Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Hi!

I was wondering if sheer force no longer prevents the recoil damage from life orb. I was playing showdown with sheer force copperajah with LO and he was taking recoil damage.

Also, does anyone have the math on whether heavy metal is better than sheer force? I guess it would be context dependent, but it would be nice to know if anyone had an opinion on this.

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Hi!

I was wondering if sheer force no longer prevents the recoil damage from life orb. I was playing showdown with sheer force copperajah with LO and he was taking recoil damage.

Also, does anyone have the math on whether heavy metal is better than sheer force? I guess it would be context dependent, but it would be nice to know if anyone had an opinion on this.
Sheer Force works the same as far as I’m aware, but it only prevents life orb recoil on moves with secondary effects, Ice Beam or Play Rough for instance. You were probably using a move like Heavy Slam that doesn’t have a secondary effect.

Heavy Metal seems to be more common since it powers up its main two attacking moves, Heavy Slam and Heat Crash. Its moves that do get the Sheer Force boost, like Play Rough or Zen Headbutt, seem to be less common in my experience. Plus, since most OU mons aren’t super heavy, Heavy Slam tends to do more damage than Iron Head with their respective abilities. However, if you have a move like Play Rough or Zen Headbutt, Sheer Force seems usable. Heavy Metal just seems to generally be better.

I still play gen 7 ou. Why is Custap berry "unreleased" from Gen 7?

I used it all throughout US UM and have replays

Last edited:
Anyone have a good set+spread for an alolan ninetales as an aurora veil setter for a set up spam HO team? I've seen a decent amount of varieties in moves chosen on ladder.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Anyone have a good set+spread for an alolan ninetales as an aurora veil setter for a set up spam HO team? I've seen a decent amount of varieties in moves chosen on ladder.
Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis
- Hail

This allows Nineales-Alola to come in multiple times. Due to the high HP Investment. Also Hail is for opposing Weather Setters like Pelipper, Tyranitar and Torkoal/K-Tales. So you can have sommewhat the upperhand when predicted right. Freeze-dry is the only Attacking-Move allowing Ninetales-Alola to cripple some switchins and is helpful against raind-teams.
Hypnosis is for a setup help. It gives a mon on your team to setup more safely infront of another pkmn because you put it to sleep. It also forces switches.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis
- Hail

This allows Nineales-Alola to come in multiple times. Due to the high HP Investment. Also Hail is for opposing Weather Setters like Pelipper, Tyranitar and Torkoal/K-Tales. So you can have sommewhat the upperhand when predicted right. Freeze-dry is the only Attacking-Move allowing Ninetales-Alola to cripple some switchins and is helpful against raind-teams.
Hypnosis is for a setup help. It gives a mon on your team to setup more safely infront of another pkmn because you put it to sleep. It also forces switches.
Thoughts on encore vs hypnosis? Seen both.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Thoughts on encore vs hypnosis? Seen both.
Encore could replace Hypnosis, as it locks other pkmn in their own setup or forces them into their recovery-options like roost, soft-boiled, etc so you can use this opportunity as another way to set up with your own threat. I think Encore is a little more situational than Hypnosis as you have to predict with Encore a little bit more during the game.

This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering, to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was Swagger unbanned???" or "Was Unaware nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help / info check the Orange Islands subforum; Uncharted Territory is for competitive discussion only.

As a reminder because something like this is posted often:
  • In threads discussing the metagame, do not assume any particular Pokémon nor abilities are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be banned, suspected, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon or abilities will be banned. Likewise, don't suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be unbanned.
  • Do NOT talk about dropping Pokemon from Ubers. This is not the place for that. PM a council member if you want more information.
What is the stun chance for paraflinch

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
What is the stun chance for paraflinch
Full para occurs 25% of the time when paralyzed while Iron Head and Air Slash, the most common inducers of flinches, both have a 30% chance to flinch, or 60% when used by Serene Grace Jirachi or Togekiss. I assume you're after the scenario where Jirachi uses Iron Head or Togekiss uses Air Slash on a paralyzed Pokemon, in which the latter has a 70% chance to either flinch or be fully paralyzed (1-(1-60%)*(1-25%)).

Last edited:
Full para occurs 25% of the time when paralyzed while Iron Head and Air Slash, the most common inducers of flinches, both have a 30% chance to flinch, or 60% when used by Serene Grace Jirachi or Togekiss. I assume you're after the scenario where Jirachi uses Iron Head or Togekiss uses Air Slash on a paralyzed Pokemon, in which the latter has a 70% chance to either flinch or be fully paralyzed (1-(1-60%)*(1-25%)).
alright thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)