Programming Showdex - An Auto-Updating Damage Calculator Built into Showdown!

Really nice extension, I don't have to spend 20 seconds some turns just typing in the name of pokemons, and writing my ev spreads down.
A small problem is that calcs don't take into account psyshock being based on the physical side, I haven't checked with moves such as psystrike or photon geyser, so you might want to check it out,

It is like crack I can't stop using it. Amazing work and I hope this gains more traction soon once some bugs are fixed.
Same here, I feel naked now when I don't use it. We're happy you've been enjoying it! We'll actually be pushing out a big update today, which will include Firefox support, support for other PS servers, support for older gens & National Dex, a new Hellodex with the ability to reopen Calcdex tabs, and a bunch of bug fixes.

We hope it gains traction too, be sure to tell your friends :)

Really nice extension, I don't have to spend 20 seconds some turns just typing in the name of pokemons, and writing my ev spreads down.
A small problem is that calcs don't take into account psyshock being based on the physical side, I haven't checked with moves such as psystrike or photon geyser, so you might want to check it out,
Ahhh the Psyshock bug, we thought we fixed it but I guess not. We're gonna look into it and hopefully have a fix included in the patch releasing today (it'll take some time for the Chrome store to approve it though sadly). But if not, we'll have it in the next patch. Let us know if you have any other feedback or thoughts, we'd love to hear it :) thanks for using it!!

We were able to fix it :) this was actually super clutch because it made us realize that we were using a 2 year old version of the Damage Calc API, so we've updated it and now everything's working. Apparently the Damage Calc wasn't updated on NPM so that's why our version was out of date. The fix will be out with the new patch we're releasing tonight (I'll update the thread when it gets approved)

Thanks for the feedback!

Same here, I feel naked now when I don't use it. We're happy you've been enjoying it! We'll actually be pushing out a big update today, which will include Firefox support, support for other PS servers, support for older gens & National Dex, a new Hellodex with the ability to reopen Calcdex tabs, and a bunch of bug fixes.

We hope it gains traction too, be sure to tell your friends :)

Does the update automatically occur? I'm not familiar with the Chrome web store to know how exactly that works. Will there be a post about what exactly is in these new updates?

I realize it is a niche thing to ask for but is there any plan to add mod support for this aka let it work for stuff like godly gift and the like? Note the bot is still amazing without this I just wanted to ask, you guys have done amazing work!

Does the update automatically occur? I'm not familiar with the Chrome web store to know how exactly that works. Will there be a post about what exactly is in these new updates?
It will automatically update! Unfortunately it takes a little while for Chrome to approve the update, so it's not out yet (it is on Firefox though). I'll update this post once it's released. And here are the patch notes :)

I realize it is a niche thing to ask for but is there any plan to add mod support for this aka let it work for stuff like godly gift and the like? Note the bot is still amazing without this I just wanted to ask, you guys have done amazing work!
At some point we'd like to add mod support if it's not too hard, but right now we're prioritizing supporting more of the main formats and older gens.
We've never played Godly Gift either, so we'd probably need some guidance about what's different and what we'd need to account for.

Glad you like it though :) thank you!

Last question I swear will you be adding side server support so it can work on places like sports? I can easily see people who draft loving this.
As I would love to be able to use it on Sports and Dawn, though hopefully that isn't due to chrome being bad and forcing long delays on the updates

Last edited:
Last question I swear will you be adding side server support so it can work on places like sports? I can easily see people who draft loving this.
As I would love to be able to use it on Sports and Dawn, though hopefully that isn't due to chrome being bad and forcing long delays on the updates
We actually just added support for the Sports, Dawn, and Smogtours servers! It's working on the Firefox version and we're just waiting for the Chrome update to be approved and it will be out for Chrome as well.

I found a minor bug: gen 8 pokemon holding a zmove in natdex seems to crash the calc. Ive been loving this extension so far other than that though
Thanks! :woo:

If you're on Chrome and Showdex v1.0.0, that's actually something we fixed in v1.0.1, which was submitted last week and is currently still pending review. The Chrome Web Store team is really taking their sweet time with this version for some reason... sigh.

:changry:

(Regardless, your Chrome will automatically update to the newest version of Showdex for you once the Chrome Web Store team approves it!)

Hey, great project, I like it a lot! Just a few questions (using Firefox):

1)
calc.png
There's slight overlap here as you can see (the grey thing is the scroll bar). Doesn't really hide any info, it's just a cosmetic thing I'd consider changing

2) Are you guys planning on adding random battles support (including the info on potential sets / options that the "random battles" option in the official calc shows)?

3) Are you planning on adding an option to toggle certain things? I feel like there's a lot of info that isn't always neeed. Especially data on my own team is somewhat superfluous I think - All you'd really need are the moves and the corresponding damages + stat stage modifiers. So being able to toggle the display of my own ability, typing, nature, item and stats would definitely help declutter the appearance. Those are things one doesn't really need to modify in the calc in most cases, and they're already available when hovering over the Pokémon
(I haven't tested if things like trick / entrainment get accounted for or if those require manual changes, but I assumed they would lead to automatic updates)

4) I think a visual separation between the three fields (my team, weather / screens, their team) would also help clean up the appearance

im on firefox, it says im on v1.0.1
If you're on Chrome and Showdex v1.0.0, that's actually something we fixed in v1.0.1, which was submitted last week and is currently still pending review. The Chrome Web Store team is really taking their sweet time with this version for some reason... sigh.
sorry i probably should have clarified, but im on firefox v1.0.1 and the bug doesnt appear to have been fixed

Hey, great project, I like it a lot! Just a few questions (using Firefox):

1)
View attachment 453124 There's slight overlap here as you can see (the grey thing is the scroll bar). Doesn't really hide any info, it's just a cosmetic thing I'd consider changing

2) Are you guys planning on adding random battles support (including the info on potential sets / options that the "random battles" option in the official calc shows)?

3) Are you planning on adding an option to toggle certain things? I feel like there's a lot of info that isn't always neeed. Especially data on my own team is somewhat superfluous I think - All you'd really need are the moves and the corresponding damages + stat stage modifiers. So being able to toggle the display of my own ability, typing, nature, item and stats would definitely help declutter the appearance. Those are things one doesn't really need to modify in the calc in most cases, and they're already available when hovering over the Pokémon
(I haven't tested if things like trick / entrainment get accounted for or if those require manual changes, but I assumed they would lead to automatic updates)

4) I think a visual separation between the three fields (my team, weather / screens, their team) would also help clean up the appearance
Thanks for the feedback!
1. Yeah that's a Windows scrollbar issue. We can install a React library that makes the scrollbar more like Mac's, and that should fix the issue
2. We already have that included actually! If you click on a move, in the dropdown box you'll see the title "Pool", which displays all the moves they could possibly have in Randoms. Same goes for their item and ability.
3. We do plan on adding a settings menu to allow you to toggle things on/off and change the UI. We could add a feature to hide certain things like you're saying, I could see that being useful!
4. In terms of a visual separation, what did you have in mind?

im on firefox, it says im on v1.0.1

sorry i probably should have clarified, but im on firefox v1.0.1 and the bug doesnt appear to have been fixed
Yikes, you're right! This affects both Chrome (& Opera by extension) and Firefox.

Damn, not out of the National Dex woods yet haha. I've added this to the list of bugs to fix for the next release. Thanks for letting me know :)

Runo

How it feels to procrastinate on everything
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Holding a Z-move doesn't crash the calc on Chrome from what I've seen. I played about 11 games with a Rockium-Z mon, and had no crashes. I had a Z-move used against me as well, and also had no crashes.

Patch 1.0.1 is out now!
You can read the patch notes here. This patch added support for National Dex (except for a bug with Gen 8 pokemon holding a Z-Crystal) and all generations except for 1 and 2. It also adds support for other PS servers like Sports, Smogtours, and Dawn.

Here's a quick list of some notable changes:
  • You can now reopen Calcdex tabs you've already closed from the redesigned HelloDex
  • Type any value higher than 252 into the EV field and it will default back to 252
  • Hover over the damage range for a move (i.e. 22 - 33 %) to see the OG Damage Calc text like " 40 Atk Snorlax Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 70-83 (23 - 27.3%) -- 59.7% chance to 4HKO". Clicking on it will copy the text to your clipboard (thank you Nails for the suggestion)!
  • Fixed BDSP format (but there still seems to be a Psyshock bug in BDSP)
For the complete list, make sure to read the patch notes above! Give it a try and let us know what you think, there are surely more bugs to be found of course :)

Holding a Z-move doesn't crash the calc on Chrome from what I've seen. I played about 11 games with a Rockium-Z mon, and had no crashes. I had a Z-move used against me as well, and also had no crashes.
Was the Rockium-Z mon a Gen 8 mon? I'm thinking that's the issue, since it never crashed when we tested it as well, but now that we tried it with a Gen 8 mon, it crashes.

Runo

Was the Rockium-Z mon a Gen 8 mon? I'm thinking that's the issue, since it never crashed when we tested it as well, but now that we tried it with a Gen 8 mon, it crashes.
It was on Garchomp. but now that you mention it, the calc DID crash on an Icium-Z urshifu (a sample set in NDUU)

It was on Garchomp. but now that you mention it, the calc DID crash on an Icium-Z urshifu (a sample set in NDUU)
Yup looks like we've found the problem :) we'll have it fixed by the next patch! Wish we could patch it immediately but unfortunately it takes a while for the updates to get approved, so we like to bundle more fixes at a time.

Runo

unfortunately it takes a while for the updates to get approved, so we like to bundle more fixes at a time.
While we're on that subject; there's an issue I'm having where Mega Evolutions aren't calculated until after they Mega Evolve, so it messes with the calculations a bit (since they get stronger/bulkier after Mega Evolving).

A quick fix would be to just allow us to change the Pokémon's form manually so we can calculate the damage properly (ex: letting us swap to Aegislash-Blade or Darmanitan-Zen manually to calculate damage). This also works for Megas too since they're also forms technically.

Other than that, really nice job. This is amazing :heart:

2. We already have that included actually! If you click on a move, in the dropdown box you'll see the title "Pool", which displays all the moves they could possibly have in Randoms. Same goes for their item and ability.
4. In terms of a visual separation, what did you have in mind?
2) The issue I had was that nothing showed up at all during (unrated) random battles. It recognized that I was in a battle, but didn't show any info
4) Probably nothing fancy, just a line maybe. But maybe it would just make it look more busy and distract from the important stuff, not sure

Edit: I noticed the add-on description in Firefox says "Pokémon Showdown extension that harnesses the power of parabolic calculus to strategically extract your opponents' ELO."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)