Tournament Showdown Star Tournament [Finished, thanks everyone!]

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
showdownstartournament.png

logo by the amazing Brumirage

Hello everyone and welcome to the Showdown Star Tournament!

This is an invitational tournament that will feature eight of competitive Pokémon's brightest content creators duking it out in various formats. It will be hosted by the Pokémon Showdown administration team as a live event happening on Sunday, April 28th at 9 AM PST / 12 PM EST / 6 PM CET.

Format

The 8 participants will be divided in two pools of 4. They will there fight three of their fellow competitors in bo3s featuring Pokémon Showdown's most popular formats, namely:
  • Smogon's flagship format in SV OverUsed.​
  • Pokémon's official rules through the Ranked Battle Regulation F.​
  • PS!'s unique format, [Gen 9] Random Battle.​
The first format of each set will be picked at random, with the loser choosing the next one to be played. Each game won will count for 1 point, with the player with the most point in their pool moving forward to the finals. If there is an egality, the competitor who came on top of the bo3 between the two will be the one to pass. In case there is no clear outcome through points alone, quick Random Battle tiebreaks will act as deciders. Finally, the finals will be a classic bo3 between the two players who performed best during the pools stage.

Participants

The participants will be revealed in this thread and through the PS! Twitter account at a rate of one per day, starting tomorrow. Expect a mix of Smogon experts, VGC champions, and jacks-of-all-trades that will make for great matches to watch between top players in and out of their comfort zones!

sstpokeaim.png

jameswbaek.png

jimothycool.png

freezai.png

GLhxw-CWsAApSpL.png

moxieboosted.png

redemption.png

GMEvXs1XkAEf7aE.png

Spectating

The matches will happen on Pokémon Showdown's main server and be linked in the public "Showdown Star Tournament" room. The two pools and pairings will be revealed April 27th. Feel free to mark the date in your agendas, make your bets, (added another comma) and get comfortable when it comes time to enjoy this unique event live!

We hope everyone is as excited to see this happen as we are; enjoy and see you soon!

Last edited:

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hopefully some sweet content and bragging rights...
Exactly this. This is meant to be an exhibition event more so than a super competitive one, so providing any kind of fancy prize and/or trying to crown a unique Champion would miss the point. We would prefer for this to be considered as a rare opportunity of seeing unique pairings of well-known content creators playing with one another in various formats!

Teclis

PS Admin
Starting off strong: the Showdown Star Tournament's first participant will be someone we all know and love, who even made the Pokémon Showdown trailer featured on our homepage, aim!

sstpokeaim.png

This trainer card and all the ones that will follow were made by Clementine, a talented artist who has done many sprites. Check out his gallery for more!

fwiw: in the future, Twitter updates are likely to come before this thread's since we have scheduled all the posts, so consider following us there if you have an account!

Teclis

PS Admin
does smogon have a youtube channel and can the video of the battle be posted on it?
Smogon does have a Youtube channel but it is not really active nowadays; any video coverage surrounding the event will be done by the participants themselves at their discretion (and probably better than we could do!). If you want to see the matches themselves, replays will be published both in this thread and on the aforementioned Google Sheet.

View attachment 625843
logo by the amazing Brumirage

Hello everyone and welcome to the Showdown Star Tournament!

This is an invitational tournament that will feature eight of competitive Pokémon's brightest content creators duking it out in various formats. It will be hosted by the Pokémon Showdown administration team as a live event happening on Sunday, April 28th at 9 AM PST / 12 PM EST / 6 PM CET.

Format

The 8 participants will be divided in two pools of 4. They will there fight three of their fellow competitors in bo3s featuring Pokémon Showdown's most popular formats, namely:
  • Smogon's flagship format in SV OverUsed.​
  • Pokémon's official rules through the Ranked Battle Regulation F.​
  • PS!'s unique format, [Gen 9] Random Battle.​
The first format of each set will be picked at random, with the loser choosing the next one to be played. Each game won will count for 1 point, with the player with the most point in their pool moving forward to the finals. If there is an egality, the competitor who came on top of the bo3 between the two will be the one to pass. In case there is no clear outcome through points alone, quick Random Battle tiebreaks will act as deciders. Finally, the finals will be a classic bo3 between the two players who performed best during the pools stage.

Participants

The participants will be revealed in this thread and through the PS! Twitter account at a rate of one per day, starting tomorrow. Expect a mix of Smogon experts, VGC champions, and jacks-of-all-trades that will make for great matches to watch between top players in and out of their comfort zones!

Spectating

The matches will happen on Pokémon Showdown's main server and be linked in the public "Showdown Star Tournament" room. The two pools and pairings will be revealed April 27th. Feel free to mark the date in your agendas, make your bets, (added another comma) and get comfortable when it comes time to enjoy this unique event live!

We hope everyone is as excited to see this happen as we are; enjoy and see you soon!
absolutely love the agency

Teclis

PS Admin
The tournament is now finished! I won't spoil the results for those who have not watched it live, but all the replays are available on this Google Sheet:

https://spo.ink/showdownstartournamentsheet

Watch it from the players' point of view: Cybertron / freezai (coming soon) / Jimothy Cool / MoxieBoosted (coming soon) / pokeaim / RedEmption (french commentary)
sstwinner.png

This event was made possible by the combined efforts of many people and I want to take some time to sincerely thank them:

#1: The participants themselves. Your names are all over this thread and I already told you my piece on Discord, but everyone on this website owes you for the role you are playing in competitive Pokémon's popularity & the fun you provide thousands of persons all around the world through your content. Thank you.

#2: The Pokémon Showdown staff and contributors of course:
  • My fellow Administrators, who pretty much gave me carte blanche for this event's organization. I do not think our site ever advertised anything this hard before, but you trusted me all along and I am grateful for it. I hope I did not let you down!
  • The global staff members who came online to moderate the event's chatroom despite the absolute madness that a 1k+ users chat was. Special mention to Clementine and ironwater who sailed the ship when I took a break in the middle of the tournament.
  • Every single person who has spent some time over the years contributing to this site and helping it rise it to the place it has today. I know better than most how much effort by how many people goes unnoticed. You may not have been involved with this particular event, or may be long gone, but what you made endures and keeps benefiting others today.
#3: The two artists who created the tournament's visual identity in Brumirage and Clementine. You are my go-to persons for crazy projects and never let me done. Your creations are incredible and I hope more people will get to see them after your participation to this event.

And of course, every single spectator who joined the fun, spread the word about the event, and was part of this experience. It was exciting, it was chaotic, it was unique, and, as far as I'm concerned a great success. Wishing you all the best until next time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)