Rules Simple Questions, Simple Answers / Little Cup Information / Forum Rules

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hi let me explain more fully.

Genderless (and male-only Pokemon like Rufflet!) are normally restricted from their level up movesets beyond level 5 since they require a Ditto as a parent, the only LC relevant exception being Nidoran-M since it's got Nidoran-F as a viable parent. There are two ways around this, first is the Pomeg glitch which has been mentioned already though the only relevant part for LC is in gen 3 - the gen 4 version doesn't work the same way and so isn't useful. This means that Gen 1-3 Pokemon are able to access level up moves in their Gen 3 learnset. As such, these moves were previously incompatible with a variety of things only introduced in later generations, such as second abilities (prior to the Ability Capsule) and Hidden Abilities (prior to the SS DLC2 item).

The second way is that the Gen 7 move relearner was buffed to allow Pokemon to "relearn" future level up moves. Functionally speaking this solved level up moves for every gen 1-7 male-only/genderless Pokemon with maybe some exceptions where they lost a move prior to gen 7 that I can't think of. The move relearner was renerfed in gen 8 and so genderless/male-only Pokemon do not have access to their gen 8 level up movepool.

tl;dr move relearner in gen 7 lets genderless and male-only Pokemon have access to level up moves, gen 8 Pokemon like sinistea don't have access to it

Hey all! Because it seems like Sticky Webs is gonna get banned, my Cubone needs a new archetype to call home. Are there any mons that are good supports to Cubone's style?

Hello everyone, I have a question about the breeding mechanics, precisely about move learning.

In USUM we had the NPC to remember or learn leveling moves the Pokemon should learn far from the level 5, but since it does not work in SS how can we get these specifics moves on a Pokemon? I tried to place my lv1 Oddish with another having Sleep powder at the nursery, but they only share egg moves...
Am I ready to completely restart the breeds?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hello everyone, I have a question about the breeding mechanics, precisely about move learning.

In USUM we had the NPC to remember or learn leveling moves the Pokemon should learn far from the level 5, but since it does not work in SS how can we get these specifics moves on a Pokemon? I tried to place my lv1 Oddish with another having Sleep powder at the nursery, but they only share egg moves...
Am I ready to completely restart the breeds?
Pokemon can hatch with level up moves if both parents know the move. Unlike Egg moves, these can't be shared using the gen 8 mechanic.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why is Scorbunny not used much?
It's far from the worst Pokemon legal in LC, but there really just are not enough reasons to use it. It has middling stats outside of hitting 17 Speed which is good enough but only that. However, its strongest attack is High Jump Kick, which makes it act as an awkward Fighting-type more than an Fire-type where it might fair better. And it fails to have excellent coverage (Gunk Shot, Blaze Kick, and Acrobatics don't do much) which might have differentiated it meaningfully from other similar options. One such option is Mienfoo which can boost High Jump Kick damage with Reckless largely nullifying the need of coverage. In terms of damage capabilities, Scorbunny gets left behind. STAB Sucker Punch is also interesting and useful, but it does come on a Scorbunny which is weak to Stealth Rock which limits the utility of this. If Scorbunny hit harder or otherwise could do a little bit more, it could be an interesting part of the metagame. Scorbunny does find some use in LC UU where its qualities are more in-line with the other Pokemon.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
stall is viable in lc ? (current or old gen of course)
because of how stats and damage calculations scale at level 5, LC Pokemon are much, much less bulky than their level 100 counterparts. full-stall is pretty much unviable in LC for that reason.

however, because everything is so frail, even the most defensive Pokemon like Munchlax and Spritzee can still maintain an offensive presence. this is why bulky, balanced offense is a consistently good playstyle in LC.

hope that answered your question, stick around in LC!

Hi all, so uh, i forgot my old account but im back! kinda, i dunno uni is kinda nuts but not as bad as highschool was when i quit, last time i played comp Trappinch was banned, what is the meta like nowadays? any major changes or new fun toys that have appeared?

Is Honedge at least decent, or is he just pretty bad? I don't see him mentioned in anything i've read about gen 8 LC, which is quite a lot.

I started to play little cup and i having so much fun with it. I decided to research here wanting to understand better that tier.
I noticed something curious to me...
I started to play at competitive (casually, lol) in Gen 4. Past then Wobbuffet and even Wynault was banned to ubers because shadow tag.
Now, i see that wynault with shadow tag can be used at LC and it isnt even a good choice.

Why? What makes wynault to be open and a bad choice in LC tier nowadays?

I started to play little cup and i having so much fun with it. I decided to research here wanting to understand better that tier.
I started to play at competitive (casually, lol) in Gen 4. Past then Wobbuffet and even Wynault was banned to ubers because shadow tag.
Now, i see that wynault with shadow tag can be used at LC and it isnt even a good choice.

Part of it may be the reduced bulk making it completely possible to just OHKO wynaut, which kind of ruins its countercoat strats

Reactions: NaK

Like my man Nish said it is sadly not like it was before. It was super great in Gen 4 but is now a niche pick. Don't get me wrong if you can predict and get the knockout, awesome! Yet with that it is more niche in this tier, sorry :( Think of it as all the other pokemon that started in their debut generation as nothing more as uber, some have dropped down to terrible levels of big sad.

Hey all! Because it seems like Sticky Webs is gonna get banned, my Cubone needs a new archetype to call home. Are there any mons that are good supports to Cubone's style?
For LC my man, I dunno. It really does depend on what you are using him for, in which I'm guessing for all out attacking and if that's the case I would use other hazards to dwindle pokemon then when they're weakened you can equip a choice scarf on that bad boy and most likely sweep. Tanks+hazards+speed.

One thing I'm curious about is why Koffing got a major boost in viability this gen compared to previous ones like Gen 7 (where its C-tier alongside stuff like Venipede) or Gen 6. Neutralizing Gas is a great ability, yeah, but what else has helped the Smogon mascot become a staple defensive mon this gen?

Neutralizing Gas is a great ability, yeah, but what else has helped the Smogon mascot become a staple defensive mon this gen?
pretty much this. blocking and slowly chipping down regenerator mons (foo, mare, foongus) is extremely useful and poison is just a good defensive typing in lc for stuff like grookey. also makes it immune to trapping unlike, say, trubbish. pre neutralizing gas it just didn't do much defensively or offensively that other poisons couldn't do better so it sucked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)