Resource Simple Questions/Simple Answers: Random Battles Edition

Hello people!

Is there any estimate of the number of players being ranked in Random at any given time?

Here's why: I want to brag about my ranking to my little nephew, but it's less impressive being ranked 100th out of 500 total players than 100th out of, say, 20000.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Is there a place to find "multi" random 2v2 battles? I see replays being uploaded but no related stuff in random chat

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
Is there a place to find "multi" random 2v2 battles? I see replays being uploaded but no related stuff in random chat
These are challenge only. So you need to find people to play with! You can ask on the room chat for those.

I've been having this issue a lot lately where I seem to have three or more mons of the same type on a random battle team and end up losing nine times out of ten because of a type advantage over the majority of my team from one really good sweeper mon eg, zaraoura, xernaus, zacian ect. Can anything be done to fix this?

Irpachuza

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
I've been having this issue a lot lately where I seem to have three or more mons of the same type on a random battle team and end up losing nine times out of ten because of a type advantage over the majority of my team from one really good sweeper mon eg, zaraoura, xernaus, zacian ect. Can anything be done to fix this?
Well, I'm sorry to tell you that the random battle generator doesn't allow more than two Pokémon sharing a type on each team. If you have a replay of a case where this doesn't happen, please share it with us so we can check it. Although let me say that, even if it's true that sometimes we get counterteamed and we have not many answers to certain offensive typings, it's very common that these situations dig deeper on our memory than the rest of the battles, generating a little bias that makes us believe that this happens all the time. So far, as we have checked on the thousands of random battles we have on PS, this isn't actually the case and it's just the bad taste of some difficult battles that surpass the good one that the ones we win leave us. There probably isn't something we can fix, but feel free to come to the room to chat and debate about any of the randomized formats, I'm sure we all can find new resources and strategies to put a fight even on the hardest matchups!

What was the original reason behind not having team preview in generation V onwards? Wouldn't it be more accurate to cart mechanics to have it?

Team preview was introduced in Generation V on cart, so pre-Gen V formats stay true to cart mechanics and don't have it either.
Im asking why the random battles format in gen V onwards also lacks team preview not about why random battles as a whole lacks it

Keeping the lack of team preview makes gen I-IV randbats closer to cart

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Im asking why the random battles format in gen V onwards also lacks team preview not about why random battles as a whole lacks it

Keeping the lack of team preview makes gen I-IV randbats closer to cart
Oh I'm sorry, I just woke up lol.

It's actually to make rands more competitive and higher-skill. Because we as players aren't able to craft a team that has good synergy etc., it's relatively common for the opponent to have a particular win condition against your team that's quite easy to set up. If we have team preview, then the opponent (or we) can immediately identify that, and win/lose games on matchup much more often. As a result, the aspect of information control brought about by not having team preview makes rands a lot more competitive and fun.

IIRC, when Gen V came out rands had team preview and we all decided it was a lot worse.

GeniusFromHoenn

is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Hello.! Something strange just happened to me.
I was in a random monotype match, my terrakion had the attack up doing a sweep, but after killing dracozolt my terrakion stayed in "struggle" despite the fact that they never made me "disabled" and I haven't run out of pp either. .What happened?

the combat: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1544845018-isnhkamyjx7g8ky8lhksy3x8aofvyoypw

View attachment 416522
I think it's the dmax.
You used max knuckle from close combat pp although it's shown seprately you used up 5 cc + 3 max knuckles and as you were choice locked it forced you to struggle.
Hope i helped.

Is there any place for discussion of the Free For All random format? I came across an exploit that I feel should be looked at if possible

RSB

Dreaming of a shore bordering another world
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Is there any place for discussion of the Free For All random format? I came across an exploit that I feel should be looked at if possible
There isn't really any dedicated place to talk about it since its not actively getting any kind of updates and just uses the doubles move pools.

Irpachuza

Random Battle Lead
so there's no place to raise an issue with the format? that's a shame to hear
The answer was "there is no dedicated place", no "there is no place". The "issue" with FFA reports is that the format is not intended to be competitive nor ranked, so it simply uses Random Doubles Battles sets.
If your report is about doubles-only stuff like Follow Me, Coaching, or Ally Switch, then the answer is simply: "we know that the format isn't optimized, but that's something that isn't on our current plans or priorities, as it can't even be ranked because of policy and technical difficulties that go beyond Random Battles' scope". This includes moves failing when aimed to an empty spot, or other doubles hereditary shenanigans like Friend Guard, as they are also known and part of FFA being unoptimized for real competition.
If your report is about people not getting punished for forfeiting mid-battle, teaming up, or taking time to play, that's also beyond our scope, as the format isn't meant to be competitive so none of those are regulated, frowned upon, nor punished. Only people that brag about timer stalling can be reported, as with any other kind of battle.
Now, if your report isn't about any of this stuff, I'm actually curious to see what is it about, since I've only saw reports of those mentioned topics. Feel free to post it here and I'll try my best to clarify what's going on, if it's in my power and knowledge.
If you are unsure of posting, feel free to reach me or another staff member of the Random Battles room on the simulator.

The answer was "there is no dedicated place", no "there is no place". The "issue" with FFA reports is that the format is not intended to be competitive nor ranked, so it simply uses Random Doubles Battles sets.
If your report is about doubles-only stuff like Follow Me, Coaching, or Ally Switch, then the answer is simply: "we know that the format isn't optimized, but that's something that isn't on our current plans or priorities, as it can't even be ranked because of policy and technical difficulties that go beyond Random Battles' scope". This includes moves failing when aimed to an empty spot, or other doubles hereditary shenanigans like Friend Guard, as they are also known and part of FFA being unoptimized for real competition.
If your report is about people not getting punished for forfeiting mid-battle, teaming up, or taking time to play, that's also beyond our scope, as the format isn't meant to be competitive so none of those are regulated, frowned upon, nor punished. Only people that brag about timer stalling can be reported, as with any other kind of battle.
Now, if your report isn't about any of this stuff, I'm actually curious to see what is it about, since I've only saw reports of those mentioned topics. Feel free to post it here and I'll try my best to clarify what's going on, if it's in my power and knowledge.
If you are unsure of posting, feel free to reach me or another staff member of the Random Battles room on the simulator.
my sincerest apologies, I am not new to this site (only new to randbats subforum) and have always tried to follow the rules. I was trying to get confirmation because it wasn't exactly clear and I didn't want to follow through with the actual issue if I was simply missing the right thread or something. This might fall under "teaming up," but I ran into a guy who had managed to get an alt into the same game as me and one other person so it was a 2 vs 1 vs 1 without our knowledge.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1557098651-6xnlltvzgafka0idwp4o3bictb4f5g4pw he admits to it on turn 15 and then quickly shuffles through his remaining team on both accounts. I feel like there should be some punishment to this, but I understand if there isn't. I personally enjoy the FFA format, but this realization that someone can sneak a second account into a game kinda ruins it for me.

Irpachuza

Random Battle Lead
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1557098651-6xnlltvzgafka0idwp4o3bictb4f5g4pw he admits to it on turn 15 and then quickly shuffles through his remaining team on both accounts. I feel like there should be some punishment to this, but I understand if there isn't. I personally enjoy the FFA format, but this realization that someone can sneak a second account into a game kinda ruins it for me.
I mean, although it isn't pretty, it has similar possibilities of actually happening as two friends trying to catch the same battle and team up. I'd say that two real person's doing it could be a worst experience for the other players even. I wouldn't particularly worry about a single stance of any of this happening, but if a user achieves to continuously get two spots on FFAs and purposefully ruins everyone elses experience, may it be by bragging or trolling, you could probably report them, providing the multiple replays.

Tarrembeau

le moi est incommunicable
is a Community Contributor
I would like to suggest a change to a format, where should I go?
Hello, you have four different Format discussions threads in this subforum (the ones with the green banner), one regarding gen8 rands, one old gens rands (from rby to SM), one for gen8 doubles rands, and one for bdsp. You can post in the thread that corresponds to the format you want to suggest a change for. You can also ask in the ps! randbats room, as well. (Assuming you want to discuss random battles, otherwise you have to ask in the different tiers subforum)

I have a question: why in the [Gen 6] Random battles, I once had a team with a florizarre but he could not play mega while I had no other Pokémon capable of mega evolve.

RSB

I have a question: why in the [Gen 6] Random battles, I once had a team with a florizarre but he could not play mega while I had no other Pokémon capable of mega evolve.
Pokemon that are capable of mega evolving have a 50% chance to generate their mega stone so even if you have one that can mega evolve it won't always get its mega form.
I was also wondering if we can have a primo Groudon or a primo Kyogre in [Gen 6]?
They are already in gen 6 rands.

RSB

What is the reason that a LC random battle format doesn't exist?
The way rands are currently coded bring up a few problems with trying to make a LC format using the same methods. Pokemon wouldnt work out with 84 evs in everything, certain pokemon would have to be hard coded to get certain choice items or berry juice over eviolite regardless of moveset, and there would be no level balancing because even a single extra level would mean massive damage roll differences at that level. If we were to just make everything level 5 and give them specific sets with evs and such, we would simply be better off just taking the LC format out of battle factory and making that its own tier which we aren't planning on doing.

The way rands are currently coded bring up a few problems with trying to make a LC format using the same methods. Pokemon wouldnt work out with 84 evs in everything, certain pokemon would have to be hard coded to get certain choice items or berry juice over eviolite regardless of moveset, and there would be no level balancing because even a single extra level would mean massive damage roll differences at that level. If we were to just make everything level 5 and give them specific sets with evs and such, we would simply be better off just taking the LC format out of battle factory and making that its own tier which we aren't planning on doing.
I mean, you can solve the tiering balancing by evs allowance perhaps. Yes it would require manual EVing, but like it should serve the same purpose as level balancing in the "big boy" random battle tiers. Another option would be randomize it such that it's so many of each tier rather than purely random. All I'm saying is that there definitely should be ways to resolve this and I think a LC random battle would be helpful for introducing people to the tier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)