Sigilyph

^ It's bad enough that you didn't see an extremely similar set posted earlier on this page, but that you also didn't see someone pointing out to another person who didn't see it either is just hopeless.

I've used the Psycho Shift Flame Orb set on my Rain team. The reason it's there is that I otherwise have no possible way to get rid of Ttar, who at the moment is VERY common.

breh

強いだね
I was looking at its movepool, and I noticed something that caught my eye.. Miracle Eye that is (pun was not intended at first).

Assist Power/Cosmic Power/Roost/Miracle Eye?

will test once i'm not too lazy

I'm really excited about Shinboraa, and will definitely be looking to use it as a supporter. My only real beef with it is that it's pretty much usurped Xatu, a long time favorite of mine.
I felt the same way until I realized Xatu got Magical (Magic?) Mirror, one of only two this gen (the other being Espeon). Since Espy is more than likely going to OU/BL thanks to this fact, it means Xatu has gained a niche in the lower tiers as a very effective anti-lead.

I would say that this set would be more effective:

Shinboora @ life orb
Magic guard
Modest
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 SpA/ 4 Spe
Assist power
Cosmic power*
Roost
Air Slash/ Hidden power (fighting)

Cosmic power boosts it's defences so it has some good wall options and then assist power + life orb is just ridiculous
I think I might go straight defensive on the EVs and nature, but I like this idea. Weathering the storm in the first couple turns is the difficult part. 72/80/80 isn't particularly sturdy and with five weakness, you could go down long before you get a decent amount of CPs in. This could actually be pretty amazing with Tinted Lens, even though you're losing Life Orb (Lefties would probably be better on a CP set anyhow), Assist Power can only be x2 resisted at most. Since CP isn't boosting your Special Attack, maybe throw Miracle Eye in to take down Dark types with Assist Power? Air Slash is still completely viable though.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I decided to try this thing out on a Sandstorm team and it's really good. Seriously, I think more people need to use this thing, because it's incredibly underrated.

I used the Cosmic Power/Assist Power set, and it's honestly able to rape a lot of teams while taking a hell of a beating at the same time. I use LO 252 HP/252 SpA Modest as my spread. I'm still deciding on the 4th slot since I never really use it. I had Toxic there, but I basically never used it, and I never used HP Fighting either. I'm thinking of trying out Miracle Eye though. lol another funny idea is to put Charge Beam in the last slot for coverage and to get even more boosts for Assist Power while making it even more powerful with Special Attack boosts and base power boost.

Assist Power can go up to 260 BP on this set, and coming off of 435 SpA, even Evolution Stone Chansey is 2HKOed after 6 Cosmic Powers, while there's literally nothing Chansey can do about it.

Getting the Cosmic Powers up is surprisingly easy, especially since there's so many Stall teams that Shinboraa can basically destroy. Even against offensive teams, you can easily get a Cosmic Power up against Ground and Fighting attacks.

The only real problems I've faced so far are Darkrai and Critical Hits. Mainly Critical Hits. Shinboraa seems to be an incredible Critical Hit magnet, which is really, really annoying. If it weren't for that, so many more teams would've gotten swept.

Without home PC connected as of yet, I've never tried out actual WiFi battling, but on some video site (I think YouTube) there is a video somewhere where Shinpora sweeps 5 Pokemon in a team using the Cosmic Power/Life Orb/Assist Power strategy. I agree, Shinpora is epically underrated. 2HKO Evo Stone Chansey is nothing to scoff at, not to mention Magic Guard! Also, as a side note, has anyone tried out Miracle Skin? What exactly does it do? I know it will be inferior, but I'm just curious if this might surprise opponents?

Miracle Skin gives a 50% chance to block status conditions. It's generally inferior to Magic Guard, since a Magic Guard user can switch into Will-o-Wisp or Toxic to gain an effective immunity to status.

Anyway, I battled an interesting Shinborah set yesterday:
Shinborah @ Flame Orb
Magic Guard
-Cosmic Power
-Psycho Shift
-Roost
-Whirlwind
It was pretty difficult to take out, with its constant phazing stopping my Unaware Quagsire setting up; in the end, I beat it with a critical hit Zapdos Thunderbolt.

Is it me, or its eyes/hands look unownish?

Anyway, this indeed does look interesting. Basically burning foes with higher accuracy than WoW, and being basically immune to status and residual damage is just great for support and its longevity with Roost/Cosmic Power.

This pokemon is everything Xatu should've been. It has a better stat distribution, a better movepool, and better abilities (barring Xatu's magic mirror though, that's intense). I think its biggest downfall will be its lacklustre defences.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Psycho shift is actually pretty cool considering the majority of bulky sweepers are physically oriented and Shinboraa can outspeed them. Of course, Whirlwind needs to be put on stall and be paired with Blissey if this thing is ever going to face Ice Beams and Thunderbolts.

Toxic and thunder wave...which are on almost all blissiy -___-

Are we talking about miracle skin or magic guard? Cuz the latter only Lowers the chance of secondary effects.
Nope.avi
Magic Guard prevents ALL indirect damage, such as Toxic, Burn, Entry Hazards, Life Orb recoil, and weather.

Nope.avi
Magic Guard prevents ALL indirect damage, such as Toxic, Burn, Entry Hazards, Life Orb recoil, and weather.
I must have used the word latter wrong, what is a .avi?

Shinboraa has a great movepool but it doesn't seem like it can do much(oh noz xatu syndrome 0_o) it's stats just aren't just as dazzle dazzle as they need to be...burn orb+pchyco pass(wats it called) is a blessing though, those other two can't burn can they :3

breh

強いだね
huh did I ever post back here about my results with CP/Assist Power/Roost/Miracle Eye Shinporaa? I guess not

It was really good frankly. If you can get rid of Skarm, trickers, doryuuzu, and Tyranitar, you win. I know it sounds like a lot of pokes and Dory really is a dominant threat in this meta, but it's actually really really good, especially if it gets 2 or more boosts up. Sandstorm helps it a lot too, as its immunity lets it stall out most walls over time.

Oh and all non-cm jirachis are effing annoying (but not impossible to kill).

I ought to try Charge Beam over miracle eye ala bologo once I stop playing VGC 11. Still, I found that miracle eye had a rather humorous purpose when I used shinporaa - I could stall out lots of random crap with that massive 64 pp.

How do you get in the Cosmic Powers without getting taunted/being set up bait anyway?

I figure it can switch on Earthquakes and some fighting moves, but otherwise, yeah... That 20 BP REALLY needs boosting.

Shinpora's ability to sit in the face of many less offensive Pokemon like Quagsire makes it easier. Obviously, after Taunts it has to resort to Assist Power unless it is backed by another attacking move, but if the Cosmic Powers are slotted in, you have a scary AP sweeper and something that can stall the crap out of everything with +6 defenses. Obviously, AP+CP isn't its only purpose, but AP is really useful if you can pull it off!

breh

強いだね
How do you get in the Cosmic Powers without getting taunted/being set up bait anyway?

I figure it can switch on Earthquakes and some fighting moves, but otherwise, yeah... That 20 BP REALLY needs boosting.
Unless you are being mean looked and taunted at the same time, what prevents you from switching? Hell, when is taunt not predictable or commonly used on a pokemon?

And in any case, as I said, if you can get two CPs in (not hard if they switch and you run max speed), you get a 100 BP move. I know it's not great but it's far from taunt fodder.

Okay, I've been using this thing as a lead on my standard team for the last few days and it's absolutely amazing.

Shinboraa (F) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Whirlwind

This set is a great stallbreaker and managed to out-stall half an entry hazard team before the enemy forfeited on the last one. Whirlwind stops bulky setups cold (Hippowdon, for example). It's also surprisingly bulky and its moderately high speed is a great asset on a Magic Guard user. Also, as a plus, it's a great status absorber and the perfect counter to Breloom (provided it has already been burned before you switch in to Breloom).

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I've been using this thing as a lead on my standard team for the last few days and it's absolutely amazing.

- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Whirlwind

This set is a great stallbreaker and managed to out-stall half an entry hazard team before the enemy forfeited on the last one. Whirlwind stops bulky setups cold (Hippowdon, for example). It's also surprisingly bulky and its moderately high speed is a great asset on a Magic Guard user. Also, as a plus, it's a great status absorber and the perfect counter to Breloom (provided it has already been burned before you switch in to Breloom).
Technically, wouldn't this be more term-fitted as a stall-breaker or a phazer instead of a lead? This particular Shinpora can't really face other leads without getting Taunted or KO'd, and that Air Slash can't hit much. The other leads successfully get their Entry Hazards out before you can Whirlwind them, too.

My two cents.

I must have used the word latter wrong, what is a .avi?
A .avi is a video file name. Please tell me you've seen one before... ^_^' Like a .wmv or something. Audio file names on the other hand can be .mp3 and other things like .wav and etc.

Anyways.... nope.avi is an internet meme. I won't go into detail, but its pretty funny the first time you see it. XD

------------------------------------------

So this thing is immune to SR? Thats sweet. It actually REALLY benefits from that.

I'm not sure because I only read the OP and this page.

But has anyone considered its phazing potential? It gets Whirlwind...

I'm not sure because I only read the OP and this page.

But has anyone considered its phazing potential? It gets Whirlwind...
... read this page again? There are people discussing a PHazing set only two posts above yours, you know. :) Speaking of which...

- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Whirlwind

Personally, I would invest those speed EVs in one of it's defenses. I know you mentioned its "moderately high speed", but I don't really agree with running 252 Spd EVs on a set with Whirlwind. 97 base speed isn't going to let it outspeed most sweepers anyway, and as you yourself mentioned, it's primary use is stalling and PHazing, so it would appreciate more bulk. (I suppose you could still use it if you're really worried about outspeeding a base 95 or something, but eh, I can't really think of a common one at the moment.)

Whirlwind with Psycho Shift is pretty interesting on this thing, though, letting you spread status while also being basically immune to it. I haven't used Shinboraa myself, but it's an interesting 'mon to say the least, as it gets a lot of great support moves (or maybe it's just that Magic Guard is a really cool ability. Or both). It's rather taunt-weak, though, but that has already been mentioned.

I would just run this thing the same as a clefable. i know it has more weaknesses. but its speed would make it worth it imo

Magic Guard+Cosmic Power+Roost=gg

Of course there are other ways to run it. This is just how i'd do it.

Technically, wouldn't this be more term-fitted as a stall-breaker or a phazer instead of a lead? This particular Shinpora can't really face other leads without getting Taunted or KO'd, and that Air Slash can't hit much. The other leads successfully get their Entry Hazards out before you can Whirlwind them, too.

My two cents.
Well, it's obviously not fit to be a dedicated lead, but since I play wifi I usually just scan the opponent's team and switch to a better lead.

... read this page again? There are people discussing a PHazing set only two posts above yours, you know. :) Speaking of which...

Personally, I would invest those speed EVs in one of it's defenses. I know you mentioned its "moderately high speed", but I don't really agree with running 252 Spd EVs on a set with Whirlwind. 97 base speed isn't going to let it outspeed most sweepers anyway, and as you yourself mentioned, it's primary use is stalling and PHazing, so it would appreciate more bulk. (I suppose you could still use it if you're really worried about outspeeding a base 95 or something, but eh, I can't really think of a common one at the moment.)

Whirlwind with Psycho Shift is pretty interesting on this thing, though, letting you spread status while also being basically immune to it. I haven't used Shinboraa myself, but it's an interesting 'mon to say the least, as it gets a lot of great support moves (or maybe it's just that Magic Guard is a really cool ability. Or both). It's rather taunt-weak, though, but that has already been mentioned.
Investing it into defenses would just make it into an inferior Cresselia. Its main selling point is its speed, take out Whirlwind and put a screen or Cosmic Power in that slot and it shouldn't have as big of a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)