Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Maybe unrelated but why do some people take stall and balance together in the same sentence? They seem like very different playstyles to me, yet I see people often writing out stall/balance for some reason

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Maybe unrelated but why do some people take stall and balance together in the same sentence? They seem like very different playstyles to me, yet I see people often writing out stall/balance for some reason
That's a very general question. Anyone could say stall/balance in regard to the subject of their sentence. They have some of the same partners, Glowking, Corv and Melmetal, but there's no specific correlation. You would have to ask the person who said it.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
In addition to the answer above, balance teams can often play as a semi stall teams in which they have defensive pokemons that would be used in a hardcore stall team. You know, with their toxic spam and reliable recovery and whatnot. However, as Milo said, you'd have to ask the guy who said it because that is the only thing that relates the two teamstyles

Any idea when will charizard be available in gen 9 (excluding nat dex) in showdown ? Knowing that we can catch him casually now in Scarlet & Violet

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Any idea when will charizard be available in gen 9 (excluding nat dex) in showdown ? Knowing that we can catch him casually now in Scarlet & Violet
It is now
What's the best EV spread for a focus sash hazard setter Glimmora? I imagine 252 speed but what else?
Max SAtk

@ both, this is the generation 8 subforum, move up to Uncharted Territory for more on SV tiers

just saw the new rules for vgc and now, all official tournaments will have open team lists, are you considering to follow the same direction here ? i'm asking considering that one of the proposition to nerf tera was to make the tera-type open but i don't know if GF solution too show everything isn't also too much

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
just saw the new rules for vgc and now, all official tournaments will have open team lists, are you considering to follow the same direction here ? i'm asking considering that one of the proposition to nerf tera was to make the tera-type open but i don't know if GF solution too show everything isn't also too much
Smogon doesn’t default to VGC rules, but yes revealing Tera types is being considered as a restriction

Hello, I was curious as to why Grookey’s hidden ability is marked as legal in the teambuilder? Is there a legitimate way to get it with the hidden ability already, and if so, how?
yeah, actually. you just have to breed for it or get it as an event pokemon, I believe there's a reward in home where you get all 3 starters with their hidden abilities

Where can I find a history of SS (and SM) OU ban history? I want to get an understanding of SS OU's timeline-i.e. the initial (widely regarded as terrible) OU meta, then when they added more pokemon and it got "better"; all I know in terms of actual dates is when kyurem and a couple other recent were banned but it would be great to get an overview. Thanks!

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Where can I find a history of SS (and SM) OU ban history? I want to get an understanding of SS OU's timeline-i.e. the initial (widely regarded as terrible) OU meta, then when they added more pokemon and it got "better"; all I know in terms of actual dates is when kyurem and a couple other recent were banned but it would be great to get an overview. Thanks!
I dunno about sm ou but here's a video about ss ou history

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not quite sure where to put this, but there was an interesting piece in a reasonably prominent magazine, the Atlantic, on a pokemon playing AI called Athena2023. Although the article was posted today, the extremely eccletic mix of Pokemon and moves referenced suggests that it was either a National Dex or a Sword/Shield matchup, so I'm posting here rather than in one of the SV SQSA threads.

By all means move or delete if I've posted in the wrong place, but figured some might enjoy a mainstream article referencing competitive play on Pokemon showdown.

The article is available HERE. It's paywalled but they give a limited number of free reads each month so it should be accessible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)