually, Mixed Zekrom is played like this:

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Scale Shot

Life Orb ensures Zekrom to always 2HKO defensive Xerneas (as long as it doesn't carry Leftovers, which diminish your chance 252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 230-270 (50.4 - 59.2%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)
Ah yea I was thinking the Roseli was primarily for the Xerneas Moonblast, and was thinking the normal mixed set would be better, but this made it more clear ty

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi, are there any tips on how to tell at Team Preview, if a Yveltal is potentially a Life Orb set with powerful Oblivion Wings?
Usually the only teams that use Life Orb Yveltal are teams that either;
- Have another Dark Type (so they have a calyrex-shadow switchin)
- Hyper Offense builds, these type of builds tend to lead mons like; Slurpuff, Shuckle, Aerodactyl, Froslass

Taka

coastin' like crazy
PUPL Champion
I see that Grimmsnarl is ranked on the VR as C+. Is Grimmsnarl/screens in general a viable playstyle, and worth running over other HO styles like Webs, or merely running Aero/Cloy leads?

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I see that Grimmsnarl is ranked on the VR as C+. Is Grimmsnarl/screens in general a viable playstyle, and worth running over other HO styles like Webs, or merely running Aero/Cloy leads?
Honestly, screens at this point have very little to do in playstyle with other HO formes and is definitely underexplored. Nevertheless, it definitely requires a lot more careful play compared to the ever-present webs HO that is extremely plug and play or the "keep hazards off no matter what" Aero/Exca leads type of teams. At the end of the day, Ubers is still a "busted-beats-busted" tier and HO makes you susceptible to matchup moreso than the typical balance/bulky offense that is usually seen. Running Grimmsnarl instead of Aerodactyl or something will not change that.

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
What niches do Zamazenta-H and Kyurem black have for them to rise from D rank?
Zamazenta-H is able to be a bulky howl user who uses its defensive ability dauntless shield to take hits easier and make an attempt to overwhelm the opponent with it. Otherwise their is always the choice band set, which can do alot of damage to the best mons in the tier, like eternatus with psychic fangs, ice fang for groudon/zyg (which otherwise could potentially check it), yveltal (any non lo set/hone claws acrobatics lose to it) or necrozma dusk mane which just gets crunched. It isnt barely viable unlike the remaining D Rank mons.

Kyurem-Black's niche is dragon dance mainly, being able to hit nearly any mon in the tier super effective is massive for it, the only 3 answers for kyurem-b are necrozma/xerneas/ferrothorn. Kyu-b is mostly used on teams with magnezone (iirc) which takes care of the necrozma/ferrothorn which could have answered kyu-b, and xerneas gets annoyed by stealth rock alot of the times, making it so it isnt always healthy enough to take a icicle spear from either neutral or +1.

Last edited:

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
drill peck or body press?? on steel birds
Body Press is much better for those mons, drill peck doesnt hit anything really in the tier due to the lack of good fighting/grass etc types. Body press also helps out a bunch dealing with potential dd'rs like ndm or even 2 attacks sd groudon, cause they run iron defense, which helps them outboost the examples i mentioned and do alot more damage via the set up.

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
what type of defensive core is nice for hazard control if ur running like darm-g or hooh for example?
Knock Off absorbers are great in pair with Ho-Oh, meaning Xerneas, Clefable, and defensive variants of Eternatus are all good with Ho-Oh.

Since it's extremely frail and sensitive to priority moves such as Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch, G-darm appreciates defensives entries such as Xerneas and defensive Yveltal. In general it appreciates teams with multiple Defog users (with Lunala + Yveltal for example), since it usually drops to priority moves after Stealth Rock damages.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan-Galar: 255-300 (72.6 - 85.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Black Glasses Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan-Galar: 297-351 (84.6 - 100%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: to be more precise, Ho-Oh likes Yveltal and Lunala as partners for their Defog, and overall Yveltal is usually the best defogger if you are looking for one. Yveltal and Ho-Oh forms one of the most reliable defensive core against Calyrex-S, while Lunala is a pretty solid answer to Zekrom and cripples Groudon with more safety. It's also a good check to Zygarde, while Ho-Oh can melt specially defensive Ferrothorn against which Lunala can't do much. Sorry on this one, I was off topic :psysad:

Last edited:
Knock Off absorbers are great in pair with Ho-Oh, meaning Xerneas, Clefable, and defensive variants of Eternatus are all good with Ho-Oh.

Since it's extremely frail and sensitive to priority moves such as Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch, G-darm appreciates defensives entries such as Xerneas and defensive Yveltal. In general it appreciates teams with multiple Defog users (with Lunala + Yveltal for example), since it usually drops to priority moves after Stealth Rock damages.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan-Galar: 255-300 (72.6 - 85.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Black Glasses Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan-Galar: 297-351 (84.6 - 100%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: to be more precise, Ho-Oh likes Yveltal and Lunala as partners for their Defog, and overall Yveltal is usually the best defogger if you are looking for one. Yveltal and Ho-Oh forms one of the most reliable defensive core against Calyrex-S, while Lunala is a pretty solid answer to Zekrom and cripples Groudon with more safety. It's also a good check to Zygarde, while Ho-Oh can melt specially defensive Ferrothorn against which Lunala can't do much. Sorry on this one, I was off topic :psysad:
so if i run yvel lunala i can use offensive hooh without boots and darm??

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
Translations Leader
so if i run yvel lunala i can use offensive hooh without boots and darm??
It's an option to not run HDB on Ho-Oh yes, as you can play Choice Band (other other niche options like Life Orb) if you use multiple defoggers alongside with it (and in this case, I'd bring a defogger that is not weak to Rocks such as Giratina or Xerneas paired with the mandatory Yveltal). I'd use HDB on Ho-Oh if I only have one defogger paired with it, as offensive Ho-Oh usually doesn't lack the offensive power to break through its targets (being Eternatus and everything that is weak to Fire- / Flying- types attacks, like Ferrothorn and Necrozma-DM). And yes, G-darm is usually played with a Choice Scarf or a Choice Band, as the boost in Speed/Attack is what it lacks to be an effective revenge killer/wallbreaker. Furthermore, I'd not use any other items on it.

Super simple question I hope.

For those playing high level Ubers, I’m curious to know what meta changes or trends have led Weavile to go from 15% usage in June 2022 to 6.8% in September 2022 amongst 1760+ Ubers? That's a drop of over half the usage in a 3 month span so I feel like it's significant enough that something must have really changed.

Weavile Usage at 1760+ Elo Ubers
MonthJuneJulyAugustSeptember
Usage15.01%13.30%8.71%6.80%

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)