Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

regarding covert cloak:

did some testing. found that although it negates the para from nuzzle, and negates the poison from mortal spin, it does not stop the residual effect from salt cure applying. i find this oddly inconsistent compared to the moves mentioned above and other moves with a guaranteed additional effect such as fake out.

anyone have an explanation for this? i haven't tested this in-game, but i just wanted to bring it up in case it's a coding issue on showdown with salt cure.

regarding covert cloak:

did some testing. found that although it negates the para from nuzzle, and negates the poison from mortal spin, it does not stop the residual effect from salt cure applying. i find this oddly inconsistent compared to the moves mentioned above and other moves with a guaranteed additional effect such as fake out.

anyone have an explanation for this? i haven't tested this in-game, but i just wanted to bring it up in case it's a coding issue on showdown with salt cure.
cloak also doesn't negate the residual damage from moves like fire spin, so maybe it's just a different category of effect or something. still seems odd.

edit: my best guess is that since flinch, para, poison, etc. are effects that typically have a chance of occuring, moves like fake out, nuzzle, and mortal spin *have* a "secondary effect" but that effect happens to have a 100% chance of occurring. whereas salt cure and fire spin residual damage is just baked into the move, similar to how close combat doesn't work with sheer force.

edit 2: after testing in-game, this does appear to be a showdown bug, as covert cloak does stop salt cure residual on cart. so i've created a thread in the OU forum, if there is a better place to report the bug please let me know.

Last edited:
is there somewhere i can view games between top players rn to see team comps/strategies. are there any ongoing tournaments right now?

is there somewhere i can view games between top players rn to see team comps/strategies. are there any ongoing tournaments right now?
There is the SV OU No Johns Tour that you can find here

Furthermore there is Zomog's tour which has BO3 SV OU and some really good players

There is also Teamballo starting tomorrow which features 3 SV OU slots and really strong people aswell

To find the upcoming rounds of the last 2 teamtours just go check their subforum every monday/week

I don't know if this is a bug or if its intended, but Cover Cloak right now doesn't protect you from Salt Cure. Could someone test it ingame to see if it works this way?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1730808935
Not an expert on this or anything, but according to this post Covert Cloak should block Salt Cure, so this is likely a bug.

You can report this in the Pokémon Showdown bug report thread, it looks like it's been reported thrice already though and one of the posts tagged ironwater, so it's likely that PS Admins know about it

Does beads of ruin reduce spdef before or after taking assault vest into account? I am interested about specs and vessel of ruin as well.

I have got a question about both urshifus:

when they get released will they get banned immediately or they will be allowed in OU for a limited ammount of time?
now that they both received swords dance they are probably going to break OU,and single-strike already got banned in gen 8.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
gen 9 brought buckets of new and powerful threats that push the limits of the game just like the urshifu formes did.

also, by the time urshifu comes out, any number of other product releases (dlc, new games) may have come and gone, with who knows what new and returning threats to compete with them. we'll really have no way of knowing how they will perform until they arrive and we play with them.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
waht do archived teams mean?
If by that you mean teams found here then it means the best teams that have been posted in the rmt, or just the well written ones and are worth keeping a record of

I have got a question about both urshifus:

when they get released will they get banned immediately or they will be allowed in OU for a limited ammount of time?
now that they both received swords dance they are probably going to break OU,and single-strike already got banned in gen 8.
No, we'll be testing them to see if they're manageable or not. Even the absolute broken shit that was Genesect was tested when it arrived last gen in the crown tundra. We see what happens and if both the forums and half the ou council are screaming for a pokemon to get banned it gets banned immediately. If half the forums thinks its broken, it'll probably get suspect tested. If there isn't enough support for any tiering action, it's probably gonna stay. Basically, unless the entire forums and half the council screams a pokemon is broken, it doesn't really get quickedbanned and would normally result in a suspect test. At least that's how things were handled last gen

With Urshifu, there only real option is just to wait and see. Even now the meta is what, two weeks old? Three? It's too early to tell not to mention that bear thing isn't even in the game yet. One thing is for sure, we'll be testing out if it fits in the tier or not

gen 9 brought buckets of new and powerful threats that push the limits of the game just like the urshifu formes did.

also, by the time urshifu comes out, any number of other product releases (dlc, new games) may have come and gone, with who knows what new and returning threats to compete with them. we'll really have no way of knowing how they will perform until they arrive and we play with them.
True, theorycrafting would only get so far. So if the game does have dlcs or some other stuff, we'll probably be testing them out in the tier and see if they fit. This is within reason of course as boxart legendaries usually just get banned to ubers

This might be an odd question, but does tiering allow for banning of non-base forms if they're still of the permanent-in-battle type?

For example, if Zamazenta-Crowned was found to be OU-safe in a test but Hero was not (mostly a hypothetical, but maybe could happen due to typing difference and item access so I picked that for one), would the tiering allow the former in since holding the Shield ensures it never enters the barred form? Is that treading too close to Complex bans examples like "Kyogre but it can't use Specs" or such examples of Pokemon being required to use/not-use specific things in a tier?

Mostly a curiosity because this seems like the first instance where an interaction like that is relevant to consider (Giratina works the same mechanically but neither form was ever going near OU). Even as an edge case I'm also curious in the context of tiering policy for the concept at large as a precedent.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This might be an odd question, but does tiering allow for banning of non-base forms if they're still of the permanent-in-battle type?

For example, if Zamazenta-Crowned was found to be OU-safe in a test but Hero was not (mostly a hypothetical, but maybe could happen due to typing difference and item access so I picked that for one), would the tiering allow the former in since holding the Shield ensures it never enters the barred form? Is that treading too close to Complex bans examples like "Kyogre but it can't use Specs" or such examples of Pokemon being required to use/not-use specific things in a tier?

Mostly a curiosity because this seems like the first instance where an interaction like that is relevant to consider (Giratina works the same mechanically but neither form was ever going near OU). Even as an edge case I'm also curious in the context of tiering policy for the concept at large as a precedent.
Hello. Ever since a thread was made in PR forums, they are tiered as 2 individual mons, similar to Giratina & Giratina Origin.

The thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ta-c-be-tiered-resolved.3673325/#post-8659168

In the Metagame Discussion thread, there was some discrepancy on how best to apply the X of Ruin abilities to the Showdown calculator until they're implemented. Specifically, when calculating for the Sword and Beads there looked to be confusion on what to multiply the base power of Chien-Pao / Chi-Yu's moves by to most accurately reproduce how much damage they'll do. One user said to multiply the move BP by 1.25x, and another later implied the more correct move BP multiplier is 1.33x. Which of these is more accurate to assess the power of Chien-Pao's and Chi-Yu's moves, or is there an even better way folks are utilizing?

I'm trying to see what EVs/items Iron Treads needs to withstand a fish Scarf Flamethrower, but this is just useful knowledge to have an exact answer for till those abilities work in the calc.

In the Metagame Discussion thread, there was some discrepancy on how best to apply the X of Ruin abilities to the Showdown calculator until they're implemented. Specifically, when calculating for the Sword and Beads there looked to be confusion on what to multiply the base power of Chien-Pao / Chi-Yu's moves by to most accurately reproduce how much damage they'll do. One user said to multiply the move BP by 1.25x, and another later implied the more correct move BP multiplier is 1.33x. Which of these is more accurate to assess the power of Chien-Pao's and Chi-Yu's moves, or is there an even better way folks are utilizing?

I'm trying to see what EVs/items Iron Treads needs to withstand a fish Scarf Flamethrower, but this is just useful knowledge to have an exact answer for till those abilities work in the calc.
I prefer to test in practice. I take one team with chi(en) vs another with the mon I want to calc (you can battle with yourself, just open an anonymous tab), than I put the stat manually on the calculator.

Sounds painful, but I guess this is the most accurate way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)