Rules Simple Questions, Simple Answers / Little Cup Information / Forum Rules

How come Shell Smash on Sinistea isn't legal? According to Serebii it learns the move via level up, same as Polteageist. Is it because it learns the move past the level 5 cap? If so, why do pokemon like Cutiefly get to use QD despite learning it around the same level that Sinistea learns SS?

How come Shell Smash on Sinistea isn't legal? According to Serebii it learns the move via level up, same as Polteageist. Is it because it learns the move past the level 5 cap? If so, why do pokemon like Cutiefly get to use QD despite learning it around the same level that Sinistea learns SS?
It's likely because Sinistea is genderless and the move relearner got nerfed from last gen (you can no longer learn 'future' level-up moves), so male-only and genderless Pokemon got screwed over.

Is Meltan going to be little cup legal when it comes out? The rules say "The Pokemon must be able to evolve, but be in the lowest stage of evolution." Pokemon.com lists it as evolving into Melmetal, like it can in pokemon go, but it can't be achieved in-game in SwSh and it can't use eviolite either. Would that make Meltan eligable or not?

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Is Meltan going to be little cup legal when it comes out? The rules say "The Pokemon must be able to evolve, but be in the lowest stage of evolution." Pokemon.com lists it as evolving into Melmetal, like it can in pokemon go, but it can't be achieved in-game in SwSh and it can't use eviolite either. Would that make Meltan eligable or not?
We're going to wait until it actually releases, but if it's available at level 5, can evolve by normal means, and still is the lowest stage, it will be legal!

pls someone explain to me how i can get a move from a level above 5 on a lvl 5 mon. Move tutors aren't helping me remember moves from higher levels in Sword/Shield.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
pls someone explain to me how i can get a move from a level above 5 on a lvl 5 mon. Move tutors aren't helping me remember moves from higher levels in Sword/Shield.
The way you had to prior to gen 7, breed two parents who both know the level up move and the child should hatch with said move.

The way you had to prior to gen 7, breed two parents who both know the level up move and the child should hatch with said move.
is there any way to apply them to already existing mons? I have bred everything already :( Also, once I do breed the mon with the right moves, will then breeding it with a ditto preserve those moves again?

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
is there any way to apply them to already existing mons? I have bred everything already :( Also, once I do breed the mon with the right moves, will then breeding it with a ditto preserve those moves again?
I believe the Gen 8 egg move transfer mechanics don't apply to bred on level up moves sorry :/

Ditto breeding definitely doesn't pass down level up moves, both parents need to know the move. It's why genderless and male-only Pokemon can't legally have most of their level up moves at level 5.

Ditto breeding definitely doesn't pass down level up moves, both parents need to know the move. It's why genderless and male-only Pokemon can't legally have most of their level up moves at level 5.
I mean, there is the Pomeg Glitch in Emerald to help with that. But without the ability to transfer from previous generations yet, this is not a thing we have access to right now.

Why is Oddish higher on the Viability Rankings right now than Vulpix? Is this an error, or has some sort of bulky Strength Sap set on Oddish as a poor man's Foongus been in use lately?

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Why is Oddish higher on the Viability Rankings right now than Vulpix? Is this an error, or has some sort of bulky Strength Sap set on Oddish as a poor man's Foongus been in use lately?
Bulky Oddish is used as much or more than sun Oddish - it is partially a poor man's Foongus, but Strength Sap makes it superb at dealing with most physical threats in the tier, especially boosters like Munchlax and Timburr.

In all seriousness, what do the council members think of legalizing Galarian Slowpoke? It clearly CAN evolve, we just can’t obtain its evolution items yet. We know it’s coded this way due to its ability to use the Eviolite.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Now that Galarian Slowpoke is banned, can we ban male Combee and male Salandit?
Aren't these different scenarios? Galarian Slowpoke doesn't have an evolution coded into the game at all for the time being, while male Combee and Salandit do have evolutions but they just can't attain them.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Can Eject Pack Vulpix escape from Trapinch's Arena Trap by using Overheat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)