Multi Gen Simple Questions, Simple Answers Mk. II (Read Before Making a Thread)

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As it says in the title, please make sure to read this before posting a thread in the subforum. If you have a question that can be answered in one post, please ask it here. Threads are intended for discussion and those kinds of questions rarely lead to meaningful conversation.

When posting in the thread, please follow these guidelines:
  1. Make sure that your post is relevant to Ubers.
  2. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  3. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  4. At least do a simple Google search before asking the question here.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
  6. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands, specifically in this thread.
  7. If you're new to Smogon and looking for help getting acquainted, check out the Mentorship Forum.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will [insert Pokemon here] / [insert Move here] / [insert Item here] be banned?

It will not.

Why is Mega Rayquaza banned?
You can read about it here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rules-general-information-and-helpful-links.3536522/

Can I ask a question about any generation of Ubers here?

Yes. Make sure you specify which Gen you're referring to.

I haven't played ORAS Ubers for a long time so forgive me if I missed something. Why don't Mega Mawile run Foul Play in Ubers? This move allows it to 2HKO Primal Groudon (unless it is a defensive set).Yes, it gets forced out after hitting the FP once but after that hit, Primal Groudon will be in 2HKO range from its STAB + Sucker Punch, especially with Stealth Rock and PG having no reliable recovery.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
sucker punch, iron head and play rough are mandatory. the last slot is used for utility, such as swords dance (for trick room teams) and baton pass, both of which serve purposes better than foul play. foul play doesn't do much for mawile other than smack groudon a bit, and SD/BP offer much more opportunity.

why wouldn't you want to hit the most popular pokemon in the metagame for solid damage when it completely shits on you otherwise? Sounds a whole let better than those utillity moves.....

Last edited by a moderator:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
ye Foul Play does 32.9 - 38.8% to 252 hp/ 56+ def primadon, while Baton Pass allows Kyogre to come in on don and bring rain, which could be very valuable but depends on teams etc. SD should only ever be used on TR teams. Sucker allows it to revenge Mewtwo which is valuable as well. I dont think i conclude anything with this but just put forward what each does.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
Melee Mewtwo it doesn't even 2hko the "standard" 252 hp pdon set, and it hits nothing BUT PDon. i don't see how devoting a moveslot that could be much better used to generate momentum should be used to deal 40% damage to one mon and nothing else.. i mean, xerneas i guess???? but then again if you're playing someone whose only xern check is pdon you shouldn't need foul play to win.

tl;dr i simply don't see how foul play does anything better than baton pass does.

Two things:

1) Why doesn't that general info thread have the calculations for Mega Ray's banning? The section about Mega Rayquaza is just a list of banning criteria in general and only one paragraph (the last one) is relevant to Mega Rayquaza at all. A pedantic point, I know.

2) Why is Roost used over Recover on Lugia?

Silly question, but what makes Calm Mind Lugia so bad? The main downside seems to be that it dies to Toxic, but this is an endemic flaw of both CM users in general and basically every Lugia set I've come across. Is there some other reson why one with two attacks (I get that mono-attacker with a 5PP move is too easily stalled out) isn't decent by virtue of its sheer bulk? STAB Psyshock and Mutiscale would in theory make it almost unbeatable in CM wars, and I swear there was an offensive Lugia set in the analyses at some point that suggested that that was the best use of Multiscale.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
Silly question, but what makes Calm Mind Lugia so bad? The main downside seems to be that it dies to Toxic, but this is an endemic flaw of both CM users in general and basically every Lugia set I've come across. Is there some other reson why one with two attacks (I get that mono-attacker with a 5PP move is too easily stalled out) isn't decent by virtue of its sheer bulk? STAB Psyshock and Mutiscale would in theory make it almost unbeatable in CM wars, and I swear there was an offensive Lugia set in the analyses at some point that suggested that that was the best use of Multiscale.
It's simply a waste of its superior other options (Reflect, phazing) that offer more to the teams you'd typically see a Lugia on.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Calm Mind Lugia is unbelievably weak for ubers standards (base 90 SPA is lower than greninja with torrent, and offensive greninja is bad even with protean and life orb), and generally has either only very weak non stab attacks to use (ice beam), a low pp stab move (aeroblast), or a bad offensive type stab to use (psychic). In a tier where everything is bulky, Aeroblast, even at +6, wont ohko much unless you are heavily invested in SPA, in which case you lose bulk, which is lugia's best aspect. This means it will never sweep, and this is assuming it manages to get to +6 despite toxic, phazing and general dark type mons which beat cm lugia.

EDIT: Alongside this, it's outclassed by things like the latis and various arceus forms, which have other niches as well as being a CM sweeper, and some CM arceus forms can afford to use refresh to make them very difficult to take down for slower, stallier teams.

I read that Primal Groudon has started running Dragon Pulse specifically for Mega Salamence. Why not run HP Ice instead since it hits Mence harder and Ice is an overall superior offensive type? What else does Dragon Pulse hit that Primal Groudon can't hit harder with its other attacks?

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Because that particular set is a sweeper, the other two moves it runs that hit things are fire blast and precipice blades, which are both 85% accuracy, so it's nice to have a move that is 100% accurate and decently powerful enough to clean teams that have been weakened. Dragon pulse hits neutral targets and general dragons harder than HP ice does, unless said dragon is 4x weak to ice.

If you've really gotta run Mega Gengar in this meta, your best bet is Perish Song / Substitute / Protect / Destiny Bond OR Substitute / Hypnosis / Destiny Bond / Filler, if you're luckE.
disagree, dbond/protect/sludge wave focus blast or shadow ball is just as good if not better sometimes. it's used on different teams, but saying that that is the only viable set is not true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)