Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers: OM Edition

I was wondering regarding the line between OMs and Pet Mods, although I think it'd probably end up being the latter. I was spitballing a concept for a metagame where the core change is that the type chart is modified. It's arbitrary; two types are combined, a new type is introduced, and a handful of type matchups are adjusted, ex. Bug and Poison having a mutual weakness like in RBY.

While I think you could potentially handwave that as being singular enough to be considered OM territory, the considerations that would have to be done would be similar in scale to the Fairy bump in Gen 6, and thus be considered a Pet Mod. Existing Pokemon would have their types changed, a handful of moves would get the same treatment, possibly a handful of new moves added, etc.
I'll do my best.

Ideally you should be able to explain an OM with one sentence, that being the one mechanic change or rule of the om. See for example the currently existing om.
Metagamiate: Every Pokémon gains an intrinsic -ate ability matching its primary type, or its secondary type if shiny.
Stabmons: Pokémon can use any move of their typing, in addition to the moves they can normally learn.
Mix and Mega: Mega Stones and Primal Orbs can be used on almost any fully evolved Pokémon with no Mega Evolution limit.

If you just say "The type chart is modified" to someone they obviously don't have enough information. Your meta's rule is not a consistent rule but rather a set of arbitrary changes. So it's a pet mod.

I need help making a team surrounded by Heliolisk. Any recommendations? Should I play Heliolisk in doubles or singles? Who should I use him with?

So far this is all I have for my Heliolisk.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
- Electroweb
- Dragon Pulse
- Signal Beam
- Hyper Voice

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I need help making a team surrounded by Heliolisk. Any recommendations? Should I play Heliolisk in doubles or singles? Who should I use him with?

So far this is all I have for my Heliolisk.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
- Electroweb
- Dragon Pulse
- Signal Beam
- Hyper Voice
This isn't the place to ask for teambuilding help. Try asking the NU Forum, they have a Team Bazaar and a post NUPL team dump that may have what you're looking for. Be sure to read their rules and guidelines, though, and PM a moderator before making a thread.

Hi,
I saw this post in the 1v1 metagame discussion
[...]Also I see this misunderstanding with Chansey all the time, the combination of chansey’s moves is not banned because we banned it. It is banned because it is impossible to get those moves on a chansey without hacking in the games. Idk why it’s listed under bans but it’s nit because we complex banned it.
[...]
and it made me wonder if this is true. In all 1v1 threads I cannot find anything to suggest that this is a complex ban, which would make this statement true. However, in the teambuilder it says
Teambuilder said:
Chansey has the combination of Chansey + Charm + Seismic Toss, which is banned.
which would suggest that it is a complex ban and not an illegality. Moreover, the Teambuilder allows precisely the same set in OU.

So my question is: which is it? Is Chansey + Charm + Seismic Toss a complex ban in 1v1 or is it an illegality and should it not be legal in OU while it is?

Hi,
I saw this post in the 1v1 metagame discussion

and it made me wonder if this is true. In all 1v1 threads I cannot find anything to suggest that this is a complex ban, which would make this statement true. However, in the teambuilder it says

which would suggest that it is a complex ban and not an illegality. Moreover, the Teambuilder allows precisely the same set in OU.

So my question is: which is it? Is Chansey + Charm + Seismic Toss a complex ban in 1v1 or is it an illegality and should it not be legal in OU while it is?
Its an illegality that should not be legal in ou, but no one there is glyx cares enough to go through all the edge cases; it was a relevant set in 1v1 that shouldnt be allowed, so it was banned, but it’s not relevant in ou.

Last edited:
I had an idea for a metagame based on the idea of eliminating random/hax elements to the game, and a few people said they'd be interested if it was implemented, but on this post, it appears the idea has already been rejected:

imas said:
  • Consistency Mons: "Hax Mechanics" are changed to become formulated, rather than random.
I wanted to see the original idea for this that got rejected (I couldn't find it via search) to see why it got rejected and if my idea could make sense or be a more viable OM idea. My idea was to make secondary effects, misses, crits, etc. still in the game, but happen at consistent intervals that approach the expected value of the event occurring.

(I don't want to make this sound too much like an OM submission because this isn't the thread for that lol, but here's a further explanation/justification of my idea below in case it's needed.)

For RNG elements, outcomes always approach their expected value. This encompasses moves that miss, secondary effects, and random status conditions. RNG elements that have a discrete set of outcomes (damage rolls, number of turns asleep, multi-hit moves, etc.) will always be consistent at the median number.

For example, the first Focus Blast would always HIT because hitting 1/1 Focus Blasts (100% hit rate) is closer to the true accuracy of Focus Blast (70% hit rate) than missing Focus Blast would be (0% hit rate). The second Focus Blast would always MISS because hitting 1/2 (50%) is closer to the true accuracy (70%) than hitting 2/2 (100%). The third Focus Blast would always HIT because 2/3 (~67%) is closer to 70% than ~33% is. And so on.

I think this would be an interesting addition because it makes moves like Focus Blast more consistent and even opens the doors for less used moves (like Zap Cannon and Dynamic Punch), and plus, I'm sure we've all been curious about how the game would be without RNG elements in place.

So I'm pretty new to OMs in general, but I submitted an OM idea last Friday and as far as I'm aware nobody has viewed it since Saturday. What is the average time for the submission process? Am I just paranoid?! Just because my OM has stopped being viewed doesn't mean it was rejected right?

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
So I'm pretty new to OMs in general, but I submitted an OM idea last Friday and as far as I'm aware nobody has viewed it since Saturday. What is the average time for the submission process? Am I just paranoid?! Just because my OM has stopped being viewed doesn't mean it was rejected right?
We're slower than we should be. Don't worry, a metagame isn't rejected until that's been explicitly said.

Usually because either:
1. The idea is on that "don't pitch" list.
2. The idea is already taken.
3. You havent reached the requirements, which is have 20 posts in this forum.
Wait... what?! Is having 20 posts really a requirement? Coz this is my second account that I made specifically for OMs, and I don't have twenty posts yet... is that a barrier to my submission?
Edit: sorry for quoting such an old post but is this really a thing?!

where do you go to report a bug? benjamin butterfree has an hp glitch.
Turn 32 - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7benjaminbutterfree-785696079

252+ Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Happiny: 415-490 (58.9 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Happiny: 415-490 (102.7 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
First calc is Happiny with Blissey's HP stat.

Volcanionisgood told me his hoopa-unbound was banded adamant max atk. Also, that his squirtle and gible had weird hp stats in battle.

Hello TI,

Some questions regarding permanent ladders for you and whomever else may make decisions on that.

1. In the existing OM portfolio, do you feel there are categories of OM that are unrepresented on the ladder? E.g. stat based, type based. If so, are there any candidates you would consider?

2. Do you think there is any kind of category or mechanic lacking representation at all, say, Z-move based or detail-based (level, gender, happiness, etc)?

3. What is your take on apparent "flash in the pan" metas...those that see lots of ladder activity during omotm, but then are relatively dormant out of rotation. For example, inheritance, nature swap, godly gift, metagamiate, etc... MnM was a clear exception here.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I have a meta submited in OM Submissions. After a week or so, there were no responses so I bumped it (Which resulted in a few responses for suggestions on it), but no say of wether it was rejected or not. About a month has passed since these two replies, am I allowed to bumb the thread a second time?

Hello TI,

Some questions regarding permanent ladders for you and whomever else may make decisions on that.

1. In the existing OM portfolio, do you feel there are categories of OM that are unrepresented on the ladder? E.g. stat based, type based. If so, are there any candidates you would consider?

2. Do you think there is any kind of category or mechanic lacking representation at all, say, Z-move based or detail-based (level, gender, happiness, etc)?

3. What is your take on apparent "flash in the pan" metas...those that see lots of ladder activity during omotm, but then are relatively dormant out of rotation. For example, inheritance, nature swap, godly gift, metagamiate, etc... MnM was a clear exception here.
Late but I guess I'll respond.

1. Off course type and stat based aren't represented at the moment. They were tried at some point, Tier Shift was a thing, and Camomons more recently. There just wasn't demand for it.

2. In OMs? I think most of the stuff is covered. We rarely accept stuff to do with elements that are not relevant to competitive play, like colors.

3. I think they are fine like that. We have a lot of OMs, and OMotM + Leader's Choice will give everything a chance to have a ladder. And the more popular ones will get OMotM more frequently. The rotational system is a decent way to test if they will succeed long term, instead of jumping directly from OMotM to permanent ladder.

Guys, I’m not getting alerts for replies from the 1v1 thread, even though it’s on my watch list. I didn’t hear about getting reqs OR the Snorlax ban, even though I’ve watched the thread and are reading whenever I get an alert. Does anyone know what’s happeneing?

Guys, I’m not getting alerts for replies from the 1v1 thread, even though it’s on my watch list. I didn’t hear about getting reqs OR the Snorlax ban, even though I’ve watched the thread and are reading whenever I get an alert. Does anyone know what’s happeneing?
if you dont say anything in a thread for a while, it will stop giving you notifications. posting in the thread will make you get more notifications again.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Not sure if this has been asked before in another thread (it didn't pop up in the search), but is there a reason there's no AG Doubles?

It's mainly because I've wanted to try out a Curse Octillery Set, but it's actually illegal in Battle Spot Doubles, VGC and Standard Smogon Play. Why? Well...
It's from Gen 2 (Thus banned in VGC and Battle Spot) and is locked to Moody:mad:.

So back to the question, well...is the reason it's not around because of a lack of players, or something? Has it ever ran as an OM of the Month or anything?

Not sure if this has been asked before in another thread (it didn't pop up in the search), but is there a reason there's no AG Doubles?

It's mainly because I've wanted to try out a Curse Octillery Set, but it's actually illegal in Battle Spot Doubles, VGC and Standard Smogon Play. Why? Well...
It's from Gen 2 (Thus banned in VGC and Battle Spot) and is locked to Moody:mad:.

So back to the question, well...is the reason it's not around because of a lack of players, or something? Has it ever ran as an OM of the Month or anything?
AG Doubles is currently part of OM Mashups. Much like Doubles versions of other OMs, AG Doubles lacks demand to be its own entity.

I also think that AG goes beyond OM, and if the Doubles section hasn’t created it it’s because there isn’t a need or demand for it.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
AG Doubles is currently part of OM Mashups. Much like Doubles versions of other OMs, AG Doubles lacks demand to be its own entity.

I also think that AG goes beyond OM, and if the Doubles section hasn’t created it it’s because there isn’t a need or demand for it.
Thanks for the quick answer! Hope to see it come up in a rotation or something, then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)