Rules Simple Questions, Simple Answers / Little Cup Information / Forum Rules

Not sure if this is the right place for this. But is there going to be a separate Smogon LC Tier for BDSP? I think it could be an interesting contrast to Gen IV LC because of newer items, hidden abilities and fairy type existing.

Hello! I’m Maggo on discord and xragdolliox on Showdown! I have a question, I’m confused on how to join Little Cup? Is it like getting involved in LC or is there another way? Another question, Is LC a Tier available for the upcoming events? (Smogon Premiere league XIII.)

I’m more than happy to talk about my questions. Thank you!

Hello! I’m Maggo on discord and xragdolliox on Showdown! I have a question, I’m confused on how to join Little Cup? Is it like getting involved in LC or is there another way? Another question, Is LC a Tier available for the upcoming events? (Smogon Premiere league XIII.)

I’m more than happy to talk about my questions. Thank you!
It’s like getting involved in LC.

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
Not sure if this is the right place for this. But is there going to be a separate Smogon LC Tier for BDSP? I think it could be an interesting contrast to Gen IV LC because of newer items, hidden abilities and fairy type existing.
There will be one and it's coming soon. megatyler30 has big plans, so if you want more info contacy him :)

Aduro Fille
I have no clue if there's a plan to make BDSP LC a challengable/ladder format or not. But I will be hosting a BDSP LC tour in the BDSP subforum. At this point I'm aiming for Jan 2nd signups. Fiend has stated he should be able to decide on an initial banlist by then.

Hey hey guys! Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figured it would be most appropriate to ask here. What are the best LC hidden gems? I always end up using the same few commonly used Pokémon on each team and want to try something new.

Hey hey guys! Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figured it would be most appropriate to ask here. What are the best LC hidden gems? I always end up using the same few commonly used Pokémon on each team and want to try something new.
Sinistea :sinistea:
Tyrunt :tyrunt:

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
What makes trapping abilities (Arena Trap & Shadow Tag to be exact) more balanced in LC compared to other tiers?

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What makes trapping abilities (Arena Trap & Shadow Tag to be exact) more balanced in LC compared to other tiers?
All of the Pokémon that use trapping abilities in LC have significant weaknesses that make them balanced. Diglett is extremely frail, Trapinch is extremely slow, and Wynaut can be played around with pivoting or status moves. Note that Gothita is banned over Shadow Tag because, in LC, it has shown to be the only consistently banworthy trapper.

stick around in LC!

Éric

mons is mons
is a Pre-Contributor
Its moreso the fact that due to the offensive nature of the tier (because of it being level 5), trapping a pokemon is usually a lot more punishable than in level 100 tiers, so the opportunity cost is bigger

LilyAC

encore encore encore
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What is the ruling around the ev spread in little cup?
because the pokemon are so low level, you need to use a lot of EVs to increase a stat by just 1 point.

for example, mienfoo's defense starts at 11. to increase its defense by 1 point, you first need to invest 36 EVs. then after that you need to invest an extra 80 EVs to add another point, and then 80 again to add another point. which makes it 196 EVs for max defense (14)

the first investment varies depending on the base stat (e.g. although it is 36 for mienfoo's defense, you need 76 for mienfoo's speed).
but once you've made that initial investment, it will always be an extra 80 EVs to increase the stat from there.

this explains why a lot of lc pokemon have leftover EVs - they aren't enough to increase a stat so they are useless.

there's an ancient article here that explains it more in-depth: https://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/lc_ev_spreads

if you're making your own EV spreads, the easiest way is to make sure your pokemon is set to level 5 and then use the EV sliders in the teambuilder. it will automatically snap to the appropriate numbers, so you can mess around until you find a combination of EVs that looks good. (but the best option is usually just to steal a spread from the smogon analyses)

Dead by Daylight

16 colors, I’m so lonely
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey, so I just started in LC, and I was wondering if Sandshrew-Alola (and Hail as a whole) was viable. After all, many defensive staples such as Mienfoo and Koffing struggle against Triple Axel/Iron Head/Earthquake. Here are some calcs:

236+ Atk Sandshrew-Alola Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 12-18 (57.1 - 85.7%) -- approx. 2HKO after hail damage (Sandshrew-Alola outspeeds under Hail and can kill on a switch)

236+ Atk Sandshrew-Alola Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Koffing: 12-18 (57.1 - 85.7%) -- approx. 2HKO after hail damage (same thing with Mienfoo)

-------------------------------------------

Bella

not a furry
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
On the topic of weather, is manual rain teams viable? Theres alot of potent sweepers that could be used and theres a TON of setters available.

On the topic of weather, is manual rain teams viable? Theres alot of potent sweepers that could be used and theres a TON of setters available.
not particularly lol. rain sweepers are weak and not particularly easy to get in after setting up rain; their weaknesses are compounded when considering that every rain structure is incredibly weak to grookey and/or uses a sweeper walled by the actual number one pokemon by usage in little cup (anorith, mienfoo respectively)

sun is the most viable weather in lc, and hail is fringe viable. sand is not viable due to running into many of the same issues as rain despite having a faster way of setting weather. hope this helped !

Where do I go to discuss team-building and team suggestions for LC? I'm pretty new to this format so I want to ask more experienced players how to fix some of the flaws on my current team.

Kodiak_45

LCPL Champion
Hey can someone link me the place where i can show the replays of battles of this lc open?
Thanks and sorry for the disturbance
You want to go to https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/
After the game is over, you want to click upload replay button. Then go to replays and enter the Showdown username you played the game with and you should find the replay there. Also before you upload the replay, if you want to keep the replay private because you are testing a team or something, type "/hidereplay" in chat to make the replay private. This means only you, your opponent, or someone with the link to that specific replay can access it. From here you can access the hidden replay by entering your Showdown username into replays and clicking on the private tab.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey can someone link me the place where i can show the replays of battles of this lc open?
Thanks and sorry for the disturbance
You want to go to https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/
After the game is over, you want to click upload replay button. Then go to replays and enter the Showdown username you played the game with and you should find the replay there. Also before you upload the replay, if you want to keep the replay private because you are testing a team or something, type "/hidereplay" in chat to make the replay private. This means only you, your opponent, or someone with the link to that specific replay can access it. From here you can access the hidden replay by entering your Showdown username into replays and clicking on the private tab.
In addition, once the tournament gets into the later rounds and begins requiring replays, you'll be able to go to people's win or loss posts to find their replays. For the LC Open, there is no dedicated replay thread like there is for tournaments like SPL!

stick around in LC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)