Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darkrai is still in ubers because he is still good without dark void but he learns hypno that has something more right and you can take it with Darkinium z / Firium z everything depends on what you want. It is an option for Magearna, for example, but it is better as it appears in the forum. This mon can be abusive against stall above all. The strategy of sleeping seems easy and in a free turn it is Nasty but the result can be lethal. The damage caused by his ability is also annoying if the opponent is asleep. In ou, it would be ridiculous in my opinion. It is true that you do not see much but with a reduced set and knowing its function is dangerous.

I recently found out that box legendary Pokemon are by default ubers, so why is suicune not
Suicune is also a trio legendary, and was such before Crystal.
Also, not all of the box art legends are Ubers. Like Black Kyurem, for instance.
And to add to that, Suicune just isn't strong/broken enough to be banned to Ubers.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I recently found out that box legendary Pokemon are by default ubers, so why is suicune not
While we do have box legends as a general guideline for what’s automatically put in Ubers, Smogon’s not so in love with that rule to put a Pokémon with 580 BST instead of 680 BST into ubers for no real reason. At this point (and keep in mind that Suicune was introduced and on a box before Smogon even started) there’s more than enough evidence that Suicune isn’t broken that there’s no real reason to start it in Ubers every generation, much like Kyurem-B in generation 6 and 7.

Tl;dr Common sense, box legend is a shorthand for ~680 BST legendary not a 580 one

In Ubers I’ve seen a ton of Arceus for a used such as Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Water and Arceus Ghost, even. Why do some Arceus forms get much more usage than the others? Arceus-Steel has a great defensive typing with lots of resistances, but Arceus-Water is a much more used support form. Also, I’ve never seen Arceus-Grass or Arceus-Fighting before. Is there something about them that makes them undesirable to use? Please forgive any mistakes on my part, I play in the lower tiers.

In Ubers I’ve seen a ton of Arceus for a used such as Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Water and Arceus Ghost, even. Why do some Arceus forms get much more usage than the others? Arceus-Steel has a great defensive typing with lots of resistances, but Arceus-Water is a much more used support form. Also, I’ve never seen Arceus-Grass or Arceus-Fighting before. Is there something about them that makes them undesirable to use? Please forgive any mistakes on my part, I play in the lower tiers.
Right now the best defensive forms of Arceus / most used are Water, Ground and Fairy. Each of them cover important threats. The first is good check PDon and Pogre (not Thunder) The second covers many things and some that the Water can not as Dialga / Lucario. The point in favor is the amount of mons you cover with GroundCeus. The use of FairyCeus increased since much mons was used as Yveltal or Marsh and defensively is among the best. You can put WoW on Toxic in that final slot for Necrozma. And well, it is understood that all face the dragons of the tier as Mence or Rayquaza. Arceus Fight can have in favor that it can eliminate everything that is called Lucario / Ferro / Dialga or Darkrai. But in my opinion it seems like a horrible form of Ceus. Maybe it is better defensive than offensive but almost all the common mons that are used enter it. Ho-Oh, Yveltal, Lugia, Psy spam (Lele + DeoxA Mewtwo Y) Toxapex and above all dragons and fairies. Not to mention Gengar and Marsh among others. But it also turns out to be an interesting check of Arceus extreme killer like Buzzwole or Mmewtwo X. GhostCeus was used before but now it does not look that much. But that does not mean that offensively it is bad, just the opposite is the best there is in the normal way. You get a lot of potential especially on Sticky web equipment. It has Brick Break coverage to break Mons of the normal type. The only thing that Shadow Force turns if you want more damage. SteelCeus does not seem like a bad type but if you talk about a mon that you have all together is different. Honestly on the offensive side it seems better since you can always put SE with an SD set and thus eliminate a threat like HoOh for example. In addition to its weaknesses common to Fire, Ground and Fight. The good thing is also that you absorb status like Toxic and its many resistances. Finally the Grass I think you can demand a little more if you use defensive or even CM with Z. Grass Knot is important because PD dominates the tier and I do not think it fits well. The Fireblast / Ice Beam coverage is for both steels and dragons threats. Timid is almost mandatory to take it. It does not have much more because it is the loosest forms to use in ubers but it is true that it looks more than others.

Best counters for DM necrozma, toxapex, mageara.
Hey, welcome to Smogon.
Well, I hope I can help and solve your doubts.

We're going by order. DM Necrozma's check counters are Dark type like Yveltal or DarkCeus. Ho-Oh / GroundCeus / Zygarde bulky water type (Kyogre / WaterCeus) PDon / GhostCeus / Arceus / Gengar / Slowbro & Marsh. It also depends on the set you carry but this is several check - counters you have.

Toxapex is interesting to cover Lucario or Marsh, but their check and counters are usually mainly Ground type or Psychic type and Electric type. For example; PDon / GroundCeus / Arceus Ekiller with EQ / Zekrom / Zygarde / Lunala / DeoxysA / Tapu Lele. In summary all are.

Magearna is similar to the first. Your threats or check counters are Ground type or Fire type. Everything PDon / HoOh / GroundCeus / Zygarde / Blaziken or mons with Fire and Ground coverage as Yveltal Heat Wave or FireBlast Palkia / Dialga. I think that's fine for you to take into account.

I have been very direct and I hope I have helped you to be prepared.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've been around PS for years now but I haven't touched forums until this past year; Ubers was the first tier I enjoyed playing before anything else because it seemed so cool to me. I've been trying to get into playing Ubers more seriously, have had tutoring for it recently, and I'm driven more so now after reading this: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/potential-changes-to-grand-slam-snake.3634601/#post-7784506. Basically my question is, what can I do to improve, and how can I help?

Last edited:
I've been around PS for years now but I haven't touched forums until this past year; Ubers was the first tier I enjoyed playing before anything else because it seemed so cool to me. I've been trying to get into playing Ubers more seriously, have had tutoring for it recently, and I'm driven more so now after reading this: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/potential-changes-to-grand-slam-snake.3634601/#post-7784506. Basically my question is, what can I do to improve, and how can I help?
Ubers is for me the best tier by far. I've been playing for years and also in Forums. I love the variety of teams and styles that it has.

I am not good at giving advice but to improve you can continue with tutorials or play tours of the tier and thus improve more and more. The best way is to play yourself until you defend yourself well in any situation.

Maybe with all that and with time you can help people who need to enter this world (ubers)

I'm building a HO team with Deo-A, but no hazards or devoted lead so far. I was going to drop Deo-A for Deo-S, since I can't run both, but I'm not sure what to replace Deo-A with for a Wallbreaker. What are some common Wallbreakers that can serve a similar role as Deoxys? I have no mega, but the power drop of no life orb seems unappealing. Alternatively, I might just use Smeargle over Deo-S, but it's slow and therefore weak to taunt.

For context, I'm using a psychic terrain team, so I was thinking of using Mega Meet so x/y, or maybe even Hoopa, though the later unfortunately fails to outspeed many bulky mind that it wants to break (like Arceus, Yveltal, and Kyogre).

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I'm building a HO team with Deo-A, but no hazards or devoted lead so far. I was going to drop Deo-A for Deo-S, since I can't run both, but I'm not sure what to replace Deo-A with for a Wallbreaker. What are some common Wallbreakers that can serve a similar role as Deoxys? I have no mega, but the power drop of no life orb seems unappealing. Alternatively, I might just use Smeargle over Deo-S, but it's slow and therefore weak to taunt.

For context, I'm using a psychic terrain team, so I was thinking of using Mega Meet so x/y, or maybe even Hoopa, though the later unfortunately fails to outspeed many bulky mind that it wants to break (like Arceus, Yveltal, and Kyogre).
If you're opting for a psychic terrain team, candidates you can try is Ultra Necrozma as photon geyser is absurd in terrain. Hoopa is too frail and slow to consider, you could also just consider a Dusk Mane Necrozma with Rock Polish and Photon geyser if a Xerneas weakness is a concern, most psychic terrain teams force team building in a certain way, Mega Mewtwo Y/X are pokemon hard to justify on Psychic terrain teams because of this reason and don't bring much to the team as say, Ultra Necrozma would do. Pokemon like Magearna also come to mind for psychic terrain team since it compresses dealing with Xerneas/Yveltal issues into one slot and you could try a neat tech such as Specs Magearna.

People usually just bring a Primal Groudon as stealth rocker. You could use a lead Arceus-Fairy as rocker, since dark types are highly troublesome for psychic terrain teams. Just remember, just because you're using psychic terrain, it doesn't mean that you have to bring all 6 psychic types.

So, I've been testing a variety of suicide leads, and I think I'm going to settle on Excadrill, since it has a great match up against several other leads. However, it does struggle with Cloyster, but I'm not sure if it's common enough to account for. It also creates a bit of a 50/50 against itself. As such, I am thinking about using pheromosa for Excadrill and Cloyster, but do these mons warrant a team slot? Pheromosa doesn't do much outside of this niche, but I'm not sure how else to reliably stop opposing leads.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
So, I've been testing a variety of suicide leads, and I think I'm going to settle on Excadrill, since it has a great match up against several other leads. However, it does struggle with Cloyster, but I'm not sure if it's common enough to account for. It also creates a bit of a 50/50 against itself. As such, I am thinking about using pheromosa for Excadrill and Cloyster, but do these mons warrant a team slot? Pheromosa doesn't do much outside of this niche, but I'm not sure how else to reliably stop opposing leads.
Quick hazards are not very effective in the meta, all hazard leads struggle at the moment because of abundance of defog users introduced in USUM, meaning team options skew towards more consistent setters such as Arceus formes and Primal Groudon. Excadrill leads are probably the least effective out of the hazard leads at the moment. Cloyster is one of the more workable leads to consider, it has a positive match-up against all other hazard leads and can provide a little bit of offensive presence against fatter teams thanks to Shell Smash, which other leads are not capable of,while doing a considerable means of damage output against offense teams, meaning mons that would lead against excadrill can't lead against cloyster such as Yveltal. It also beats Pheromosa trying to anti lead, which isn't truly worth considering for it's niche to counter-lead / rapid spin at the very moment.

If you want various options to beat hazard leads, strong defoggers like Mega Salamence using the Jolly Defog set or Giratina-O are worth considering, Taunt Yveltal can also shut down Excadrill leads, just to name a few examples.

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Is Z-Celebrate Skymin even viable? I want to try and team build around it but I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Is Z-Celebrate Skymin even viable? I want to try and team build around it but I'd like to know if it's worth it.
Above you will find an answer in the same question.

But I honestly do not see results. It would be even more useful with Groundium z. But I do not consider it. It is a mon with several sets (LO, Specs, Scarf) anyone is better than z. In addition, there are better users who can take advantage of that gap. Sky Shaymin does another job better than being annoying thanks to his ability.

I have not seen much this mon but I never saw it like that and I have not used it either but I guess it's fun to play it if you're lucky enough.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Are thare any good u-turn or volt switcher in the meta right now??
Unfortunately, there aren't too many to come by in Ubers, however there is a select few of them that are worthwhile.

Magearna and Yveltal are probably the most effective Volt Switch / U-Turn users, to help create momentum. sets such as Choice Scarf / Specs Yveltal can also Utilise U-turn and pairs well with Mega Gengar to trap and remove targets Scarf Yveltal usually baits in such as Arceus-Fairy, whether as Magearna is usually used on bulkier teams to provide an effective check against fairies and dark types but can be suspectible to Fire types such as Ho-Oh and Groudon. Primal Kyogre can also take advantage of U-turn / Volt Switch users. Another user to consider is Mega Scizor after these aforementioned users, other niche users such as Genesect and Pheromosa also exist, but usually aren't worth considering on teams due to their considerable downsides.

Last edited:
is it possible for zekrom to fill a sweeper role??

assuming proper support is given and Primal G is taken care of
You could run a set of Hone Claws, Tailwind, Outrage, Bolt Strike with a Dragonium Z as the item. You will need to have the opposing team heavily weakened first, and it will need a lot of support, but it's doable. However, it will generally be outclassed by other sweepers like Double Dance Necrozma-DM, Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Dragon Dance Mega Salamence.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Is the set VR ever going to make a comeback? I feel with Ubers its especially nice due to how many viable sets some top tier mons can run and having a list to distinct their viability would be pretty useful.

Can USM Ubers get a bazaar thread? There's very few Ubers RMTs and the sample teams are all kind of meh. In lieu of a new thread, is there any place I can find fresh teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)